那个瞬间,立刻就陷入了
[Beth] It just clicked.
就是来电的感觉
We had so many dreams of traveling and climbing together.
我们拥有如此多的梦想:一起旅行一起攀岩
And then we got invited to go on a big adventure trip.
之后,我们受到邀请
An expedition to Kyrgyzstan.
去参加在吉尔吉斯斯坦的一次野外探险旅行
Kyrgyzstan is this beautiful, mountainous country
吉尔吉斯斯坦是个多山的美丽国家
in Central Asia.
在亚洲中部
We’d seen pictures from friends that had been there,
我们曾经看到过一些朋友去后拍摄的图片
and it looked like a paradise for climbers.
对于攀岩选手,那里简直就是天堂。
I was a photographer working in the outdoor industry.
我是一名户外摄影家
And this amazing opportunity came about for me
当时接到一个灰常棒的机会
to shoot an expedition with Beth and Tommy and Jason.
与Beth、Tommy和Jason一起远行,给他们做拍摄
We were just four young climbers looking for a big adventure
我们是四个喜欢探险的
in a new and unusual part of the world.
喜欢在世界上新的地点、不同寻常的地点去做攀岩的年轻人
[Tommy] We charter a helicopter into the Kara-Su Valley.
我们包了一架直升机,来到Kara-Su山谷
Unbelievably beautiful.
美丽到难以置信
Just felt like a dream come true,
感觉梦想成真
out in the middle of this adventure
一边探险
with this girl that I was totally in love with.
一边与我深爱的女孩在一起
A week-and-a-half into our trip,
出行一周半以后的一天
the four of us were sleeping in portaledges
我们四个正睡在悬挂式野营帐篷里时
1,000 feet up the wall,
高度是在岩壁的1000英尺处
-and we wake up to gunshots…
-[Gunshot]
我们被枪声惊醒
…these piercing, close gunshots.
子弹的穿透声,越来越近
[Gunshots]
The bullets hitting the wall right between our portaledges.
子弹击中了我们几个悬挂帐篷之间的岩石
We’re sitting there like,
我们坐在那里
“Oh, my God, we’re getting shot at.”
老天,难道我们要被打中吗
And you can’t run away. You can’t do anything.
可是,既无法逃跑,也无法做任何其它事
We’re just sitting ducks up here.
就像别人的靶子,只能坐在那儿
We look down, and you could see these figures.
我们往下看,可以看到这些人影
[Tommy] These guys waving at us to come down.
他们朝我们挥手示意我们下去
[Beth]We rappelled down to the ground.
我们靠绳索下降
[Tommy] We’re encountered by four guys, heavily armed.
下去以后,见到四个全副武装的人
[John] They took us to our base camp.
他们把我们弄到我们的攀岩大本营
[Jason] All of our tents were cut open.
我们的帐篷全部被割开
A lot of our food was splayed around the meadow.
许多我们的食品被撒落在四周的草地上
They had us start hiding our camp.
他们让我们把帐篷藏起来
And so suddenly, it hits us, we’re hostages right now.
这时我们才醒悟到,自己是人♥质♥
[Beth] Later, we learned that these guys
之后,我们知道这些人
were part of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan,
是乌兹别克斯坦的伊♥斯♥兰♥运动组织成员
these rebels that wanted to overthrow the government.
他们目标是推♥翻♥政♥府♥
[John] We were caught up in this battle
我们被卷入这场
between these rebels and the Kyrgyz military.
吉尔吉斯军队与叛军之间的争战
[Tommy] All of a sudden,
突然之间
Kyrgyz military helicopters started to fly over,
吉尔吉斯军队的直升机在头顶盘旋
soldiers show up on the hillside,
山坡上也有士兵出现
-and this battle breaks out. 争战开始
-[Gunfire]
The rebels start pointing their guns at us, yelling. “Hide!”
叛军用枪指着我们吼道:躲起来
Then we dive in these trees.
我们就躲避到树林里
[John] The rebels had taken a Kyrgyz soldier hostage.
叛军也抓吉尔吉斯士兵的人♥质♥
They took the other captive.
他们把抓到的其他俘虏
And they just shot him in the head.
在脑袋上直接给一枪
[Gunshot]
I just remember shaking uncontrollably
记得我那时,不由自主地颤抖
and Tommy just holding me as tight as he could.
Tommy紧紧地抱着我
Are they just going to kill us next?
他们会不会下次就枪杀我们?
[Distant gunfire]
[Tommy] Once it’s dark, the gunfire dies down.
天黑以后,枪击声消退了
And the rebels start marching us through the mountains.
叛军押着我们穿过山脉
It’s four rebels, the four of us.
叛军是四个,我们也是四个
It’s really cold. We’re 11,000 feet in elevation.
超级冷。我们在海拔11000英尺的高地上
We don’t have warm clothes.
没有暖和的衣服
We don’t have any food.
也没有任何食物
[Beth] We had no idea where we were going.
