不,我觉得可能会让你想起什么。
No, I thought it might have, um, might have reminded you of something.
小时候觉得很恐怖的事,也许,就像反复出现的噩梦。
Something you found frightening as a child, perhaps, like a recurring nightmare.
比如《大海里满是大船》
Like “The Sea Full Of Big Ships.”
我可能不小心看了你的日记。
I might have accidentally looked in your journal.
嗯,……这是好管闲事。
Well, that… that was nosy.
恐怕这是我的缺点之一。
I’m afraid it’s one of my many flaws.
爱管闲事吗?-是的,我很爱管闲事。
-Nosiness? -I’m very nosy, yes.
这也是我选择当家庭教师的部分原因。
It’s partly why I chose to become a governess.
你觉得恐怖吗?
Did you find it horrifying?
所有那些黑暗和令人不安的幻象?
All those dark and disturbing visions?
不。说实话,我觉得很安心。
No. I found it quite reassuring, to be honest.
我经常做噩梦,梦到无法离开某个地方。
I tend to have nightmares about not being able to get out of places.
我曾经在一个非常复杂的谷仓里度过了一个完整的梦。
I once spent an entire dream stuck in a very complicated barn.
谢天谢地你没被困在衣柜里。
Well, thank God you didn’t get stuck in that wardrobe.
是的,感谢上帝。
Yeah, thank God.
感谢上帝让我摆脱了困境。
Thank God I had you to let me out of it.
我的上帝!
Good God!
肯定是在厕所里发生的。
It definitely did happen in the toilet.
——哦,你好。- – – – – -你好。
– Oh, hello. – Hello.
这不是我最喜欢的家庭吗,韦恩一家。你好,女孩。你好吗,路易斯?
Well, if it isn’t my favourite family, the Wains. Hello, girls. How are you, Louis?
很好,谢谢,杜·弗莱恩夫人。嗯,你好吗?
Very well, thank you, Mrs Du Frayne. Um, how are you?
很好。你父亲葬礼上的悼词太棒了
Quite well. Terrific eulogy at your father’s funeral.
谢谢你!我每次见到你你都这么说。
Thank you. You say that every time I see you.
你一定是著名的艾米丽·理查森。
And you must be the famous Emily Richardson.
-很高兴见到你。我们刚才说我们不常在剧院看到家庭教师。
-Nice to meet you. -We were just remarking that we don’t often see governesses at the theatre.
这是你的第一次吗?
Was it your first time?
我听说你对厕所有点困惑。
I hear you got a little bit confused… about the lavatories.
是的,困惑。
Yes, confused.
很迷人。
Quite charming.
你显然是个聪明的女人,理查森小姐,你的教学给我们留下了深刻的印象。
You are clearly an intelligent woman, Miss Richardson, and we’ve been impressed by your teaching.
但你的某些行为,以及你鼓励我可笑弟弟的某些行为是我们无法容忍♥的。
But there are certain aspects of your behaviour, and certain aspects of the behaviour that you encourage in my ridiculous brother that we simply cannot tolerate.
今晚本来是要举办一场教育活动的。
This evening was intended to be an educational event.
但现在,多亏了你,这家人成了镇上的话题。
Yet now, thanks to you, this family is the talk of the town.
而且不是一种好的方式。
And not in a good way.
你有三天时间把事情安排好。
You have three days to get your affairs in order.
我只是想谢谢你,韦恩先生,今晚过得很愉快。
I just wanted to thank you, Mr Wain, for a very pleasant evening.
我度过了一段非常愉快的时光。
I had a very nice time.
我教过无数次在安全的教室里冒险的故事。
I’ve taught of countless adventures from the safety of a schoolroom.
但能接受一次这样的挑战也很令人兴奋。
But it was exciting to be taken on one for once.
…顺便说一句,我喜欢你的披肩。
I… I like your shawl, by the way.
谢谢你!那是我妈妈的。
Thank you. It was my mother’s.
它是蓝色的。
It’s blue.
是的。它是蓝色的。
Yep. It’s blue.
再见,路易。
Goodbye, Louis.
我不在乎,我不在乎,我不在乎别人怎么想。
I don’t care, I don’t care, I don’t care what people think.
我也不知道。
Nor do I.
-嗯!关上门。-什么?
-Mmm! Close the door. -What?
关上门。哦。哦。
Close the door. Ooh. Ooh.
-发生了什么事?-我被裙子绊倒了。
– What happened? – I fell over my dress.
——我很抱歉。-不是你的错。
– I’m sorry. – It’s not your fault.
坐下。
Sit down.
当这段奇特的罗曼史笨拙地开花结果时,他们社会地位的差异引起了巨大的争议。
As this peculiar romance blossomed clumsily into flower, the discrepancy in their social standing became the cause of great controversy.
有传言说,他们的一位邻居一听到他们求爱的消息就立刻呕吐了。
One neighbour, it was widely rumoured, vomited immediately upon hearing news of their courtship.
因为一个绅士和一个奴婢阶级的女人结婚,被认为无异于造♥反♥。
For the coupling of a gentleman with a lady of the servile class was considered nothing short of revolting.
更不用说无可否认的迷人的理查森小姐,以当时的标准来看,绝对是老朽了。
Not to mention that the undeniably charming Miss Richardson was, by the standards of the day, positively geriatric.
但路易对这些愚蠢的先入之见毫不在意,于是在1884年1月,他向爱米丽求婚。
But Louis cared little for these foolish preconceptions, and in January of the year 1884, he asked Emily for her hand in marriage.
修剪底部。修剪底部。
Trim the bottom. Trim the bottom.
尘土飞扬。-有点脏。
– It’s dusty. – It’s a bit dusty.
