Dr. Frobisher.
你认识我妻子简吧。
Ah, you know my wife Jane.
– 这是我妻子简以及巴克斯特勋爵
– Madam. – And Lord Baxter,
欧空工业的老总 学校的董事长
head of Eurospace Industries, chairman of our governors.
这是巴克斯特夫人
Yes, and, uh, Lady Baxter.
倍感荣幸
Delighted, delighted.
来自尼日利亚的小伙子为我工作,
Chap from Nigeria working for me,
设计部主任。
Head of the Design Department.
我相信你认识他。
I’m sure you know him.
哦,他叫什么名字?
Oh, what is his name?
我们再次非常幸运
We are very fortunate once again —
哦,他做得很好。
Oh, he’s doing very well.
你知道,他做得很好,这个男孩。
You know, he’s doing very well, this boy.
是的,他的工作非常出色。
Marvellous job he’s doing, yes.
国王陛下 我和巴克斯特勋爵
Now, Your Majesty, you know, Lord Baxter and I would like
想要跟你探讨我们的提案
to discuss our proposed centre for Islamic…
帽子好可爱
What a lovely hat.
谢谢你。
Thank you.
真可爱。
Lovely.
为教员和学生开球的是
Opening the batting for the masters
队长大卫·弗莱彻
and old boys, is their captain, David Fletcher.
这也许是最后一次
This will probably be the last time
我们看到大卫参加业余板球赛了
we will ever see David playing amateur cricket,
明天他就要去伦敦加入玛丽勒本板球球队
as he goes to London tomorrow to join the NCC.
对不起,先生。
I’m sorry, sir.
不不。
Oh, no, no.
应该是我道歉。
It is I who should apologise.
毕竟这是你的地盘 不是我的
After all, this is your room now, not mine.
若你允许 我想再打包些东西
If you’ll allow me to continue with the chore of packing.
我来这只是
I only came in here
因为这地方将成为
because this room is to become the centre
新语言学院的中心
of the new language block,
我以为没人会来
and, well, I didn’t expect anyone to be here.
不会很久 我保证
I shan’t be very long, I promise you.
不着急
Please don’t hurry, sir.
其实整个下午
The fact is, this afternoon,
我都很紧张
uh, I was feeling rather nervous.
突然很不安
You know, attack of the jitters, and, uh,
我想如果我来这里
I thought that if I came in here
排练上一堂课什么的
and rehearsed taking a class or something, it,
或许会让我镇定下来
it might calm me.
我想你会笑话我的。
Um, I expect you’d laugh at me for that.
你为什么会这么想?
Why would you expect that?
你管教严格
You keep such order.
我昨天早上看到了
I saw that yesterday morning, and,
毕竟,他们称你为
well, after all, they call you the
“10年级的希♥特♥勒♥”
“Hitler of the Lower Fifth.”
我失礼了
That was clumsy of me, sir.
我想他们没有别的意思
I’m sure nothing’s meant by it.
只是你恪守
It’s just that you, you keep such wonderful
原则而已
discipline, that’s all.
10年级的希♥特♥勒♥
The Hitler of the Lower Fifth.
他们不是坏孩子。
They’re, uh, not bad boys.
有时候有点狂野和冷酷,也许,
Sometimes a little wild and unfeeling, perhaps,
不过还不错。
but not bad.
刚开始我很努力地
In the beginning, I tried very hard
把我对古典文学
to communicate some of my own joy
的喜爱传递给他们
in the great literature of the past.
我失败了,
I failed,
尝试1000次会失败999次
as, of course, you will fail 999 times out of 1,000.
但是一次成功就可以弥补
But a single success can atone
所有的失败
for all the failures in the world
有时很少见 但这是真的
and sometimes, very rarely, it’s true
我曾成功过
sometimes, I had that success.
10年级的希♥特♥勒♥
The Hitler of the Lower Fifth.
我非常抱歉。
I’m desperately sorry.
