1774年4月 英格兰 艾尔索普庄园
公爵夫人
哈莉欧 小G 夏洛特
巴斯城(以温泉闻名)
乔治安娜重返社交界并继续成为
当时最著名最有影响力的女性之一
查理斯·格雷最终当选为首相
乔治安娜 贝丝和公爵三人住在一起 直到乔治安娜去世
在乔治安娜的祝福下
贝丝和公爵喜结连理
并成为下一任德文郡公爵夫人
乔治安娜经常秘密探望伊莱莎
伊莱莎后来给她的女儿取名乔治安娜
托马斯阁下
Lord Thomas.
亨利阁下
Lord Henry.
安布鲁斯阁下
Lord Ambrose.
罗伯特阁下
Lord Robert.
沃尔特阁下
Lord Walter.
最好别让我失望 查理斯·格雷
You’d better not let me down, Charles Grey.
我赌了20基尼(旧英国金币)你赢
I’ve got 20 guineas riding on you.
才20? 如果我是你会把赌注加倍
Only 20? I’d double that if I were you
过来 姑娘们
Come on, ladies.
绅士们 绕场两圈 听我发令
Gentlemen, twice around the course, on my count.
3…2…
Three, two,
One!
加油 格雷先生 – 加油 托马斯
come on, mr. Grey! – come on, Thomas!
加油 格雷先生 – 快跑啊 沃尔特阁下
come on, mr. Grey! – run, lord Walter!
加油 格雷先生
Come on, mr. Grey!
加油 格雷先生 你已经跑不动了吗
Come on, mr. Grey. You’re tired already.
加油 格雷先生 – 快点
come on, mr. Grey! – faster!
相信大人您依然认为乔治安娜很迷人吧?
I trust your grace still finds Georgiana an attractive girl?
当然了 斯宾塞夫人
Of course, lady Spencer.
她气质高雅 深谙己任
She’s an accomplished lady of quality and devoted to her duties.
能说流利的法语 意大利语和拉丁语
She’s fluent in french, italian, latin
熟习马术 擅长舞蹈 还…
And fully versed in horsemanship and dancing and…
是的 我早已注意到了 她是您的掌上明珠
Yes, I’m aware of all that. She’s a credit to you.
我想不出还有什么能阻止这一段
I can’t think of anything that would stand in the way
无与伦比的完美婚姻
Of a singularly happy marriage.
那些都不是公爵所担心的问题 斯宾塞夫人
These are not the issues that burden the duke, lady Spencer.
公爵大人肩负传宗接代的义务
It is his grace’s duty to produce an heir.
当然 到时候您的女儿也一定
On the other hand, your daughter may expect
会得到丰厚的回报
A handsome reward when that occurs.
谢谢你 希顿 – 不用客气 大人
thank you, Heaton. – your grace.
公爵大人请放心
Your grace may rest assured.
我们家族的女人从未在这一点上失败过
The women in our family have never forfeited on that account.
既然有了您的保证…
Well, with that assurance…
那么婚约成立
So be it, then.
加油啊 格雷先生
Come on, mr. Grey!
抱歉了 姑娘们 似乎我的那匹马赢了
I do apologize, ladies, but it appears that my horse has won.
你又赢了 查理斯
Beat me again, Charles.
干得好 格雷先生 – 干的漂亮
well done, mr. Grey. – well done.
我欠你多少? – 你欠我40
so how much do we owe you? – you owe me 40.
20 40 – 我的奖赏呢
twenty, forty. – my reward?
你想要什么呢
And what do you suggest?
您母亲想见您 乔治安娜小姐
Your mother wishes to see you, lady Georgiana.
谢谢
Thank you.
十分抱歉 妈妈 我们是不是太吵了?
I must apologize, mama. Were we making too much noise?
没关系 亲爱的
Not at all, my darling.
我们有更重要的事情要谈 过来
We have more important things to talk of. Come here.
我听见一些传闻 – 什么
i have heard a rumor. – yes?
我很快就要称呼我女儿为
That I will soon be addressing my daughter
德文郡公爵夫人了
As her grace, the duchess of Devonshire.
是真的吗 妈妈? – 是的
is it true, mama? – it is.
德文郡公爵?
The duke of Devonshire?
在你18岁之前我本不愿与你分开
I had hoped not to part with you until 18 at the soonest,
但这桩婚事门当户对 如此完美
But, with such a fine match,
不让你出嫁就显得我太自私了
It would be selfish of me not to let you go.
他爱我吗 – 当然
he loves me? – yes, of course.
我只见过他两次
I have only met him twice.
当一个人真心爱着另一个人
When one truly loves someone,
被爱的人是不需要知道得那么清楚的 乔治安娜
One doesn’t have to know them well to be sure, Georgiana.
只需要去感受
One feels it right away.
我相信你和他一定会幸福的 – 我会的 妈妈 我会的
i do believe you will be happy with him. – i shall, mama. I know I shall.
