高个子的人有时就这样
That’s what happens with tall people sometimes.
好吧 再见
Well, goodbye.
那年我就是一个人这么过来的
Spent a lot of time by myself that year.
有人吗?
Hello?
-你好 -我今天刚搬来
-Hi. -I’m moving in today.
欢迎 我们等你很久了
Welcome. We’ve been expecting you.
你能带她去卢梭太太住过的那间吗?
Can you please show her up to Mrs. Rousseau’s old room?
抱歉 我们这里是不许养狗的
I’m sorry, but we usually don’t allow dogs in the house.
她已经很老了 都快瞎了
Well, she’s old as the hills. She’s almost blind.
不会麻烦你们很久
She won’t be a bother much longer.
好吧 只要不碍事待多久都行
Well, all right, long as she stays from up underfoot.
这边 夫人
Right this way, ma’am.
我想了很久也没想起她叫什么
As hard as I try, I can’t remember her name.
劳森太太还是哈特福德太太
Mrs. Lawson, or Mrs. Hartford.
也许是梅普尔太太
Maybe it was Maple.
很有意思 有时候我们最记不得的人
It’s funny how sometimes the people we remember the least
却印象最深
make the greatest impression on us.
我清楚记得她戴着钻戒
I do remember she wore diamonds.
总是穿得很漂亮 像要出门一样
And she always dressed in fine clothing, as if she was going out.
但她从没出过门 也没人来看她
Although she never did and nobody ever came to visit her.
她教我弹钢琴
She taught me to play the piano.
无所谓你弹奏得怎样
It’s not about how well you play.
重要的是你弹琴时的感受
It’s how you feel about what you’re playing.
试试看
Try this.
情不自禁沉浸于音乐中
You can’t help putting yourself in the music.
变化是无穷的
There were many changes.
有些看得到 有些看不到
Some you could see, some you couldn’t.
比如头发会四处生长
Hair had started growing in all sorts of places,
还有很多其他的事物
along with other things.
我感觉很棒
I felt pretty good, considering.
亲爱的 痛
Darling, the pain.
好的 妈妈 我去叫护士
All right, Mom, I’ll get the nurse.
看看风眼 这是强烈飓风
Look at this eye. This is a major hurricane,
飓风移♥动♥不快 伴随最大持续风…
a slow hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of…
感觉不好?
Not doing too good?
似乎没人知道该走还是该留
Nobody seems to know whether to stay or leave.
都会过去的
I’m gonna ride it out.
好了 让她舒服点
There. That should make things much easier.
道过别了吗?
Have you had a chance to say your goodbyes?
我父亲等我弟弟从博格市回来 等了四个小时
My father waited four hours for my brother to get here from Boger City.
想见他最后一面
Couldn’t go without him.
-她看上去很安详 -是啊
-She seems like a sweet woman. -Yeah.
我应该多陪陪她的…
I haven’t had as much time with her as I would’ve…
-忙吗? 过来帮我下 -失陪
-You busy? I could use your help. -Excuse me.
没关系
Sure.
奎尼会同意我跟道斯先生…
“Queenie would let me go with Mr. Daws…”
去波弗蒂角看船 (路易斯安那州內印地安人遺址)
… to Poverty Point to watch the boats go up and down the river.
这些日子不好过
These were hard times.
我跟你说过我曾被闪电击了7次吗?
Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?
一次是在田里放牛
Once when I was in the field, just tending to my cows.
我的伙计没来
My fourth hand didn’t show up.
有人想在这打工赚个2块钱吗?
Anybody want to make $2 for a day’s work ’round here?
怎么了?
What’s the matter?
没人想勤恳工作赚这一天的工钱?
Nobody wants to do an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?
他从不给钱
He never pays.
-没人要做? -我做
-Nobody wants a job? -I do.
你不晕船吧 老头?
You got your sea legs about you, old man?
我想是的
I think.
很好 这就够了
Well, that’s good enough for me.
快上船 上来就知道了
Get your ass on board. We’ll sure as hell find out.
我从没这么开心过
I was as happy as I could be.
谁来帮忙!
I need a volunteer!
我什么都做
I would do anything.
是 船长!
Yes, Captain!
把鸟屎都刮了!
Scrape off all this bird shit!
