在那儿 总是有新鲜事可做
There’s always something to do.
明天我就得回去了
I have to go back tomorrow.
-这么快 -真想留下来
-So soon. -Wish I could stay.
如今 跳舞的人 都不需要服装和背景了
Dancers don’t need costumes or scenery anymore.
我都能想象 自己不♥穿♥衣服跳舞的样子
I can imagine dancing completely naked.
你读过D.H.劳伦斯的书吗?
Have you read D.H. Lawrence?
-呃… -他的书都被禁了
-Well… -His books were banned.
那些文字 读起来 就像做♥爱♥
The words are like making love.
在舞团 大家必须互相信任
In our company, we have to trust each other.
性 就是条件之一
Sex is a part of it.
知道嘛 很多跳舞的都是女同
You know, a lot of the dancers are lesbians.
有一个女人 就想跟我睡
There was one woman who wanted to sleep with me.
-你听了会不高兴吗? -关于哪部分?
-Does that upset you? -Which part?
就是有人想和我睡那部分
Somebody wanting to sleep with me.
你很性感
You’re a desirable woman.
我想 他们很多人都会想和你睡吧
I would think most of them would want to sleep with you.
咱们回去吧
Let’s go back to the house.
或者到哪开间房♥
Or we could get a room somewhere.
-你可以脱下夹克… -这样似乎不好 黛西
-We could lay down your jacket. -I don’t know, Daisy.
也不是说我不想还是怎么的 我只是怕 会让你失望
It’s not that I wouldn’t like to or anything. I think I’ll just disappoint you.
本杰明 我和更老的人都在一起过
Oh, Benjamin, I’ve been with older men.
明早你就要回纽约了
You’re going back to New York in the morning.
你该和朋友在一起
You should be with your friends.
-你只能年轻一次 -我够大了
-You’re only young once. -Oh, I’m old enough.
黛西 就是 今晚不行
Daisy, just not tonight, is all.
我们可以去听听音乐
We could go hear some music.
我们的生命 因为各种各样的机遇 而变得更有意义
Our lives are defined by opportunities.
甚至那些我们错过的
Even the ones we miss.
你看起来 如此英俊 与众不同
You look so handsome and so distinguished.
据说飓风不会过来 刚好从我们这块刮过去
They’re saying the hurricane’s gonna miss us, blow right on by.
-太好了 -我在毯子下面和妈妈一起躺着
-Oh, that’s great. -I’ll stay under the blankets with Mother.
她什么也没说…本杰明你在吗?
She says nothing… Benjamin?
“我的生命…
“Things were becoming different…”
又有了不一样的变化
… for me.
我的头发 越来越黑 像野草一样生长
My hair had very little gray and grew like weeds.
我的嗅觉更加灵敏 听觉 也加更敏锐
My sense of smell was keener. My hearing, more acute.
我走得更快更远
I could walk further and faster.
别人都在变老 而我 却独自一人 越来越年轻
While everybody else was aging, I was getting younger, all alone.
进来吧
Come in.
本杰明
Benjamin.
-还记得我吗? -当然了 巴顿先生
-Do you remember me? -Well, sure I do, Mr. Button.
-你这是怎么了? -该死的脚 感染了 那个…
-What happened to you? -Darn foot. Got infected, so…
欢迎回家 朋友
Welcome home, my friend.
你还是喜欢把威士忌 和别的酒混起来喝啊
I see you’re still drinking your Sazerac with whiskey.
呵 习惯这东西
Creature of habit.
你还常去波旁大道那边的工厂吗?
You still visiting the house on Bourbon Street?
很久没去了
Not for a long time.
说来有趣
Interesting times, though.
我们一开始每天做四万个纽扣 到后来一天50万
We went from making 40,000 to nearly half a million buttons a day.
厂里的工人多了十倍
We employed 10 times the number of people.
我们没日没夜地工作
We were operating around the clock.
说来惭愧
Damn shame.
战争让纽扣生意更红火了
The war has been kind to the button industry.
知道嘛
You know,
我病了 不知道还能活多久
I’m sick. I don’t know how much longer I have.
-您也别太难过了 巴顿先生 -别这么说…
-I’m sorry to hear that, Mr. Button. -No…
我没什么朋友 一直都是独来独往
I don’t have any people. I keep to myself.
但愿你不要介意 不过 如果有可能
I hope you don’t mind, but, whenever possible,
我希望你可以多陪陪我
I’d enjoy your company.
如果力所能及 我当然会的
I’ll certainly do what I can.
本杰明 你懂纽扣生意吗?
Benjamin, do you know anything about buttons?
到现在 巴顿纽扣厂已经 在家族中传承了124年了
Now, Button’s Buttons has been in our family for 124 years.
我的祖父是个裁缝 只在里士满开了间小裁缝铺
My grandfather was a tailor, and he had a small shop in Richmond.
