如果晚上有什么爆♥炸♥性的消息,能给我来个电♥话♥吗?
If any story breaks during the night,can I count on you for a live feed?
当然,如果有好消息
If it’s good news, yes.
好吧,祝我们好运
Hmm. Good luck.
谢谢
Thanks.
1, 2. 测试,测试. 1, 2.
1, 2. Testing.Testing. 1, 2.
玛格丽特,我可从没在门外见过你。
Hello, Margaret. I never saw you at any doorsteps.
因为我总是在里面
Because I was inside.
这是苏格兰人会对他们喜爱的政客做的事:
That’s what Scottish people do with politicians they like:
邀请他们进来
They ask them in.
戈登,托尼布莱尔来电
Gordon, telephone. Tony Blair.
怎么了?
Hello?
该死
Oh, fuck.
戈登,60秒后开始录影
Gordon, I need you to go live for me in 60 seconds.
一个不寻常的夜晚
A quite extraordinary night.
保守党的狂欢,或者更直白地说,工党炼狱
Tory elation.Frankly, Labour despair.
保守党把握住了关键,迎来了戏剧性的反转
Dramatic scenes as the Tories hold their key marginal…
大家把周围清空一下
Can we clear the floor, please?
快快,都动起来
Come on, clear!
我们马上开始直播
We’re going live to air
3,2,1,开始
in 3, 2, 1.
我们现在来连线肯尼斯·克拉克
We’re joined now by Kenneth Clarke
还有现在在苏格兰的戈登布朗
and from Scotland by Gordon Brown.
布朗先生,我想先问问你
Mr. Brown, I’d like to start with you first.
这对工党来说无疑是一场灾难
This is surely little short of a disaster?
才11点,这个夜晚刚刚开始
It’s barely 11:00.The evening’s just started,
现在就说是灾难还为时过早
so I think it’s a little early to talk of disasters.
23,692票
23,692.
我在此宣布,新一任丹佛姆林东区的下院议员
I hereby declare the new member for Dunfermline East
是戈登布朗
is Gordon Brown.
戈登!戈登!戈登!
Gordon! Gordon! Gordon!
戈登!戈登!
Gordon! Gordon!
我们..很多人都没有预想到
We… think there are faces there
今晚的这些情况
that did not expect to witness these scenes tonight
尤其当选举中期胶着的时候
at some points during the campaign.
但这就是政♥治♥
But that is the nature of politics.
这就是…
That is the nature of…
天呐,他们会有多恨我们?
God, how much must they hate us?
他们都曾寄予了很高的期望
They like this lot more.
我不确定我是否还能再在反对党呆四年
I don’t know if I have four more years of opposition in me.
你明天准备做什么?
What are you doing tomorrow?
我想去见见皮特
I’ve arranged to see Peter.
你们何不都到我这儿来?
Why don’t you both come down here?
我们一起盘算盘算下步要怎么走
I think we need to work out what we’re going to do.
我由衷地
I naturally feel a strong sense of disappointment,dismay, sorrow,for so many people in our country.
为我们国家的很多人感到
I naturally feel a strong sense of disappointment,dismay, sorrow,for so many people in our country.
失望、沮丧和悲伤
I naturally feel a strong sense of disappointment,dismay, sorrow,for so many people in our country.
他们值得比现在更好的场面
They deserve better than they got
在1992年4月9号♥
on the ninth of April, 1992.
现在谈领袖问题还太早
It’s far too early to be discussing the leadership.
在工党内部,尼尔金诺克仍然受到完全的尊重、感激和拥护
Neil Kinnock still has the whole-hearted respect,gratitude, and support of the entire Labour party.
我本人也很荣幸能在他手下继续工作
And I for one would be delighted to continue to serve under him.
他将整个党派凝聚成一股政♥治♥力量,
He has united the party as a political force,
成为一个有效的竞选组织
modernized it as a campaigning organization
又不同于以往
and quite apart from this legacy,
他有着天生的魅力和亲和力
his own natural charm and warmth of character
使他成为党内历史上最好的领袖之一
will mark him down as one of the all-time great leaders of this party.
如果工党……会顺利很多…
It should have been easy if Labour were going…
尼尔也知道所有人都盼着他马上下台
As long as Neil knows everyone wants him out by Monday.
我觉得你应该站出来去竞选领袖,戈登
I think you should stand for the leadership, Gordon.
让我做你的副手
With me as your deputy.
都知道会输,我为什么还要站出来
Why would I stand only to lose?
我不认为你会输
I don’t think you would lose.
根据报导
According to the papers,
接下来将是约翰的独角戏
it’s a one-horse race for John.
