I don’t think we would have appreciated
新成员的加入
one new man joining us.
我们清楚彼此的能力
We knew what each man was capable of doing.
每个人都会做好自己的本职工作
Each man did his job good.
没有人抱怨
And no one complained.
我们就是空中的一家人
We were family in the air.
互相信任彼此 每个人都各司其职
You absolutely had to be, we all had our duties.
盼望着能一直在一起
We just wanted to stay together.
毕竟我们是一起执行了
And we flew 25 missions as a crew,
25次任务的一个机组
all of us together.
当时第八航♥空♥队服役期包括25次作战任务
我们就像是一家人
You’re a family.
确切地说 我们就是一家人
Exactly, you have to be.
我记得有次任务
However, I can remember one mission
我们的随机工程师喝得烂醉
when our flight engineer came out smashed.
我爬到他身边
And I climbed all over him.
问他”你是怎么回事”
I said, “what is wrong with you?
“我们是要彼此依靠的”
We depend on one another.”
军官们往往对军容风纪过分注意
There was a lot of spit and Polish by the officers
这在我们那里是不存在的
and that didn’t happen.
如你所说 我们是情同手足的兄弟
Like you say, we’re a family of brothers.
我们没时间管那些琐事
And we didn’t have time for all that stuff.
我们不需要敬礼致意
But there’s no saluting and…
也不说”是 长官””不 长官”这些客套话
And “yes, sir,” “no, sir,” all that.
每个人都个性鲜明
Each guy was his own guy.
当然 每个人会做好自己的工作
Well, of course, each man would do his job,
而且我们也都知道
and we all knew exactly
每个人的行程和安排
who was going to do what, so to speak.
所以说我们是一个很棒的团队
So I knew I had a good crew.
我们相处得也很愉快
And, uh, we just got along beautifully.
超棒机械师
地勤组长是基地唯一可以批准一架飞机飞行的人
还配有一个单独的小组负责装卸炸♥弹♥和武器
每架B-17通常由4名机械师和1名地勤组长照管
完成任务回来后 我们的地勤组长
We had a crew chief that took care of that plane
负责照顾这架飞机
after we got it back off a mission.
我们三人围绕着飞机
So the three of us walked that plane,
查看所有的部件
looked at everything on the ground,
问他我们能想到的所有问题
asked him all the questions we could think of.
假如有任何小问题
If there was any little thing
是我们认为应该特别注意的
that we thought we should pay particular attention to,
就会让他来告诉我们
for him to tell us.
你不会永远只飞同一架飞机
You never flew the same plane all the time.
这就像你的车出了毛病
It’s just like your car having an ouchy
1990年创立的美国轮胎品牌h现被普利司通轮胎收♥购♥
你会把它送到风驰通
and you take it in to firestone
或者其他地方修理
or somewhere to get fixed.
我们的机械师们会整夜工作
They’d work overnight, all night long,
努力修补好我们的飞机
trying to patch planes.
你一到达地面
As soon as you got in,
他们就会开始修复任何损坏
they would take care of any damage.
他们会进入飞机 查看引擎
They would get in the plane and check the engines out,
启动引擎并做检查
start “em up and check ’em out.
他们还会清理干净所有东西
And they would clean up everything.
很厉害的机械师们
Tremendous workers.
他们非常优秀
They were… they were so good.
完好的B-17轰炸机共有四个引擎
我们驾驶着只剩两个引擎的B-17回来
We came back in b-17s with two engines,
飞机尾翼被射穿到几乎碎裂
with the tail fin shot up and busted away…
机身布满各种各样的弹孔
With all kinds of holes in the plane.
结果两天后 那架飞机又能执行任务了
And in two days, that plane was flying missions again.
我们机组里还有一个装弹手
We had an armorer on our crew,
多数情况下 我们会看到他在装弹
and he’d be there when they were,
也不总是这样
most cases, not all cases,
有时在我们到达前
sometimes the plane would be loaded
炸♥弹♥就已经装好
before we ever got there.
装弹手负责所有炸♥弹♥装卸工作
The armor gunners took care of all of that.
他们用大运输车把炸♥弹♥运过来
They bring ’em out on big carriers
这是项危险的工作
and, uh, it was a dangerous job.
我们不用装载炸♥弹♥
We did not load the bombs.
但我们要出来检查
No, but we did come out and check.
炸♥弹♥都装有触发引信
They were all fused.
