Don’t deny it. We had an actual conversation!
但没有达成明确的共识
But not an actual agreement.
对,我们是没签过协议
Nothing written down, no.
但你也清楚地知道
But you were quite clear
只有我是为“工党领袖”四个字而活的
there was only one of us with “Labour Leader” written all over him.
哪怕我知道,那也是六年前的事了,戈登!
Gordon, that was six years ago!
所以呢?
So?
时过境迁,物是人非
Maybe events have overtaken us.
是吗?那你现在是怎么想的?
Really? Which events did you have in mind?
越来越多的人认为
There is a growing number
我才是更好的人选
that think I would be a better candidate,
而我也的确吸引了新领域的选民们
that I appeal to new areas.
你或许可以赢得南部
You’d get the South,I grant you that,
但你永远没法获得苏格兰的选票
but you’d never win Scotland.
苏格兰无关紧要
Scotland is an irrelevance.
关键在于吸引新的投票
The point is attracting new voters.
你也永远没法儿得到威尔士甚至北方的支持
You’ll never get Wales or the North.
那就吸引南方新的工党支持者
Attracting new Labour voters in the South,
伦敦周围各郡以及西南部的选民
the Home Counties, and the Southwest,
这样我就已经做得比你更好了
and I think I’m in a better position to do that than you.
那我们现在达成共识了
And so it’s true.
你就要和我作对了
You are going to stand against me.
如果这是对党内更好的决定
If I’m persuaded it is better for the party,
那我也只能这样了
I might.
托尼,你真的想好了吗?
Do you think you really know that, Tony?
怎么样做才是为工党好
What’s best for the Labour Party?
我来掌权就是个好的开始
Being in power might be a start!
亲爱的戈登,我想了很多关于
Dear Gordon, I have thought a lot about your fears
你害怕被媒体报道的事
that you are being written out by the press.
你完全不需要担心这个
I don’t believe your fears are justified.
没有人能说你没有能力
Nobody is saying that you’re not capable or…
或者不适合成为领袖
appropriate as leader,
只是现在时机不对
merely that the timing is bad for you.
唐纳德·杜瓦明确地表示支持你
Definite yeses are Donald Dewar,
同样的还有罗恩·戴维斯,汤姆·克拉克…
Ron Davies, Tom Clarke…
媒体打出的牌是
The card the media are playing for Tony
托尼是南部的代言人
is his Southern appeal.
大家都知道
Everyone agrees
你的政♥治♥能力
there is no one to rival your political…
无人能及
capacity,
但就因为
but because you would be appearing
你是第二个参加竞选的人
to come in as the second runner,
你就会被指责是想要制♥造♥分♥裂♥
you would be blamed for creating the split.
我们很有可能拉到的支持有
So definite maybes
杰克·坎宁安和迈克尔·米切尔
are Jack Cunningham,Michael Meacher.
克里斯·穆林呢?
What about Chris Mullin?
他在托尼一边
With Tony.
你需要经历
You would need to mount
不尽其数的竞选活动
a massive and sustained campaign,
那些活动会严重得影响到你和托尼
which could damage both you and Tony
这是给敌人送上门的软肋
and be a gift to our enemies,
而且哪怕你们都完成了,也不一定能在大选取胜
and even then,I could not guarantee success.
金诺克怎么说?
What about Kinnock?
他支持托尼
With Tony.
哈特斯利呢? Hattersley?
支持托尼
With Tony.
哈丽雅特·哈曼呢?Harriet Harman?
也支持托尼
With Tony.
托尼已经把整个议会三分之一的支持收入囊中了
Tony’s got a third of the entire Parliamentary party in the bag.
那你需要帮我拉到比那更多的支持
Well, you need more than a third to win.
工党内如果还有人明事理的话,就该知道
The Labour Party, if it’s got any sense, will elect the person
他们该选一个能够延续
that they feel is most likely to carry on the work
尼尔金诺克和约翰史密斯工作的人
of Neil Kinnock and John Smith.
你指的是谁?
And who is that, do you think?
