他会把每本剧本都带回来给我看
He brung home every play for me to read.
“看守我这衰弱的老头子的好人们
“Kind keepers of my weak decaying age,
“让垂死的摩提默在这儿歇一歇吧
“Let dying Mortimer here rest himself.
“我由于长♥期♥监禁 肢体痛楚不堪
“Even like a man new haled from the rack,
“好像刚从刑架上拖下来的人一般
“So fare my limbs with long imprisonment.
“我这满头白发 是在苦难的岁月中折磨出来的
“And these gray locks, the pursuivants of death,
“它预示着摩提默的死期不远了”
“Argue the end of Edmund Mortimer.”
你以为我不识字 对吗?
You thought I was plain ignorant, didn’t you?
你以为我不识字 对吗?
You thought I was plain ignorant, didn’t you?
我祖父侍奉的那个演员叫约翰·威尔克斯·布斯
The actor my grandfather worked for was John Wilkes Booth.
就是他杀了亚伯拉罕·林肯
He killed Abraham Lincoln.
世事难料
You never know what’s coming for you.
周六晚上 妈妈会带我去教堂
On Saturday nights, Mama would make me go to church.
本杰明!
Benjamin!
-阿门! 阿门! -阿门! 阿门!
-Amen! Amen! -Amen! Amen!
有什么需要帮忙的吗 女士?
What can I do for you, sister?
她的内部器官有问题 无法生育
Her parts are all twisted up inside and she can’t have little children.
主啊 如果您能宽恕这个女人的罪行
Lord, if you could see clear to forgive this woman her sins
就让她孕育胎儿吧
so she can bear the fruit of the womb.
出来吧 该死的苦难!
Out, damnable affliction!
-赞美主! -赞美主!
-Praise God! -Praise God!
哈利路亚!
Hallelujah!
-哈利路亚! -哈利路亚!
-Hallelujah! -Hallelujah!
这位老人又有什么苦?
And what’s this old man’s irrediction?
魔鬼缠上了他
He’s got the Devil on his back,
想要提早把他赶进坟墓
trying to ride him into the grave before his time.
-出来吧 魔鬼! -是的!
-Out, Zebuchar! -Yes!
-出来吧 魔鬼! -是的!
-Out, Beelzebub! -Yes!
你多大了?
How old are you?
七岁 可我看起来要老得多
Seven. But I look a lot older.
上帝保佑你
God bless you.
他只有七岁
He’s seven.
这是一个乐观向上的人
Now, this is a man with optimism in his heart.
-是的 -灵魂有所信仰!
-All right. -Belief in his soul!
-是的! -是的!
-Yes! -Yes!
上帝的眼中我们都是孩子!
We are all children in the eyes of God!
-是的! -哈利路亚!
-Yes! -Hallelujah!
我们得帮你摆脱那个轮椅
We are gonna get you out of that chair.
-让你能走路 -阿门
-And we’re gonna have you walk. -Amen.
没事
It’s all right.
以上帝的名义…
In the name of God’s glory…
站起来!
Rise up!
加油
Come on.
加油 走起来
Come on. Walk.
加油 孩子 加油
Come on, son. Come on.
-用力 孩子 加把劲 -加油
-Come on with it, son. Come on. -Come on.
上帝会一路看着你的
Now God is gonna see you the rest of the way.
上帝会看着这个小老人 不靠拐杖轮椅 一路走下去
He’s gonna see this little old man walk without the use of a crutch or a cane.
上帝会看着你…
He’s gonna see that you walk from faith…
-哈利路亚! -靠着信仰和保佑一个人走下去!
-Hallelujah! …and divine inspiration alone!
-是的 -嗨 本!
-Yes. -Hey, Ben!
-去吧 孩子! -走走看
-Go, son! -Now walk.
-太好了 -继续
-Yes. -Come on.
别碰他
Don’t touch him.
站起来 老家伙
Rise up, old man.
像拉撒路那样站起来
Rise up like Lazarus.
给我站起来!
I said, rise up!
哈利路亚!
Hallelujah!
是的
Yes.
加油
Come on.
说哈利路亚
Say hallelujah.
-哈利路亚! -哈利路亚!
-Hallelujah! -Hallelujah!
走啊
Walk.
继续走 对
Walk on. Yes.
就是这样 本杰明
That’s right, Benjamin.
每当我回想起这些 还是觉得是个奇迹
Now when I look back on it, it was miraculous.
有句话这么说的 有得必有失
But you know the saying, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.
