Bess Foster.
失陪
Excuse me.
我想我们还不认识
I don’t believe we’ve been introduced.
是的 不认识 我是伊丽莎白·福斯特
No, we haven’t. Lady Elizabeth Foster
我看到你和我丈夫说话 – 是 他请我跳舞
i saw you talking with my husband. – yes. He wanted to dance.
他通常不擅长这个 你拒绝他了?
That’s not usually considered his forte. And you declined?
男性的陪伴使我感到局促
I’m ill at ease with male company for the moment.
谢谢
Thank you.
你为什么到巴斯来?
So what brings you to bath?
我丈夫福斯特先生 正和他情妇在伯恩茅斯逍遥
My husband, mr. Foster, is enjoying his mistress in bournemouth
我想给自己也找点娱乐活动 你呢
And I wanted some diversion. And you?
公爵认为是伦敦的雨水导致他痛风
The duke is taking the waters for his gout.
我也是为了自己的健康 – 真的?
and I for my health. – really?
我听说你来这是因为怀不上男孩
I heard you were here because you could not conceive a son.
请原谅 我不应该说那样的话
I beg your pardon, that was an awful thing to say.
至少那是事实
It was the truth, at least.
我总是会说些傻话
Trust me to say something silly. I always do, you know.
那么也许你应该接受公爵的邀请
Then perhaps you should have accepted the duke’s offer.
你们俩挺像的
You have much in common.
我想该回家了 乔治安娜
Home, I think, Georgiana.
你住在哪儿 – 我在城里租了房♥子
where are you staying? – i’ve rented some rooms in town.
我们改日再见 – 一定
we must meet again. – we must.
哈莉欧 过来 过来 痛不痛啊
Harryo. Come here. Come here. Did that hurt?
妈妈 – 我的天使
mama. – my angel.
痛不痛啊 痛吗 我看看 是这只膝盖吗
Are you sore? Was that sore? Let me have a look. Was it this knee?
我想你没事
I think you shall live.
好的 我数三下看看谁最先到桥 1 2 3 走
Right. First to the bridge on my count. One, two, three. Go.
加油 哈莉欧
Come on, Harryo.
不 我要抓住她 – 我要抓住你
no, I’m gonna catch her! – i’m gonna catch you!
跌倒爬起 我们怎么就不能像这样复原呢
Up and down. Up and down. Why can’t we recover like that?
现在跌倒还太早了
It’s too far to fall now.
你好 – 你好 你的女儿很可爱
hello again. – hello. Your girls are lovely.
谢谢 你有孩子吗 – 有 三个男孩
thank you. Do you have any children? – i do. Three boys.
三个男孩
Three boys.
公爵一个也给不了我
What the duke wouldn’t give for one of them.
最大的那个孩子最不像你 – 是的 我想你有听说
she is least like you, your eldest. – yes. I’m sure you know the story.
在我们结婚之前我丈夫就有这个女儿了
My husband’s daughter was born before we married.
她母亲是个女仆 女仆死了就由我们照顾孩子
Her mother was a maid. The maid died, and we took the child.
很抱歉 我是否说了不该说的? – 不
i’m sorry. Have I spoken out of turn? – no.
这在伦敦是人尽皆知的秘密 她现在九岁了
It’s the worst- kept secret in london. She’s nine years old now.
你爱她吗
And you love her?
当然了 就像我亲生的一样
Of course I do. The same as all my children.
来见见她们吧
Come and meet them.
姑娘们 来见见我的新朋友 伊丽莎白夫人
Girls. Come and meet my new friend, lady Elizabeth.
夫人 – 谢谢 这是温泉水
your grace. – thank you. Thermal water.
闻起来难闻是因为硫磺的缘故
It’s the sulfur that makes it smell so bad.
你真的得喝这个? – 每天两次 连续四周
and you really have to drink it? – twice a day for four weeks.
你有什么理由认为自己无法生男孩吗
Do you have any reason to believe you cannot birth a male?
没有 除了流产之外
No. Except miscarriages.
两次死产 都是儿子
Two stillbirths, both sons.
但我有两个健康的女儿
But two healthy girls.
大家都在看你
Everybody is staring at you.
你脖子上的是什么 贝丝?
What’s that on your neck? Bess?
丈夫用”棍子”征服妻子不算违法
It’s not illegal for a man to beat his wife with a stick
但他打我的棍子比他拇指还粗
Unless the stick is thicker than his thumb.
福斯特先生吗 他怎么能这么做啊!
Mr. Foster? But he can’t have done that!
想想他对我做的其它事 这也就不算什么了
Well, considering what else he’s done to me, that’s not the worst.
还有什么更糟的事吗
What could possibly be worse?
他带走了我的孩子 他不让我见他们
He’s taken my children. He won’t let me see them.
那你打算怎么办? – 我真的想不出办法了
and what do you propose to do? – really, I’m at my wits’ end.
法律对福斯特先生有利
The law supports mr. Foster.
这期间你要住在哪儿
In the meantime, where shall you stay?
继续在外投宿 直到钱用完为止
Continue lodging, till the money runs out.
至少 我想我可以帮忙
Well, there, at least, I think I can help.
威廉 我们明天就离开了
William? We leave tomorrow.
伊丽莎白夫人不用马上去欧洲大♥陆♥
And lady Elizabeth doesn’t have to meet her parents on the continent
见她父母
For some time.
