在海上这兄弟俩相处很好 但不知什么原因
who got along fine at sea but, for some reason,
一旦回到陆地 他们就不对盘
once they were on dry land couldn’t stand the sight of each other.
你知道的 每八艘船就有一艘永远回不来
You know, one in every eight boats never returns.
一个叫约翰·格林的 人如其名
There was John Grimm, who sure fit his name.
全体船员在海上失踪了
All hands lost at sea.
来自南达科他州的贝尔维迪市
From Belvedere, South Dakota.
还有来自北卡罗来纳州阿什维尔的 普莱森特·柯蒂斯
And Pleasant Curtis from Asheville, Notch.
从不跟人说话 除了他自己
Never said a word to anyone, except himself.
我经常给他写信
I wrote him constantly.
我经常给他写信
I wrote him constantly.
我告诉他我受邀参加纽约市
I told him I had been invited to audition in New York City
一所美国芭蕾学校的面试
for the School of American Ballet.
请留下
Please stay.
谢谢 谢谢
Thank you. Thank you.
你可以留下来
You can stay.
可我在团里并不出名
But I was relegated to the corps.
只不过是个跳舞的流浪者
Another dancing gypsy.
本杰明!
Benjamin!
第一次见你时
How is it when you showed up
你比那个系船柱大不了多少 还一只脚踩进了棺材
you were no bigger than a bollard with one foot in the grave,
而现在 是我喝多了
but now, either I drink a hell of a lot more than I think I do,
还是你长个了?
or you sprouted?
你有什么秘密?
What’s your secret?
船长
Well, Captain,
你确实喝多了
you do drink a lot.
我们住在一个小旅馆里 名字不错 叫冬宫
We stayed in a small hotel with a grand name, The Winter Palace.
你根本不知道自己在说什么
You have no idea what you’re talking about.
蜂鸟不是一般的鸟类
The hummingbird is not just another bird.
它的心率达到每分钟1200下
Its heart rate’s 1,200 beats per minute.
它的翅膀每秒扇动80次
Its wings beat 80 times a second.
要是让它无法扇动翅膀
If you was to stop their wings from beating,
不到10秒就会死掉
it would be dead in less than 10 seconds.
这不是一般的鸟
This is no ordinary bird.
简直就是奇迹
This is a frickin’ miracle.
人们用影像慢放扇翅膀的动作
They slowed down their wings with moving pictures,
知道他们看到了什么?
and you know what they saw?
它们的翼尖像这样运动
Their wingtips are doing that.
知道数字8有什么数学含义吗?
You know what the figure eight is the mathematical symbol for?
无穷
Infinity.
无穷!
Infinity!
每个人 不论语言和肤色有何差异
Everybody, no matter what differences they had,
却都有一个共同点
the languages, the color of their skin, had one thing in common.
每晚都会喝醉
They were drunk every single night.
三楼 谢谢
Three, please.
能等一下吗 亲爱的?
Could you hold, dear, for us, please?
非常感谢 晚上好
Thank you very much. Good evening.
她叫伊丽莎白·艾伯特
Her name was Elizabeth Abbott.
她并不漂亮 很平凡
She was not beautiful. She was plain as paper.
但在我看来她很美
But she was pretty as any picture to me.
你在看什么?
What are you looking at?
你该知道 我们有个长♥期♥协议
If you must know, we have a longstanding agreement
不醉不归
never to go to bed sober.
-对吗 亲爱的? -随你怎么说 亲爱的
-Isn’t that right, darling? -Whatever you say, darling.
她丈夫是沃尔特·艾伯特
Her husband was Walter Abbott.
他是英国贸易代表团在摩尔曼斯克的首席部长
He was Chief Minister of the British Trade Mission in Murmansk,
而且他还是个间谍
and he was a spy.
-亲爱的 -哦 谢谢 亲爱的
-Darling. -Oh, thank you, my darling.
-钥匙 亲爱的 -噢 对
-Key, darling. -Oh, yes.
我的一只鞋跟断了
I broke my heel off one of my shoes.
我不习惯只穿袜子走路
I’m not in the habit of walking about in my stocking feet.
那里白天很长
They were long days there.
夜晚更加漫长
And even longer nights.
有一个晚上 我辗转难眠
One particular night, I was having trouble sleeping.
抱歉
I’m sorry.
我睡不着
I couldn’t sleep.
我要去泡些茶 你要吗?
I was gonna make some tea. Would you like some?
