…that my family has owned since the 1860s.
我的很多表亲都已经破产
A lot of my cousins are broke
而这桩买♥♥卖♥♥能让我们所有人富得流油
and the sale will make us all very very rich.
我们家六天后将集♥会♥ 决定买♥♥主
My family meets in 6 days to approve a buyer.
但自从我父亲去世之后
But ever since my father died,
我就成了唯一的受托人
I’m the sole trustee.
也就是说 决定权由我一人掌控
Which means I alone hold all the cards.
我的曾曾祖母是玛格丽特·克阿洛希拉尼公主
My great-great-grandmother was Princess Margaret Ke’alohilani,
卡美哈美哈国王最后的直系后裔之一
One of the last direct descendants of King Kamehameha.
她本该嫁给她的表兄
She was originally supposed to marry her cousin…
但她爱上了白人银行家 爱德华·金
…but she fell in love with Edward King, her haole banker…
他的父母是传教士
…whose parents were missionaries.
靠着他的地♥产♥买♥♥卖♥♥和她的巨额遗产
Between his land deals and her huge inheritance…
他们的后代 也就是我们
…generations of their descendants, all of us…
过去通过出租和买♥♥卖♥♥地♥产♥
…have watched the past unfurl
已经将千百万财产收入囊中
millions into our laps through leases and sales.
而现在有了《禁止永久权规则》
Now something called the Rule Against Perpetuities…
迫使我们解除这种遗产信托
…is forcing us to dissolve the trust.
我们手中最后的
We’re selling our last huge
这片广阔的夏威夷处♥女♥地将被卖♥♥掉
parcel of virgin Hawaiian land.
和我的众多表亲不同
Unlike a lot of of my cousins,
我从没挥霍过我的委托金
I havn’t blown my share of the trust money.
就像我父亲那样
Just like my father before me…
我以律师为职谋生
I live only on the income from my law practice.
我不想让我的女儿们
I don’t want my daughters
娇生惯养 养尊处优
growing up spoiled and entitled.
丽兹总是责怪我太吝啬
Liz always accuses me of being stinginess,
但我同意我父亲的观点
but I agree with my father:
给孩子的钱不能少到让他们无法作为
You give your children enough money to do something…
也不能多能到让他们可以碌碌无为
…but not enough to do nothing.
马特 你的表亲们到了
Matt, your cousins are here.
我不仅是唯一信托人
Not only am I the sole trustee…
而且我还专门研究地♥产♥交易法
…but I specialize in real estate transactional law.
所以一些关心此事的表亲
So a few of the more involved cousins…
会定期和我开会 分♥析♥竞标情况
…have been meeting with me regularly to analyze the bids.
哈尔表哥
Cousin Hal…
米洛表弟
Cousin Milo…
斯坦表哥
Cousin Stan…
西科斯表弟
Cousin Six…
温克表弟
Cousin Wink…
科尼表姐
Cousin Connie.
和戴夫表哥 两人都全盘反对这桩买♥♥卖♥♥
And Cousin Dave, both of whom oppose the sale entirely.
很高兴见到你
Good to see you.
别被外表蒙骗了
Don’t be fooled by appearances.
在夏威夷 有些权要之人
In Hawai’i some of the most
看上去就像流浪汉或是特技演员
powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
好吧 说到哪儿了
Alright, so, where are we?
所有提案都大同小异
The proposals are virtually the same.
酒店 购物中心 公♥寓♥和高尔夫球场
Hotels, shopping centers, condos and golf courses.
我的顾虑主要是
I have some major concerns…
一个芝加哥集团公♥司♥出价五亿美元
A Chicago group is offering half a billion dollars…
但我们更偏向
But we’re leaning toward
一个出价略低的买♥♥家唐·霍利泽
a lower bid from a guy named Don Holitzer.
他是考艾岛人
He’s actually from Kaua’i…
在硅谷赚了一笔
…made a fortune in Silicon Valley.
休老哥有意让我们
Old cousin Hugh is pushing
选择这位买♥♥家 我并不反对
us in that direction, and I say why not?
肥水不流外人田
The money will come from Hawaii and stay in Hawaii.
伊丽莎白会挺过去的 我知道
Elizabeth’s gonna make it out okay. I know it.
这还不是她撒手人寰的时候
It’s not her time yet.
