也不完全知道自己到底在想什么吧
you wouldn’t have known your own mind.
他能活在真理中,我可没那特权
He’s lived in the truth. I didn’t have that privilege.
你说生命可贵 是指其他人的 还是只有你的?
You say life is precious. Other people’s lives or just your own?
所有生命都是上帝所赐,祂随时可取回
All life is a gift of the Lord and his to take away.
亨利先生 跟你生命无关就很容易说出口吧
Easy to say, Mr Henry, when it’s not your life.
说到你亲生儿子就很难了
Harder to say when it’s your own son.
– 手♥淫♥是罪吗?亨利先生 – 是的
– Is masturbation a sin? – Yes.
– 堕胎?同性恋呢? – 是的
– And abortion? Homosexuality? – Yes.
这些也教亚当了吗?
Is this what Adam’s been taught to believe?
那就是他所知的真理
That is what he knows to be true.
谢谢你,亨利先生
Thank you, Mr Henry.
他说 “我就是自己”
He said, “I’m my own man.”
“我脱离父母”
“I’m separate from my parents.”
“无论他们怎么想,最后决定在我”
“Whatever their ideas are, I’m deciding for myself.”
“我已准备赴死”
“I’m prepared to die.”
谢谢,格林太太
Thank you, Mrs Greene.
在同意治疗
There’s a crucial difference between the right
和拒绝接受治疗的
to assent to treatment
权利之间有一个重大的分歧
and the right to refuse life-saving treatment.
法官大人,法律很清楚
My Lady, the law is clear.
未满18岁就没自主♥权♥
He has no autonomy in the matter until he’s 18.
也就是说,他还未成年
Slice it as my learned friend may, he is not 18.
非常重要的是,毫无疑问
In so important a matter, there can be no sheltering
再过几个月,他就要
behind the couple of months that separate him
满18岁
from his 18th birthday.
亚当显然对
It’s clear that Adam has a full grasp
拒绝接受治疗的宗教原则
of the religious principles
有充分的了解
on which his refusal of treatment rests.
这是患者的基本权利,受法律保护
It is a patient’s basic right, protected by common law,
拒绝接受治疗
to refuse treatment.
我认为法官大人不该被引诱
I submit My Lady should not be tempted
到如此危险的境地
onto the dangerous ground of undermining
危害基本人♥权♥
so fundamental a human right
还有赋予的珍贵尊严
and the precious dignity it confers.
监于本案的独特性
Given the unique circumstances of this case,
我想听听亚当自己说他的想法
I have decided I would like to hear from Adam himself.
我要知道她到底清不清楚自己现在的
I need to know if he understands his situation
还有未来的状况
and what he confronts
如果我要否决医院的话
should I rule against the hospital.
我会在监护人陪同下 现在前往亚当的床边
I’ll go now to Adam’s bedside in the company of his guardian.
回来时会公开做出审判结果
I’ll give judgement in open court when I return,
可能会在晚上7点后
probably after 7pm.
全体起立
Court rise.
– 这很不寻常 – 很奇怪
– Unconventional. – Very eccentric.
– 但我们不知怎么办 – 会有用…
– But there’s nothing we can do. – Will it help…
截稿前不会有结果
She’s not working to our deadline.
没错,不可思议
Yeah, unbelievable.
我还不知道法官可以这样
I’ve never known a judge to do this.
我知道,她简直疯了
I know. She’s completely off the wall.
谁知道会怎样?
Who knows what will happen?
就在那里
It’s just down here.
– 嗨 – 嗨,玛丽娜
– Hi. – Hi, Marina.
– 堂娜,嗨 – 嗨
– Donna. Hi. – Hi.
– 嗨,艾咪 – 玛丽娜
– Hi, Emy. – Marina.
– 嗨,玛丽娜,你好 – 还好吗?你好
– Hi, Marina. Good to see you. – You OK? Nice to see you.
这是梅法官,尊贵人士 想探望小亚当
This is Mrs Justice Maye. Very high up. Here to see young Adam.
– 你好 – 你好
– Hello. – Pleased to meet you.
嗨
Hi.
法官大人,我去跟他说你来了
I’ll let him know you’re coming, My Lady.
他已下定决心,为了他的原则而活
He’s made up his mind, like living for his principles.
