Stand right there, the cameraman, and you sit in the chair.
他对所有事都有很独到的想法
JAD: He had very specific ideas for everything.
他会反复推敲镜头,会调整拍摄角度
FAIR: You know, he would figure out shots, he’d change angles.
我记得在刚开始的时候我脑袋里已经有成片的想法了
I mean, at the beginning of the evening it was a film I had in mind.
不久之后,就变成,那种,完全不属于我的影片了
Very soon it became, you know, somebody else’s film.
请拍这个椅子
Film the chair, okay?
整部电影的高♥潮♥应该是Daniel开始演他的歌♥
FAIR: The highlight probably, though, was when Daniel started playing the songs.
因为,那时他都忍♥不住开始哭了,你懂的,这太…
I mean, at one point when he started weeping, you know, this is…
难得一见的演出啊
You know, where are you gonna see a performance like that?
Don’t Play Cards with Satan-Daniel Johnston
(SINGING) I saw my own heart laying
Black With blood
Don’t play cards with Satan
He’ll deal you
An awful hand
当他在公交车站下车时
FAIR: When we dropped him off at the bus station,
看起来没什么不对劲
I don’t think anything really seemed strange.
完全没看出来和这周其他的时候有什么区别
I don’t think he seemed different from how he had been all week long.
他有张回爸妈家的车票
JAD: He had a ticket to go to his parents’ home,
在西弗尼吉亚的切斯特
in Chester, West Virginia,
回家只需要坐五小时巴士
which is only about a five-hour bus ride.
我们都以为他没问题
And we thought he’d be fine.
在这周一起做了些很棒的音乐和艺术作品
JEFF: Just some great, great music and art came out of this week.
但很不幸的是,他再次停药,精神陷入了泥沼
But unfortunately, he went off his meds again and had problems when he left.
他坐上了回西弗尼吉亚的车
He took a bus back to West Virginia,
但提早了一点点下车,又一头扎进了幻象世界
got off a little too soon and was completely delusional,
认为所有人都被撒旦附身
thought that everybody was possessed by Satan.
那时是大清早,大概早上六七点
It was very early in the morning, maybe 6:00, 7:00 in the morning.
他在街上制♥造♥噪音
He was making noise in the street.
有位老奶奶在窗边请求他小点声
An elderly woman came to her window, asked him to be quiet,
这就导致了又一场悲剧的发生
and that set off another major incident.
没过多久她就发现
DICK: And the next thing she knew,
Daniel直接跑上了这栋公♥寓♥楼
he was coming up the stairs in the apartment building
开始砸门
and pounding on the door.
Daniel嘴里嘟囔的恶魔啊什么的
And whatever he was saying and whatever his demeanor was,
足够把这位老奶奶吓得
was enough to terrify her such that
把她吓得慌不择路,直接从二楼窗户一跃而下
she felt like the only thing she could do was jump out of the second story window.
当然,把两个脚踝都摔得稀烂
And, of course, she broke both her ankles.
而她刚好是教堂里一位德高望重的女性
And she was an elderly woman, from church.
这些事够把Daniel送进监狱几次了
The law pretty well takes over when he gets into trouble.
执法人员把他从我们身边带走了
The law stepped in and took Dan away from us.
我在,额,威斯顿精神病院,在西弗尼吉亚的威斯顿
我的家乡西弗尼吉亚州
你在这待了多久了
啊我不太清楚
至少两个月了
那你是为什么进来的呢
我帮一个老奶奶驱魔
她从窗户里跳出去了
她是为了抵御驱魔才跳下去的?
我在旁边的话她是不会发作的
而且她家房♥门从里面反锁了
是你干的吗
能是我吗
是魔鬼干的,不是我
那个魔鬼穿门进去把她吓得从窗户跳出去了
你在这之前在哪呢
我当时正准备出去
没有注意到它
我正掉头回去,没有看到全过程
所以你对这件事一无所知,魔鬼应该负全责?
这就是我想说的
是魔鬼把她从窗户扔出去的
你的公职就是驱魔人不成
正是如此
他那段时间一直忙于给我传各种语♥音♥信息
JEFF: He was quite busy during this time writing me audio letters
一大堆指令
with all sorts of instructions.
地球呼叫Jeff Tartakov,收到请回复
DANIEL: Earth to Jeff Tartakov, ten four come three.
这是Daniel Dale Johnston发出的消息
This is a message from Daniel Dale Johnston.
下面是我希望的一些事
Here with a few ideas I’d like to do.
首先我希望甲壳虫重组
First of all I wish that The Beatles would reunite
以一个乐队整体回来演出
and back me up as a band.
他不停地要求我和小野洋子这些人联♥系♥
JEFF: He continued to want me to get in touch with people like Yoko Ono.
他还有一些额外要求
But he also had some additional ideas.
他想成为激浪(饮料)的发言人
He wanted to be a spokesperson for Mountain Dew.
这是Daniel Johnston从精神病院发来的快讯
DANIEL: This is Daniel Johnston speaking from a mental hospital.
这儿的人说我疯了
They tell me I’m crazy here,
因为我太爱激浪了,我真是怎么都喝不够
because I love the Mountain Dew so much. I can’t get enough of the Mountain Dew.
