由于你的部队不能确认你的身份…
It took some doing…
…就费了些事
…since your people couldn’t identify you.
最后太平洋舰队发了一份你的服役档案过来
Finally your C-in-C Pacific sent us a copy of your service record.
照片和指纹
The photograph, fingerprints.
你愿意看看吗?
Would you care to have a look?
我们知道你的真实身份已经一星期了
You see, we’ve known about your actual rank for nearly a week.
你的海军处在一个两难的境地
Your Navy’s in an awkward position.
一方面你是个英雄…
In one sense you’re a hero…
…成功逃出雨林
…for making an escape from the jungle.
同时 因为你假扮指挥官 他们又不好把你送回家
At the same time, they can’t bring you home…
然后颁发一枚海军十字勋章给你
…and give you the Navy Cross for impersonating an officer.
我想 因此他们很乐意把你转交给我们
I suppose that’s why they were happy to hand you over.
你明白了吗?
You see?
棘手的问题
Hot potato.
说到你的军阶
As far as your rank is concerned…
在316部队 我们并不在意那个
…we’re fairly informal about that in Force 31 6.
你可以假装你是少校
You’d have the simulated rank of major.
假装上校 那意味着…
A simulated major. That figures.
嗯…
Well….
我最好是志愿参加
As long as I’m hooked, I might as well volunteer.
很好!
Good show!
格林上校 长官
Oh, Colonel Green, sir.
这是舍尔斯上校
This is Major Shears.
他志愿帮助我们炸掉那座桥
He volunteered to go and help me blow up the bridge.
真的?
Really?
很好!
Good show!
太好了 上校!
Jolly good show, major!
去医务室吧 这只脚感染了
Get up to sick bay. This foot’s infected.
上校会以为我在装病
Colonel might think I’m malingering.
我是医疗官快去吧!
I’m the medical officer. Get cracking!
有人能告诉我他为什么想建这座大桥吗?
Will someone tell me why he wants to build a proper bridge?
不要担心老尼克
Don’t worry about old Nick.
他知道自己在干什么
He knows what he’s doing.
嘿 柯林普顿该给我们展示一下了
Hello, Clipton. About time you paid us a visit.
我们的小伙子干得真不错
Fine job our chaps are doing.
是的 他怎么样?
Yes. How’s he behaving?
当我们接管过来以后 他已经变得很讲理了
He’s been most reasonable since we took over.
他在想什么? – 我不清楚
What’s he thinking? – I haven’t the foggiest.
谢谢你 里夫 – 好的 长官
Thanks, Reeves. – Right, sir.
你怎么看?
What do you think?
绝对是个挑战 对不对?
Quite a challenge, isn’t it?
你真认为建这座桥是个好主意吗?
Are you convinced that building this bridge is a good idea?
你是认真的吗? – 是的 长官
Are you serious? – Yes, sir.
一个好主意吗? 我们再看看
A good idea? Take another look.
你不认为他们士气很高吗?
You don’t agree morale is high?
你不认为军纪又得到恢复了吗?
Discipline has been restored?
你不认为他们的待遇得到提高了吗?
Their condition has improved?
他们难道没有更快乐一些吗?
Are they a happier lot or aren’t they?
他们吃得也好了 再也得不到虐待
They feed better and they are no longer abused.
坦率地说 柯林普顿
Honestly, Clipton,
有时我一点也不了解你
there are times when I don’t understand you at all.
让我说得更清楚一些
I’ll try to make myself clear.
事实上 我们所作的事情可以被理解为…
The fact is, what we’re doing could be construed as…
…对不起 长官 是通敌合作
…forgive me, sir, collaboration with the enemy.
甚至可以被认为是叛国罪
Perhaps even treason.
我们是战俘
We’re prisoners of war.
我们没有权利拒绝劳动
We haven’t the right to refuse to work.
我知道 长官
I understand that, sir.
但是我们一定要做得这么好吗?
But must we work so well?
我们一定要做得比他们自己还好吗?
Must we do better than they could themselves?
如果你替Saito做手术
If you had to operate on Saito,
你会尽力治好他 还是杀死他?
would you do your best or let him die?
你难道不认为懒散会击垮我们?
Would you prefer we disintegrate in idleness?
让世人说我们连一件正常的工作都不会做?
Or have it said we can’t do a proper job?
这很重要 要让他们知道
It’s important to show them
他们不可能在身体或精神上打垮我们
they can’t break us in body or in spirit.