你该说的是去死
Dying, you mean.
太棒了,被我说中了
Brilliant. I was right.
法官会来,我就说嘛
The judge has come to see me. I knew it.
别人怎么称呼您?
What do they call you?
陛下?阁下? 还是至尊,无上之类的?
Your Highness? Your Excellency? Your Honourable something?
法庭上叫”法官大人”
In court it’s “My Lady”.
法官大人,太棒了
My Lady. Oh, that’s fantastic.
– 我可以这样叫你吗? – 我叫梅菲欧娜
– Am I allowed to call you that? – My name’s Fiona Maye.
不,我想叫您…
No, but I wanna call you…
我想叫您法官大人
I wanna call you My Lady, please.
先缓口气吧?
Do you want to catch your breath?
法官大人
My Lady.
我跟玛丽娜 还有她姐姐堂娜
You know, I told Marina, and Donna, the sister,
还有送餐的杰克 还有所有医务人员,说你会来
and Jake, the dinner guy, and all the doctors that you’d come.
他们都说”不会
And they all said, ‘No, no,
法官不会这样做”
judges don’t do that sort of thing.’
– 但我就知道 – 那被你说中了
– But I knew. – Well, there you go.
面纱后面的人都是小绵羊
Underneath their clothes, people are sheep.
所以你来是想说服我
So you’ve come to change my mind.
改变我
Straighten me out.
不是,亚当 我想知道怎样对你最好
No, Adam. I need to know what’s best for you.
求求你,女士,引我走上正义之路
Please, miss, set me on the path of righteousness.
我必须确定你知道自己在做什么
I have to be sure you know what you’re doing.
白血病是很严重的病
Leukaemia’s a very serious illness.
输血可以救你,但你拒绝了
Refusing a blood transfusion when it could save your life,
社会大众认为你是
some people think you’ve been unduly influenced
被你父母和长老掌控的
by your parents and the elders,
有些人认为你很聪明
and others think that you’re awfully clever
我们该让你继续这样
and we should just let you get on with it.
是这样吗?由你自己决定?
Should we? Let you do yourself in?
不管怎样我都要判
Somehow I’ve got to decide.
我觉得这是我的选择
I think it’s my choice.
恐怕法律不准
I’m afraid the law doesn’t agree.
法律是个屁
The law is an ass.
也对啦
So they say.
但我们得考虑一下现实
But let’s just consider the practicalities.
输了血
With a transfusion,
医生可以多用两种药来治疗
the consultant could add two drugs to your treatment
你就有机会快速痊愈
and you’d stand a good chance of a pretty quick recovery.
不输血你会死
Without a transfusion, you could die.
– 了解吗? – 是的
– You understand that? – Yeah.
如果这样,亚当?局部康复
But how about this, Adam? Partial recovery.
你可能会失明或伤及脑袋
You could lose your sight, suffer brain damage.
失去肾脏
Your kidneys could go.
这样是为了让上帝高兴吗?
Is that going to please God?
如果你不相信上帝
If you don’t believe in God,
就没权利讨论取悦祂
you’ve no right talking about what does or doesn’t please him.
我没说不信啊
I haven’t said I don’t believe.
我只是要你考虑清楚
I need to know you’ve thought this through.
失明或失智或都有
Blind or mentally disabled, or both.
你准备余生都这样吗?
For the rest of your life. Ready for that?
我不喜欢
I’d hate it.
我不喜欢
I’d hate it.
但我接受
But I’d accept it.
等一下
Wait.
打扰一下
Excuse me.
你仔细听这位女士的话
Now, you listen closely to this lady.
嘿,亚当,烤鸡喔
Hey, Adam. Roast chicken, man.
出去
Out.
去吧
Go away.
你有孩子吗,法官大人?
Do you have children, My Lady?
可惜,没有,我是希望…
No, sadly. I wish…
我常忙得不可开交
Always too busy.
法律完全填满我的生活
The law can take over your life.
你可能会有
Perhaps you will.
– 我觉得不会 – 抱歉,我不是指…
– I don’t think so. – Sorry. I didn’t mean…
跟我说说,亚当
Tell me this, Adam.
我想听你自己说
I want to hear it in your own words.
为什么拒绝输血?
Why won’t you have a blood transfusion?
因为这样不对
‘Cause it’s wrong.