所以我觉得人们可能永远也没法去了解他,他就只能
And I felt like people would maybe never get him and he would just be
像开在沙漠中的鲜花一样,被永远遗忘
like a flower that bloomed in the desert, you know, and was forgotten.
所以我觉得自己应该重制一些他最爱的歌♥
So I thought that I would do some of his songs, some of my favorites.
用一种老树开新花式的制♥作♥方法
And do them in such a way that they kind of bloomed
就像把圆珠笔画的草图
and became from, like, say a ballpoint and notepaper sketch,
填补成全彩的大幅画作
they kind of came into more of a full color painting.
所以呢,我打算做这样一张专辑
So, I decided to make the record.
重制这些天才的录音也是一件很好玩的事
And it was so fun working with material that was so good.
可能也是我做过最棒的一件事了吧
And it’s probably the best thing I’ve ever done.
当然,如果有人会记住我的名字什么的,只能因为这张专辑
And, if I’m remembered for anything ever, it will be for that record.
在FUN和Kathy McCarty那张专辑之后
JEFF: After the FUN and Kathy McCarty release,
Daniel和我四年没有任何联♥系♥
Daniel and I did not talk for four years.
我陷入了深深的沮丧
I went into such a deep depression
我是一点都不想和这家伙再有任何关系
that I just wanted to have nothing to do with the guy.
他的歌♥我都听不下去
I really could not even listen to his music.
但我依然为他的艺术作品着迷
But I still had this fascination with his artwork.
我一直持续在四处搜刮他的画作来填充我的收藏
I continued to compile my collection purchasing drawings from other sources.
– 怎么样啊最近 – 你嘞
– How’s it going? – MAN: How you doing today?
很好啊,最近有见到Daniel嘛
Pretty good. Seen Daniel lately?
其实吧,他几个月前来过一趟
Actually, he came by a few months ago.
他带过来的东西我们都快卖♥♥完了
We’re almost out of what he brought us.
– 能拿的我都要了 -这个黑白的
– I’ll take what I can get. – The black and white ones.
哇哦,真不错
JEFF: Oh, yeah, not bad at all.
我时不时会和全世界的画廊联♥系♥
I was occasionally contacted by galleries around the world,
希望他们可以展出Daniel的作品,如果看起来操办的不错,我还会捐些收藏过去
wanting to show his art, and if it sounded like a good thing, I would help them out.
我们在柏林,埃因霍温、巴黎、巴塞罗那
We had shows in Berlin, Eindhoven, Paris, Barcelona,
伦敦,曼彻斯特,纽约
London, Manchester, New York City,
华盛顿,洛杉矶,都办过展
Washington D.C., Los Angeles.
这四年办过的展我都数不清
There were really more than I could count, during these four years
就是我和他都不说话的四年
that Daniel and I were not even talking.
艺术杂♥志♥开始给他写评论
He was beginning to get reviewed in art magazines
他的艺术作品知名度逐渐和音乐比肩
and his art was becoming as well-known as his music.
这里是Zero One
JOHN POCHNA: Zero One.
我们能知道Daniel表演的确切时间吗
Uh, do we know for sure what time Daniel’s actually gonna play?
九点左右可以,那好就九点
I sort of said around 9:00. Yeah, okay. Yeah, 9:00.
我们在Melrose和La Brea街的交汇处,他已经到了
We’re at the corner of Melrose and La Brea. He’s here right now.
你想先拿点胶带然后开始贴?
You want to get some tape, Don, and we can get started?
探寻艺术作品最难的一点
JOHN: The hardest thing to find in art
就是去找到那些有全新想法的人
is somebody that comes up with something new,
那些百分百原创的家伙
somebody completely original.
这是用双面胶粘的,你得贴在画后面
DON GOEDE: No, it’s double stick, so you can put it on the back.
这样啊
DANIEL; Oh.
我不是想找某某著名艺术运动的什么参与者
I’m not looking for people that are part of movements that much.
我只对那些引领属于自己潮流的人感兴趣
I’m more interested in people who are their own movement
或者那些过于超前的人
or they’re moving beyond any movement.
