又是礼貌
Toujours la politesse.
我很感动,塔普洛。
I’m touched, Taplow.
但如果你真想表现礼貌
But if you really wish to show me politeness,
你现在就要
you will do so now
好好翻译拉丁文诗歌♥了
by translating verses less appalling
而不再出现我早上改的那种糟糕作业
than the ones I corrected this morning.
坐。
Sit.
先生。
Sir.
还同情他吗
Still feel sorry for him?
现在就结束。
Finish now.
既然这是
As this is the, uh, last time
我们这个班最后一堂课
we shall meet as a class,
我该向大家道别
it may not be amiss for me to say good bye
祝福大家前程似锦
and wish you all the best of good fortune.
现在是期末福利时间
And now the end of term treat.
我们要念埃斯库罗斯所著的《阿伽门农》中的一幕
We will read a scene from the “Agamemnon” by Aeschylus.
《阿伽门农》大概是有史以来最伟大的剧作了
“Agamemnon” is perhaps the greatest play ever written.
我所挑选的这一幕是从特拉
The scene I have selected starts with Clytemnestra
站在她丈夫阿伽门农
standing over the bodies of Agamemnon, her husband,
和女先知卡珊德拉的尸体旁开始的
and the prophetess Cassandra,
这两人都是被她所杀
both of whom she’s just murdered.
好吧 劳顿 从你开始
Very well, Laughton, begin.
原谅我打断一下 但我觉得
Uh, forgive me for interrupting, but I have the impression
你对正在念的文章一点都不理解
you understand nothing of what you’re reading.
是的 老师
No, sir, I —
特拉刚刚杀了人
Clytemnestra has just committed murder.
她正在描述她的恶行
She is describing her foul deed.
毫无悔意
She’s unrepentant, hm?
你觉得她不应该表现出一丝感情吗
Do you not think she would show some emotion?
当然,先生,我只是..
Well, of course, sir, I was just —
我知道,劳顿,你可能没有遇到过一个妻子
I realise, Laughton, that you may not have met a wife
杀害丈夫的妻子
who has destroyed her husband.
或许埃斯库罗斯也没见过
Nor, perhaps, had Aeschylus.
但是 他知道 真的有这样的妻子存在
Nevertheless, he knew, alas, that such wives do exist.
他运用想象 劳顿
He used his imagination, Laughton.
“想象” 正是你所缺乏的
Imagination, a word I think not in your vocabulary.
例如,(用拉丁语)。
For example, (speaks in Latin).
““我站在我的作品前面
“I stand upon mine act.
我在这里攻击我的丈夫
Yea, where I struck.”
你不觉得她这样说的时候
Do you not think, uh, in saying those words
展现出一丝残酷
she might reveal a flash of, uh, cruelty
还有一丝骄傲吗
and of pride?
嗯?
Hmm?
目中无人的生物。
Defiant creature.
然后这里,(用拉丁语)。
And then here, (speaks in Latin).
“我承认,
“And I confess it,
我运用此法
I did use such craft he could not fly
他便毫无逃脱和自卫的可能”
nor fend him against death.”
“我用网缚住他像渔夫捕鱼那样”
“I caught him in a net as men catch fish.”
“使他的袍子没有缝隙 没有孔洞”
“No room, no rathole in his loopless robe.”
“我捅了他两下
“I struck him twice.
一声 两声 他呻♥吟♥了两次 他抬了下胳膊”
And once and twice he groaned, he doubled up his limb.”
“最后一刀
“And with that stroke,
他便去见阎王了”
committed him to Zeus that keeps the dead.”
好了 下课了
Very well, you may leave.
再见,先生。
Good bye, sir.
再见,先生。
Cheerio, sir.
再见,先生。
Good bye, sir.
再见,克罗克-哈里斯先生。
Good bye, Mr. Crocker-Harris.
非常感谢,先生。
Thank you very much, sir.
– 再见,先生,祝你好运-再见,先生。
– Good bye, sir, good luck. – Good bye, sir.