过来 – 她来了
come on! – she’s here!
大人 大人
Your grace! Your grace!
她在那儿 – 公爵夫人
there she is! – duchess!
他们要干嘛?
What do they want?
当然是为了看我 和我的新婚妻子
To see me and my new wife, of course.
有点夸张 但你会习惯的
It can be a nuisance, but you’ll get used to it.
伦敦 德文郡别♥墅♥
Devonshire House, London
欢迎您 夫人
Welcome, your grace.
过来 孩子们 雨果 快过来
Come, boys. Come on. Hugo, Hugo. Come.
好 好 好
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
没事的 请往这边走
It’s all right. Yes, yes. This way.
雨果 过来 孩子
Hugo. Come, boy. Come.
剪刀给我
Scissors.
你们可以退下了
You may go.
我永远都弄不明白
For the life of me, I could never understand
为什么女人的衣着非得如此精细复杂
Why women’s clothes must be so damn complicated.
我想这只是我们自我表达的一种方式
It’s just our way of expressing ourselves, I suppose.
你的意思是?
Whatever do you mean?
你们男人有很多方式表达自己
Well, you have so many ways of expressing yourselves,
而我们则必须通过礼帽和衣着来表达
Whereas we must make do with our hats and our dresses.
请就寝吧
Would you go to the bed?
一个人必须接受他被赋予的责任
One has to accept one’s responsibility.
婚姻必然包含了某些义务
Certain obligations come with marriage,
不论它们看起来有多么沉重
No matter how burdensome they may seem.
是的 但当我们在一起的时候…
Yes, but when we are together…
但当我们很亲密地在一起的时候 我是说…
But when we are together, intimately, I mean…
我懂 这有时候是有些麻烦
I know. It can be a bother.
无论怎样 只要你给他生个儿子
However, it is only until you have given him a son.
那些事就会少一些 随性一些了
Then the occasions will become fewer and less determined.
如果他偶尔跟我交流一下
I think it might feel different
我觉得我会感觉好一些
If he would talk to me every once in a while.
我的意思是 不是他不好 只是他从不和我交谈
I mean, it’s not that he’s unkind, but he never talks to me.
我原以为他像爸爸一样
I thought that he would be like papa,
在冷酷的外表下
That under his cool reserve
隐藏着深刻的思想和细腻的情感
There’d be a wealth of depth and sentiment,
但是除了他的狗 他什么也不感兴趣
But he isn’t interested in anything, apart from his dogs.
别对他太苛刻了 G
Try not to be too hard on his grace, g.
他只不过是履行他的职责
He’s merely intent on fulfilling his duty.
至于谈话 有什么可谈的呢
And as for talking to him, well, whatever is there to talk about?
您说的对
No, you’re quite right.
我居然奢望能跟我丈夫悉心交谈
How foolish of me to think that I should be able to converse
真是愚蠢透顶
With my husband.
乔治安娜 多一些耐心 忍♥耐 和顺从
Georgiana, equip yourself with patience, fortitude and resignation.
很快就会有儿子诞生 到时候你就知道了
A boy will come soon enough, and then you’ll see.
但我们辉格党认为这是完全公正 合理且明智的
But we, the whig party, simply see this as just, right and sensible.
公正地给予美国独♥立♥ 合理地彻底废除奴隶交易
Just to bring independence to america. Right to abolish the slave trade.
明智地为普通人带去自♥由♥
And sensible to bring freedom to the common man,
这样大英帝国的所有臣民们才能
So the blessings of this blessed plot, this england,
更平等 更好地享受来自天佑之国的祝福
May be more equally enjoyed by all of its inhabitants.
我要向我们的宴席主人及资助人公爵大人
I would like to propose a toast to our host and benefactor
和他美丽的新公爵夫人祝酒一杯
His grace the duke and his beautiful new duchess.
各位请起立
Please be upstanding.
敬公爵和公爵夫人 – 敬公爵和公爵夫人
the duke and duchess! – the duke and duchess!
精辟的演讲 福克斯先生
Excellent speech, mr. Fox.
谢谢你 给朋友们做演讲总是容易些
I thank you. It is always easier to address a congregation of friends,
尤其是当他们都喝醉了的时候
Particularly when those friends are drunk.
公爵夫人对福克斯先生的演讲有何评价呢
And how did the duchess find mr. Fox’s speech?
我必须承认 对于政♥治♥演讲我还不能完全领会
I must confess, I am not yet at ease with political speeches.
它们花哨的形式总是阻碍了我去理解其真实意义
Their very form tends to obstruct my view of their actual meaning,
如果真有什么意义的话
If such there be.
到底是演讲中的哪一部分信息
In which particular section of the speech
使公爵夫人您困惑不解了呢
Did the message elude your grace?
大体上我非常赞同您的思想
Well, I have great sympathy with your sentiments in general,
但是我不知道我们辉格党
But I fail to fully comprehend how far we, the whig party, that is,