这太悬了!
Why can’t we use it to get them free telly licences?
为什么我们不能用它,为大家争取免费的电视许可证?
Blackmail the bastards.
勒索那帮混♥蛋♥。
Hold the bugger to ransom to better the lot of the common man?
以其人之道还治其人之身?
One problem.
有个问题。
What’s that?
什么问题?
Two words. Mrs Dorothy Bunton.
让你妈妈,多萝茜.伯顿看到怎么办?
We’ll have to hide it from her.
我们得瞒着她。
You can’t hide anything from a woman in her own house.
在一个女人的家里,你什么都瞒不住她。
No, if she finds it, I stole it.
不,如果她发现了,那就是我偷的。
– I’m not having you take the blame.- I stole it.
-我不想让你背黑锅。-我偷的。
On the telly, it was in a frame.
在电视上,它是有画框的。
Shit. I took it off.
那个累赘。我把它摘下来了。
I must have left it under the bed in me digs. Sorry.
我肯定是把它忘在我寓所的床底下了。对不起。
You’d lose your balls if they weren’t in a bag.
如果不是装在袋子里,你连蛋蛋都会丢失的。
It’s not very good, is it?
不太好,是吗?
“I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm
“我郑重、真诚、真实地声明并宣誓,
that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth…
我所提供的证据将是事实,全部事实…
and nothing but the truth.”
而且只有事实。”
Excuse me. Thank you.
劳驾。谢谢你!
How old are you, Mr Bunton?
你多大了?伯顿先生。
I don’t know. I feel about 23.
我不知道。我感觉就像是23岁。
You don’t know your date of birth?
你不知道你的出生日期吗?
I never had a birth certificate.
我从来没有出生证明。
1900, I think.
我想是在1900年。
Do you know where you were born’?
你知道你出生在哪里吗?
The back bedroom.
在后面的卧室里。
Of your mother’s house in Newcastle?
是你母亲在纽卡斯尔的房♥子吗?
Byker.
拜克街。
If Newcastle was a dog,you lifted its tail,
如果纽卡斯尔是只狗,你举起它的尾巴,
that hole there, that’s Byker.
那个洞眼儿,就是拜克街。
Your father fought in the First World War at Ypres.
你父亲参加过第一次世界大战的伊普尔战役。
Wipers. He weren’t an officer.
他驻扎在维博斯。他不是军官。
He came back in a wheelchair?
他坐着轮椅回来了
Aye. Tank ran over his legs.
是的。坦克碾过了他的双腿。
How did he feel about the Germans after that?
在那之后,他对德国人有什么感觉?
Never a bad word.The Germans didn’t have tanks.
从来没有一句不好的话。德国人没开着坦克。
You helped him to run his business.
你帮他打理生意。
Aye. He was a street bookie,and I did his running for him.
是的。他是个街头赌徒,我帮他跑腿。
It was illegal, but you could bribe the beat bobby with 12 shillings.
这是违法的,但你可以用12先令贿赂警♥察♥。
I was as guilty as anybody…
我和其他人一样有罪…
And who hasn’t been guilty of a youthful indiscretion,
陪审团的女士们先生们,
ladies and gentlemen of the jury?
谁没有犯过年少轻狂的错误呢?
The past, as they say, is another country.
俗话说,过去是另一个国家。
Your father died, and you lived with your mother who ran pubs.
你父亲去世了,你和经营酒吧的母亲住在一起。
Aye. It were a rough game,
是的。这是一场不舒服的比赛,
but she had a left hook like Henry Cooper’s.
但她的左勾拳像亨利·库珀的一样有劲儿。
Luckily she didn’t cut quite as easy.
幸运的是,她切得不那么容易。
In the Second World War,
在第二次世界大战,
you were refused service on medical grounds.
你因为健康原因被拒绝服役。
I done me bit. I drove lorries.
我做了点贡献。我开卡车。
You married young?
你结婚时很年轻吧?
– I had to marry.- “Had to marry”?
-我当时不得不结婚。-“不得不结婚”?
It was love. The decision was made for me.
这是爱情。这个决定是为我做的。
Did you intend to steal this painting
你偷这幅画的企图,
in the sense of permanently depriving the gallery of it?
是想让国家美术馆永远失去它吗?
Never.
从来不是。
Did you ever demand money with menaces at any time from anyone?
你曾在任何时候威胁过别人要钱吗?
No, sir.
没有,大人。
In 1960, did you communicate with the Post Office
1960年,你和邮局沟通过
about your television licence?
你的电视牌照吗?
Aye, I told them I had no intention of paying it
是的,我告诉他们我不打算付钱,
because I couldn’t receive BBC.
因为我收不到BBC。
You went to prison for not paying it.
你因为没交费进了监狱。
I did.
我是的。
On your release, you continued a campaign for free television
释放后,你继续为退休人员和退伍军人
for pensioners and war veterans,is that correct?
争取免费电视,对吗?
I could afford a licence myself.
It was about the principle of the thing.
