在美洲殖民地上
英法两国争夺殖民领土
征战进入了第三年
一支仅存三人的印地安部族
他们在哈德逊河以西边陲一带狩猎
最后的摩根战士
兄弟 我们很抱歉杀死你
对于你的勇气 速度和耐力 我们深感敬佩
你好
Hello!
约翰·柯麦隆
John Cameron!
金卡加 你好吗
Chingachgook! How are you?
“生命之神”很眷顾我 约翰
The Master of Life is good, John.
又过了一年了
Another year passed.
你好吗
How is it with you?
还过得去 我很好
Getting along. Yes, I am.
娜珊约
Nathaniel.
约翰 你又开垦了一块地
Hello, John. Cleared another quarter, I see.
是啊
Yes, I did.
亚力山卓 欢迎
Alexandra. Welcome.
嘿 杰克 你好
Jack, how are you?
娜珊约 你好
Hello, Nathaniel.
很好 谢谢
How’ve you been? Good. Thank you.
你们都到哪去打猎了
Where you boys been trapping?
卡雅赫河的西边
West of the Cuyahoga.
安卡斯为何跟你们一起
Why is Uncas with you?
他该找个女人建立个家了
He should have settled with a woman, started a family by now.
安卡斯你看
Hey! Hey! Hey, Uncas, look!
我们猎遍摩和克草原沿河五里地
Mohawk field we saw was five mile long on the river.
与别伦特酋长草原的交界
Chief Joseph Brandt’s field.
你们猎了不少吧
You take much fur?
是的 确实不少
That we did. Lots.
在哈里根区设陷阱
The Horicon’s near trappedout now.
你们在哪交换毛皮 卡斯特顿
Where are you trading your skins? Castleton?
不是 在史库伊勒
No. Schuylerville.
苏拉维屯垦区 跟荷兰人交换银器
Schuylerville, with the Dutch, for silver.
英国人和法国人会用枪和白兰地 还有贝珠钱来换银器
French and English want to pay with wampum and brandy.
杰克 你呢 什么风把你吹来的
So what is it, Jack? What brings you here?
法国♥军♥队带着一群印地安人
French and lndian army are heading south out of Fort Carillon
离开了卡利城
to war against the British.
准备要攻打英国人 我是来帮英国组织民兵的
I’m helping to raise New York’s militia to fill the Crown’s levy.
这里的人会参战吗
And the people here are gonna join in that fight?
明天就知道了 你有啥打算呢
We’ll see in the morning. Where’re you boys heading?
在秋天我们要狩猎 然后再到肯德基过冬
We’ll trap over the fall. Winter in Cantuckee.
找个会说德拉瓦语的女人给安卡斯
Find a Delawarespeaking woman for Uncas.
她会说 就是你 然后帮她生许多小孩
She will say,”You are the one!” Bear him many children.
生像我一样的小孩
Then you can have a boy like me.
才不要 你太强壮了
Never. You’re too strong.
这样我会老得快
Turn me old too fast.
这正是他对他妈妈做的事情
That’s what he’s doing to his mama.
约翰·柯麦隆 谢谢你的招待
John Cameron, thank you for your hospitality.
摩和克族人跟法国人之间并无仇怨
Mohawk traded furs with les francais.
而且有跟他们交易毛皮
We got no quarrel with les francais.
现在法国人把休伦族 沃太华族 比那基族
Now les francais bring Huron, Ottawa,
带来我们摩和克族的土地上
Abenaki onto Mohawk land.
现在摩和克族人要和法国人 休伦等族作战
Now Mohawk will fight les francais and Huron.
我代表摩和克族等共六族人请求说明
I speak for the Twin Rivers Mohawk of the Six Nations.
英王二世乔治陛下 非常感谢你们的支持
His Majesty, King George ll, is very grateful for your support.
他们还离村庄有多远
How far up the valley?
现在他们在威廉城附近
Up to Fort William Henry.
有两天路程
That’s two nights and a bit from here.
那足以说明他们是我们的敌人
Should be enough to remind you all that France is our enemy.
法军是你的敌人吧
France is your enemy.
你说什么
What did you say?
如果我们走了 他们来攻击我们的家园怎么办
While we’re at your fort, what if the French attack our homes?
你说啊中尉
What then, Lieutenant?
这就是为了你们的家园 国家 皇上
For your homes, for King, for country!
所以你们要加入战斗
That’s why you men ought to join this fight!
为了你们自己的头皮 爱怎么做是你们的事
You do what you want with your own scalp.
但别支使我们怎么做
Do not be telling us what we ought to do with ours.
你这叫爱国吗 是效忠皇室的臣民吗
You call yourself a patriot? A loyal subject to the Crown?
我根本不承认我是英国人
I do not call myself subject to much at all.
