– Really? – Said I was a radical.
我从来没有采取任何权益 在政♥治♥上自毙的Nero。
I, who have never taken any interest in politics since the death of Nero.
你看那个。
Look at that.
亨利的老教堂, 灭亡忽视。
Henry’s old church, perishing from neglect.
这是这样一个漂亮的小教堂。
It’s such a nice little church.
太少了,我很害怕。
Too little, I’m afraid.
它不能站起来 反对的前进步伐。
It can’t stand up against the march of progress.
好吧,我必须推动。
Well, I must be pushing on.
– 很高兴再次见到你。 – 游乐。
– Delighted to have seen you again. – Pleasure.
我们必须团结起来,并有一个 喝在维也纳的那些日子。
We must get together and have a drink to those days in Vienna.
通过一切手段。呵,呵。
By all means. Heh, heh.
– 晚上好,教授。 – 哦,帕特。
– Good evening, professor. – Oh, Pat.
你有任何想法,这名男子是谁?
Have you any idea who that man is?
不。他是一个陌生人给我。
Nope. He’s a stranger to me.
– 晚上好,夫人布鲁厄姆。 – 晚上好,明德。
– Good evening, Mrs. Brougham. – Good evening, Matilda.
你好,奎尼。
Hello, Queenie.
– 黛比在床上了吗? – 嗯,是的,夫人。
– Is Debby in bed yet? – Uh, yes, ma’am.
汉密尔顿太太和委员会 与主教在那里。
And Mrs. Hamilton and the committee are in there with the bishop.
晚餐一直等待很长一段时间, 夫人。
Dinner’s been waiting a long time, madam.
– 是的。 – 我不知道该怎么办。
– Yes. – I didn’t know what to do about it.
– 我们会吃晚饭,尽快为他们离开。 – 是的,但什么样的鸡?
– We’ll have dinner as soon as they leave. – Yes, but what about the chicken?
不要担心,明德,请。 在这里。
Don’t worry about it, Matilda, please. Here.
– 所有权利。 – 谢谢你。
– All right. – Thank you.
哦,明德,我的提包。
Oh, Matilda, my bag.
[MUFFLED CHATTER]
在这里。谢谢。
Here. Thank you.
哦,我非常抱歉,我这么晚了。
Oh, I’m terribly sorry I’m so late.
晚上好,汉密尔顿太太。
Good evening, Mrs. Hamilton.
但我被延迟的圣诞购物。
But I was delayed Christmas shopping.
佩里先生,晚上好, 夫人杜伦巴尔。
Good evening, Mr. Perry, Mrs. Trumbull.
您好,病房♥夫人。
Hello, Mrs. Ward.
我希望你已经有 一个很好的会晤。
I hope you’ve been having a good meeting.
我们都没有。
We have not.
我从来没有在我的生活中遇到 这种模糊的思维。
I’ve never in my life encountered such fuzzy thinking.
– 你认为我们已经取得了任何进展? – 不,汉密尔顿太太。
– Do you think we’ve made any progress? – No, Mrs. Hamilton.
佩里先生约 告诉我们什么。
Mr. Perry was about to tell us something.
仅仅是一个建议。如果汉密尔顿太太 批准,我们也许能够…
Merely a suggestion. If Mrs. Hamilton approves, we might be able…
放置乔治B.汉密尔顿 纪念教堂,在这里的东北。
…to place the George B. Hamilton Memorial Chapel here on the northeast.
这将是完全淡出人们的视线。 我不会站在它。
It would be completely out of sight. I won’t stand for it.
汉密尔顿太太,这个教堂不能 专为个人的荣耀。
Mrs. Hamilton, this cathedral cannot be designed for the glory of an individual.
它必须创建所有的人。
It has to be created for all the people.
你的态度,我很不高兴, 亨利·布鲁厄姆。
I’m very displeased at your attitude, Henry Brougham.
我是器乐 在你做主教…
I was instrumental in having you made bishop…
虽然别人 想你太年轻了。
…although others thought you too young.
