但却让战争提前一年结束
but brought the war to a close about a year sooner.
美军没有派轰炸机
The United States military did not go out
去地毯式轰炸平民或其住所
to carpet bomb civilians or anything.
他们轰炸的是工厂
They went out to bomb factories,
铁路站场 精炼厂
rail yards, refineries,
以及一些与战争有关的地方
and places that had something to do with the war.
我一点也不对这些行为感到愧疚
I don’t think that I feel bad about that at all.
这本就是我们的职责所在
That’s what we were supfn 方正兰亭中黑_GBKposed to do.
但战争接近尾声
But toward the end of the war,
德国人还是不肯罢休
the Germans would not give up.
德国
1945年h夏
从没想过要停战
Never thought a thing about it.
我们也没有考虑过炮弹之下的人们
We didn’t think about people being down there.
从没想过
That never crossed my mind
被袭击的都是些和我们一样的人
about a human being being down there.
我从没想过这些
I never gave it a thought.
他们只是德国人罢了
They’re just Germans.
明白吗 我从没想过这些
You know, and I never gave it a thought.
其实出于某些原因 我并不讨厌他们
For some reason, I didn’t hate them.
如果我看见一架在射击距离内的战斗机
If I had a fighter plane come within shooting distance,
我会想 也许这些人
my thought was, this kid probably wanted
求生的欲望和所有人一样强烈
to live as bad as you did.
我真的不讨厌他们
I really didn’t have any hate for them.
我只是害怕他们
I’m just scared of them.
从没想过这些
Never gave it a thought.
真的没有
I honestly never gave it a thought.
我只是这么感觉
I just felt this way.
他们会对我们展开行动
They’re gonna do it to us.
我们必须先发制人
We better do it to them before they do it to us.
这就是我的想法 我忍♥不住这么想
And that’s the way I felt and I couldn’t help it.
致敬英雄
威廉·汤姆斯
小岩城, 阿肯色州
看到这些有什么想法
Bring any thoughts seeing that?
铁路工人h现年93岁
我能想到的太多了
Oh I, I drifted off into several thoughts.
我回顾那些岁月
Most of them you know, uh,
大多数都是些不好的回忆
were bad thoughts when you look at a mission,
也能想起执行任务后发生的事情
and see what took place on that mission.
你的思绪迅速地回到那个时候
And your mind drifts back to those times, you know.
约翰·道尔
美国亚利桑那州
制♥造♥厂商代表h现年92岁
我们当时发生了很多空中相撞的事件
We had a lot of mid-air collisions.
飞行员们就混在一起 他们朝着
Some guys would get mixed up, pilots, and they’d start flying
错误的方向飞行 诸如此类的
the wrong direction, so on.
但是 我们的任务最可怕的地方在于
But uh, the scary part of our mission
你必须要熬过这一切
is just getting through all of that.
经过这么多任务后 你觉得有什么变化吗
Did it get easier or harder as you flew more missions?
老实说 我怕死
I just, like I said, I was scared to death.
那些都不是什么好过的日子
But uh, those were not good days.
格伦·哈里森
圣路易斯市h密苏里州
工程师h现年97岁
我们当时根本没有收音机通讯设备
There was no radio communication at all.
我们只有用内部通话装置
We had the intercom going all the time though,
去确认大家都带上了氧气面罩
checking the men with the oxygen masks on,
以确保他们的氧气能够正常流通
make sure their oxygen was flowing right.
特别是尾部机♥枪♥手
Especially the tail gunner,
队列的最后只有他自己
he was laying back there by himself so much.
在这种情况下 你会和所有人变得很亲近
You get very close to the men and everything,
他们都很年轻
and they’re all young kids.
我肯定他们现在都已经不在人世了
They’re all dead now, I’m sure.
罗伯特·罗兰
麦克卢尔h俄亥俄州
当你在高空上飞行
When you’re that high up,
机械工h农民h现年92岁
地上的一切看起来都像是小小的玩具
everything on the ground looks like a little toy.
卡车之类的东西
If you see a truck or something
看起来真的很小
it really looks small.
这真的很困难 但你不得不去完成它
It was hard but you had to do it.
我们必须要击败希♥特♥勒♥ 我们必须这么做
We had to get rid of Hitler and so we did it.