内战过后 他搬到了新奥尔良
After the Civil War, he moved to New Orleans,
在那儿 我父亲奋发图强 开始经营自己的纽扣生意
where my father had the wisdom to make our own buttons.
于是 在他的大力改革下 小裁缝铺成长到了今天这样的规模
So, with his help, the tailor shop grew to this.
如今 我却连衣服都不会自己缝了
And today, I can’t sew a stitch.
这故事真的很有意思
That’s very, very interesting.
很显然 您自己干得也不错嘛
You sure have done well for yourself.
那我能帮上什么忙呢 巴顿先生?
So, what can I do for you, Mr. Button?
本杰明 你是我儿子
Benjamin? You’re my son.
抱歉 我以前从没提起过
I’m so sorry I never told you before.
你是大战结束那晚出生的
You were born the night the Great War ended.
你母亲难产而死
Your mother died giving birth to you.
我以为你是怪物
I thought you were a monster.
我向你母亲保证过 保证你会平平安安
I promised your mother I’d make sure you were safe.
对不起 我不该抛弃你
I should never have abandoned you.
我母亲?
My mother?
庞恰特雷恩湖边的避暑别♥墅♥
At the summer house on Lake Pontchartrain.
我小时候 总喜欢比大家早起
When I was a boy, I’d love to wake up before anyone else,
然后跑到湖边 迎接新一天的开始
run down to that lake and watch the day begin.
那时候 我觉得自己 好像是这世上唯一一个活人
It was as if I was the only one alive.
第一眼看到她 我就爱上她了
I fell in love the first time I saw her.
你母亲叫卡洛琳·墨菲
Your mother’s name was Caroline Murphy.
她在你爷爷的厨房♥里干活
She worked in your grandfather’s kitchen.
她是都柏林人
She’s from Dublin.
1903年 她和她的兄弟姐妹 就到美国来谋生了
In 1903, Caroline and all her brothers and sisters came to live here,
就住在新奥尔良
in New Orleans.
我常常找借口下厨房♥
I’d find excuses to go down to that kitchen
就为了看她一眼
just so I could look at her.
1918年4月25号♥ 那天 是我一生中最快乐的时光
April 25th, 1918. Happiest day of my life.
那天 我迎娶了你母亲
The day I married your mother.
你为什么不早点告诉我?
Why didn’t you just tell me?
我准备把遗产都留给你
I plan on leaving everything I have to you.
-我该走了 -去哪?
-I have to go. -Where?
回家
Home.
他怎么想的 嗯?
And what does he think, anyway?
他以为自己这么冒出来
He thinks he can just show up
然后就没事了?
and everything’s supposed to be fine and dandy.
然后大家就能做朋友了?
Everybody’s just supposed to be friends.
要我说 这事我跟他没完
Well, he got another thing coming, that’s for sure.
老天有眼 我跟他没完!
God be my witness, he got another thing coming.
他丢掉你那晚 只留了18块钱
He left us $18 that night you was found.
18张皱巴巴的票子!
Eighteen ratty dollars
-还有一块脏兮兮的尿布 -晚安了 妈
-and a filthy diaper. -Good night, Mama.
晚安 宝贝儿
Good night, baby.
我有没有跟你说过 我被闪电击中过七次?
Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?
有一次 我就那么好好得遛着狗
Once, I was walking my dog down the road.
现在我瞎了一只眼 几乎听不见
I’m blind in the one eye, can’t hardly hear,
还无缘无故抽搐发抖 老是忘东西
get twitches and shakes out of nowhere, always losing my line of thought.
但你知道嘛?
But you know what?
老天爷总是不断地提醒我 让我知道自己还活着 有多幸运
God keeps reminding me I’m lucky to be alive.
暴风雨快来了
Storm’s coming.
可以为您效劳吗? 楼上 第一间卧室
May I help you, sir? Up the stairs, first bedroom.
谢谢
Thank you.
醒醒
Wake up.
我来帮你穿上衣服
Let’s get you dressed.
对 就这样
Now that’s something.
谢谢
Thank you.
不顺心的时候 你可以像疯狗那样发狂
You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went.
你可以破口大骂 诅咒命运
You can swear and curse the Fates.
但到头来
But when it comes to the end,
还是得放手
you have to let go.
这葬礼很体面
Well, it sure is a beautiful service.
他会葬在你母亲旁边
He’ll be buried right next to your mother.
您就是我母亲
You’re my mother.
我的孩子
My baby.
我以前还从没来过纽约
Now, I’d never seen New York.
-打扰下 我是黛西的朋友 -这边
-Excuse me, I’m a friend of Daisy’s. -Right this way.
-黛西有人找 黛西! -来了!
-Daisy has company. Daisy! Daisy! -Yes!