哦 不用了 谢谢
Oh, no. Thank you.
牛奶? 还是蜂蜜?
Milk? Honey?
一点蜂蜜 谢谢
A bit of honey, please.
我希望你不介意蜂蜜里有苍蝇
I hope you like flies in your honey.
哦 还是算了
Oh, perhaps not.
哦 也许多浸一会会更好
Oh, maybe better to let it steep a little.
浸?
Steep?
浸泡
Soak.
我不知道 我的意思是 泡茶就该这样
I don’t know, I mean, there’s a proper way of making tea.
我家乡那都喜欢喝热茶
Well, where I’m from, people just want it to be hot.
这样啊
Well, quite right.
-现在你是海员 -水手
-Now, you’re a seaman. -A sailor.
希望你不要介意 我忍♥不住想问
I hope you won’t think me impolite, but I have to ask,
作为一个水手你是不是有点老?
aren’t you a little old to be working on a boat?
没有年龄限制 只要你能做
There’s no age limit, as long as you can do the work.
你睡不好是吗? 谢谢
And you have trouble sleeping? Thank you.
以前不这样 通常我睡得像婴儿一样沉
I didn’t think I did. I usually sleep like a baby.
有些事让我睡不着
Something’s been keeping me up.
我父亲80岁的时候
My father, in his 80s,
深信自己会在睡眠中死去
he was so convinced he was gonna die in his sleep,
他约束自己只睡午觉
he limited himself to having afternoon naps.
他坚信自己可以逃脱死亡
He was so determined he was gonna cheat death.
-他做到了吗? -做到什么?
-Did he? -Did he what?
睡觉时死了?
Die in his sleep?
他死在自己最喜欢的椅子上
He died sitting in his favorite chair
听着自己最喜欢的广播节目
listening to his favorite program on the wireless.
他一定已经知道了
He must have known something.
我的丈夫是英国贸易部长 我们已经在这呆了14个月了
My husband’s the British Trade Minister, and we’ve been here for 14 months.
-天哪 -本来我们要去北♥京♥的
-Good God. -We were supposed to go to Peking
可是看来永远都无法成行了
but it never seemed to work out.
你去过远东吗?
Have you been in the Far East?
没有 事实上我哪也没去过
No. I’ve never been anywhere, really.
我是说 港口以外的地方
I mean, outside of harbors.
你从哪来?
And where is it that you’re from?
路易斯安那州新奥尔良
New Orleans. Louisiana.
我知道那个地方
I didn’t know there was another.
她跟我讲了她去过的地方 还有她的所见所闻
And she told me about all the places she had been, and what she had seen.
我们一直聊到天亮
And we talked till just before the dawn.
我只是一个酒鬼
I’m just a lush, myself.
我们回到各自的房♥间 过各自的生活
And we went back to our rooms, to our separate lives.
可每晚我们都会在大厅见面
But every night, we’d meet again in that lobby.
午夜的旅馆是一个神奇的地方
A hotel in the middle of the night can be a magical place.
老鼠在远处跑跑停停
A mouse running, and stopping.
暖气炉发出嘶嘶的响声
A radiator hissing.
窗帘在沙沙作响
A curtain blowing.
这样的场景让你感到安静 甚至是温暖
There’s something peaceful, even comforting
你知道你所爱的人此刻正在熟睡之中
knowing that the people you love are asleep in their beds
而没有什么可以伤害到他们
where nothing can harm them.
伊丽莎白和我都忘记了时间
Elizabeth and I would lose track of the night
直到黎明的到来
until just before daybreak.
我想我可能让你误解了
I think I may have given you the wrong impression.
什么?
Beg pardon?
已婚女人通常不会在半夜
Well, married women don’t customarily sit around
和陌生男人呆在旅馆里
in the middle of the night with strange men in hotels.
我不知道已婚女人什么该做 什么不该做
I wouldn’t know what a married woman does or doesn’t do.
晚安
Good night.
摩尔曼斯克
Murmansk.
“我遇见了一个人 我坠入了爱河”
“I’ve met somebody, and I’ve fallen in love.”
妈妈?
Mom?
那是60多年前的事了
That was over 60 years ago.
你爱他吗 妈妈?
Did you love him, Mother?
小女孩哪懂什么爱情?
What does a girl know about love?
呃…
Well…
-我穿得不好 -哦 看起来蛮好 这才像你
-I’m not dressed. -Oh, you look splendid, just as you are.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!