我们都不知道会去哪里
[John] We would hike through the night,
要徒步穿过黑夜
and then during the day, they would hide us.
天明以后,他们就藏起我们
[Beth] They hid us in the craziest spots.
他们把我们藏身在一些难以想象的地方
[Tommy] Burying us in holes in the ground
比如地下的洞穴里
so that we wouldn’t be seen by the military.
这样政♥府♥军就不会看到我们
[John] This went on for six days.
就这样过了六天
[Beth] Day two or three, hunger really started to set in.
从第二或第三天开始,饥饿就击倒了我们
[Tommy] You know, we’re sort of just wasting away.
你明白的,我们变得特消瘦
[Beth] I thought they’re taking us back to their base
我以为他们要把我们带回基地
or they’re taking us somewhere, there’s a purpose to this.
或者带到什么地方,总之有一个目的地
[John] Finally, we realized
最后,我们意识到
they were leading us in a giant circle.
他们就是带着我们兜了一个大圈子
Like, these guys clearly don’t have a plan.
就是说,这些人根本就没有啥计划。
Jason and John started to scheme about how we could get away.
Jason 和John开始思量该怎么逃脱
I mean, things were getting super desperate.
我意思是,情形变得超级绝望
They were ready to take matters into their own hands.
他们预备把形势掌控到自己手上
At one point, two of our captors left.
在某个地点,抓捕我们的人,其中有两个离开了。
-We never saw them again.
-[Gunshots]
自后再也未见过他们
We found out later that they got killed.
然后才发现他们被打死了
On our sixth night of captivity,
所以在被抓捕后的第六天
the two captors that were remaining with us
剩下两个抓捕我们的人
decided that one of them would go in one direction
决定其中一个人应该
to try and get some food
沿着一个方向去找吃的
and then we would head off with the other one.
我们这些人,就和另一个抓捕者一起走。
[John] So we get left alone with the one rebel,
那时,押解我们的就只有一个人了
climbing up this cliff side.
他把我们押着爬上悬崖边。
We were comfortable on the terrain, and he was not.
我们是很习惯这种悬崖地形的,而叛军不是
If we’re going to escape, this is the opportunity.
如果企图逃脱,这是绝好机会
[Tommy] Jason and John decided
Jason 和John 开始决定
they would try and push our remaining captor off this cliff
他们想把这个留守的抓捕者推下悬崖
and then run away.
然后逃跑
[Jason]John and I were trying to look for a point
Jason 和我开始找合适的地点
that we could throw him off.
让我们可以推他下悬崖
[John]But we kept going and kept going.
但我们一直走啊走
We just couldn’t quite push him.
没法一下子就推下他
[Tommy] As we got to the top,
等我们到达山顶
I realized that our opportunity was going to be over.
我觉得我们的机会已经过去了
And I decided that this was what I had to do.
因此我认为这事应该由我去做
I had to go and I needed to push this guy off this cliff
我想跑走,所以就需要把他推下悬崖
in order to save our lives.
这样我们才能得救
Tommy came over to me at this point, and he said,
Tommy 就过来问我
“Do you think I should do this?”
“你觉得是不是我应该去做?”
I was thinking, “Yes, no, yes, no.”
我想,是的,不是,是的,不是
So I just didn’t say anything.
却一个字也没有说出来
[Tommy] I took that as that she would be OK with it.
我把Beth的沉默看成是她默许这个事
So I just ran up behind him
所以就跑在叛军解押者的后面
and I put one hand on his back and grabbed his gun strap.
往他后背推了一掌,同时抓住他的枪带
And my other hand went on his chest
我另一只手伸向他的胸部
and I just gave a push…
推了一下
…to send him flying off this cliff.
把他推♥翻♥飞下悬崖
We saw him hit a ledge,
我们看见他摔倒在伸出的一块平整岩石上
bounce off of it, and just fall out of sight into the darkness.
被重新弹出,然后就摔进黑暗,再也看不到了
[Beth]
Tommy completely broke down,
Tommy整个人都崩溃了
had his head in his arms and he was crying.
头埋进胳膊开始哭
[Tommy] I couldn’t believe what I had just done.
无法相信自己的所作所为
I had just killed somebody.
无法相信自己杀了人
The whole world came crashing down on me all at once.
片刻之间,整个世界都压倒了我
[Beth] We were all trying to reassure him and say that,
我们大家都使劲肯定Tommy的行为
“You’re not a bad person, you just saved our lives.”
都说,你不是坏人,是你才救了我们
[Tommy] They really tried to comfort me.
大家都尝试着安慰我
But there was a sense of urgency that we better get going,
但,当时最紧迫的是需要跑出来
because we didn’t know if the other captor was gonna show up.
因为我们不知道那个另外的叛军解押是否会出现
[John] We knew from hiking in earlier
早先在徒步探险时,我们知道
where there was a military outpost we could try and run to.
有一支政♥府♥警戒分队(在附近),我们可以跑去求助
[Beth] So even on almost no food for six days,
这样,尽管饿了六天
adrenaline kicked in.