是否真正理解了自♥由♥这个概念
Are fully committed to the concept of freedom.
我们试图扩大选票 – 对所有人?
we intend to extend the vote. – to all men?
不 但当然是更多的人 自♥由♥是相对的
Heavens, no. But certainly to more men. Freedom in moderation.
“自♥由♥是相对的”? – 正是
“freedom in moderation”? – precisely.
我相信您有着宏图大志 福克斯先生
I’m sure you are full of the best intentions, mr. Fox,
但我要说 如果我有投票权的话
But I dare say I would not spend my vote,
是不会将票投给一个政♥治♥主张如此模糊的政党的
If I had it, of course, on so vague a statement.
要么自♥由♥ 要么不自♥由♥ 自♥由♥的概念是绝对的
One is either free or one is not. The concept of freedom is an absolute.
总之 一个人不可能”相对”死了
After all, one cannot be moderately dead
或者”相对”被爱 或者”相对”自♥由♥
Or moderately loved or moderately free.
二者只能选其一
It must always remain a matter of either or.
请允许我说几句
I think it appropriate to say a few words.
当…
When…
请检查一下卧室
Could you check the chamber
看能不能找到… – 大人
and see if you can find… – your grace.
不同样式的法国蕾丝?
…Different kinds of french lace?
发生什么事了吗 – 没有
is anything the matter? – no.
您刚刚离席了 – 是的 因为我用餐完毕了
you just left. – yes. Well, I had done eating,
那些该死的演讲让我无聊透顶
And those damn speeches bore me to distraction.
我想我们以后应该禁止这些活动了
I think we have to ban them in the future.
但你是辉格党的主要资助人
But you are the whigs’ main supporter.
是啊 我对政♥治♥没有异议
Yes. Well, I’ve no problem with the politics.
只是无法忍♥受那些花言巧语罢了
It’s just the rhetoric I can’t stand.
我该跟您回来吗 – 不 我是说 没这个必要
shall I come with you? – no. I mean, why ever should you?
公爵很好 他只是想稍作休息
The duke is perfectly well. He simply wanted to rest a while.
入座吧 先生们
Do sit down, gentlemen.
是不是演讲过长打扰到公爵了?
Was it the length of the speech that got the better of the duke?
当然不是
Certainly not.
他完全沉浸其中
He enjoyed it immensely
并且希望下次时间能够更长一些
And expressed a hope that next time it would be even longer.
敬夫人 – 福克斯先生
your grace. – mr. Fox.
发生什么事了? – 无需担心
what’s going on? – nothing to concern you.
我不明白 – 过来
i don’t understand. – come here.
你今晚很美 这条裙子是你自己设计的吗
You look very beautiful tonight. Is this dress your design?
是的 谢谢夸奖
Yes, it is. Thank you.
我想你该让你的丈夫多多欣赏一下
Then I think you should allow your husband to appreciate it
它的每一个细节
In a little more detail.
过来
Come here.
让他们进来 – 我们有客人吗
yes, send them in. – are we having company?
你不觉得这羊肉味道很怪吗
Don’t you think this mutton has a funny taste?
不觉得 一点也不 – 我觉得很怪
no. Not really, no. – i think it does.
G 这是夏洛特 她要和我们住在一起
G, this is Charlotte, and she will be staying with us.
为什么
Why?
因为她母亲去世了 她无处可去
Because her mother is dead, and she has no other place to go.
你是孩子的父亲吗
Have you fathered that child?
只是个小女孩 G 又不是什么世界末日
It’s… It’s only a Little Girl, g. It’s hardly the end of the world.
你指望我会照顾她吗
Are you expecting me to look after her?
我们有的是空房♥间
We have a house full of vacant rooms
她不会打扰到你的 事实上 她对你用处可大了
She needn’t bother you. In fact, she may even be of use to you.
你可以提前练习怎样做母亲
You can practice your mothering skills,
为我们儿子的出生做准备
Until our son arrives.
这完全不是羊肉的味道
No, this doesn’t taste like normal mutton.
我确定有问题 把它们撤下
I’m sure there is something the matter with it. Could you take it away?
这是羊肉的味道吗
Does it taste like normal mutton?
这是羊肉的味道吗 过来
Does it taste like normal mutton? Come here.
你们觉得是吗 捣蛋鬼们…
Think it tastes like normal mutton, fussy dog?
谁是捣蛋鬼羊肉狗狗?
Who’s a fussy mutton dog?
你的洋娃娃有名字吗
Does your doll have a name?
我打赌她会喜欢她的新房♥间
I bet you she loves being in her new bedroom.
你要给她想一个名字 然后明天告诉我
You’ll have to think of a name and let me know tomorrow.
你能做到吗 夏洛特?
Do you think you’ll be able to do that, Charlotte?
能让我们单独呆一会儿吗 – 夫人
would you leave us, please? – your grace.
