理查森小姐,你为什么在衣柜里?
Miss Richardson, why were you in the wardrobe?
呆在一个狭小的空间里能帮助我集中精神。
It helps me to concentrate to be in a confined space.
至于莎士比亚,-莎士比亚,《暴风雨》,我已经对它了如指掌了,所以我屏蔽了这个世界,在脑海里反复回味。
And with Shakespeare, – SHAKESPEARE – THE TEMPEST – I know it inside out already, so I block out the world and play it through in my head.
这一切都很好,但问题是,我刚刚说过,我非常精通数学和化学……那你就不需要我了。
That’s all very nice, but the thing is I was just saying, I am perfectly well versed in mathematics and chemistry… You shan’t be needing my services, then.
-我这就走。-不。
-I’ll be on my way. -No.
理查森小姐,他就是个混♥蛋♥。
Miss Richardson, he’s just being an ass.
事实上,不用每天早上4:30起床准备功课,我就松了一口气。
I’m actually relieved not to have to get up at 4:30 every morning to prepare lessons.
我有点担心古希腊人。
And I was a bit worried about the ancient Greek.
荷马对抑扬顿挫的使用确实让它变得相当困难。
Homer’s use of the metrical ictus does make it rather hard.
所有那些女性的凯撒拉。
All those feminine caesuras.
我毫不怀疑,他们在你能干的手里会好得多。
I have no doubt they’ll be much better off in your accomplished hands.
我只是在想,我答应自己在月底前提交我的稳定周期专利,如果我教我的姐♥妹♥们♥女性女士……-Caesuras。确实不错。
I was just thinking, I promised myself to submit my steady cycle patent before the end of the month, if I’m teaching my sisters the feminine senoras… -Caesuras. -Exactly that.
我没有时间。
I won’t have time.
所以你想让我留下?
So you’d like me to stay?
我可怜的丈夫威廉被他在斯塔福德郡的家人赶了出来。
My poor husband William was thrown out by his family in Staffordshire.
-他们都是新教♥徒♥。韭菜。
-They were all Protestant. -Leek.
这个小镇叫韭菜,理查森小姐。
The town’s called Leek, Miss Richardson.
),有趣吗?——搞笑。
-Isn’t that funny? -That’s hilarious.
他们是这样说的。
They talk like this up there.
他想成为天主教♥徒♥,但他父亲不让,所以他就逃跑了。
He wanted to be a Catholic, but his father wouldn’t let him, and so he just ran away.
-他是天主教♥徒♥。嘘,玛丽。
-He was a Cathoholic. -Shush, Marie.
-你怎么认识他的?-我觉得很有趣。
-How did you meet him? -I thought it was funny.
通过教会。
Through the church.
我为教堂设计了挂毯。哦。你越来越重了. …他来自一个丝绸世家。
I designed tapestries for the… Ooh. You’re getting heavy. …for the church and he came from a silk family.
他是一名布衣设计师。
He was a draper.
还有我的父亲……你瞧,我是法国人。
And my own father… I’m French, you see.
...他把自己伪装成女人偷渡到英国。
…smuggled himself to England by disguising himself as a woman.
我们是爱恶作剧的一家人,理查森小姐。
We’re a family of mischief-makers, Miss Richardson.
我们还不如被称为恶作剧。
We may as well have been called the Shenanigans.
这三个人会让你忙得不可开交的。
You’ll have your hands full with these three.
至于你们俩,你们也该自己找几个好丈夫了,不是吗?
And as for you two, high time you found some nice husbands of your own, don’t you think?
我们会的,母亲,总有一天。
We will, Mother, in time.
我在公车上被一个戴着帽子留着小胡子的男人狠狠地瞪了一眼。
Well, I was given quite the look from a hatted man with a moustache on the bus.
绝对的大胡子和非常突出的眉毛。
Absolutely enormous moustache and a very prominent brow.
是的,它非常突出。
Yes, it was very prominent.
就像一个圆顶。但是,嗯,……好吧,这一瞥可真够吓人的。
It was like a dome. But, um, it… Well, it was quite the glance.
这是令人尴尬的。
It was embarrassing.
-他看起来富有吗,约瑟芬?—妈妈。
-Did he seem wealthy, Josephine? -Mother.
约瑟芬要嫁给一个留着大胡子的男人。
Josephine’s going to marry a man with a big moustache.
卡洛琳,他可能有个弟弟
Caroline, he might have a brother.
卡洛琳小姐。
Miss Caroline.
一切还满意吗,理查森小姐?
Is everything to your satisfaction, Miss Richardson?
非常感谢。
Very much so.
你为什么这么问?
