大兵麦卡弗,滚边上去。
Private Metcalfe, for the wives.
Get back in there.
斯嘉丽女士举办了舞会。
Lady Scarlett is giving a ball.
诺伦上尉。 刘易斯,你好吗。
– Capt. Nolan.
– Lewis, how do you do?
卡利沙,莫莉夫人,
见到你们回来真好。
Clarissa, Mrs. Morris,
it is wonderful to have you back…
你们两个都回来了真是太棒了,来吧。
…you both back, it is wonderful. Come on.
年轻时在滑铁卢战役的前夜,我也跳过舞。
I danced as a boy on the eve of Waterloo.
那是场大战。
没错,是场大战。
– There was a war.
– That was a war.
杜波利, 我觉得我不合适帮你引荐。
I don’t think I belong, Duberly.
我肯定我合适,哦,我肯定你合适。
I’m sure I do. Oh, I’m sure you do.
我是个科学诗人。
I’m more a scientific poet.
-斯嘉丽女士
-爵士
– Scarlett.
– My lord.
这些时髦的女士搞得我心痒痒了。
All this swish and tit
gets me sniffing nose up.
我今晚要可不能想这些。
I shall have to fetch it off tonight, Squire.
今天去检阅我的骑兵了,总让我觉得像个娘们儿。
Had me Cherrybums out today,
always makes me randified.
都伯利说他总被军官轻视,被下属恐吓。
Duberly says he is despised by his officers
and feared by his men.
他说第11团已经开始成为笑料,这太坏了。
Duberly says the 11th
have become a laughing stock…
因为他们的夹克太短,裤子太紧。
…for the shortness of their jackets
and the tightness of their britches.
他跟本理解不了那些世家军官,
He says it is wicked, he commands
over the heads of gifted officers…
他一直是个傻瓜。
…when he is such a blockhead.
他们告诉我她运气快用完了。
They tell me that her pitcher has been
too often to the well.
都伯利说我不许再盯着卡迪根公爵看,
Duberly says I must stop
looking at Lord Cardigan…
好像我想被他骑似的。
…as if I want to be ridden by him.
都伯利说他跟妻子分居了……
Duberly says he has left his wife…
而且他因为拈花惹草
…and is the most notorious
casual person with women…
而声名狼藉。
…immoral and licentious.
我最想和卡迪根公爵跳舞。
I want to dance with Lord Cardigan
more than anything else in the world.
他难道不是最杰出的英格兰人模范吗?
Is he not the very picture of
the finest Englishman?
他多衣冠楚楚?
Has he not an exquisite head?
我刚才认识了迪.伯格绅士,很有魅力的家伙。
I’ve just been introduced to
Squire De Burgh, charming fellow.
我相信下一个舞是快步舞。
我想也是,但我没有舞伴。
– I believe the next is a gallop.
– I believe it is. I don’t have a programme.
虽然我快步舞跳得不好,但是能请您跳么?
I don’t gallop very well with ladies indoors,
but may I have the honor?
乐意之至。
失陪了。
– I shall be pleased.
– Excuse us.
你手下有个聪明军官叫诺兰。卡迪根公爵
You have a clever officer in Nolan,
Lord Cardigan.
他写了一本书,不是日记。
He has written a book, which is not a diary
but of a scientific nature.
而是军事科学性著作。
什么?一个傻X文青么?
– To do with soldiering.
– What, some damn novelist?
我确实羡慕当兵的生活
I do envy soldiers’ way.
一定要终日战斗,战争可怕么?
What it must be to hunt one day
and fight the next. Is war terrible?
当兵就是这样,我们渴望战争,凡妮小姐。
It is the stuff.
It is the stuff we’re all hoping for.
军人都希望可以展露才华。
Soldiers do, Fanny,
those that are waiting to use their talents.
军官最应该具备什么才华?
无畏?勇敢?
What is most a talented officer
should have? Courage and dash?
当然应该有,士兵要有些勇敢,
Some of that. A soldier should have
some courage, of course.
最关键的是,能够正确判断
Most of all, to know what is right.
能果断地下决心
Judgment, a feeling for decision.
骑兵军官要靠自己的敏锐目光,
A cavalry officer depends on
the strike in his eye.