不用道歉。
Don’t apologise.
我应该知道的
I, uh, should have known for myself
我不仅不讨人喜欢而且绝对不讨人喜欢。
that I’m not only not liked, but positively disliked.
很多年前我就意识到,
I realised many long years ago that the,
孩子们不再嘲笑我了,
the boys no longer laughed at me, but I,
但我不知道为何他们觉得我不再好笑
I don’t know why they no longer found me funny.
也许是你生病的时候。
Perhaps when you became ill.
没有。
No.
不,我不这么认为。
No, I don’t think so.
我真的不知道。
I really don’t know.
早些年 他们常常嘲笑我
In the earlier years, they used to laugh at me.
嘲笑而不是跟我一起大笑
At me, not with me.
我
At my, uh…
好玩的举止和讲话的习惯
funny mannerisms and tricks of speech,
当老师的都会有一些
which we all develop.
10年级的希♥特♥勒♥
The Hitler of the Lower Fifth.
我本来以为那个绰号♥
I would have thought that by now
现在已经失去意义了
that epithet would have lost its significance.
但显然还没有
Apparently not.
毫无疑问,它将成为我的墓志铭。
Undoubtedly, it will become my epitaph.
他们一定也会为我想出
I’m sure they’ll come up
更难听的名字
with something much worse for me.
唔
Well…
这间教室就留给你
I bequeath you this room.
祝你在这里成功
I wish you a great success in it.
我会尽力的,先生。
I’ll do my best, sir.
祝你在未来的职业生涯中好运。
And good luck to you in your future career.
未来职业生涯
My future career?
是的,谢谢。
Yes, thank you.
那个,
The, uh,
学生们还在叫我老东西吧
the boys do still call me “The Crock,” though, don’t they?
弗莱彻又得了四分。
And there’s another four runs to Fletcher.
多么精彩的表演。
What a show.
啊,劳拉,安德鲁。
Ah, Laura, Andrew.
校长,巴克斯特勋爵。
Headmaster, Lord Baxter.
安德鲁 我和巴克斯特勋爵
Uh, Lord Baxter and 1 would like to ask you, uh
想跟你谈谈
have a little chat with you, Andrew.
方便谈一谈吗
Um, good time for a word?
板球的伟大之处在于
Well, the great thing about cricket is
可以一边聊天一遍看球
you can talk and watch at the same time.
太对了 劳拉
Precisely well put, Laura.
我想请你帮个小忙,安德鲁。
A little favour I have to ask you, Andrew.
要我帮什么忙 校长
And what favour would that be, Headmaster?
关于明天颁奖礼的事
It concerns tomorrow’s Prize Giving.
我想你已经准备好致辞了吧
I take it you’re prepared to say a few words?
对 我写了一些草稿
Yeah, well, I have, uh, I have made a few notes.
击得好
Oh, well hit.
打得好,弗莱彻。
Well hit, Fletcher.
这是老师和校友队的又一次突破
And there’s another boundary for the masters —
很好
Good, good, good.
我就知道可以信赖你的谨慎
I know I can trust your discretion,
和机智
not to mention your wit.
我想你也会同意 我们不想让致辞
And I’m sure you’ll agree with me that we don’t want these things
变得冗长和枯燥
to become too long and distressing.
我在演说中加了
Well, I have included a few, uh,
一些双关语和笑话
puns and jokes in my speech.
那就太好了
That would be extremely acceptable.
打得好,弗莱彻。
Oh, fine stroke, Fletcher.
哦,是的。
Oh, yes.
是的,很好,就是这样。
Yes, that’s good, just the thing.
我也想谈一件重要的事
I, I also want to touch on a matter of some gravity.
好的 当然 当然
No doubt, no doubt.
不过我有个请求是这样的
Now, the favour I want to ask you is this.
你看,弗莱彻,
You see, Fletcher,
弗莱彻比你年轻很多