Mountain Dew Song-Daniel Johnston
(SINGING) I was sinking deep in sin
Far from Mountain Dew
I had problems out within Nothing that I could do
But the Mountain Dew came to me and I drank it all up
Now I’m happy as can be, oh Mountain Dew
We drink Mountain Dew We drink Mountain Dew
We have nothing better to do but drink Mountain Dew
We drink Mountain Dew We drink Mountain Dew
No thing better to do than to drink Mountain Dew
哦呼,激浪
Yahoo! Mountain Dew.
全新的感官体验
It’s the new sensation.
最棒的,最伟大的,最缤纷的
The best, the greatest, the most fantastic.
全宇宙第一大牌汽水
The most sensational soda pop in the cosmic universe.
激浪!
Mountain Dew!
魔鬼要出来了
Out come the demons.
魔鬼,魔鬼,魔鬼们也在喝激浪
Demons, demons, demons, drink the Mountain Dew.
我联♥系♥了百事方面,不幸的是没有任何回复
I sent that off to the Pepsi Corporation, but unfortunately never got a response.
到了1990,我们听说Daniel好些了
So it’s 1990, we hear Daniel’s better.
我们听说…他长胖了不少
We hear he’s gotten… Put on a lot of weight.
但我们也听说,是因为他在服药,能控制他的病情
But we hear, you know, he’s doing his meds, he’s under control.
所以我们邀请他来奥斯汀音乐颁奖典礼演出
So we invite him to play the Austin Music Awards show.
顺便来西南偏南电影节演一场
And to come and play South by Southwest.
大家都期待得不得了
And everybody’s very excited about this.
现在他真的成长了
Now his rep has really, really grown.
Jeff花了大力气把那些带子找齐,他真的费了不少劲
Tartakov has really been getting those tapes out there. Tartakov’s really working it.
Daniel给他寄了一部小漫画
Daniel sends me a comic,
关于Daniel怎么回奥斯汀音乐颁奖典礼表演的故事
about how Daniel’s coming back to Austin to play the Music Awards.
讲他怎么一夜风流,以及所有女孩多么期盼着他的到来
How he’s gonna get laid. How all the girls should be ready for him.
而最后一页却说这一切都是魔鬼的阴谋
And the last page is this whole thing about the Devil
大家都翘首以盼他的回归
being really excited that Daniel’s coming back to Austin,
期待他将制♥造♥的所有混乱
’cause of all the mayhem he can cause.
当Daniel准备开始表演,他就会立刻开始停药
Whenever Daniel was gonna perform, starting around now, he went off his meds,
在演出前停上几周
for a couple of weeks before the performance.
因为他知道如果自己越疯癫,演出效果越好
Because he knew the performance would be better the crazier he was.
他越发真实的一面,越能引起台下一阵阵的狂潮
The more real he was, the better the performance would be.
但当时没人知道这个情况
But nobody really knew this at the time.
Worried Shoes-Daniel Johnston
(SINGING SHAKILY) I took my lucky break and broke it
我再试一次
Try it again.
作为一个职业的,那种职业的歌♥手
As a professional, you know, performer,
我已经两年,两年没有表演过了,所以…
I haven’t performed, you know, for two years. So…
我都不怎么干这个了
I’m barely doing it now.
他和他爸一块来的
JEFF: He flew to town with his dad.
在唱片店做了两场店内推广
Did two in-store appearances at record stores.
数以百计的人们都跑过来看
Hundreds and hundreds of people turned out.
人们为了签名而来
People were coming up for autographs
而Daniel给他们的远远多于签名
and he would give them so much more than just an autograph.
他会拿出一整张纸,画他的青蛙和一个完整场景
He would take a full sheet of paper and draw a frog, an entire scene.
那一刻是我事业的高光
This was really the highlight of my career, up until that point.
因为我终于能见到观众,大量的观众,积极地回应Daniel
Because I was able to see an audience, a large audience, respond to Daniel.
帕莫礼堂那晚有三千多观众
Palmer Auditorium had 3,000 people there that night.
Running Water-Daniel Johnston
(SINGING) Never knowing where you go
Always running
Never stopping to see where you’re at
Never looking back
Nothing seems to slow you down
(AUDIENCE CHEERING)
Running water
Running water
What are you running from?
You always seem to be on the run
You always seem to be on the run
预定的计划是他演上个十五分钟
JEFF: Daniel was scheduled to play about a 15-minute set,
但他把控时间的能力很糟糕
but he’s not a very good judge of time.
唱了三首歌♥就下台了
So he walked off the stage after three songs.
噢天哪
GIRL: Oh, my God…
是Daniel
WOMAN: Daniel.
– 爸? – 怎么了?
– Dad? – BILL: Yeah?
– Daniel,你还想演首吗 – 他们还想听我唱?
– MAN: You wanna do another, Dan? – They want me to do another song?
– 你想继续唱吗 – 好啊
– BILL: You wanna go back? – Okay.
他返场的时候,当时台下就像
JEFF: When he finally came out, it was as if
看到滚石返场一样,锣鼓喧天
The Rolling Stones had come back on stage.
谢谢大家
下面是一首情歌♥
Tell Me Now-Daniel Johnston
(SINGING) But if this really is love
then let’s get it on, on
Ooh
在唱那首歌♥词里有Do You Love Me的歌♥的时候
JEFF: During the song Do You Love Me?
伴唱的唱着:你爱我吗
the chorus goes, Do you love me now?
你可以听见观众声嘶力竭地吼:对!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!