来判断何时何地下决心。
When and where to use it.
同袍情谊在军事里很重要么?
Comradeship. How high is that regarded
in military things?
很重要,但是真正的同袍很少,就像真正深爱丈夫的妻子一样稀少。
High. But true comrades are rare,
like the truly loving wife is rare.
威廉常说起你 。
我应该叫他打住。
– William has talked of you constantly.
– I shall tell him to stop.
他说你是英格兰最佳的骑士,
He says you are the finest horseman
in England.
他有说我是最佳的舞者吗?我可不是。
Does he say I’m the finest dancer? I’m not.
他说得更离谱,他说,可能是在欧洲也是最好的骑士。
He goes further than that.
He says, probably in Europe, also.
他太夸张了。威廉真是幸运。
He exaggerates.
William is indeed fortunate.
你觉得做军人的妻子幸福吗?
Are you happy to be a soldier’s wife?
军人应该结婚吗?诺伦上尉?
Should soldiers have wives, Capt. Nolan?
威廉应该结。
William should.
那是惠灵顿公爵的雕像。
That’s the Duke of Wellington’s statue.
它可是全国捐款铸造的,现在他们不知道该摆放在哪里
It was subscribed for by the whole nation,
and now they don’t know where to put it.
这可真令人担心
There is great concern.
他是个优秀的军人。
我听说你也是个优秀军人
– He was a fine soldier.
– So are you, I am told.
我听朋友说你有个骑兵战术理论。
I learned from a friend
that you have a system.
我想在泰♥晤♥士♥报♥上为你写一篇文章。
I’d like to write an article on you
for the Times.
快快!
Come on, now!
那就是卡迪根的战术理论。
That is Cardigan’s system.
一先令招一个兵,你行么?
A shilling a man it costs him.
Can you beat that?
他的理论认为用不到14天就可以训练出一队骑兵
He reckons to train up a troop horse
in less than 14 days, is his system.
诺伦上尉?
我的理论系统?
– Capt. Nolan.
– And his system.
我的理论可不是你的灵感来源,
I am not one of your new lights
with tea and a Bible canteen.
也不是宗教启示录。
It is not a revelation.
你们应该都懂的,
Both of you have plenty of it.
你,我亲爱的朋友,我知道你有;
而你,罗素,我肯定你有
You, dear friend, I know,
and you, Russell, I am sure.
这理论一句话来说,就是慈爱
It is, in a word, kindliness.
我的美人,你今天好么?
马很好,谢谢你先生。
– How are you today, my beauty?
– She’s very well, sir. Thank you, sir.
下——马!
Pridmore. Dismount.
预备——上马!
Prepare to mount. Mount.
像高门的娼妓一样爬上去,背上用点弹力。
Move like a Highgate whore,
put some spring into your back.
观察这些你学不了什么
You’ll not learn nothing
from watching this…
但我仍要你们观察
…but I should stay watching.
我要你们报名
从右开始
I want you,
what your name is, on the right.
从右开始报名!
你不分左右么?
Your name, on the right!
Do you not know your right?
你,向右看!
我指着你呢!
You, on the right!
Where I’m pointing now!
你!我要你尽全力拿好你这把剑
You! I want you to watch this blade…
它要是一抖,我的脑袋就被劈开了。
…for should it waver,
slice it down fairly through my head…
看前边!
…as hard as you can. Face front!
你们还不能上钩子!
军士,从左面开始报名!
You’ve got no hooks on!
Sergeant, on the left.
钩子就是马刺
Hooks is spurs.
姓名?
麦达卡弗
– Name?
– Metcalfe.
你要一直穿着马刺.
You will wear your hooks at all times.
史密斯军士正在…别向下看
Sgt. Smith, what he is doing,
don’t look down…
正在标出来你们的左右
…is marking you right from left.
他识字,所以他知道分左右
He can read,
so he knows his left from right.
现在你们要学习新的步伐,
What you’ve got there is a new foot…
你们从来没有过的军队新步伐。
…an army foot you’ve never had before.
对他们而言是外国语了
It’s like a foreign language to them.
他们一点方向感也没有,
前后都不分。