Why do you ask?
哦,不。我只是想说,如果你不喜欢这个房♥间,我很乐意和你交换。
Oh, no. Just, I was going to say, if the room wasn’t to your liking, I would be perfectly happy for you to swap with me.
没有这个必要。我很舒服。
That won’t be necessary. I’m very comfortable.
当然,但我不想让你感到不自在。
Of course, but I wouldn’t want you to feel… ill at ease.
和一个男人共处一室。
Sharing the floor…with a man.
为什么会让我觉得不舒服?
Why would that make me feel ill at ease?
很好。
Very well.
请整理好您的随身物品。
Please keep all of your belongings in order.
你是我姐♥妹♥们♥的榜样。
You are here as an example to my sisters.
当然可以。顺便说一句,你和他们相处得很好。
Of course. You’re very good with them, by the way.
做大人一定很累吧。
It must be exhausting, having to be the grown-up.
我是成年人了,所以不累。
Well, I am a grown-up, so it’s not exhausting.
你为什么拿着一块石头?
Why are you holding a rock?
我经常旅行,所以我喜欢从我长大的什鲁斯伯里带一些石头。让我有家的感觉。
I travel a lot, so I like to bring a few rocks with me from Shrewsbury, where I grew up. Helps me to feel at home.
你为什么不买♥♥这个呢?
Why don’t you have this one?
睡个好觉,理查森小姐。
Sleep well… Miss Richardson.
早。早。
-Morning. -Morning.
路易学会了通过不断运动来控制自己头脑中的混乱,多年来他一直满足于疯狂地追求他的各种兴趣,作为失败的美术老师,失败的音乐家,有抱负的发明家,热情的业余爱好者,当然,还有兼♥职♥插画家。
Louis had learnt to control the chaos in his mind by always moving and for many years had been quite content frantically pursuing his various interests, as failed art teacher, failed musician,aspiring inventor, enthusiastic polyhobbyist, and, of course, part-time illustrator.

但有一件事他从来没有考虑过,尽管他一直面临着寻找一个合适的年轻配偶的压力,那就是他有可能过任何浪漫的生活。
But the one thing he had never considered, in spite of constant pressure to find an eligible young spouse, was the possibility of ever leading any kind of romantic life.
因此,当一种奇怪的、刺痛的感觉在他的胸中噼啪作响,在他的腰间闪闪发光时,我想,公平地说,无辜的韦恩先生并不真的知道到底发生了什么。
And so, as a strange, tingly feeling crackled in his breast and sparkled through this loins, I think it would be fair to say that the innocent Mr Wain didn’t really know what the hell was going on.
当然,他也有一些想法。但他怎么能确定这些感情会得到回报呢?
He had an inkling, of course. But how could he be sure that these feelings would be reciprocated?
他那难看的兔唇又怎样呢?他用他那精心的小胡子把它伪装得那么漂亮。
What of the unsightly harelip that he so sproutily disguised with his careful moustache?
仔细一看,她肯定会注意到这个不幸的畸形,然后跑一英里。
Upon closer scrutiny, she would surely notice this unfortunate deformity and run a mile.
也许,当她发现,尽管他的外表相当顽皮,但他的内心却是一股可怕的尖叫飓风,充满了严重的焦虑和反复出现的噩梦,她就不会那么惊讶了。

Or perhaps, she would not be so impressed to discover that in spite of the rather playful exterior, his mind was a dark, screaming hurricane of crippling anxieties and recurring nightmares.
当然,更不用说那些爱说三道四的邻居们了,他们都认为一个地位低下的家庭教师从事这种资产阶级的求爱游戏是可怕的。
Not to mention, of course, the gossiping neighbours who would all consider it ghastly for a lowly governess to be engaging in these bourgeois games of courtship.
艾米丽•理查森(Emily Richardson)对待雇主隐私的态度有些不合传统,这已经引起了爱管闲事的杜•弗莱恩太太(Mrs Du Frayne)的注意。据说,她是泰晤士河这一边最多嘴的人。

Emily Richardson’s slightly unconventional attitude to her employer’s privacy had already caught the eye of nosy-posy Mrs Du Frayne, who was, by all accounts,the blabberiest mouth this side of the River Thames.
一言以蔽之,在路易和爱米丽的道路上还存在着许多障碍。
Suffice it to say, there were a great many obstacles that stood in the way of Louis and Emily.
在另一个世界里,他可能会决定不去打扰威廉·英格拉姆爵士(Sir William Ingram)在伊斯灵顿的土耳其浴场的日常生活。
And in a different world, he might well have decided not to disturb Sir William Ingram’s daily splosh at the Turkish baths in Islington.