赞美主啊!
Glory in the highest!
上帝啊!
Sweet Jesus!
-不! -不!
-No! -No!
这有很多人过生日
There were so many birthdays.
他真是个快乐的好人 他真是个快乐的好人…
For he’s a jolly good fellow For he’s a jolly good fellow…
我们一般不出门 我们会省着用蜡烛
So we wouldn’t run out, we would spare the candles.
奎尼 你知道我不喜欢生日 也不喜欢蛋糕
Queenie, you know I don’t like birthdays and I don’t like cake.
死亡也是这里的常客 人们来到这里 又安静离去
And death was a common visitor. People came and went.
你可以感觉到有人离开了
You always knew when someone left us.
那时房♥子里总是寂静无声
There was a silence in the house.
这是个值得成长的美好地方
It was a wonderful place to grow up.
在这个地方 人们抛开了过往生活中的矛盾
I was with people who had shed all the inconsequences of earlier life.
每天只关心天气 洗澡水温度
Left wondering about the weather, the temperature of a bath,
一天行将结束时的阳光
the light at the end of a day.
总会有人来重新填补死者的房♥间
For everyone that died, someone would come to take their place.
我结过5次婚
I’ve been married five times.
我和我的第五任妻子 被临近的食人部落抓住了
My fifth wife and I are captured by a neighbor tribe of cannibals.
哦 天哪
Oh, goodness gracious.
我们从河里逃跑
We escaped across the river.
我的妻子不会游泳 所以很不幸被吃了
My wife, she can’t swim, so, sadly, she eaten.
哦 天啊
Oh, my God.
我的第二任妻子踩到了眼镜蛇 就这么死了
My second wife steps on cobra and dies.
嫁给我真是很不幸
It was very bad luck to be married to me.
那是欧缇先生 他是我一个熟人的熟人
That’s Mr. Oti. He’s an acquaintance of an acquaintance of mine.
-第二年夏天我被… -他是个矮人
-The next summer I’m captured… -He’s a Pygmy.
…巴希勒部落的人抓了 还有其他三个人
…with three others by the Baschiele tribe.
他们用我们跟一个奇怪的美国人 换了猪 鞋子和啤酒
They trade us for pigs, shoes, and beer to a very strange American man.
听说你并不像看起来那么老
I hear you’re not so old as you’re looking.
大家都被你耍了
You just fooling everybody.
怎么了? 你有马甲本吗?
What’s the matter? Did you get Madjembe?
什么是马甲本?
What’s Madjembe?
虫子
Worms.
我身上没虫子
I don’t think I have worms.
我就是这样的
This is just how I am.
-今天吃药了吗? -没有 夫人
-Did you take your pills today? -No, ma’am.
来 喝点冰汽水
Come. Let’s get a cold root beer.
我在枕头下找到了药片
I found the medication under your pillow.
我不该去 太危险了
I’m not supposed to. It’s dangerous.
谁说的? 来 小家伙
Who said that? Come on, little man.
孩子们好
Hello, children.
等等
Hold, please.
我和费城动物园的猴子关在一起
Then I’m in the monkey house at Philadelphia Zoological Park.
第一天就有3000人来
Three thousand people show up my first day.
看
Look.
住笼子里是什么感觉?
What’s it like living in a cage?
臭死了
It stinks.
可是有猴子
But the monkeys.
他们会表演戏法
They do some tricks there.
我扔矛 和科瓦利打架
I throw a spear, wrestle with Kowali.
她是只母猩猩
She is orangutan.
不和猴子玩的时候 他们就把我赶回笼子
When I’m not playing with the monkeys, they want me to run to the bars
让我咬来咬去
in my cage, with my teeth.
之后呢?
So then what’d you do?
后来我离开了动物园 这儿走走 那儿走走 四处游荡
Then I leave zoo, go here, go there. Wandered most of the time.
独自一个人?
You were all alone?
大多数时候都是一个人的
Plenty of time you’ll be alone.
像我们这样的异类 就是这样
When you’re different like us, it’s gonna be that way.
告诉你个小秘密
But I’ll tell you a little secret.
无论什么肤色 什么体型
Fat people, skinny people, tall people,
人都是孤独的
white people, they’re just as alone as we are.
但可怕的不是孤独 而是惧怕孤独
But they’re scared shitless.
我想起了伴我长大的那条河
I think about the river I grew up on.
再次坐在河边感觉一定很妙
It would be nice to sit by my river again.