W夫人得到一镑十先令
MRS W WAIN ONE POUND, TEN SHILLINGS
几个星期过去了,几个月过去了,尽管他和妹妹们的关系最近很不融洽,路易斯还是悄悄地继续努力支持她们。
The weeks turned to months, and in spite of the newly fractious relationship with his sisters, Louis quietly continued in his endeavours to support them.
每个星期,他都会寄给他亲爱的母亲一张数额适中的支票,甚至开始接受私人委托为狗画肖像,拜访公爵和公爵夫人、贵族和女士们,以及他们娇宠的狗朋友。
Every week, he would post a modest cheque to his dear mother, and even began to take on private commissions as a dog portraitist, visiting dukes and duchesses, lords and ladies,and their pampered canine friends.
与此同时,他继续为威廉爵士报道一般新闻和各种农业展览。
At the same time, he continued with his work covering general news and various agricultural shows for Sir William.
在这宝贵的六个月里,路易和爱米丽过着一种完全正常的婚姻生活,尽管这在社会上是不合情理的。
And thus for six precious months, Louis and Emily lived a perfectly normal, if societally unconscionable married life.
我想你是个受过教育的女人,韦恩夫人。
I gather you’re an educated woman, Mrs Wain.
是的,医生。我是一名家庭教师。
Yes, Doctor. I was a governess.
…我明白了。
I… I see.
这样的话,我相信当我说你得了晚期乳腺癌时你会理解我的。
Well, in that case, I trust you will understand me when I say… you have terminal cancer of the breast.
是的,医生。
Yes, Doctor.
我刚开始喜欢上它。
Just when I was starting to enjoy it.
那是什么?
What was that?
奇怪。
Strange.
哦,路易,看。
Oh, Louis, look.
你好啊,小东西。
Hello there, little thing.
-你好。-你好,猫。
-Hello. -Hello there, cat.
你浑身湿透。你这个可怜的小东西。
You’re soaking wet. You poor little thing.
你为什么不和我们一起到暖和的地方来呢?
Why don’t you come in the warm with us?
是吗?你好。
Yeah? Hello.
我们会照顾你的。我们不会,路易?
We’ll take care of you. Won’t we, Louis?
是的,我们会的。
Yes, we will.
你好。你好。
Hello. Hello.
哦。
Ooh.
没关系。没关系。
It’s all right. It’s all right.
下雨了。只是在下雨。
Rain. It’s just raining.
那是谁?
Who’s that?
这是路易。
It’s Louis.
还有一条小毛巾给你。
Got another little towel for you.
-好多了,不是吗?可以去吗?
-That’s better, isn’t it? -See?
这是更好的。
That’s better.
这是更好的。
That’s better.
-你好。-你好。
-Hello. -Hello.
-你好。-你好。
-Hello. -Hello.
你好。
Hello.
你要去哪里?
Where do you think you’re going?
你想叫什么名字?
What would you like to be called?
珀西吗?
Percy?
-我很喜欢珀西。保罗?
-I quite like Percy. -Paul?
不是保罗。
Not Paul.
彼得?
Peter?
彼得。
Peter.
彼得。彼得。
-Peter. -Peter.
这肯定是一个快速混乱当本迪戈在这里与本迪戈Shuffle!
It’s sure to be a quick kerfuffle when Bendigo’s here with the Bendigo Shuffle!
真是个好奇的小家伙,不是吗?
Curious little fellow, isn’t he?
是的,但他是电人,赫伯。
Yes, but he’s electric, Herb.
看他的幻想多么崇拜他。
Look how his fancy all adore him.
只有对手的一半大小,但他知道如何利用人群的能量。
Half his opponent’s size, yet he knows how to harness the electricity of the crowd.
你是在说摄影师吗?
Are you talking about the photographers?
看起来正确,草。电。
Look properly, Herb. The electricity.
终于,我开始明白了。
Finally, I’m starting to understand it.
家里一切都好吗?
Is everything all right at home?
-我是说和艾米丽?-哦,是的,当然。
-With Emily, I mean? -Oh, yes, of course.
我们有一个新朋友。他叫彼得。
We have a new friend. He’s called Peter.
彼得?他是一只猫。我们现在有一只猫。
-Peter? -He’s a cat. We have a cat now.
-你是说用来抓老鼠的?-不,赫伯,当宠物。
-For mousing, you mean? -No, Herb, as a pet.
好吧,路易,我很担心你
Okay, Louis, I’m worried about you.
-为什么?-你养了一只猫当宠物。
-Why? -You have a cat as a pet.
你知道这句话的真正含义吗,赫伯?
Do you know the true meaning of the phrase, “There’s no time like the present,” Herb?
而是没有。太短暂了。
It’s that there isn’t. It’s too fleeting.
事实上,我有一个假设,就是电推动我们穿越时间。
In fact, I have a hypothesis that electricity is what pushes us through time.
我们用电力的力量把过去变成未来。
We turn the past into the future with the power of our electricity.
但这个过程是完全可逆的。
But that process is entirely reversible.
回忆过去和想象未来没有什么不同。
Remembering the past is no different from imagining the future.
这和生活本身没有什么不同。
And neither is different to life itself.
我记得将来艾米丽会在那里。
I can remember Emily in the future and she will be there.
你明白我的意思吗,赫伯?
Do you see what I’m saying, Herb?
你明白我在说什么吗?
Do you see what I’m saying?
本迪戈!本迪戈!本迪戈!本迪戈!
Bendigo! Bendigo! Bendigo! Bendigo!
本迪戈!本迪戈!本迪戈!
Bendigo! Bendigo! Bendigo!
但这些并不能体现战斗的精神,威廉爵士。
But these don’t capture the spirit of the fight, Sir William.
是的,他们知道。
Yes, they do.
这就是它们流行的原因。
That’s why they’re in vogue.