还有那些涉足未知领域的人
Or, you know, are doing things that no movement has thought of.
Daniel Johnston就发展起了自己的运动
I think Daniel Johnston is his own movement.
他在做和约瑟夫康奈尔(雕塑家)或韦斯特曼(音乐家)一样原创的东西
He’s doing things as original in his way as Joseph Cornell did or Westerman
甚至有和杜尚与曼·雷比肩的潜质
or even going back to Marcel Duchamp or Man Ray
做的就是那些人们完全没法想象的东西
or somebody that just comes up with stuff that, you know, who would’ve thought it?
还有,根本不应该把他的东西归为外行艺术作品
Well, I think it’s wrong to put him in that outsider art thing.
他和任何主流艺术家一样内行
He’s as much as an inside as any major artist.
他只是朝着自己决定的方向,做着自己的事
He’s just going in his own direction, doing his own thing,
其实很多艺术家都该这么干
which more artists should do.
有个未知身份的收藏家刚刚拍下了
An unidentified collector has just bought
这次展览内容的98%
98% of the show.
然而这次展览甚至没有开始
And the show has not even started yet.
他带过来的所有画只有四幅没卖♥♥出去
We’ve sold practically every drawing that he brought, except for four.
就是这么抢手
That’s what happened so far.
然后这个展览,你看到了…我们都没有
(STAMMERING) And the show has just, uh… You know, we haven’t…
你看还没有人来呢
Nobody’s showed up yet.
在这样下去,我们得开始接单了
(CHUCKLING) You know, we’re gonna have to start taking orders, I guess.
去年他的作品卖♥♥的也挺快,但没有这么快
I mean, last year his stuff sold pretty fast but not this fast.
当然,这些有主题的,你懂的,这是艺术作品
DANIEL: Yeah, there are some themes. You know, I mean, with the artwork.
我画些美国队长,小鸭子
I do some Captain Americas, you know, some ducks.
我甚至画了一个鸭鸭军团
I do a lot of ducks and they’re like my armies
我会把他们用在抵御撒旦的战场上
and sometimes I use them in my battles against Satan.
Daniel的画作在很多层面上就像是他歌♥曲的对照
JEFF: Daniel’s an’ mirrors his songwriting in many ways.
一样的角色,一样的主题…
The same characters, the same themes.
有很多描述单相思的画面
There are plenty of drawings that refer to unrequited love.
而且也有相同的角色,比如鬼马小精灵
You’ll find the same characters such as Casper The Friendly Ghost,
美国队长,还有弗兰肯斯坦,都经常出现
Captain America. Frankenstein appears quite often.
你可以看到拳击手乔,不朽之斗争,还有永恒大战斗
You have Joe The Boxer and the Eternal Struggle, the Eternal Battle.
有整整两年,Daniel一直在画各种战斗场面
For two years, all Daniel drew were fight scenes
关于一个拳击手在拳击场上与一个怪物搏击
of a boxer fighting a creature in the ring.
那个拳击手显然是Daniel的化身,然后那个怪物代表邪恶
The boxer clearly represented Daniel while the creature was evil.
是他专辑Hi, How Are You中的一个角色
This was Vile Corrupt from the Hi, How Are You album.
这副叫做Daniel Johnston的象征梦想的画作,在很多层面
The piece titled Daniel Johnston’s Symbolical Visions is in many ways
都是破解Daniel艺术内容的关键
the Rosetta stone of Daniel’s art.
其内容有大部分他画作常出现的象征和符号♥
It has all the figures and symbols that appear in so many of his drawings.
从Kathy McCarty的眼镜,到宝宝积木
From Kathy McCarty’s glasses, to a baby block,
从那个被削掉半个脑袋的人,到躯干雕像
to the man with the sawed-off head, to torsos.
还有那些熟悉的符号♥,比如说666,眼球和金字塔
All of the familiar figures are there, 666, eyes, the pyramid.
如果你去听他的音乐,对歌♥的内容有所熟知的话
If you listen to all of Daniel’s music and know the songs
再去看这张画,其背后的内涵更深了
and then look at the drawings, they have added meaning.