托尼布莱尔
My own view is that it will probably be Tony Blair.
戈登?戈登? Gordon? Gordon?
我在 Yes?
皮特·曼德尔森求见
It’s Peter Mandelson to see you.
让他进来 Show him in.
我不同意,我绝不让步
I won’t do it. I won’t stand aside.
好吧 Fine.
我会赢的 And I’ll win, too.
Um…
说实话很难
That will be difficult.
你要知道
You have a problem…
你不再是领跑者了
in no longer appearing to be the front runner.
当然在党内你是公认的
Certainly you are seen as the biggest intellectual force
智谋战略家
and strategic thinker the party has.
没人能质疑
And no one is saying
你的能力
that you would not be capable as leader.
只是因为
Merely that the…
现在时机不对
timing is bad for you.
如果你坚持,之后只会…
And that lately, there have been…
更加艰难
presentational difficulties.
哦?是吗?
Oh, really?
你说说会有什么困难
What’s that, hmm?
你就是来当那个“苏格兰人”的公♥关♥的?
PR for “Scottish”?
戈登,你总是远离人群
It means you alienate people, Gordon.
又太情绪化了
You can be moody.
也有说是激♥情♥
Others call that passion.
太严肃又尖锐
And intense.
是因为我的标准更高
I have high standards.
你偏执又狭隘
And intolerant.
我不能容忍♥笨蛋
I don’t countenance fools.
你的付出值得敬佩
All of which is admirable,
但政♥治♥并不只是这些空中楼阁
but politics is not always about higher matters.
有时你也需要做些放下身段的事,比如交朋友
Sometimes it is about the ugly business of making friends.
维护这些朋友关系
Keeping friends…
让自己讨喜 Being liked.
我看看
Let’s see.
这篇认为戈登会参加竞选
This one seems to think Gordon’s going to stand.
他们引用了一位工党高级议员的话来说,想要阻止戈登
They’ve quoted a senior Labour MP as saying to stop Gordon,
除非你给他穿上束缚衣再找20个工党议员压住他
you need to put him in a straitjacket with 20 MPs on top.
那个工党高级议员,是查理惠兰
Senior Labour MP. It’s Charlie Whelan.
我还设法拿到了一份他在斯旺西的演讲稿
Also, I managed to get a copy of the speech he made at Swansea.
火焰仍在燃烧,工作仍在继续,
The flame still burns.The work continues.
对正义的坚持仍在继续
The passion for justice endures,
美好的愿景永远不会褪色
and the vision will never fade.
他什么意思?What does that mean?
那愿景… The vision…
听着他是准备竞选了
To me it sounds like he’s going to run.
一文不值
Rubbish.
这不意味着什么
Look, it means nothing.
…充满机遇,
…humming with opportunities,
充满新的可能性…
alive with new possibilities…
他只是还没想明白
He doesn’t know what he thinks.
…充满新的活力和能量
…vibrant with a new dynamism and energy.
你们和我说实话
So… hands on hearts, both of you.
你们也觉得我该让步吗
Do you think I should stand aside?
当然不
No, never.
如果你参加的话,我能保证
If you stand, I can guarantee
T&G会支持你,而不是玛格丽特·贝克特
the T&G will back you over Margaret Beckett.
G&B也会紧随其后
Which means G&B would follow suit.
这能给我们打下坚实的基础
That’s a big power base.
你又有苏格兰和威尔士的支持
You’ve got Scotland,you’ve got Wales.
你在口才上远胜于他,
In a fight you can outdebate him,
在思想上远胜于他,甚至在表现上也远胜于他,而他也知道
you can outthink him,you can outperform him,and he knows it.
但闹成这样
But it would be bloody.
场面也太难看了
Ugly.
而且我们经历着这么多
And have we come this far
难道就是为了去指望T&G的垂怜吗
that we want to go crawling to the T&G?
是啊,那我们经历着这么多
Well, have we come this far
难道就要看着一个“保守党”来领导我们吗
to see the Labour Party led by a Tory?
我决定了
Okay.
安静
Shh.
哪位
Hello.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!