I can only speak for Ric O’Barry.
除了我自己,我不代表任何人
I cannot speak for anybody except myself.
半夜的时候,我在睡觉
At midnight, I’m sleeping.
不
No, no, no.
但是,其他OPS成员…
我不知道
I don’t know.
我不是OPS成员
I’m not OPS.
你和OPS没关系?
我不是
I’m not OPS, no.
我是会接受采访
Well, I do interviews.
只要有谁想跟我谈
Anybody who wants to talk to me,
– 我就跟他们谈 – 是嘛?
– I will talk to them. – Yes?
OPS想跟我谈,我就跟他们谈
OPS wants to talk to me, I talk to them.
我会跟每个人谈,谈汞中毒的事
I talk to anybody about mercury poisoning.
他又开始说汞中毒的事了
– 谢谢 – 没事
– Thank you. – Okay.
多谢你抽空
Thank you so much for your time.
为死去的鲸鱼祈祷
那晚最可怕的事情是
I think the most horrifying thing about the whole dive that night
你可以听得到它们
was that, you know, you could hear them
它们在彼此交流
communicating with each other,
而你清楚,到了第二天早晨 它们就完了
and you knew that that next morning that would be the end of it.
明早之后,它们将永远“被安静”
They’d be silenced forever.
它们一直试图与我们交流
They’re always trying to communicate with us,
这很难解释
and that’s hard to explain,
但如果你能像我在录制 《海豚的故事》期间那样和它们朝夕相处
but when you live with them Iike I did on the Flipper TV show day and night,
就能读懂它们的肢体语言
I could read that body language.
和如此聪慧的生物一起呆在水下
There’s something visceral
你的内心深处会产生某种共鸣
about being in the water with an animal like this.
作为一名科研人员
As a scientist,
约翰·波特–水下声音学顾问
我所受的训练,是如何通过客观的评估 来判断智能水平
I’m trained to recognize intelligence through objective measures–
比如能否使用工具,有无认知过程
tool use, cognitive processes, and so on.
但作为一名普通人
As a human being,
当我看着一条海豚,他的眼睛跟着我转
when I see a dolphin looking at me and his eyes tracking me
当我们四目相对
and I lock eyes with that animal,
我有一种由内而外的感觉,毋庸置疑
there’s a human response that makes it undeniable
我正在和一个智慧生命进行交流
that I’m connecting with an intelligent being.
学界近年来有讨论认为
Science has been tantalized for years at the prospect of talking
地球上最智慧的生物
to the most intelligent creatures on earth,
可能并非人类
which may not be human beings.
一小组科学家
A small group of scientists
决心实验,人类和海豚
determined to see if humans and dolphins
能否学会互相交流
can learn to talk to each other.
我们每年斥资数十亿向天空发送信♥号♥♥
We keep spending billions of dollars for sending signals up into the sky,
而就在地球上,有这样一个物种
and we have a species here
有可能比人类更加智能
that can conceivably be more intelligent than we are.
海豚懂得如何控制局面
Dolphins can understand how to manipulate situations,
如何与人交流
how to relate to people,
如何利用想象力进行创造
how to create innovatively out of their own imagination.
有时候,我很惊讶
It sometimes amazes me
人类广泛传授给海豚的一种语言
that the only language which has been extensively taught to dolphins
只是美国手语的一种
is a version of American Sign Language,
也就是你用双手做手势
which, of course, you use your hands,
来制♥造♥各种信♥号♥♥
so you have all these wonderful signals,
人们用双手向海豚发送指令
and people use their hands to give messages to dolphins.
但这样似乎没有意义
And this somehow kind of misses the point
因为海豚没有双手
because dolphins don’t have hands,
所以这交流从根本上就是单向的
so this is inherently a very one-way process.
总有这种拟人化的说辞
And it’s this anthropomorphic
“我们要教育他们,控制他们”
“We have something to teach them or control them,”
但或许,我们更应该关注 他们能给我们带来的启示
and perhaps we ought to be looking at what they can give to us.
智能并不是最重要的
It’s not about intelligence.
最重要的是意识
It’s about consciousness.
他们和人类一样拥有自我意识
They are self-aware, like humans are self-aware.
也就是说,当我们照镜子时
That means that we look in the mirror,
我们清楚地知道,我们看到的是什么 (注:无自我意识的生物会将镜中影像当成另一个生物)
and we know exactly what we’re looking at.
我觉得这里的渔人根本没意识到这一点
I don’t believe that the fishermen here are aware of that.
当那些海豚被困在屠♥杀♥现场
When they’re in that killing cove
看到他们的孩子在自己眼前被残杀
and their babies are being slaughtered in front of them,
他们是知道的
they’re aware of that.
他们能预测到接下去会发生什么
They can anticipate what’s going to happen to them.
还挺诡异的,不是吗?