啊。早上好,韦恩先生。
Ah. Good morning, Mr Wain.
早上好,威廉爵士。
Good morning, Sir William.
我不常在这里见到你。
Don’t often see you in here.
我是来和你谈谈的。
I’ve come to speak to you.
-你有时间吗?是的,当然,路易斯。
-Have you got a moment? -Yes, of course, Louis.
让我做完早操。
Just let me finish my morning exercises.
是的,当然。
Yes, of course.
事实上,既然来了,我也可以自己跑几圈。
Actually, I might do some laps myself now that I’m here.
小心!小心,路易。
Careful! Careful, Louis.
哦!路易?
Oh! Louis?
你终于醒悟了,年轻人。
So you’ve come to your senses, young man.
为什么突然改变主意?
Why the sudden change of heart?
我们请了一位家庭教师来教我的妹妹们。
Well, we’ve hired a governess to teach my younger sisters.
——家庭教师吗?-嗯。
-A governess? -Mmm.
你也不想让她因为你付不起钱就跑到别的人家去吧。
Ah, and you don’t want her dashing off to some other family because you can’t pay her.
对,类似的事情。
Something like that, yes.
我先给你贫困线工资,这是标准工资,但会是正常工资。
Well, I’ll start you off on poverty wages, as is standard, but they will be regular.
恐怕我们目前无法支付您度假或其他费用。
And I’m afraid we can’t pay you for holidays or expenses at the moment.
这些条件你满意吗,韦恩先生?
Will those terms be to your satisfaction, Mr Wain?
好。
Good.
水龙头,水龙头。的进步。
Tap, tap. Advance.
推进。水龙头,水龙头。
-Advance. -Tap, tap.
水龙头,水龙头。的进步。推进。好吧。
-Tap, tap. Advance. -Advance. Okay.
警戒!
En garde!
警戒
-En garde! -En garde!
卡洛琳,我能教你怎么击剑吗?
Caroline, can I show you how I do fencing?
不是现在。
Not right now.
警戒。-请文明点,姑娘们。
-En garde. -Please be civilised, girls.
韦恩太太,请你给我们钢琴伴奏好吗?
Mrs Wain, would you accompany us on the piano?
我很乐意为你弹钢琴。
I would love to accompany you on the piano.
让他们看看我们一直在练习什么。
Let’s show them what we’ve been practising.
伦敦每一个锱铢必较的流氓都知道这招。
Every penny-counting rogue in London knows that trick.
-你不应该答应的。你没有和他讨价还价吗?
-You’re not supposed to say yes. -Did you not bargain with him?
-我什么都没教你吗?-我很满意,赫伯。
-Have I taught you nothing? -I’m happy with it, Herb.
事实上,我真的该回去了。
Actually, I really ought to be getting back.
我得开始研究我的稳定周期专利了。
I have to start work on my steady cycle patent.
忘记这一点。没有人知道它是什么。
Forget that. Nobody understands what it is.
别他妈这么烦人。如果你快乐,你就快乐。
Don’t be such a fucking drip. If you’re happy, you’re happy.
我是说,你被骗了,所以我不明白。
I mean, you’ve been swindled, so I don’t understand that.
让我们找点乐子。我有三个星期没见到你了。
Let’s have some fun. I haven’t seen you for three weeks.
你和你的怪姐妹在一起的时间太长了。
You’ve been spending too much time with your weird sisters.
你是伦敦顶级报纸的插画师。
You are staff illustrator for the top newspaper in London.
你现在需要的就是一个胸脯丰满的贵族的爱抚。
All you need now is the loving touch of a well-bosomed aristocrat.
这就是菲尔·梅,无礼的恶魔。
That’s the thing about Phil May, the saucy fiend.
总是招待一群鬼鬼祟祟的富家女。
Always hosting a skulk of wealthy young vixens.
没有你,我们无法庆祝你的成功。
We can’t celebrate your success without you.
也许待会儿会有舞会?
There’ll be dancing later, perhaps?
只要你在,就会有的,我很清楚。
There will be if you’re here, I know that much.
-我加入-来吧。
-I’m in. -Come on.
嘘!
Shh!
保持安静。
Be quiet.
哦。我很安静。
Oh. I was so quiet.
玛丽做噩梦了。
Marie is having a nightmare.
哦。
Oh.
你喝醉了。
You’re drunk.
也许一点。我已经庆祝。
Perhaps a little. I’ve been celebrating.
我接受了威廉爵士的工作。
I accepted the job… with Sir William.
好。
Good.
现在去睡觉吧。
Now go to bed.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!