她会醒过来的
She’ll wake up
会回到斯考蒂和亚历山德拉身边
Scottie and Alexandra will have their mother back…
我要和她谈谈我们的婚姻
…and we’ll talk about our marriage.
我会让一切都恢复正常
I know I can make things right.
我会把地卖♥♥了
I’ll sell the land and quit
把工作辞了 给她买♥♥她想要的一切
my practice and buy her whatever she wants:
一艘大船 一栋法国别♥墅♥
A big boat, a house in France…
环游世界 就我们俩
We’ll take a trip around the world, just the two of us.
我们会重归于好
We’ll get close again…
甜蜜如初
…like the early days.
马修 我也希望能带给你好消息
I wish I had better news, Matthew.
但陈医生 穆勒医生和我都认为
But Dr. Chun and Dr. Mueller and I agree that her condition…
她的病情正在恶化
…is deteriorating.
她已经没有眼球活动 瞳孔反应
She has no eye movements, She has no pupillary responses…
也没有任何脑干反射
She has no brainstem reflexes whatsoever.
机器只能维持生命体征
The machines can keep her alive.
但其他身体状况极不乐观
But the quality of her life would be so poor…
基本就和现在一样
Basically the way it is now.
她再也无法恢复到以前了 马特 再也不会了
She’ll never be the way she was, Matt. Never.
我们现在肯定这一点
We know that now.
听着
Look…
告诉你这些我实在很抱歉
I can’t tell you how sorry I am to tell you this.
你还有女儿们
And you do have your daughters.
但现在我们已经无能为力了
There’s just nothing more that we can do.
如果我们把机器停掉
So if we do go ahead and take her off the machines –
不是如果
There is no if.
是什么时候 我要遵守法规
It’s when. I have a legal obligation,
这你明白
You know that.
她还能撑多久
How long will she last?
很难说
That’s hard to say.
可能几天 可能几个礼拜
Could be a few days, Could be a couple of weeks.
如果要计划后事的话
For planning purposes, I think
你应该做好最坏的打算
you should work off the shortest possible scenario.
而且之后我立马要
I know I’ve got to get the
进行器官捐献手术
ball rolling on the organ donations right away.
马特
Matt…
伊丽莎白有很多朋友
Elizabeth has many friends…
她活得多姿多彩
She has a big life.
如果你想通知大家来向她告别
If you’re gonna let everybody know
那现在就该开始了
to say goodbye which is…
这种情况下能做的只有这些了
…the typical protocol for these situations, you start now.
那样的话 大限来临时
Then when the last day comes…
人们会更有准备
…they feel more ready.
更容易面对这样的时刻
As ready as they can feel for something like this.
很抱歉 马特
I’m so sorry, Matt.
他来了
There he is!
还好吗
How’s it going?
这是干嘛呢
What’s going on?
她成天被关在这儿
Oh, she’s been looking a
脸色有些苍白
little pale lately all cooped up in here and…
要是没人帮她涂点唇膏上点腮红
…I just know she’d be mortified
她一定觉得特没面子
if nobody helped her out with some lipstick and blush.
肯定会拿我是问
I know she’ll grill me.
当然了 卡伊还忙不迭的
And of course Kai’s getting
给她讲最新的八卦消息
her all caught up on all the latest gossip.
我可不想以后再从头跟她讲起
Well, I don’t want to start from scratch later.
对了马特 今天来的时候我们顺便
Oh, and Matt, on the way here we stopped by…
放了点吃的在你家冰箱里
…and putted some meals in your fridge,
欢迎品尝
all ready to nuke.
谢谢
Thanks.
怎么样了 马特 有好转吗
So what’s the latest anyway, Matt? Any updates?
没什么变化 就是维持肾
Just more of the same. Just keeping her kidneys…
还有其他重要器官的功能
…and other vital organs working,
满怀乐观的期望
And hoping for the best.
海洋桨叉架船俱乐部
这里的东西太好吃了
The food at the club is so good.
是啊 他们手艺好
Yeah, they do a good job here.
为什么水母要叫水母
Why is it called a jellyfish?
它跟水不一样 也不都是母的
It’s not a fish, it’s not jelly.
不知道
I have no idea.
你的问题提得很好 斯考蒂
You ask good questions, Scottie.