我自己也买♥♥得起驾照。但这是关于原则的。
All me life I’ve looked out for other people
and got into trouble for it.
我一生都在为别人着想,也因此惹上了麻烦。
When did that begin,looking out for others?
你什么时候开始替别人着想的?
I were about 14,
在我14岁时,
summer holidays.
放暑假的时候。
I’d just finished reading Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness,
我刚读完约瑟夫·康拉德的《黑暗之心》,
and I felt a need to explore Sunderland.
我觉得有必要去探索桑德兰。
But I got distracted and found myself on South Shields Beach.
但我迷路了,发现自己在南希尔兹海滩。
I chucked myself in the sea to cool down.
我于是干脆跳进海里,洗了个海水澡。
A rip tide dragged me out.
一个大潮把我拽进海里。
I was on me own, exhausted,about a mile out,
我孤身一人,筋疲力尽,离海岸一英里外,
and I knew there was no way I’d get back in.
我知道我不可能再回去了。
But I had faith.
但我有信念。
Not in God, but in people.
不是相信上帝,而是相信人们。
I knew some nosy bugger would see a pile of clothes on the beach
我知道有些爱管闲事的人看到海滩上的一堆衣服
and put two and two together.
就会根据事实推断。
So I trusted in that, and waited.
所以我坚信着,等待着。
Conserved me energy by floating,not swimming.
为了节省体力,我就浮在海面上,而不是游泳
Looked at the sky…smile on me face.
看着天空…脸上露出笑容。
You could call it trust.
你们可以称之为信任。
An hour later,the lifeboat pulled up alongside
一小时后,救生艇靠边把我
and hauled me in.
拉了上了岸。
The skipper was a milkman from Blyth,
by all accounts, a bit of a bastard.
艇长是个从布莱斯来的送奶工,大家都说他是个混♥蛋♥。
Excuse my French.
原谅我说脏话。
But, you know, as a milkman,
I mean,but there’s good and bad in all of us.
但是,作为一个送奶工,我的意思是,我们每个人都有好的一面和坏的一面。
He saved my life that day.
那天他救了我的命。
Could have been anyone,but I knew someone would.
任何人都有可能,但我知道有人会的。
I’m not me without you. Do you get me?
没有你就没有我。你们明白我的意思吗?
– We all need each other?- No, you are me.
-我们都需要彼此? -不,你就是我。
It’s you that makes me me,and it’s me that makes you you.
是你让我成为我,是我让你成为你。
Humanity is a collective project.
人类是一个集体项目。
Look, on me own, I’m a single brick.
听着,我一个人,就是一块砖。
A bit useless.
或许会有点用处。
What good’s a brick on its tod?
一块砖能有什么用处?
But you put a load of bricks together,you get a building.
但你把一堆砖头拼在一起,你就得到了一座建筑。
You build a building, you create a shadow.
你建造了一座建筑,你创造了一个影子。
Already you’ve changed the world.
你已经改变了世界。
Your philosophy,I think it ears the appellation.
你的哲学,我想它听着是,出自你的身世。
How did you apply this thinking to your own struggle?
你是如何将这种想法,应用到你自己的斗争中的?
You can’t help the dead,but you can be inspired by them.
你无法帮助死者,但你可以从他们身上得到启发。
Some of them kids that this country sent out to France and Belgium
1914年被送往法国和比利时的
in 1914 came back.
一些小伙子回来了。
They’re over 65 now,
他们现在已经年逾65岁了
pensioners with not two pennies to rub together.
是兜里连一分钱都没有的退休老人。
And isolation,
用现代的话来说,
or not being connected,to use the modern lingo,
与世隔绝,或者没有联♥系♥,
is no kind of life.
不是一种生活。
So what you grandly call my philosophy,
所以,你庄严地称之为我的哲学,
the “I’m you and you’re me” thing,
“我就是你,你就是我”的东西告诉我,
tells me that every time someone gets cut off from the rest of us,
每当有人被切断与我们其他人的联♥系♥时,
this nation, this country,becomes a foot shorter.
这个国家,这个国家,就会变矮一英尺。
Mr Bunton, I suspect the jury are asking themselves
伯顿先生,我猜想陪审团在问自己,
how any of this applies to the theft of the Goya.
这和戈雅的失窃有什么关系。
– Well, I saw on the news…- The ITV news?
-我在新闻上看到…—独♥立♥电视台ITV新闻?
Very good.
很好。
I seen that the government was paying out £140,000 for this painting.
我看到政♥府♥为这幅画支付了14万英镑。
That, for me, became about numbers.
对我来说,这就是数字。
If you put all that money into a bank account earning 10% interest,
如果你把所有的钱存入银行账户,获得10%的利息,
you could pay for 3,500 TV licences a year
你就可以每年支付3500个电视牌照,
and reconnect with all them people.
并与所有人重新联♥系♥。
No further questions, my lord.
没有其他问题了,法官大人。
You saw the painting on the ITV news,