有时很难理解他在想什么。
BILL: Sometimes it’s very hard to fathom what goes on his mind.
但我可以从他的绘画中看到他每天在想什么。
I can see what he’s thinking just day by day in his drawings.
他会在画上加说明文字
He will put captions on his drawings
那些从他内心深处翻滚而出的文字
that are coming right from deep inside.
通过每天看看他的画
And by looking over his shoulder every day,
我也能懂一点他内心在想的东西了
I can get a little bit of what goes on in his mind.
有个我在精神健康领域工作的朋友看了他的画说
A friend of mine that saw his art that’s in the mental health field said,
我知道你弟弟该上天堂,但他已经在地狱受煎熬很久了
“I know Daniel’s going to heaven, he’s already been to hell.”
我朋友看着画这么说,这恐怖至极
She was looking at the artwork and she said, “This is hellacious.
“毕竟你看,有人在受折磨”而我完全没有这么想过
“I mean, someone tortured…” And I don’t even see it that way.
他的很多作品我只感受到快乐
A lot of his artwork I see as very happy
那种对爱的执念
and he really believes in love.
我猜他一直很喜欢超级英雄那一套
I think he looks for that superhero idea
就是去拯救别人,做一个善良正直的家伙
of someone’s going to rescue or save and be the good guy.
这其实不是一个巧合,但是
It’s not really a coincidence but,
在我为Daniel做了一张致敬专辑之后,我嫁给了他最好的朋友
I did a tribute album of Daniel’s songs and later I went on to marry Daniel’s best friend.
我第一次去Daniel的工作室时
The very first time I went to Daniel’s apartment,
Daniel给了我一本诗集,说
Daniel handed me a book of poetry and said,
你可能会喜欢这个
“Oh, you might like this.
这是我朋友Dave写的诗,给你看看?
“These are my friend Dave’s poems. Why don’t you read them?”
我太喜欢它们了,Dave立刻变成了我最喜欢的诗人
And I loved them. He was instantly my favorite poet.
我做完那张专辑的两三年之后
Two or three years after Dead Dog’s Eyeball came out,
Dave给我发了封邮件:”你好我是Dave Thornberry“
Dave emailed me and said,”Hi, this is Dave Thornberry.
不知道你对我还有印象吗
“Do you remember me?”
我的回信是这样写的:”我能不记得你吗
And I wrote him back like, “Do I remember you?
我到现在还经常读你的诗”
“I read your poems all the time, still.”
然后我去拜访他,我见到他的第一眼
And I went to visit him, and as soon as we were together,
就打心底觉得,咱俩得结婚,而且我们真的结了
it was like, we have to get married. And we did.
实在很浪漫,我们第一次见面的两天后就结婚了
And it was very romantic. We got married two days after we saw each other
就在我认识他的十三年后
for the first time in 13 years.
我没有忘记过任何一件事
在我和你失去联♥系♥的那段时间里
我和Kathy在一起
我的脑袋一团乱麻
想着Kathy
想着Kathy
我对她很好的,Dave,比任何人都好
从来没有伤害过他
你真是幸运
Daniel从没有和我直接聊过Laurie
KATHY: Daniel never really talked to me directly about Laurie.
当然,我知道他所有的歌♥是关于某人的
But, of course, I knew that all the songs were about someone.
我的意思是,他这一辈子有得也有失
I mean, I knew that he had loved and lost, you know, in his life.
所以我甚至从未想过这些歌♥
And I don’t think I even ever really thought that all those songs
都是写给同一个具体的人的
were about the same person.
但在我和他分手后,可以这么说
But after we had broke up, so to speak,
我开始对Laurie有个更深的了解,他说的也更多了
I began to know more about Laurie. He talked more about Laurie.
也开始认识到,他对Laurie的那种痴迷有多深
And I began to know like, how huge an obsession, his obsession with Laurie was.
(SINGING) Love could save me somehow
But I just can’t make it
我大部分的歌♥都是关于她的
DANIEL: Most of my songs are about her.
因为希望她现在,从前,而且之后也会爱我,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!