(1999年5月26日)
欢迎来到巴塞罗那
Welcome to Barcelona.
今晚在诺坎普球场有将近10万人
Almost 100,000 people here in the Nou Camp this evening.
气氛真的非比寻常
It really is an extraordinary atmosphere.
但你现在会想知道
But you do wonder is fate now
老天是否对曼联的命运伸出了援手
taking a hand in Manchester United’s destiny.
他们用自己的勇气和冒险精神
They have made their own luck with their boldness
创造了运气
and their adventure.
他们也有足够的运气
But they have had just enough luck
站在历史边缘
to stand here on the brink of history.
这是千载难逢的机会
It’s the chance of a lifetime.
一个拿到三冠王的机会
A treble chance.
没有任何英格兰球队曾经有过这样的机会
The likes of which no English team has had before,
也可能再也得不到如此机会
or may ever get again.
1992年并不是我可以毫无顾忌地回顾的一年
1992 is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure.
一条曼彻斯特最繁忙的购物街突然变成人间炼狱
One of Manchester’s busiest shopping streets, suddenly a living hell.
一枚炸♥弹♥被放在肯德尔百货公♥司♥后面的灌木丛中
A bomb planted in bushes behind Kendall’s department store
办公室职员被飞溅的玻璃割伤
showered office workers with flying glass.
粉碎抗♥议♥者
Smash the protestor,
粉碎保守党
and smash the Tories
最后到了这个尽头…
and in the end to the end of this…
我只想说一句话,很高兴能回来
I’ve only got one thing to say, it’s nice to be back.
今晚很清楚,这不再是一个是否题
It is clear tonight that it is no longer a matter of whether,
而是何时会发生皇室离婚的问题了
but when there is a Royal divorce.
英格兰队被击溃的球员们回到酒店
England’s shattered players arrived back at the hotel.
几个小时后
A few hours later
我们再次看到英格兰足球的黑暗面
we once again saw the dark face of English football.
这已经变成了可怕的一年
It has turned out to be an Annus Horribilis.
这种规模的球会,人们期望在平台上在舞台上
A club of this size, one would expect at the platform, the stage,
(亚历克斯弗格森,1986年11月)
一切都以做得非常出色为目标
everything is geared to doing very very well.
出色意味着赢得联赛冠军
And that very very well means winning the league.
我是曼联的支持者
I was a Man United supporter,
当你担任那里的教练时感觉是很特别的
and it’s extra special when you get the coaching job there.
当弗格森爵士接手时
When Sir Alex took over,
每个人都意识到他想要一个充满活力的青年系统
everybody realised that he wanted a vibrant youth system.
他直接对我说就像一向的弗格森爵士作风
And he said to me straight out, as typically Sir Alex does,
(埃里克·哈里森,曼联青年军教练)
他说我对青年军的体系并不完全满意
he says I’m not entirely satisfied with the youth system, you know.
他只来了…
He’d only been there…
几个星期,或者一个月
probably a few weeks, or a month,
我说:“你知道吗?
and I said, ‘well you know,
我们已经有诺曼·怀特赛德、马克休斯
we’ve had Norman Wise right through, Mark Hughes through.’
他用那双坚定的眼睛看着我
And he looked at me with those steely eyes
说道:“那还不够”
and he said, ‘that’s not enough.’
我说:“你知道
I said, ‘do you know
曼城有多少本地球探
how many local scouts Manchester City have got,
而曼联又有多少?”
and how many Manchester United have got?’
当我告诉他时
When I told him,
他吓了一跳,他绝对被吓了一跳
he was staggered, he was absolutely staggered.
他说:“这事交给我吧”而在…
He said, “leave that to me.” And within…
我并不夸张,在一个月内
And I’m not exaggerating, within a month
他就把曼联的球探系统扩大了两倍
he had trebled the scouting system at Manchester United a€“
那就是我们开始得到球员的时候
and that’s when we started to get the players.
尼基·巴特,一个绝对的勇士
Nicky Butt, what an absolute warrior.
尼基·巴特,一个绝对的勇士
Nicky Butt, what an absolute warrior.
尼基·巴特是一个多么伟大的球员
What a great player Nicky Butt was.
另一位是布莱恩·罗布森
Another Brian Robson.
毋庸置疑
Without question.
我想他给自己起了个绰号♥叫“坚果巴特”
I think he nicknamed himself One Nut Butt.
他说他经常用头撞人,把他们撞倒
He used to just head butt people and knock them out he said.
我想大伙们在给巴特起绰号♥时
I think the lads were always a bit nervous
总是有点紧张
about giving Butty a nickname,
他将会有什么反应,他就像他会挖苦你
how he’s going to react, he was like, he’d just give you a dig.
你就是别惹他
You just don’t mess with him.
斯科尔斯就像小丑一样,总是能逃脱
Scholsey was like the joker that got away with it all the time.