走!
Walk!
我们一定要报仇
We’ve got to get him.
算了吧 我们会有麻烦
I don’t know, we’ll get in trouble.
拜托 塔普洛
Come on, Taplow.
崔不肖专找你麻烦
Trubshaw’s always picking on you.
明天报仇吧
We could do it tomorrow.
肯定会很有趣
Come on, it’ll be a laugh.
明天是学期最后一天了
It’s the last day of term.
他们又能怎样
What can they do?
谢谢你,先生。
Thank you, sir.
我知道 你一定
I realise, of course,
不会很重视
you will not be putting so much emphasis
希腊和拉丁文的教学
on the study of Greek and Latin.
也许这两科还会从课表上删除
Perhaps they may be even dropped from the curriculum,
或者改为选修课
or made optional extras.
校长交给我的职务
My remit from the headmaster is to organise
是组建新语言学院
a new Language Department, sir.
那意味着现代语言
That really means modern languages.
我想我们需要更加专注于
I believe we need a greater concentration
德文 法文和西班牙文
on German, French, Spanish.
毕竟,这是一个多元文化的社会。
It is, after all, a multicultural society.
没错 现代方式
Ah, yes, the modern approach.
几年前
Not so many years ago,
大家的热情是学习俄语
the great passion was to learn Russian.
然后出现改革
Then came perestroika.
俄语不再流行了。
Russian wasn’t trendy anymore.
总之谢谢你让我观摩学习
Yes, well, thank you for allowing me to observe.
不客气
Not at all.
也许我们一会还会见面
Perhaps we shall see each other later.
喂,有人在家吗?
Hello, anybody home?
就我自己
Just me, sir.
塔普洛。
Taplow.
你总是跟着我啊
You are following me around.
不是的 老师 我跟哈里斯老师课下补习
No, sir, I’ve got extra work with Mr. Crocker-Harris.
嗯。
Uh-huh.
但他现在还没回来
But he’s not here yet.
哈里斯夫人在吗
And Mrs. Crocker-Harris?
不,她也不在。
Uh, no, she’s not here either.
你要学习什么
What are you studying?
埃斯库罗斯《阿伽门农》
Aeschylus, sir, the “Agamemnon”.
你读过这本书吗?
Have you ever read it?
不能算读过
Well, no, I can’t say that I have.
好看吗?
Is it any good?
事实上是真的。
Oh, um, well, as a matter of fact, it is, really.
其实真的 关于什么的
Yeah, well, what’s it about?
是关于一个不忠的妻子,
It, it’s about a wife who’s unfaithful,
谋杀了她的丈夫。
and, and murders her husband.
我明白了,一部喜剧。
I get it, a comedy.
嘿,听着,你跟
Say, listen, did you get a chance
哈里斯老师谈了吗 说你要
to talk to Mr. Crocker-Harris about your transfer
转到我的科学班
to my science class?
谈了
Yes.
然后呢?
And?
他说了什么?
What did he say?
就像他总是说的那样。
Wh-what he always says for everything.
说吧,什么啊
Now come on, what is it?
“你的收获都是应得的
“You have obtained exactly what you deserve
几分耕耘 几分收获”
no less, and certainly no more.”
安德鲁?
Andrew?
安德鲁是你吗?
Andrew, is that you?
真是个惊喜啊。
Oh, what a pleasant surprise.
你好,劳拉。
Hiya, Laura.
没想到会在这里见到你,你好,塔普洛。
Didn’t expect to see you here. Hello, Taplow.
安德鲁让我来
Oh, Andrew asked me to come by.
给他下学期的课表
It’s about my timetable for next term.
噢 他还没回来
Oh, he’s not here.
安德鲁通常不会迟到 是不是 塔普洛
Well, it’s not like Andrew to be late, now, is it, Taplow?
是的 哈里斯夫人
No, Mrs. Crocker-Harris.
失陪了 两位
Well, excuse me, gentlemen.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!