那些报纸,皮特,还说我们将赢得大选
The papers, Peter,said we’d win the election.
无论如何
Anyway,
我都不想和他竞争
I wouldn’t feel comfortable running against him.
我向他许诺过,我不会这样
I gave him my word I wouldn’t.
现在可不是感情用事的时候
I don’t think this is the time for sentimentality.
我更喜欢把它称为友情的表现
I prefer to call it friendship.
现在党内的信心已经跌到谷底
The party’s confidence has been shattered.
他们需要一个强势的人带他们走出去
They need to be led by someone strong.
报纸上就是这么形容约翰的
Which is exactly what the papers are saying about John.
但他远不如你
But not as strong as you.
他才是凝聚起党内的最佳人选
He’s the best man to unite the party.
而且他有政♥府♥内阁的经验。
He’s had experience of government at cabinet level.
他无疑是最佳人选,也是唯一人选
He’s clearly the best candidate.The only candidate.
你说的我都懂。但你们看看他
I know. But just look at him.
完全一副爱丁堡银行经理的做派
I mean, the whole Edinburgh bank-manager thing.
他是过去式了
He’s part of the old order.
我完全理解不了你的犹豫不决
Look, I really can’t understand this hesitancy.
你自己说的,我们需要大步流星地走向现代化变革
You said yourself,our modernization needs to be radical.
而小心翼翼、固步自封对我们毫无意义
Caution and half measures will get us nowhere,
这就是约翰会带给我们的
and that’s exactly what John will give us!
你怎么想,皮特
What do you think, Peter?
考虑到他只睡了两小时
Seeing as he had about two hours’ sleep,
我觉得他已经做得很好了
I thought he did pretty well.
好吧
Very well.
今天是个完全不同的托尼
It was a different Tony today.
一种我从没见过的样子
One I’ve not seen before.
其实我能理解他
Well, I’ve some sympathy with him.
在伊斯灵顿圈子里生活不容易
Can’t be easy living in his Islington circle
当他的朋友们又在吹嘘挣了多少钱
with all his friends banging on about how much they’re earning,
他最好的年纪却在反对党奋战
with him sitting out the best years of his life in Opposition.
领导力的体现
Deputy leadership.
不,是一种政♥治♥野心的无处安放
No. A dustbin of political ambition.
此外,约翰也会看到这些结果
Besides, John will have seen those results
然后意识到南部不能交给两个苏格兰人
and realize the South will never go for two Scots.
我不是在说你
I didn’t mean you.
我说的是托尼
I meant for Tony.
他是个明显的候选人,不是吗
He’s the obvious candidate, isn’t he?
他很年轻,也很聪明
I mean, he’s young, he’s bright,
他在政♥府♥工作得不错,对南部选民也很有吸引力
he’s good in the House,appeals to the South.
而且,他有野心
And he’s ambitious.
即便有约翰的支持
Even with John’s endorsement,
托尼也很难获得超过30%的选票
Tony’s hardly likely to get more than 30% of the vote.
工会讨厌他的大胆
The unions hate his guts.
而且玛格丽特·贝克特又是个女的
And Margaret Beckett’s a woman.
我还是觉得该是约翰
I’ll be suggesting as much to John myself.
约翰·史密斯以压倒性优势成为工党领袖。
John Smith is Labour leader by a landslide.
玛格丽特·贝克特被选举为副领袖
Margaret Beckett was elected deputy leader.
打扰了
Sorry.
抱歉让你久等了
Sorry to keep you waiting.
没事
That’s okay.
好了,我会尽量轻柔一点
Right. I’ll try and make this as painless as I can.
没事,我不会表现出什么
Don’t worry. I always wanted to be an actor.
安心地修理吧
Take as long as you like.
你一定很失望吧
You must be disappointed.
我为什么会失望?
Why would I be disappointed?
这周六的时代杂♥志♥写了整整五页关于你的内容
The Sunday Times magazine devoted five pages to you
标题是《工党错失的那个男人》
as “The man that Labour missed”.
好吧,我还没看过那篇报导
Well, I haven’t seen that article.
但无论如何,对于现在的结果我都很满意
In any case, I’m delighted with the result we have.
约翰和玛格瑞特提供了大量智慧的决策方向
John and Margaret offer tremendous intellectual leadership.
他们有着丰富的政♥治♥经验
They’ve got immense political experience.
两人都是曾经工党政♥府♥的大臣
Both were ministers in the previous Labour government,
最重要的是
and most important,
将给工党带来变革
will carry on the process of changing and reforming the Labour Party
确保我们的观点和组织都能适应所在的时代
to make sure our ideas and organization fit the age we live in.
谢谢你,布莱尔先生
Thank you, Mr. Blair.