And now,
有请安德鲁·克罗克·哈里斯
Mr. Andrew Crocker-Harris.
古典文学
Study of the classics,
在我看来,
in my view,
是我们文化的基础。
is the foundation of our culture.
文化只是一种表达
And culture is simply an expression
社会最好一面的一种方式而已
of what is best in society.
哲学 良好的政♥府♥
Philosophy, decent government,
公正 艺术 语言
justice, art, language.
我们的古典传承已不再受到重视
Our classical heritage is no longer valued.
那么我们又该如何帮助塑造文明的人类呢
And how can we help mould civilised human beings
如果我们不..。
if we no…
如果我们不再相信..。
if we no longer believe…
文明
in civilization?
抱歉
I am sorry.
我很抱歉,因为
I’m sorry because
对于“10年级的希♥特♥勒♥”
I have deserved the epithet
的称号♥我受之无愧
“Hitler of the Lower Fifth.”
我很抱歉,是因为我没能做到
I am sorry because 1 have failed to give you
你们有权要求一个老师做到的事情
what it is your right to demand of me as your teacher.
同情,
Sympathy,
鼓励,
encouragement,
仁慈
humanity.
人类最高尚的召唤就是关爱和引导年轻人
I have degraded the noblest calling a man can follow
而我却令之蒙羞
the care and moulding of the young.
初来本校时
When I came to this school
我仍然相信..。
I still believed that…
我..。
uh, that I…
我的使命是教学
I had a vocation for teaching.
我深知自己想做什么
I knew what I wanted to do,
然而我却没有做到
and yet, I, I did not do it.
对此我无话可说
I can offer no excuses.
我失败了,
I have failed,
惨重的失败
and miserably failed.
我只能寄希望
And I can only hope
于你们能够找到内心所爱
that you can find it in your hearts,
希望你们和无数
you and the countless others
已经毕业的学生们
who’ve gone before you
可以
to…
原谅我让你失望了。
forgive me for having let you down.
我也难以
I shan’t find it
原谅自己
easy to forgive myself.
就这样
That is all.
先生?
Sir?
先生。
Sir.
塔普洛,伙计们。
Taplow, boys.
再见,先生。
Good bye, sir.
再见,塔普洛。
Good bye, Taplow.
先生们。
Gentlemen.
再见,先生。
Bye, sir.
塔普洛?
Taplow?
(克罗克-哈里斯用拉丁语说话)
(Crocker-Harris speaks in Latin)
嗯。
Mm.
如果下学期你真的考虑到我的话
Well, it means if you have any regard for me, next term,
那就在转到科学班的时候
you will kindly refrain
不要把自己炸飞
from blowing yourself up when you switch to science.
谢谢你,先生。
Thank you, sir.
是的。
Yes.
做得好,塔普洛。
Well done, Taplow.
非常感谢。
Thanks a lot.
做得好。
Well done.
好吧。
Well.
你会赶不上火车的。
You’ll miss your train.
我会..。
I’ll…
我会写信
I’ll write.