她都还没去过伦敦 – 是很可惜
she hardly ever visits london at all. – it’s a pity, that.
她也没其它地方可待
You see, she doesn’t have anywhere to stay.
是个问题
Problem there.
那她可以和我们待一起 至少住一段时间
Well, why doesn’t she stay with us? For a while, at least.
谢谢
Thank you.
这里太棒了 – 我们在爱尔兰
this is incredible. – there’s the castle in ireland.
波尔顿修道院 切克维斯 伯灵顿和切兹渥斯都有城♥堡♥
Bolton abbey, chiswick, Burlington and, why, in Chatsworth, of course.
当然 – 切兹渥斯的更大
of course. – which is much bigger.
但这里更像家
But this is more like home.
我真高兴你能来
I’m so glad you’re here.
我已经为这季安排了一个精彩的开始
I’ve arranged a wonderful start to the season.
如果我再尝试和你做朋友的话
May all the plagues of marriage be doubled on me
就让比婚姻还多双倍的麻烦都落在我身上吧
If ever I try to be friends with you anymore!
越多越好
So much the better.
不 不 女士 这证明了你一点都不在乎我
No, no, madam. ’tis evident you care not a pin for me!
而我 和你结婚真是疯了
And i, I was a madman to marry you.
我也很确定 和你结婚的我是个傻瓜
And I’m sure I was a fool to marry you,
你这个老单身汉
An old dangling bachelor
50岁了都还单身
Who was single at 50
就因为他还没遇见能够拥有他的人
Only because he never could meet with anyone who could have him!
贝丝 这是福克斯先生 在野党领袖
Bess, may I introduce mr. Fox, leader of the opposition?
福克斯先生 这是伊丽莎白·福斯特夫人 – 福克斯先生
mr. Fox, lady Elizabeth Foster. – mr. Fox.
我的门生 查理斯·格雷 – 格雷先生
my protege? Charles Grey. – mr. Grey.
格雷先生 – 夫人
mr. Grey. – your grace.
他是我们最有前途的年轻人
He’s our newest bright young man.
刚从剑桥毕业就已经是议会成员了
Scarcely out of cambridge and already a member of parliament.
我一直觉得你会做得很好 – 谢谢
i always felt you’d do well. – thank you.
福克斯先生 – 是的 伊丽莎白夫人
mr. Fox. – yes, lady Elizabeth.
你喜欢这个剧吗 – 我必须承认 我不完全喜欢
did you enjoy the play? – i must confess, I did not entirely.
我希望你进入政界之后没有丢掉
I hope that you’ve not lost your sense of humor
身上的幽默细胞 – 我没有
since entering politics. – not that I’m aware.
那我很确定你是知道”造谣学堂”
Then I’m sure you realize that school for scandal
是一部喜剧 – 是的
was written as a comedy. – yes.
但是从我的位置来看 就是一部悲剧
Although, from where I sat, it read as a tragedy.
夫人 我们真想你
Your grace! How we have missed you.
你不在的时候
In your absence,
伦敦已经变成最沉闷的地方了
London has been reduced to the dreariest province.
这位就是剧作家谢里登先生
And this, of course, is the playwright mr. Sheridan.
这位是伊丽莎白·福斯特夫人
May I present the lady Elizabeth Foster?
我不想表现得无礼
I do not mean to be rude,
但是整个剧组都渴望见见公爵夫人
But I’ve an entire cast dying to meet the duchess.
我一会就把你交还回来 我保证
I shall return you in a moment. Promise.
福克斯先生 – 是的
mr. Fox? – yes.
借一步说话
A word.
我是从哪儿得到这么多内部消息啊
Well, wherever do I glean such domestic gossip?
我们让公爵看明白了吗 – 情况本来可能更坏
were we fair on the duke? – it could have been worse.
我最初起的名字是”糟糕的婚姻”
My original title was the bad marriage.
情况一直都是这样的吗
Is it always like this?
人们都说
Well, as they say,
德文郡公爵是全英格兰唯一一个
The duke of Devonshire must be the only man in england
不爱他妻子的男人
Not in love with his wife.
夫人 这是德文郡公爵夫人 – 非常高兴见到你
her grace, the duchess of Devonshire. – very pleased to meet you.
你刚才有没有忘掉烦恼玩得尽兴?
Were you at all able to forget things and enjoy yourself?
那确实让我忘记了些烦心事 谢谢
It was a wonderful distraction, thank you.
很好
Good.
我和格雷先生谈了整个晚上 – 是吗
i talked to mr. Grey all evening. – yes?
他爱上你了
He’s in love with you.
亲爱的贝丝 他没有 恐怕情况正相反吧
My dear Bess, no, he is not. Quite the reverse, I fear.
从他看你的神情中难道你看不出吗
Well, can’t you tell by the way he looks at you?
老实说 你真看不出? – 别说了
honestly, can’t you tell? – stop it.
乔治安娜 男女之事并非只为了传宗接代
Georgiana, intercourse is not just about offspring.
事实上 它可以令人非常愉悦 – 是 我知道
in fact, it can be rather pleasurable. – yes, I know.
闭上眼睛 尝试在脑海里想着格雷
Close your eyes and try to envisage Grey
解开你的衣服 亲吻你的后背

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!