The greatest airplane ever built
最伟大的飞机
as far as I’m concerned.
它把我们带回来了35次
They brought us back 35 times.
有些情况危险到
Sometimes in condition
你想像不到要是驾驶其他飞机
that you would never even think of trying to fly an airplane…
你会怎样
Any other airplane.
这架飞机能够返航
That plane came back,
这架飞机能把我们都带回来
and that plane brought us back.
可以说 这就是一种契约
It was a marriage, I’ll tell ya.
“老比尔”号♥
“撒旦女爵”号♥
很多人都给自己的飞机命名
A lot of guys had named their own planes,
“乔利的好时光”号♥
它们有着各种奇怪的名字
and they had all kinds of kooky names.
“地狱机械舞”号♥
“长角牛”号♥
“醉风笛手”号♥
第八航♥空♥队的轰炸机组成员来自全美各地h几乎涵盖了每一个行业
最初的机组成员里有很多优秀画手
The original crews had a lot of good painters.
“希♥特♥勒♥小鬼”号♥
嘿h看我六亲不认的步伐
他们给很多飞机画了装饰画
And they had a lot of planes that were decorated
“元首的面孔”号♥
“海尔诺加尔”号♥
把自己的标识等都画在机身上
and had logos on them and so on.
“斯莱酋长二世”号♥
“老比尔”号♥
秘鲁艺术家亚伯托瓦加斯创造的贴画女郎形象
例如美丽 性感的
Vargas girls like petty girl…
瓦加斯女郎
Petty girls, vargas girls, sexy girls,
“绝望旅程”号♥
这儿并没有太多严肃的话题
there weren’t too many serious things.
我想是为了让大伙放松
I think to keep guys loose.
“孟菲斯美女”号♥
极致寒冷
不像现代客机hB-17没有经过加压和升温处理
在七千多米的高空h机组要忍♥受的温度等同于站在珠峰顶
在那样的温度下h10分钟内人就会被冻伤
天气好的话 温度会在零下20度
Well, on a warm day it would be 20 below.
有时候会到零下60度
It… sometimes it got 60 below.
我得经常摘下氧气面罩
And oftentimes, I had to take my oxygen mask
敲掉附在上面的冰
and crack the ice out of it,
确保它不会卡在管子里
and check if it would freeze into the tube.
执行任务时最艰难的部分之一
That was one of the worst parts of the mission,
就是寒冷
was the, uh, was the cold air.
你只有在抗击敌人或者侦察目标的时候
The only time you didn’t feel it is when you were
才不会感觉到这种寒冷
fighting fighters or going over the target.
在到达约9144米的高空之后
Oh, at 30,000 feet,
飞机每爬升300米
I think the temperature drops
温度就降低两摄氏度
2 degrees every 1,000.
在那样的海拔下 温度可低至零下四十度
It’d be about 40 below at that altitude.
在驾驶舱里 三号♥引擎
In the cockpit, a little bit of heat came off
会散发出一点热气
a number three engine.
热气会进入我和另一名飞行员所在的驾驶舱
It came into the cockpit there where the pilot and I sat,
这点热气足够暖脚
and it was enough to kind of keep your feet warm
以及暖手
and your hands.
我们球形机炮手的机♥枪♥出了问题
Our ball turret gunner had a gun problem.
他的炮塔卡住了 他就摘下了手套修理它
His guns jammed and he took his gloves off to work on it.
结果他的两只手都被冻伤了
And both his hands got frostbitten
他一个月都不能和我们一起执行飞行任务
and he didn’t fly with us for a month
直到他的手痊愈
till his hands healed up.
有一次执行任务时 实在太冷了
Well, it was so cold on one mission
我们的副驾驶员因缺氧而昏了过去
our co-pilot suffered an anoxia situation where he passed out
他的手冻在树脂玻璃窗上
and his hand froze to the plexiglass window.
他不得不截掉了他的手指
And he had to amputate the fingers of his hand
因为当他企图自救的时候
because it was so cold that his hand, when he tried
他的手就已经冻在了树脂玻璃窗上
to help himself, froze to the plexiglass window.
友好盟友
1944年h严苛的定量配给以及频繁的轰炸袭击极大地打击了英军的士气
同年h两百多万美军在英国驻扎
这次友好的驻扎却也可能打击英军的士气
英国人对我们非常好
Well, the British treated us very nice.
有时甚至可以说十分盛情
In some cases, royally.
他们说这是友好的入驻
They call it the friendly invasion,
皇室访问
英国h巴辛堡
1943年5月26日
因为他对我们大开门户
’cause we flat invaded that country.
