我只想踢他
whenever I played against his local team.
加里内维尔在技术上的天赋
Gary Neville was nowhere near as talented technically
远不如其他男生
as the other boys.
他不会介意我这么说的
And he won’t mind me saying that.
我总是觉得我必须
I always felt as though I had to work…
一直付出更多努力
extra all the time.
生活和饮食比别人好
And just live and eat better than anybody else.
我现在已经有点放弃了…
I’ve give up on it a little bit now…
加里内维尔我在16岁离开学校时下了一个决定
Gary Neville I made a conscious decision at 16 when I left school,
我不能再继续和学校里的朋友
that I couldn’t continue to see the friends
见面了
that had been friends at school,
因为我清楚地知道我会做16至18岁年轻人
because I knew full well I’d get drawn into doing things
会做的事,而我不能这样做
that 16 to 18 year old lads did, and I couldn’t do it.
我不能这样做我不能有任何遗憾
I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t have any regrets.
他想让自己成为一名球员…
And he wanted to make himself a player…
我没有让他成为球员他让自己成为了球员
I didn’t make him a player, he made himself a player.
埃里克·哈里森对我影响很大
Eric Harrison was a massive influence on me.
他正是我所需要的人
He was just what I needed.
绝对是…
Took absolutely…
没有乱说…
no…, no…
我记得有一天我老婆看着我
I remember my wife watching me one day,
因为我们要去…
because we were going to…
她想在一次训练后去特拉福德中心
she wanted to go to the Trafford Centre after a training session.
我上了车,她坐在车里,她说
And I got in the car, and she was sat in the car, she said,
“你是个耻辱”
‘you’re a disgrace.’
我说:“你是什么意思?”
I said, ‘what do you mean?’
她说:“你不会对你的孩子这样做吧?”
She said, ‘you wouldn’t do that to your children would you?’
哈里森让他们接地气
Eric has grounded them people,
(罗伯特·萨维奇 前曼联青训球员)
他向球员灌输道德观并正确地待人接物
and he’s put into them morals and treat people right,
我认为,如果你看贝克汉姆
and I think that, you know, if you’re looking at Becks…
大概是全球最出名的运动明星
probably one of the biggest sports stars in the world,
他仍然脚踏实地
you know, and he’s still grounded.
我们可以为此感谢哈里森
You know we can thank Eric for that.
你必须有这些要求才能在外面取得成功
You’ve got to make those demands to be successful out there.
(拉斐尔·布克 前曼联青训球员)
而那些能够应付这些要求的人就上场了
And those who could cope with those demands played,
没能应付的人就…
those who didn’t…
这就是足球
And that’s football.
我最失望的是拉斐尔·布克
The one I was most disappointed in was Raphael Burke.
极具天赋的球员
Supremely talented player,
我希望他能有这种正确的态度
I wish he had have had that right attitude
因为他本可以成为一线球员
because he would have been a first team player.
对我来说,我犯了这个错误
For me I made that fall.
我很有天赋但我没有像其他人那样奉献
I was talented but I didn’t dedicate like these guys.
当人们说:“贝克汉姆以前是怎样的?”或者“吉格斯是怎样的?”
When people say, ‘oh what was Becks like?’ Or, ‘what was Giggs like?’
我说的第一件事是他们牺牲了
I say, well the first thing is they sacrificed.
如果你想有一丝机会成为他们那样的人
If you’re going to even have a tiny chance of being like them,
如果你不练习,或者你不牺牲…
if you don’t practice, or you don’t sacrifice…
你就没有机会了
you haven’t got a chance.
我让加里成为曼联92黄金一代的队长
I made Gary my youth team captain of the Class of ’92.
他是一位出色的队长
And he was a fantastic captain.
加里是领导者
Gary was the leader
因为如果你看到加里在球场上做一些不同的事情
because if you saw Gary doing something different on the pitch,
在训练结束后
after training,
这让我想到
you know, it had me thinking,
如果他这样做了,我也需要做一些事情
well if he’s doing it, I need to be doing something.
你知道他是球队的队长
You know he was the captain of the team.
所以他总是承担起照顾大家的重任
So he always took on the mantel of looking after everyone.
我认为他是胶水把这班男孩团结在一起
I thought he was the glue that held them lads together.
我不能…加里叔叔是…
I can’t… Uncle Gary is…
他为我们做所有事情
he does everything for us and…
就是这样
just the way it is.
我们偶尔也会打电♥话♥给对方
Well we phone each other now and again,
而我会说…
and I just go like that…
你讲完了吗?
Have you finished yet?