马上 先生
Right away, sir.
事实上 本没报酬的我却拿到了
And I was actually gonna be paid for something I would’ve done for free.
他是迈克·克拉克船长
His name was Captain Mike Clark.
7岁起就在拖船上了
He’d been on a tugboat since he was seven.
上来
Get moving, then.
过来
Come here.
你还能勃起吗?
Can you still get it up?
每天早上都行
I do every morning.
就凭这根 哈? 能竖得老高老硬的?
The old pole, huh? The high, hard one?
我想是的
I guess.
你上一次碰女人是什么时候?
When was the last time you had a woman?
-从没碰过 -从没碰过?
-Never. -Never?
我记得没有 先生
Not that I know of, sir.
等等
Wait a minute, now.
你是说你活了这么多年
You mean to say you’ve been on this earth however many years
还没上过女人?
and you’ve never had a woman?
见鬼 这是我听过最惨的事了
Damn, that’s the saddest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.
从没碰过?
Never?
没有
No.
好吧 你得感谢老天爷让你遇上我
Well, then, by Jesus, you are coming with me.
你父亲做什么的?
What did your father do?
我从没见过我父亲
I never met my father.
你这走运的杂种
You lucky bastard.
做父亲的都想压制儿子
All fathers want to do is hold you down.
我在我父亲的船上日夜做工
Out on my father’s boat, workin’ the two-a-day,
这个混♥蛋♥胖子
this little, fat bastard.
别人都叫他”爱尔兰苦力”
“Tug Irish,” they called him.
不过最后我终于鼓足勇气跟他说
Anyway, I finally work up the nerve and tell him,
“我不想把我的一辈子都浪费在这破船上”
“I don’t want to spend the rest of my life on a goddamn tugboat.”
知道我的意思吗?
You know what I’m saying?
你不想把一辈子浪费在破船上
You don’t want to spend the rest of your life on a tugboat.
对! 就是这样!
Absolutely! Damn right!
那你知道我爸怎么回答吗?
So you know what my father says to me?
他说 “你♥他♥妈♥以为自己是谁?
He says, “Who the hell do you think you are?
“你♥他♥妈♥以为自己能做什么? ”
“What the hell do you think you can do? ”
然后我告诉他
So I tell him.
“既然你问了
“Well, if you’re asking,
“我想当艺术家”
“I want to be an artist.”
他笑了
He laughs.
“艺术家? 你就是干拖船的命 就和我一样”
“An artist? God meant for you to work a tugboat, just like me.
“老老实实地给我♥干♥活”
“And that’s exactly what you’re gonna do.”
后来我真成了艺术家
Well, I turned myself into an artist.
一个纹身艺术家!
A tattoo artist!
这都是我自己纹的
I put on every one of these myself.
要拿走我的艺术 你得先活剥了我
You have to skin me alive to take my art away from me now.
我死后 要把自己的手臂给他
When I’m dead, I’m gonna send him my arm.
那条
That one.
让别人去说吧
Don’t let anyone tell you different.
想做什么就去做
You gotta do what you’re meant to do.
我碰巧就成了他妈的艺术家
And I happen to be a goddamned artist.
可你还是个拖船船长
But you’re a tugboat captain.
迈克船长?
Captain Mike?
我们已经为你和你的朋友准备好了
We’re ready for you and your friend.
走吧 老家伙 去破你的身吧
Let’s go, old timer, eh? Break your cherry.
-好啊 甜心们! -嗨 船长
-Hello, my lovelies! -Hey, Captain.
-嗨 船长 -嗨
-Hi, Captain. -Hi.
-嗨 -嗨
-Hi. -Hi.
好恶心 我才不要
He gives me the willies. That is not for me.
今晚过得如何 老爷爷?
How are you tonight, grandpa?
那是一个难忘的夜晚
It was a night to remember.
你是什么 狄克·崔西还是什么? 我得休息休息
What are you, Dick Tracy or something? I’ve got to rest.
再来
Again.
-谢谢 -不 该谢谢你 你今晚过得不错
-Thank you. -No, thank you. You have a nice night.
-明天你还在吗? -除了星期天每天都在
-Will you be here tomorrow? -Every night but Sunday.
我想我明白了挣钱的重要
It sure made me understand the value of earning a living.