保罗·巴德·海蒂克
奥法♥伦♥h密苏里州
你们知道吗 有些炮弹
You guys know that some bombs
地区销♥售♥经理h现年92岁
穿透B-17战机的机翼
went through the wings of b-17s?
我总是好奇 这是怎么回事
I always wondered, “how in the world?”
被击中的就这样脱离了我们的编队
They were out of fn 方正兰亭中黑_GBKposition in the formation.
上帝眷顾我
God’s been good to me.
他给了我七十多年
First of all, he’s given me 70 years
和我心爱的人厮守在一起
with that lady over there,
我们有幸福美满的家庭
and we have a wonderful family.
我们有六个孩子
We had six kids,
20个孙子
and we have 20 grandkids,
22个曾孙
22 great grandkids.
所以我们一家人已是太过幸运
So, we’ve been a very blessed family.
我不是说想立刻和他们团聚
I didn’t say I want ’em all at the house at once.
阿尔·维拉格朗
圣路易斯市h密苏里州
你对这场正义之战怎么看
What do you think about the good war
怎么看待自己是最伟大的一代
and you’re the greatest generation?
照明设备制♥造♥商h现年94岁
我开始接受这种说法了
Well, um, I’m beginning to believe it.
你可以理解这种说法
Does that make sense to ya?
我不知道 当你投身于这一使命
I don’t know, you kinda grew up 10 years
忽然间好像长大了10岁
when you went into that thing.
当我回到家来
And uh, when I came back home
我再也不是从前的自己了
I didn’t feel like the same man anymore.
当别人对你说”约翰 你是个英雄”时
What do you say to people who say,
约翰·凯茨纳
帕克维尔h马里兰州
你会怎么回答
“John, you’re a hero, you’re a hero.”
我会说”好吧 也许你是对的”
I say, “okay you’re probably right.”
铁路部门主管h现年96岁
我不知道还能说什么
I don’t know what else to say.
我不是那些传统意义上英雄
I wasn’t one of them hero heroes,
那些人完成了他们的使命
the guys that finished their tour
然后继续下一趟征途
and signed up for another one.
我不是那种英雄
I wasn’t them kinda heroes.
我希望人们能清楚地了解这段故事
I want it clearly known,
我并不宣称自己是什么英雄
I do not profess myself to be a hero.
我就是一个飞行员
I was the pilot.
普希金·亚历山大
列克星敦市h肯塔基州
那些被葬在英国 德国和法国的英雄
The heroes are buried in england, Germany, and France.
那些最终没能回来的人
The boys that didn’t make it.
兽医h现年95岁
他们才是英雄
They’re the heroes.
我只是个普通的飞行员
I was just a normal pilot.
莫特·基梅尔
斯泰特科利奇h宾夕法尼亚州
从事家居装饰h现年94岁
这叫做”地毯式轰炸”
This is called “pattern bombing.”
没有冒犯之意 但你们已经不再年轻
Well, no offense but you guys aren’t getting any younger.
为什么你认为
Why do you think it’s important
让人们了解你们曾做了什么如此重要
that people know what you guys did?
首先
Well, for one thing,
我们不想让历史重演
we don’t want it to happen again.
无论是真的还是虚构
In fact or in fancy,
我们都不想让这种事情再次发生在
we just don’t want it to happen again,
献给我亲爱的战友
我孙子 孙女和他们的爱人身上
for my grandson, my granddaughters and their husbands.
我不想看到他们再去经历我们的过去
I don’t wanna see them have to face what we did.
此片献给摄像师哈罗德·坦南鲍姆 以及28位为第八空军献出生命的英雄们
我很明确地告诉大家
I cannot say it much more eloquently.
这是一份极其危险的工作
It was a hazardous profession.
处在那样一个高度 还有
Okay, up at altitude, and of course,
被炮弹袭击的可能 你必须要承受这一切
bombs away and all, and you got this on.
我认为恐惧是最需要解决的问题
I think fear more than anything,
你会出汗
you’d perspire and sweat.
你得戴上这个
And you got this on.
面罩可能会结冰 你要深吸一口气
Ice would form and you’d take a deep breath,
然后敲掉氧气面罩上的冰
and break the ice out of the oxygen mask,
再重新戴上
and then put it back on.