我们给他起了个绰号♥叫“幽灵”
We kind of nickname him the ghost.
你知道他在某个时候就会消失
You know he’d just disappear at some point.
我知道斯科尔斯是怎样的人他是个小流氓
I know what Scholsey was like, he was a little rascal.
如果有人的内♥裤♥不见了
And if somebody’s underpants were missing,
我知道那是谁拿的 保罗斯科尔斯
I knew who it’d be. Paul Scholes.
你有一个比大多数人都小的孩子
You’ve got a kid who is smaller than most.
他有哮喘
He’s got asthma.
他不是最快的,但…
He’s not the quickest, but…
却是我遇过最好的球员
best player I’ve ever played with.
把这个问题解决好
Work that out.
当我第一次看到吉格斯时他只是个非常瘦小的孩子
When I first saw Gigsey, I just saw this really skinny kid.
他身上没有任何闪光点
There’s no flashness to him.
他可能是我见过最朴实的超级球星
He’s probably the most down to earth super star I’ve ever met.
前一分钟,他可以是世界上最严肃的人
One minute he can be the most serious man in the world,
他可以用眼睛盯着某人
where he can be eye balling somebody and really…
真的深深地盯着某人
deep eye stare at somebody.
然后下一分钟
And then next minute
他可以在桌子上跳舞,扮猫王,所以…
he can be dancing on the table doing Elvis, so…
贝克汉姆早期给我的印象是
The thing that struck me early on about Becks was…
他的外表
his appearance.
他太帅了,你会认为他不可能是足球员
You thought, he’s too pretty to be a football player.
那是他的绰号♥,漂亮男孩
That was his nickname, Pretty Boy.
你只会觉得他是闪闪发光的英国佬
You just think he’s a flash cockney.
我过去常叫他“糖衣”
I used to call him treacle.
好了,糖衣炸♥弹♥
Alright treacle.
你知道…
You know and just…
那是他的绰号♥
that was his nickname.
我们仍然都认识他,我仍然看到他开着他的红色Escort Mexico
We still all know him, I still see him in his red Escort Mexico.
我就是这么看的
That’s how I look at it.
忙碌的兄弟,忙碌一号♥和二号♥
Busy brothers, busy one and two.
紧张的内维尔兄弟
Nervous Neville’s.
紧张的内维尔兄弟,是的
Nervous Neville’s yeah.
他有时会在球上有点紧张不安
He was a bit jittery on the ball at times.
加里和菲尔也是如此
Gary and Phil could be.
但并不总是如此
Not always though.
我想弗雷迪·弗林托夫在接受采访时曾说过
I think Freddie Flintoff on interviews has said that
他板球生涯中最好的一天是菲尔内维尔退役的时候
the best day of his cricket career was when Phil Neville retired,
因为那时他成为兰开夏郡最好的全能选手
because he then became the best all rounder in Lancashire.
他很健谈,总是很开心
He’s just bubbly, he’s always happy.
他和加里的另一个区别
Another… difference from him and Gaz.
加里是个怪人,不是吗?
Gary was the geek wasn’t he?
他总是在整理东西
He was always sorting things out
每个人都开始叫他忙,然后…
and everyone just started calling him busy and then…
实际上很“忙”,我们总是叫他
Actually busy…, we always used to call him.
嗡嗡
Buzzzz.
大家…他们经常从我身边走过“嗡嗡”作响
Everybody… the lads used to walk past me going ‘buzz’.
(加里内维尔)
我在伯里长大
I grew up in Bury.
住在公园对面的排屋
Lived in a terraced house opposite a park.
我对小时候的记忆
All I remember about being a kid
就是踢足球,在板球俱乐部打板球
is playing football, playing cricket at the cricket club.
还有就是我父亲在我小时候常带我去看曼联
And massively about my dad taking me to United as a kid.
我还记得第一次去的时候我完全被吸引了
I always remember the first time I went and I was absolutely mesmerised.
你总是认为明年将是我们的一年
You always thought next year will be our year.
我们将赢得联赛
We’ll win the league.
我们将赢得联赛
We’ll win the league.
我们从未赢过
We never did.
我只是想当足球员
All I ever wanted to be was a football player.
而我唯一想去的球会就是曼联
And the only club I ever wanted to play at was United.
内维尔是其中一个小伙子
And Gary was one of them lads that…
当你认识他时,你会爱死他 他是个很好的人
when you know him, you love him to death, he’s a great lad,
每个人都喜欢他
everyone likes him.
而当你不认识他的时候
And when you don’t know him
他就会有这样的形象,不是一个好人
he has this persona of not being a nice person.
我年轻时无法忍♥受他的胆量
I couldn’t stand his guts when I was younger,
每当我和他所在的球队比赛时
and all I wanted to do was kick him