能胜任这样的工作
…is capable of tackling a job of such importance.
另外 我有些军官 比如里夫和休斯…
On the other hand, I have officers, Reeves and Hughes for instance…
…他们在印度到处修桥
…who have built bridges all over lndia.
人们都尊敬他们
The men respect them.
尊重对一个军官来说 是很重要的
It’s essential for an officer to have that respect.
如果没有尊重 则不能服众
If it’s gone, he ceases to command.
然后会怎么样? 部下漫无纪律 指挥混乱
What then? Demoralization and chaos.
如果让这种情况发生 那么我就是个非常不称职的指挥官
A poor commander I would be if I allowed that to happen.
也许你忘记了
Perhaps you are not aware
修建大桥是由我来指挥的
that the bridge is now under my command.
真的吗? 你对进度满意吗?
Really? And may I ask, are you satisfied with the work?
很不满意! – 你证明了我的观点
I am not! – You’ve proved my point.
我痛恨英国人!
I hate the British!
你们被打败了 还不知羞耻
You are defeated but you have no shame.
你们很顽固 但没有什么值得自豪的
You are stubborn but have no pride.
你们会忍♥耐 但你们没有勇气
You endure but you have no courage.
我痛恨英国人!
I hate the British!
这样不能解决任何问题
Pointless, going on like this.
站着!
Stay there!
暂停!
Stand down. Stand down!
全体立正!
Battalion, attention!
全体 稍息
Battalion, stand at ease.
请…
Please….
你知道今天是什么日子吗 上校?
Do you know what is the date today, colonel?
我已经不会记数了
I’ve lost count.
这是我们1905年
It’s the anniversary of our great victory…
大胜俄♥国♥人的纪念日…
…over Russia in 1 905.
整个东亚都在庆祝这个日子
Throughout East Asia we are celebrating this date.
趁着这个伟大的日子…
In honour of this occasion…
…我给你的部下放了一天假
…l have given your troops a day of rest.
多谢
Many thanks.
我要宣布一个特赦
I am declaring a general amnesty.
你和你的军官可以回到你们的住处
You and your officers may return to your quarters.
作为这个特赦的一部分…
As part of this amnesty…
…军官不需要做体力劳动了
…it will not be necessary for officers to do manual labour.
他做到了!
He’s done it!
应该给某些人发勋章
Somebody deserves a medal, sir.
你的手下有多少人?
How many men in your party?
我不是很清楚 长官
I don’t really know, sir.
你不清楚? – 通常有12个人
You don’t know? – Twelve, usually.
今早有一个生病了 长官
One of the men took sick this morning, sir.
有三四个人把他抬到医院去了
It took three or four to help him to the hospital.
嗯 他病得很厉害 长官
And… He took terrible sick, sir.
一个下士必须清楚他管辖多少人
A corporal should know how many men he has under him.
是 长官
Oh, yes, sir.
你的面部神经有问题吗?
Have you a nervous affliction?
否则 不要那样做鬼脸
Stop making those faces.
也许你认为很有趣 但不要那样做鬼脸
It may be funny to you, but it’s not military behaviour.
没有问题 长官
No, sir.
我们必须停止这些作假行为
We must put a stop to these demonstrations.
我说 里夫? – 什么 长官?
I say, Reeves? – Yes, sir?
以前在这类河上修建过大桥吗?
Ever built a bridge over a stream like the Kwai?
是的 长官
Yes, sir,
我们在马德拉斯和孟加拉修的桥有半数是这类的
half a dozen of them in Madras, Bengal….
如果这是你负责修建的大桥…
If this were your bridge…
你会怎样来做…?
…how would you get it under way?
怎样来做?
Get it under way, sir?
首先 我不会把它修在这里
First of all, I wouldn’t build it here.
噢 为什么?
Oh, why not?
我可以说…
I was trying to tell you…
…小日本不可能再找到比这里糟糕的地点了
…the Japanese couldn’t have picked a worse location.
你看到这些桥桩了吗?
You see those piles?
他们正在下沉
They’re sinking.
他们要经常受到压力 而他们不可能支撑的住
We could drive those logs forever and they wouldn’t hold.
那你会在哪里建桥?
Where would you build it?
下游较远一点的地方 长官
Further downstream, sir.
在那些河道狭窄的地方跨越河流
Across those narrows.
这样两岸都会有坚实的岩床
Then we’d have solid bedrock on both banks.
休斯 如果是你负责修建大桥 你会怎么安排人手?
