我不得不换了一双干净的袜子
I had to put on a clean pair of socks.
我认为换袜子可能就是我被打下来的原因
That might have been the reason I was shot down.
信不信由你
You either believe this or not,
在执行第十或十二个任务的时候
but somewhere’s around the 10th or 12th mission,
我和其他伙伴一样
I got to a point and I know some of the other fellas
开始得意起来
reached the same thing, that they were feeling blasé.
因为他们过去没打中我们
They didn’t get us up to here.
今后也不会打中我们
They ain’t gonna get us here on.
我是有些迷信
I was somewhat superstitious.
并虔诚地认为
I always felt god would bring me home,
终将有一天上帝会带我回家
and I mean that sincerely.
但我不确定我能不能完好无损的回家
However, I wasn’t sure if it would be in one piece.
我连着飞了五天 执行了五个任务
I flew five days in a row, five missions.
我记得在执行第四个或者第五个任务时
And I remember by the fourth or fifth one
你已经什么也不在乎了
you really didn’t care.
因为已经精疲力竭了
You were worn out.
只想逃离这一切
You wanted to get away from it.
我见过很多人在强压之下崩溃了
I saw a lot of them break under pressure.
他们回来告诉军医
Come back and told the flight surgeon,
“我不能再飞了”他们也真的飞不了了
“ll can’t fly anymore,” and they didn’t.
没有人指责他们或者嘲笑他们
Nobody pointed their finger at them and ridiculed them.
没有人
Nobody.
命如草芥
一架B-17飞机可以载着两吨♥炸♥药♥飞往一千英里外的目标
一个编队可以在一千英尺内向目标投下平均三分之一的炸♥药♥
若受到不利飞行条件的影响精准度将大幅降低
是啊 投弹飞行
Yes, the bomb run.
那是最糟糕的
That was the worst,
因为你必须保证一切平稳进行
’cause you had to keep everything steady.
如果你不是在执行投弹任务的话
If you weren’t on a bomb run
可以飞到另一边
you could slide over
让他们觉得无法打中你
once in a while and they’d think it’d miss ya.
但要是在执行投弹任务的话
But on a bomb run
你就只能坐以待毙
you just had to sit there and take it.
尽量地蜷缩起来
Try to shrivel up, I guess.
领航机决定一切
Well, the lead ship does it all.
你只要跟着他做就行
You just follow what he does.
领航机先行 接着是它两侧的飞机
The lead ship and then the two on each side
一架在上方 一架在下方
and one down here and one up here and around here.
我在领航机正上面飞行着
I was flying up right above the leader.
等待着他下一步动作
And when you’re watching him,
看见他的炸♥弹♥舱门打开了
and you see the bomb doors open,
就跟着打开炸♥弹♥舱门
then you open too,
接着你等着他投放炸♥弹♥
and then you wait for him to drop bombs,
当他投放后 你也投放
and when he drops bombs, then you drop.
我们不能改变我们飞行的高度
We can’t change our altitude,
也不能改变我们飞行的方向
and we can’t change our direction,
那个时候我们就是瓮中之鳖
and we’re what you call sitting ducks at that moment.
那是很危险的 因为在任何时候
It was rough, because any minute
你都可能被击中
you were going to get hit.
炸♥弹♥被投放下来
The bombs are dropped.
炸♥弹♥投放后 你听到的第一句话就是
Bombs away and the first thing you hear is,
“迅速撤离此地”
“let’s get the hell out of here.”
之后整个队伍会跟着领航机
Well, we’d make a sharp turn
来一个急转弯
and the group follows the lead.
过了一会儿 敌军的坦克就会到达战场
After a while, fighters tanks started coming in,
他们几乎百发百中
and they didn’t miss very often.
那些坦克在二三十英里之外
They’d be out 20, 30 miles,
直接对着你进行攻击
and they’d come rush straight at your level.
我们的机♥枪♥根本打不到他们
You couldn’t hit anything with those guns I had back there.
那时你眼睁睁的看着飞机飞走
By the time you saw a guy he was gone.
你看着他飞过来 接着又飞走了
I mean, you see one coming, he’s gone.
你没什么时间开枪打中他们
You don’t have much time to shoot at ’em.
要是能打中几发 算是幸运的了
If you get off a burst or two, you’re lucky.
他们会嗖地一下飞走了
They go zoop.
他会下降 低飞
He’ll drop off, he’ll fly down,
接着他会瞄准你
and then he’ll line up on you.