哦,亲爱的,他为英格兰说话
Oh dear me, he talks for England he does, you know,
你知道,菲尔也不错
and Phil’s not bad as well.
加里和菲尔就像互相扔球一样
Gaz and Phil would be like throwing balls up at each other.
他们就像,在原地慢跑
They’d be like, you know, jogging on the spot.
各位,放松,还有一个小时就要开球了放松
Lads, relax, an hour to go kick off yet, relax.
如果你很悠闲,那么你就坐在那里
If you’re laid back then you’re just sat there just…
看着他们,只说,你在做什么?
looking at them, and just, what you doing?
你在做什么?
What are you doing?
而他们可能也在做同样的事情
And they were probably doing the same.
你知道你可能只是想像他们在互相交谈
You know you probably just imagine them speaking to each other,
“菲尔,你看到这些了吗?
‘Phil have you seen these?
这是足总杯决赛
It’s cup final.
看看他们
Look at them.
他们甚至没有准备好
They’re not even prepared right.
我们已经准备好了
We’re prepared.
我们准备好了…你准备好了吗?
We’re prep… Are you prepared?
我准备好了是的好的
I’m prepared. Yeah. Right.
好吧,我们准备好了
Well we’re prepared.
不要在意这些”
Never mind these.’
你可以想像
You know you can just imagine it,
这就是他们从小到大的样子
that’s what they were like from an early age,
专注于工作,而且…
they were just all about the focus and…
很成功
it worked.
(1992年5月15日 青年足总杯决赛 曼联 vs 水晶宫)
我在青年杯中有过两次非常糟糕的经历
I’d had two really bad experiences in the Youth Cup.
我作为学生参加比赛在半决赛中被击败
I played as a school boy we got beat in the semi final.
作为第一年的学徒球员
Played as a First Year
我在半决赛中被淘汰了
Apprentice, and got knocked out in the semi final.
所以我很想赢得比赛,十分渴望
So I was desperate to win it, absolutely desperate,
尽管我在一线队打过几场比赛
even though I’d played a few games in the first team.
足球很好,我觉得踢得很开心
The football was good, I think it was just so enjoyable to play,
因为我们差不多每星期都是四、五、六比零获胜
in that we’d be winning four, five, six nil most weeks.
我记得的一件事是巴特的凌空抽射
One of the things that I remember is Butty’s overhead kick, you know…
虽然没有进球,但他非常兴奋
Didn’t go in but he got so excited about it.
这支球队只有一个结果,那就是…
There was only going to be one result for this team, it was just…
你知道的
you just knew.
那是一场非常艰难的比赛
但我的意思是
but I mean,
那是我一生中最大的安慰
that was the biggest relief I’ve ever had in my life,
从球场上下来,成为青年杯的赢家
to come off that field winners of the Youth Cup,
你知道,看到他们举起青年杯
you know, and see them lifting the Youth Cup.
这真是很震撼
It was sensational.
在曼联一线队中
How many of these faces
我们能看到多少这样的面孔呢
will we ever see in a Manchester United first team.
如果他们没有等那么久的话
If they hadn’t waited such a long time I think,
我想上次是巴斯比的孩子夺冠
I think it was the Busby Babes who won it last time I think.
去了更衣室,教练在那里
Went in the changing rooms and the manager was there,
球员们都在那里,一线队的球员们也在
the players were there, the first team players were there.
所有工作人员都在那里
All the staff was there.
董事们都在那里
Directors were there.
场面盛大
It was massive.
盛况空前
It was huge.
我把那面奖牌和其他所有奖牌放在一起
And I put that medal alongside every other medal that I’ve made,
我不会把它放得更高我也不会把它放得更低
I wouldn’t put it any higher, I wouldn’t put it any lower,
它与我所赢得的每一面奖牌同样重要
it’s on par with every single medal that I’ve ever won
因为在当时16、17、18岁的时候
because at the time, at 16, 17, 18
这是你能赢得的最大奖牌
it’s the biggest medal you can win.
我们有很好团队精神
We had a great team spirit.
一群优秀的球员
Great bunch of lads.
优秀的教练
Great coaches.
我们已经很久没有赢过而且是在老特拉福德捧杯
We hadn’t won it for a long time, and we lifted the cup at Old Trafford,
所以我们真的不能奢求更多
so we couldn’t wish for much more really.
这是一项成就但仅仅赢得一个奖杯是远远不够的
It was an achievement but it’s never enough to just win one trophy.
好吧,明年…
Ok next year…
我们要再做一次
we’re going to do it again.
我职业生涯中最美好的时光是学徒时期
Best time of my career was my apprenticeship.