– 那是夸张吗? – 哦,是的,夫人 – 我的意思是,没有。
– Is that an exaggeration? – Oh, yes, Mrs… I mean, no.
– 你的指导精神。 – 我清楚地记得你告诉 –
– You were the guiding spirit. – I distinctly remember that you told…
我对你的信心,当你 是一个贫穷的小牧师在贫民窟。
I had confidence in you when you were a poor little parson in the slums.
我承认,我的信心被削弱。
I confess my confidence is weakened.
我很遗憾 我一直这样的失望。
I regret I’ve been such a disappointment.
遗憾和道歉 也没有丝毫益处。
HAMILTON: Regrets and apologies are no good whatsoever.
你给我的印象是 迷茫,犹豫不决,无效的。
You give me the impression of being confused, indecisive and ineffectual.
这不是那种领导 我们期望我们的主教。
That is not the kind of leadership we expect of our bishop.
你更好地记住一件事。
You better remember one thing.
我所想要的,你将建立,大教堂, 否则您将无法建立。
You will build that cathedral as I want it, or you will not build it at all.
这是我不得不说。
That’s all I have to say.
有人得到这个狗的出路。
Someone get this dog out of the way.
– 朱莉娅。 – 奎尼。
HENRY: Julia. – Queenie.
晚安,汉密尔顿太太。
Good night, Mrs. Hamilton.
– 晚安。 – 晚上好。
– Good night. WARD: Good evening.
晚上好,夫人布鲁厄姆。
PERRY: Good evening, Mrs. Brougham.
晚上好,夫人布鲁厄姆。
Good evening, Mrs. Brougham.
– 我们可以开饭了,夫人? – 是的,明德。
– Can we serve dinner now, ma’am? – Yes, Matilda.
一个清脆的鸡将被烧毁。
The chicken will be burned to a crisp.
我们马上英寸
We’ll be right in.
朱莉娅,你知道,汉密尔顿太太 预计今天下午在这里。
Julia, you knew that Mrs. Hamilton was expected here this afternoon.
我知道,亨利。
I know, Henry.
对不起,我迟到了。
I’m sorry I was late.
有什么可怕的下午。 真是一个可怕的女人。
What a ghastly afternoon. What a ghastly woman.
我无意被勒死 由她的钱袋。
I have no intention of being strangled by her purse strings.
她没有和我为你感到骄傲。
She did and I was proud of you.
我有一个最非基♥督♥徒的冲动 采取这些蓝图…
I had a most un-Christian impulse to take those blueprints…
,并给她一个很好的失衡 在貂皮大衣。
…and give her a good whack over the mink coat.
我想你站起来给她 辉煌。
I thought you stood up to her magnificently.
我很欣赏你的赞赏, 但我的大教堂?
I appreciate your appreciation, but what about my cathedral?
我提出一个建议,亨利?
May I make a suggestion, Henry?
为什么推迟大教堂? 算了吧,直到圣诞节后。
Why not postpone the cathedral? Forget it until after Christmas.
不可能的。 不能仅仅把神的殿。
Impossible. The house of God can’t just be put off.
这座大教堂必须上升。 很多富有的人,在这个小镇。
This cathedral must rise. Plenty of rich people in this town.
如果我必须争取他们的财务 热情…
If I had to enlist their financial enthusiasm…
…我要好好把握 他们的圣诞节精神。
…I shall have to take advantage of their Yuletide spirit.
哦,我现在可以看到这一切。
Oh, I can see it all now.
的McVVhithers,公♥寓♥, 范Deusens。
The McWhithers, the Hornes, the Van Deusens.
午餐,委员会会议。 而你,你那里,见怪不怪了他们的…
The luncheons, committee meetings. And you, you there, flattering them…
他们叩头,乞求他们。 – 它有许多工作要做。
…kowtowing to them, begging them. – It’s got to be done.
哦,亨利,如果你能看到 你可怜的骚扰脸。
Oh, Henry, if you could see your poor harassed face.