然后开火
And then he’ll peel off.
我们被打下来时副驾驶员伤得很重
The co-pilot was hit pretty hard when we were shot down,
一个20毫米的炮弹在他正上方爆♥炸♥了
a 20 millimeter shell popped
并且把他的一只眼睛炸了出来
right above his head and it knocked an eye out.
那时正值正午
So it was high noon.
Me109战斗机在猛烈地攻击我们
Me109 was back there blasting at us.
我听见副驾驶员说
And I heard the co-pilot, he said,
“天啊 四号♥机着火了
“Jesus Christ, number 4’s on fire.
跳出去”
Get out.”
当飞机直转而下的时候
When that thing is spinning and heading down,
你就像被黏在了椅子上
you are glued to your seat.
无法动弹
You couldn’t move if you wanted to.
幸运的话 你会看见两三个人跳伞
And you’re lucky if you see two or three guys bail out.
通常我们会数一下降落伞的数目
We would count the chutes and usually, if we start to look
如果我们看一架坠落的飞机太长时间
too long after a ship that was going down,
驾驶员就会说”好了 伙计们 走了”
the pilot would say, “okay, guys, off.”
我们不能花太长时间
We didn’t want to spend too much time looking
去看坠机的过程
at a plane going down when we had,
你要知道 敌军就在附近
you know, fighters in the area and so forth.
一些目睹了全程的机♥枪♥手
The gunners and the others that were watching all the time
会说”伙计 这架飞机我猜
would tell you, “boy, I don’t think
不会有人逃出来了 全军覆没了”
anybody got out of that one, nobody got out,”
有时候你会看见在飞机爆♥炸♥前
and then sometimes you’d see chutes
一些降落伞从飞机里飘出来
coming out of them before they blew up or anything.
如果你没有在三十秒内
And if you didn’t have your chute on,
穿好降落伞跳出来
and get out of there in less than 30 seconds,
你就死定了
you gone.
必死无疑
You’re gone.
我们十一个飞行员之中的七个
And seven out of eleven out of my crew
活着逃了出来
got out alive.
其中有一个 降落在地上的时候
And one of them, when he got on the ground,
他们用叉子把他捅死了
they pitchforked him to death.
简直惨无人道
How can you kill a human like that?
挽救之焰
在炸♥弹♥投放后h他们开始了长达五个小时的回家之路
飞机可能损坏严重h机内人员可能身负重伤
对飞机残骸和死亡人数的清点将在基地展开
当我们靠近田野时 就放出了火焰弹
As we approach the field, we set off flares.
红色火焰意味着你在机上受伤
Red flares means you have wounded aboard.
所有人都得让位 伤员优先
Everybody else gets out of the way and the wounded comes in first.
时至今日 我仍旧对此记忆犹新
To this day, I still see it when I think of it.
我哽咽无法呼吸
I choke up.
我控制不住 他们都是我的朋友
I can’t help it, they were friends of mine.
都是我的好朋友 这太令人心痛了
They were good friends and it hurt so bad.
尤其是 我们都觉得损失太多了
Especially, we all felt like what a waste.
我们做着这样的工作 生存的几率
With the job we had, the chance of dying
至少是50%
was at least 50 percent.
50%的存活率 50%的死亡率
Fifty percent chance of living, fifty percent chance of dying.
有人说 你的名字将被铭记
You know a guy said, “your name’s on it.”
是啊 也许会吧
Well, maybe it was.
但这令人提心吊胆
But it was scary,
而当我听到这些人说
and I get very irritated
“我一点也不害怕”
when I hear some of these guys say,
我深感愤怒
“I wasn’t scared one bit.”
他们大错特错了
They’re full of prunes.
我没有一次不害怕的
I was scared every time.
有一次我到一架飞机边上
I went out to a ship one time
他们那时正把一个伙计从机上抬下来
when they were taking a young fellow off,
于是我想着我可以去帮帮他们
and I thought I could help them.
那个被抬出来的伙计
The guy they were pulling out of the ship…
呼唤着他的母亲
He was calling for his mother.
同室操戈
战争将要结束时h轰炸小队摧毁了德国近360万所屋舍
据估计h有30万平民死亡h78万人受伤
750万德国平民无家可归
1944年末 同盟国决定
In about late 1944, the allies decided
不再进行定点轰炸
to do away with precision bombing.
我们转为地毯式轰炸
We went to pattern bombing.
不幸的是 这种战术杀害了很多无辜百姓
Unfortunately, killed a lot of people

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!