我们现在听到的这些海豚都已经死了
明天会有新的一批海豚代替它们
1980年,我第一次到太地町
The first time I went to Taiji was in 1 980,
在那前一年,我去了壹岐市
哈迪·琼斯–BlueVoice.org创始人
and I had been to lki the year before.
壹岐是日本国内的旅游胜地
日本,壹岐
Iki is a tourist destination for Japanese
后来变得臭名昭著
which became infamous
因为他们非人地屠♥杀♥海豚
for this– most ghastly slaughters of dolphins.
一天之内,被杀的海豚 可能多达数千条,这毫不夸张
I mean, literally thousands of them would– could be killed in a day.
大约三年前,我再去壹岐
Well, I went back to lki about three years ago,
那里已经没有海豚了
and they don’t have any dolphins,
曾经,那里有成千上万的海豚在海岸游弋
where once they had thousands of them streaming by the coast.
最最讽刺的是
Irony of ironies.
因为这种全球性的捕捉海豚有利可图
Because the international captivity trade is so lucrative,
他们也想分一杯羹
they want to be in on it,
可他们已经没有海豚可捉了
and they don’t have any dolphins.
没有海豚就没有海豚馆
They have to have dolphins for their dolphin parks,
所以他们现在只能从太地町进口
so they go buy them in Taiji now.
所有人类已知的鲸类
Every cetacean known to man is endangered
只要靠近日本,就将遭受灭顶之灾
just by going anywhere near Japan.
我们问太地町的渔民 是否可以补贴他们这种行为
We asked the Taiji fishermen if we could subsidize this activity–
换言之,如果你们不出海
in other words, if you leave the boats tied up at the dock,
我们就给你
we’ll pay you the same amount of money
和捕杀海豚所得相当的钱
you would have made killing dolphins in Taiji.
他们回答道 “这不是钱的问题”
They got back to us and said “It’s not about money.
“而是为了防治害鱼”
It’s about pest control.”
防治“害鱼”
Pest control.
也就是说
In other words,
政♥府♥告诉他们
they’re being told by the government
海豚吃了太多海里的鱼
that the dolphin are eating too much fish in the ocean.
自2003年起,日本援引“科学数据” 将国际渔业产量的减少归咎于海豚和鲸鱼
我们不是想把鲸鱼描绘成有害生物
This is not attempt just to incriminate whales as a bad guy.
然而,我们也不能忽视 鱼类数量减少这一事实
However, we cannot ignore the fishing effort has been decreasing.
要我认真地对待你那个PPT真的很难
It’s seriously hard to take that PowerPoint demonstration seriously.
澳大利亚
我不得不说,有很强的证据显示
I have to tell you that there is very strong evidence
丹·古德曼–IWC日本代表团法律顾问
鲸类消耗了大量海鱼
that whales are consuming huge quantities of fish
而这也是渔业的根本
that are also the target of fisheries.
巴西政♥府♥公开表示
The Government of Brazil wants to put on record
对我们来说,你们的陈述
巴西
that to us it certainly amounts
只能用一个词来形容:扯淡
to what only can be described as biological nonsense.
很显然全球渔业产量在下降
It is clear that the fisheries of the world are on decline,
罪魁祸首是人类自己
and the obvious culprit is people,
我们只是不愿意承认
and we don’t want to acknowledge that.
日本,筑地,全球最大的水产市场
我们把海洋当成 取之不尽用之不竭的食物源泉
We look at the ocean as a source of infinite quality seafood,
我们得到一个深刻的教训
and I think we’re learning some hard lessons
那个想法是错误的
that this isn’t true.
我们捕鱼的速度太快
We’re pulling the fish out of the ocean at such a rate
整个海洋生态系统都遭到了侵蚀和破坏
and eroding and diminishing our marine ecosystems
破坏非常严重,整个系统都可能崩溃
so bad that the whole thing could collapse.
《科学》杂♥志♥2006年的一个报告预测 若以现在的速度继续捕鱼,全球水产资源将在40年内耗竭
有七成人类
70% of human beings, seven out of ten people,
他们的蛋白质摄入主要来源于海洋食物
rely as their principal protein on seafood.
如果我们失去了海洋中的鱼类
If we lose access to fish in the sea,
将会造成人类有史以来
we will be causing the biggest public health problem
最严重的公共健康问题
human beings have ever faced.
可以实实在在得说 日本控制了全球渔业市场
The Japanese literally control the world marketplace in fish.
全球每个主要港口都有他们的买♥♥家
They have buyers in every major port in the world.
他们从即将枯竭的海域捕鱼
They’re catching their fish from an ever-depleting supply,
我想他们对自己 无鱼可捕的未来充满恐惧
and I think they have a real fear that they will run out of food.
捕杀鲸类以代替原有的食物 没有比这更有逻辑的了
What more logical thing could they do than catch whales to replace them?
国际捕鲸委员会这样做