英国是一个小国家
England’s a small country, and we had it
国王乔治六世和女王伊丽莎白二世
我们让这个小国遍布美军
absolutely covered up with American soldiers.
他们却容忍♥了我们
And they tolerated us.
我那时还单身
I was single then.
我可以到处跑 做我想做的事情
I could run around, do whatever I wanted.
但是我完全没觉得
But I didn’t feel uncomfortable
跟英国人相处有什么不舒服
with the British people at all.
尤其是当我理解了他们的语言之后
Once I got to be able to understand the language,
因为那里的英语
because that english language
跟我们的英语有一点不同
was a little different than ours.
英国人真的很友好
Very good people.
你们要知道 在战争最开始
As you know, at the beginning of the war,
他们并不怎么喜欢来这边的美♥国♥佬♥
they weren’t too enamored by the yanks coming over.
他们说我们挣得太多
They said we were overpaid,
纵欲过度 甚至根本不该出现在这里
oversexed and over here.
我还记得那些话
I remember that.
炮林弹雨
第八空军近三分之一的损失是由一种叫做高射炮的高爆破力导弹造成的
一百多万德军h配备着四万门大炮h正等待着这些编队抵达欧洲上空
这些大炮可以精准地打中上空六英里的目标
高射炮是德国制♥造♥的88毫米的炮弹
Flak is German 88-millimeter Cannon shells.
它负责把飞机打下来
Flak was responsible for more planes being shot down
而不是去攻击敌军战士
than enemy fighters.
高射炮发射的炮弹爆♥炸♥后
And when you see Flak, black puffs of smoke…
你会看到阵阵黑烟
That’s after the shell, of course, has exploded.
炮弹爆♥炸♥后
And it explodes, hypothetically,
能炸成200片
into 200 pieces.
威力极大
And it’s powerful.
你不知道高射炮发出的炮弹会从哪打来
You don’t know where the Flak is coming from.
你不知道它下一个打中的是不是你
You don’t know if the next burst is gonna hit you or not.
你也不知道下一个炮弹会出现在何处
You never know where the next one is gonna be
在那样的情况下 你会很恐惧
in a case like that, and that’s what scares you.
这看着就像一场大雷雨
Well, it just looked like a big thunderstorm, so to speak.
情况就是这样
That’s what it amounted to.
但是你必须继续飞行
But you had to keep on flying.
你没被打中是上帝的庇护
God was on your side when you didn’t get hit.
高射炮相当灵活
The Flak would vary so much.
德国人的雷达非常厉害
The Germans had pretty good radar.
他们可以判断出你的高度 你飞行的速度
They could judge your altitude, your speed,
以及你飞行的方向
and your direction.
我最糟的一次经历是在德国飞过一座碉堡
I think the worst that I ever had over a castle, Germany,
我永远都忘不了
I’ll never forget that one.
炮弹以160英里的时速朝我的脸飞过来
It blew my windshield out,
炸飞了我的挡风玻璃
and come into my face at 160 miles an hour.
你看着炮弹呼啸而过
You look at that Flak out there
认定自己难逃此劫
and you swear you’re not gonna get through it.
炮弹爆♥炸♥散发的滚滚黑烟
The sky’s almost black with these things
几乎把天空都熏成了黑色
busting all over the place.
神奇的是我们竟然活了下来
It’s amazing we did make it through as much as we did.
祸福有命
我们那时养了只狗
Well, we had a dog and it looked
与其说是狗 不如说更像只猪
more like a pig than a dog,
但是它是我们的吉祥物
but it was our mascot.
我们营房♥中♥央♥有一个炉子
We had a stove in the middle of the barracks
我们经常在上面做三明治之类的东西
and we used to make sandwiches on it and so forth.
如果狗在附近的话
If the dog was around
我们会把我们剩下的食物喂给它吃
we’d feed him whatever we had left over.
我们回来之前它会在营房♥里逛来逛去
He hung around the barracks until we got back.
我们不知道它有没有名字
I don’t know if he had a name or not.
那是一只忠诚的小家伙
It was a faithful little dog.
它有一个相当大的鼻子
But had a real wide nose.
我变得迷信
Oh, you get superstitious.
我记得我被打下来的那一天
I remember I had to put on a clean pair of socks
我换了一双干净的袜子
the day I was shot down.
之前我一直穿着同一双袜子
I’d been wearing the same pair of socks.
显然我认为是小狗叼走了我的一只袜子
Evidently, I think the pup got one of my socks
用它来磨牙 还把它藏了起来
and was chewing on it and then hid it
那个早上我找不到它了
and I couldn’t find it that morning.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!