Hughes, if this were your bridge, how would you use the men?
绝对不是现在这样子
Not the way they’re doing it.
正如你看到的 太混乱了
It’s chaos, as you can see.
作业互不协调
Uncoordinated activity.
相互没有配合
No teamwork.
很多组的工作相互制约
Some parties are working against each other.
是的
Yes.
我说 先生们 我们手上有个难题
I say, gentlemen, we have a problem on our hands.
感谢小日本所赐 我们在指挥一群乌合之众
Thanks to the Japanese, we command a rabble.
没有秩序 没有原则
There’s no order, no discipline.
我们的任务是要重组军队 – 是的 长官
Our task is to rebuild the battalion. – Yes, sir.
那并不容易
Which isn’t going to be easy.
幸运的是 我们手上有个对象 那座大桥
Fortunately, we have the means at hand. The bridge.
那座大桥 长官? – 是的 那座大桥
The bridge, sir? – The bridge.
我们要展示我们西方的效率 给他们上一课
We’ll teach them a lesson in Western efficiency
让他们出出丑
that’ll put them to shame.
展示我们英军士兵的能力
Show what a British soldier is capable of.
是的 长官 我明白你的意思
Yes. I see your point, sir.
我知道这儿环境很艰苦…
I know how difficult it’s going to be here…
…找不到合手的东西
…where you can’t find what you need.
这是一个挑战 – 请原谅 长官
There’s the challenge. – I beg your pardon, sir.
你真的要给他们修一座大桥?
You really want them to build the bridge?
你们平时可不是这么迟钝的
You’re not usually so slow in the uptake.
我知道我们的战士 必须让他们有活干
I know our men. You’ve got to keep them occupied.
如果他们没有事干 我们就找一些给他们做
If there weren’t any work, we’d invent some.
我们会的 长官 – 我们很幸运
That we would, sir. – So we’re lucky.
但是我们还要把它造好
But it’s going to be a proper bridge.
我还知道我们的战士
Here again I know the men.
他们需要在工作中寻找自豪感
It’s essential that they take pride in their job.
对不对 各位? – 是的 长官
Right, men? – Yes, sir.
里夫 你是这里的关键人员 你在这里要充当一个工程师
Reeves, you’re the key man here as engineer.
告诉我你需要的 我们会尽量去满足
Tell me what you want and we’ll get it.
我们能干好吗?
Can we make a go of it?
我们会干的很漂亮的 长官 – 很好
We’ll do out best, sir. – Fine.
我们必须先制定计划…
We must draw up our plans…
…然后和Saito开个会议…
…then arrange a conference with Saito…
…然后纠正他的错误
…and set him straight.
那些全是程序上的事情
That takes care of all the procedural matters.
噢 是的
Oh, yes.
下面我要说的 可能相关的人员会不高兴
The next point is unpleasant for all concerned, I’m afraid.
我不得不说 大桥的选址是草率的…
Sorry to say, the position of the bridge was fixed hastily…
…嗯 或者说是错误的
…and, I have to add, incorrectly.
错误的?
Incorrectly?
很不幸 是的
Unfortunately, yes.
我们的技术人员研究了你们选的地点…
Our engineer has made a study of the site…
…认为河床太软
…and decided that the river bottom there is too soft.
太软?
Too soft?
全是泥浆! 所有的工作都是无用工
Mud! All the work has been useless.
里夫 请你继续 – 是的 长官
Reeves, will you carry on? – Yes, sir.
里夫 请你继续 – 是的 长官
Reeves, will you carry on? – Yes, sir.
桥墩的受力会把…
Those piles of yours could be hammered
它们压到水面以下的
below water level before they’d hold.
当第一列火车通过的时候 大桥就会倒塌
It would collapse under the first train.
这是压力和泥土形变的图表
The pressure and soil resistance figures
单位是吨♥/平方英寸
in tons per square inch.
里夫 在你深入介绍之前…
Reeves, before you get too involved….
上校 我们可以来杯茶吗?
Colonel, could we have a cup of tea?
我认为大家都同意了 为了避免灾难…
I take it we all agree that if we’re to avoid disaster…
…我们必须在下游400码的地方
…we build a new bridge,
在里夫挑选的地址上建一座新桥
at the site picked by Reeves, 400 yards downstream.
现在我们来看下一个问题
Let’s proceed to the next point.
我要改变他们的劳动强度
I decided to alter the work quota of our men.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!