你好 夏洛特
Hello, Charlotte.
我叫乔治安娜
My name is Georgiana.
晚上好 – 谢谢
good evening. – thank you.
晚上好 女士们
Good evening, ladies.
再大一英寸我想夫人您就要爆♥炸♥了
An inch more and I do believe your grace will explode.
谢里登最会赞美人了
Sheridan always knows how to pay a compliment.
还有几个星期呢
Still a few more weeks to wait.
还没人有过这么大的肚皮呢
A huge belly has never been more becoming on anyone.
我们的福克斯对肚皮提供了
Well, Fox, here, offers an expert
专业的意见 毕竟他自己也有个大肚皮
Opinion seeing, as he does, a giant bell
每次从镜子前经过都能看见
Every time he passes a mirror.
如果你的肚子长在女人身上 我们都知道是怎么回事
If your belly were on a woman, well, we’d all know what to think.
亲爱的谢里登 一小时前我的肚子就在一个女人身上
My dear Sheridan, an hour ago my belly was on a woman.
你有什么意见吗
Now what do you think?
记得下次要在”好戏”开始前挤兑福克斯先生
That will teach you to insult mr. Fox before the gaming has begun.
画得很好
It’s very good.
别再加码了
No more bets, please.
Seven.
夫人又赢了
Her grace wins again.
继续下注?
Another wager?
您还好吗 夫人? – 夫人
are you all right, your grace? – your grace!
是阵痛吗 我妻子要分娩了
Are those labor pains? My wife is in labor.
过来
Come along.
这真是值得庆祝
I think this calls for a toast.
明日之前我就可能有一位继承人了
I may have an heir before the night is out.
女士们 先生们 敬第六位德文郡公爵
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the sixth duke of Devonshire.
第六位德文郡公爵
The sixth duke of Devonshire!
大人
Your grace.
我现在没心情谈话
I am in no mood for a conversation.
但普雷告诉我 我女儿是不是…
But, Pray tell me, is my daughter…
你女儿到底是否有能力给我生个儿子?
Is your daughter at all able to give me a son?
别灰心 大人
Take heart, your grace.
只要母亲有健康的身体
As long as the mother is in good health,
就把这次的坏运气当成是
Consider this mishap a draft,
对即将到来的喜事的一种预演
A promise of what is soon to come.
在我们家族里 我们… – 是 我知道 在你家族里
in our family, we… – yes, I know, in your family,
在你的家族里
In your family.
大人
Your grace.
你能看到亮光吗 你看到了吗
Can you see the light? Can you see it?
亲爱的 你怎么样 – 很好
darling, how are you? – quite well.
她健康吗 – 她太完美了
is she strong and healthy? – she’s perfect.
威廉接见你了吗 – 是的
did William receive you? – yes.
他是不是很不满没能生个儿子?
Is he upset that she’s not a son?
他看了她一眼就走了 之后我就没再见过他
He just glanced at her and then left. I’ve hardly seen him since.
对于公爵来说这段时间不容易 亲爱的
It’s been a difficult time for his grace, my dear.
很多人都关注着他 其中也有不怀好意者
Many eyes are upon him and not all of them kind.
她是最可爱的
She is the loveliest.
奶妈 – 不 我自己喂她
nurse? – no, I will feed her.
你确定 亲爱的? – 是的
are you sure, darling? – yes.
我毕竟是她母亲 即使她只是个女儿
I am her mother, after all, even if she is only a girl.
来
There.
该死的
Hell and damnation!
在度假之时能够听到
It is always a pleasure
几句智慧之言总是再愉快不过的事情了
When one is on holiday to request a few words of wisdom.
所以我不再多说废话
And so without further ado,
很荣幸的将舞台交给我们最尊贵的来宾
It is a great honor to hand over to our most distinguished guest.
当她到来 所有的视线都会聚焦在她身上
When she arrives, all eyes are upon her.
当她离开 她也是全世界讨论的话题
When absent, she is the subject of universal conversation.
我们今晚见到她所穿的衣着
And what we see her wearing tonight,
明天就会成为你们身上所穿的服饰
I look forward to seeing the rest of you wearing tomorrow!
有请时尚女皇 德文郡公爵夫人
The empress of fashion herself, the duchess of Devonshire.
我们前来巴斯以远离伦敦
We come away to bath to get away from london,
而全伦敦的人却又都来到了巴斯
And all of london has come away to bath.
确实有人问过我
Somebody did indeed ask me
我戴的这个羽毛是哪种羽毛
What kind of feather it is that I’m wearing.
据说这种稀有的鸟只有两只
Well, there are only two specimens of this rare bird known to man.
一只很明显被我戴到了头上
One of them has clearly ended up on top of my head.
另一只嘛 传闻正在托利党参加竞选呢
And the other, rumor has it, is running for office in the tory party.
贝丝·福斯特