– 你还没有做很多工作来帮助它。 – 为什么 – ?
– You haven’t done much to help it. – Why…?
是的,小姐Cassaway,是什么呢?
Yes, Miss Cassaway, what is it?
特雷弗先生的电♥话♥。 他说,它的迫切需要。
Mr. Trevor on the phone. He says it’s urgent.
– 告诉他,,主教会叫他回来。 – 是的,夫人蒙惠。
– Tell him the bishop will call him back. – Yes, Mrs. Brougham.
亨利,你发生了什么事?
Henry, what’s happened to you?
我们发生了什么事 我们的婚姻?
What’s happened to us and our marriage?
我们曾经有过这样的乐趣, 你和黛比和I
We used to have such fun, you and Debby and I.
我们要快乐, 我们让其他人快乐。
We used to be happy, we used to make other people happy.
噢,亨利,那是你的礼物。
Oh, Henry, that was your gift.
你没有金融家 你不是一个发起人。
You’re no financier and you’re not a promoter.
你看不到 超越你的鼻子的末端。
You can’t see beyond the end of your nose.
我想站在这个教堂 像一盏明灯。它的光 –
I want this cathedral to stand like a beacon. Its light to…
哦,从来不介意的话,亨利,从来不介意。 请记住,您的下一次委员会会议。
Oh, never mind, Henry, never mind. Keep that for your next committee meeting.
这里我收集了贡献。
Here’s a contribution I collected.
那是什么?
What’s that?
这是一个古老的罗马硬币。 教授Wutheridge发送给你。
It’s an old Roman coin. Professor Wutheridge sent it to you.
难道不是他的甜?
Wasn’t it sweet of him?
老傻瓜。 他认为我可以做什么?
The old fool. What does he think I can do with that?
嗯,这是一个开始。
Well, it’s a beginning.
现在,所有你需要的 是另一个4万元。
And now all you need is another 4 million.
朱莉娅,不要轻率。
Julia, don’t be flippant about this.
– 是晚餐准备好了吗? – 是的。
– Is dinner ready? – Yes.
让我们去得到它。 我有很多的工作要做。
Let’s go in and get it over with. I have a lot of work to do.
对于我们即将接受, 让我们心存感激。
For what we are about to receive, make us thankful.
– 阿门。 – 阿门。
– Amen. – Amen.
– 朱莉娅。 – 是吗?
– Julia. – Yes?
我只是在想…
I was just thinking…
明天也许我们可以 一起出去。
…tomorrow maybe we could go out together.
在哪里?
Where?
哦,只是走动的方式,我们用。
Oh, just walk around the way we used to.
我们可以去拜访教授…
We could go and call on the professor…
去公园,观看溜冰, 诸如此类的事情。
…go to the park and watch the skaters, that sort of thing.
也许我们可以一起吃午饭……
Maybe we could have lunch together…
…米歇尔·的。你还记得吗?
…at Michel’s. You remember that?
米歇尔的。
Michel’s.
哦,它已经多年 因为我们已经去过那里。
Oh, it’s been years since we’ve been there.
请原谅我。我一直 试图解释特雷弗先生…
Please forgive me. I’ve been trying to explain to Mr. Trevor…
但他坚持对你说话时 亲自主教。
…but he insists upon speaking to you personally, bishop.
对不起,亲爱的。
Excuse me, darling.
[DINNER BELL RINGS]
明德,你能不能让汤温暖, 好吗?
Matilda, will you keep the soup warm, please?
主教的被调用到手♥机♥上。 告诉迪莉娅,我们会为明天的午餐。
The bishop’s been called to the phone. Tell Delia we’ll be out for lunch tomorrow.
是的,夫人。
Yes, ma’am.
当然,特雷弗先生。是的,但是 –
Of course, Mr. Trevor. Yes, but…
我很欣赏你的困难 –
I appreciate your difficulties…
但是 –
But…
哦,很好,我会在那里。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!