他们会用保险钢绳 一头卡住弹头引信
And they had fusing wires stuck to the propeller.
另一头则连接到炸♥弹♥在弹仓内
These fusing wires were hooked on the shackles
所挂载的锁扣上
that the bombs are hung on.
当炸♥弹♥被投出时 保险钢绳会被拉开
And when they left the plane, it would pull the wire out.
炸♥弹♥就被激活了
Now the bomb is alive.
如果你看过电影里的场景
If you’ve seen movies and you hear bombs,
炸♥弹♥”咻”地下坠 那是引信在旋转而出
“shhh,” going down, that’s this fuse spinning out.
现在炸♥弹♥是激活状态 一旦接触目标
Now the bomb is live and once it hit,
就会立即起爆
of course, it detonates.
曾经有两次任务 我不得不回到炸♥弹♥仓
We had two missions where I had to go back in the bomb bay
并把开口销插回去
and put the cotter pins back in
这是有点冒险的
and that is a little hairy.
因为着陆过程中
Why? Cause when you landed,
炸♥弹♥一直处于蓄势待发的状态
if you didn’t, the bombs were armed.
如果你不彻底将它关闭
And if you had trouble,
一旦有任何闪失 你就会一命归西
of course, you’d detonate.
秀丽风景
从英国飞到轰炸区可能要花5小时
加上编队时间和往返时间hB-17机群可能会滞空长达14小时
但这些命令常常被无视
军方禁止机组成员用空置对讲机闲聊
我们无所不谈
Well, we talked about just about everything.
关于各自的家庭 还有其他的事
Our families, et cetera…
无所谓聊的什么
It didn’t matter what it was.
我们彼此间紧密的联♥系♥
We kept pretty much a running conversation between everybody.
使任务完成的稍微容易些
It made the mission go a little easier.
一离开英国海岸 每个人做的第一件事
First thing you did, as soon as we cleared the coast of england,
就是测试他们的机♥枪♥
everybody would test their guns.
说说我自己吧
Well, of course, I can only speak for myself,
进入敌方领空的时候
but when you’re in hostile territory,
我在上炮塔处
and I was in a top turret,
所以我有360度环视视角
so all of my vision was 360,
和90度垂直方向的视角
ninety degrees this way, you know.
机翼尾部会形成尾迹云
Contrails formed at the tail of the ship.
飞机从云层穿行而过
The moisture in the air and the ship flying through it
就形成了尾迹云
made the contrails,
大多数时候尾迹云是无法形成的
and a lot of times you wouldn’t have them
这取决于空气的湿度
because it depends on the amount of moisture in the air.
再没见过比那更美的景象了
Couldn’t see a prettier sight than that.
会让人着迷 沉醉其中
Kind of spellbound, you know, spellbound.
真是一幅美丽的画卷啊
A beautiful sight.
假如站在德国的地面向上看
If you was watching on the ground over in Germany,
大概要花上30分钟
they tell me it took about 30 minutes
景象才会全部消失
for “em all to come over.
如果说是在天气晴朗的时候
They said on a clear day
德国人能在80千米开外看到尾迹云
that the Germans could see us coming 50 miles out,
从而发现我们
from the contrails.
可惜 这可不是好事
And, unfortunately, when that happened, that wasn’t too good
他们会因此而做好应战准备
because they were ready for us.
炫酷飞机
二战初始h只有几百架B-17战机服役
到1945年h已经有12731架服役战机了
近5千架在欧洲战场上坠毁
1938年 我在智利
In 1938, I was down in Chile,
1938年h美国派六架B-17进行跨洲巡飞 回程途经智利等地
他们在那里有一场亲善巡回飞行
and they flew a goodwill tour down there.
我记得和父亲一起出去
I remember going out with my father
看着那些大家伙
and seeing these big planes.
我对父亲说 有一天我也会驾驶一架
And I said to my father someday I’m gonna fly in one of those.
知之甚少啊
Little did I know.
B-17不仅是架漂亮的战机
The b-17 was not only a beautiful ship,
驾驶它的感觉更是棒极了
but it flew like a dream.
1937年派珀飞机公♥司♥设计的一架黄色双座轻型飞机
就像是高配版的派珀小飞机
It flew like a overgrown Piper cub.
它飞得平稳又流畅
It flew nice and smooth.
动作还很优雅
Beautiful.
尽管它遭受了很多磨难
Took a lot of punishment.
在我看来 它是史上被造出的