好好看看 柯林普顿
Take a good look, Clipton.
有一天 当战争结束
One day the war will be over.
我希望将来那些使用这座桥的人…
I hope that those who use the bridge in years to come…
…会记住它是怎么样被建成的 是谁修建了他们
…will remember how it was built, and who built it.
不是一群奴隶 而是一群战士
Not a gang of slaves, but soldiers.
一群英国战士 在被俘的情况下修建的
British soldiers, even in captivity.
是的 长官 – 你是一个好医生
Yes, sir. – You’re a fine doctor…
但是对于战争 你还要学习很多
…but you’ve a lot to learn about the army.
抓住他! 抓住他!
Hold him! Hold him!
用脚!
Use your boot! Get your boot in there, will you?
早上好!
Good morning!
你们到底在看什么?
What on earth are you people staring at?
用脚踹倒他!
Get him with your boot!
对不起我来迟了 长官
I’m sorry I’m late, sir.
迟到4分钟
Four minutes, to be exact.
你在做内科检查吗?
You were in need of medical attention?
对不起 长官? – 我是指那个女护士
Sir? – I was referring to the nurse.
足智多谋 华登 说的一点也不错
Very ingenious. Warden was right.
请坐
Sit down.
我请你来这里
I asked you here to help us
是要你挑选行动小组里的第四个人
pick the fourth member of your team.
请乔伊斯先生进来 – 是的 长官
Ask Mr. Joyce to come in. – Yes, sir.
查普曼想要乔伊斯 但是我有疑虑
Chapman wants Joyce, but I have my doubts.
他有太多的想象力了
He has too much imagination as distinct from cold calculation.
我已经告诉过你…
I’ve told you…
…在这个任务中 总会有万一
…in this job, even when it’s finished there’s always one more thing to do.
他在学校里是游泳最好的
He’s the best swimmer in the school.
我早已清楚你的观点
I’m well aware of your evaluation.
我现在要舍尔斯的意见
The opinion I want is Shears’.
好的 稍息
All right, at ease.
这些人想带你到雨林一游
These men are thinking of taking you for a hike in the jungle.
是的 长官
Yes, sir.
你在蒙特利尔是个会计师?
You were an accountant in Montreal?
是的 长官 但还不是个正式的会计师
Yes, sir. Not really an accountant.
因为我还没有得到许可证
That is, I didn’t have my charter.
那么你实际上做什么呢?
Exactly what did you do?
嗯 长官 我只是核算数据…
Well, sir, I just checked columns and columns of figures…
…核算那些别人核算过的数据…
…which people had checked before me…
…然后别人再核算我核算过的数据
…and other people checked them after I had checked them.
听起来很烦人 – 长官 是很烦人
Sounds a frightful bore. – Sir, it was a bore.
你怎么会在这里的?
How did you wind up here?
1939年 我去伦敦应征
In ’39 I came over to London to enlist.
后来 我志愿来到这里
Later I volunteered for this work.
你是志愿的! – 是的 长官 你看 正规部队…
You volunteered! – Yes, sir. See, the regular Army…
请继续 你可以很坦率地说
Go ahead, you can be frank.
嗯 正规部队使我回想起我原来的工作
Well, the regular Army reminded me of my job in civilian life.
他们不需要你去思考
They don’t expect you to think.
那你思考这个看看
Think about this.
你能用它来杀人吗?
Are you sure you’d be able to use it in cold blood?
我知道怎么使用它
I know how to use it.
不是那意思 我问你能用它来杀人吗?
That’s not what I meant. Could you use it in cold blood?
你可以毫不犹豫地杀人吗?
Could you kill without hesitation?
这个问题我曾经问过自己 它很困扰我
That’s a question I’ve asked myself. It’s worried me quite a bit.
那么答案是什么?
And what was the answer?
事实上 我并不知道答案 长官
I don’t honestly know, sir.
我曾经试图想象自己…
I’ve tried to imagine myself….
我很难使自己相信杀戮不是犯罪
I suppose I find it hard to kid myself that killing isn’t a crime.
那是军队里的一个古老的问题
It’s an old army problem.
嗯 好了 谢谢你 乔伊斯
Well, I think that’s all. Thank you, Joyce.
我可以参加行动了吗?
Am I to go with the team?
我们会让你知道的
We’ll let you know.
你们看到了吧
You see what I mean.
嗯 至少他是诚实的
Well, at least he was honest.
不到那时候
None of us ever know the answer

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!