我同意一些娜珊约和约翰的话
I agree with some of what Nathaniel and John say,
但英国仍然统治着我们
but I believe England’s still our sovereign.
我去
I’ll go.
我也去对抗法国
We will go to fight the French.
我们兄弟志愿参战
My brother and I will volunteer up.
杰克 我愿和你一起作战
I’ll fight with you, Jack.
我要留在我的农庄上
I’m staying on my farm.
离开参战的人 欢迎他家属来同住
Any man who goes, his family’s welcome
直到战争结束
to fort up with us till he comes back.
我的意见是
Boys, my sense of it is
我们有足够的人手组织民兵应♥召♥
we have enough here to fill the county levy,
我们应该参战
and it’s a fight we ought to make.
但首先要跟韦伯将军谈好条件
But first we got to get terms from General Webb.
去哪跟他谈呢
Where are you meeting him?
我们去亚班尼
We’ll go to Albany.
立正
Attention!
我告诉他们 没有命令他们
We speak for the men, not command them.
如果不能随时离开战场 回去保卫他们的家园
If they’re not allowed leave to defend their farms and families
在法军攻击他们时
If the French attack the settlements,
那就不会有民兵加入作战
then no colonial militia is going to Fort William Henry.
你们没有资格与英国♥军♥队谈条件
They will report or be pressed into service.
任何被挑中的男性
Any of the boys worth having
若敢违抗征召 躲入森林者
can disappear into the forest. They will be found.
那会怎样的下场呢
And where does that leave you then?
他们将会被逮捕
Those men will be found, arrested…
以陛下的仁慈怎么可能有任何理由
I cannot imagine His Majesty, in his benevolence,
去反对他在美洲的子民随时回家
would ever object to his loyal American subjects
去保卫他们的田园 女人和孩子
defending their hearth and home, their women and children
这意思是说 可以让他们随时离开
Does that mean they will be granted leave
能回去保卫家园是吗
to defend their homes if the settlements are attacked?
当然
Of course.
那么您已经拥有这支民兵部队了 将军
You got yourself a colonial militia, General.
那就是我们乐见的
It is what we wanted.
少校邓肯海华报到
Major Duncan Heyward reporting, sir,
我来接受派遣 路上安全吗
en route to Fort William Henry and bearing dispatches. Safe journey, l trust?
是的 安全 路上遭遇的事
Yes, and I didn’t experience anything
比不上这里的事如此使我讶异
so surprising from Bristol to Albany as that that I witnessed here today.
什么事使你讶异
And what was that?
征召民兵竟然还要谈条件
The Crown negotiating the terms of service.
我知道
I know.
但总要有理由让他们乖乖做事
One has to reason with these colonials to get them to do anything.
随然很烦但也只能如此
Tiring, isn’t it? But that’s the lay of the land.
我以为大英帝国的政策是”世界英国化” 长官
I thought British policy is”Make the world England,” sir.
原来你是被派到威廉亨利堡去
I see you’re to serve with the 35th Regiment of Foot
加入蒙罗将军麾下的第35步兵团
at Fort William Henry under Colonel Munro.
我则带领第60步兵团前往爱德华堡
I’ll be marching the 60th to Fort Edward.
跟少校解释一下 他有点担心那位法国将领
Explain to the Major, he has little to fear
第一 马奎将军丝毫不足畏惧
from this General Marquis de Montcalm in the first place,
所以几乎用不到民兵助阵
and therefore scant need of a colonial militia in the second,
第二 因为法国人天生就不是打仗的料
because the French haven’t the nature for war.
他们只懂吃喝玩乐
Their Latinate voluptuousness
宁愿偷懒作♥爱♥直到 火烧屁♥股♥了才要打
combines with their Gallic laziness. And the result is,
他们吃喝成性胜于作战
they’d rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.
请问有没有 蒙罗将军女儿们的消息
Might I inquire if General Webb has heard from Colonel Munro’s daughters?
我正要到亚班尼与她们会合 然后护送他们到威廉堡去
I was to rendezvous with them in Albany and escort them to the fort, sir.
蒙罗怎么叫你的
You there, what does Munro call you?
那苏格兰佬派他的盟友 摩和克族战士做你的向导
The Scotsman has sent you one of his Mohawk allies to guide you.
马瓜
Magua.
苏格兰佬的女儿在地主家
The Scotsman’s daughters are at the Poltroon’s house.
我派第60团的一个连兵力护送你们
A company of the 60th will accompany you,
马瓜会为你们带路
and Magua will show you the way.
清晨六点在营地集♥合♥ 到时见
Dawn. At the encampment, 6: 00 a. m. sharp. See to it you’re there.
长官 让我来
I’ll take him for you, sir.