什么意思
What do you mean?
你是代表研究部来这里的
You’re here to represent research,
你是技术支持
technical support,
公♥司♥的智囊
the brains of the company.
我吗
Me?
当然
Absolutely.
但是我没有太多这方面的经验
But I don’t have that much experience.
这都没关系
Oh, well, that doesn’t matter.
你干什么都没关系
You as a person don’t really matter, bob.
起个代表作用就行了
It’s what you represent.
我是不是应该做些什么
Am I supposed to be doing anything?
不用 你就站在这仔细观察就好 坐着也行
Nope. Just stand there and look wise, or sit.
看你喜欢
It’s entirely up to you.
你会做好的
You’ll do fine, bob.
但愿如此
Jeez, I hope so.
说实话
You know, when you think about it,
你看到有人在那
to tell the truth,
其实并没有人
nobody’s really here.
你以为你看见人们在大厅里
You think you see people walking
走来走去 其实不是这样
around those hallways? You don’t.
你看到的仅仅是功能
What you see is functions.
就是售货会议本来的样子
That’s the nature of a convention.
莱利是在说
What larry means is…
如果你站在我们来这的原因这个角度
If you look at it from a standpoint
来看待问题的话
of why we’re here,
我们的作用远比我们的身份更重要
what we are is more important than who we are.
听起来有点不近人情啊
Well, that seems kind of impersonal.
当然 就要不近人情 鲍勃
Well, of course it’s impersonal, bob.
不然你说为什么他们要在这种地方
Why do you think they hold conventions
办商务会谈呢
in places like this?
你感觉这里
Is there anything about this place
有什么贴近人情的地方呢
that smacks of personality to you?
听起来好惭愧啊
Still, it seems a shame.
没什么好惭愧的
It’s not a shame, bob.
公♥司♥安排你这些天跟谁一起干活
So, who do they have you working for these days, bob?
杨教授
Professor young.
吉姆 杨
Jim young?
对 你知道他
Yeah. You know him?
我们见过
We’ve met.
他很厉害
Tremendous guy.
是吗
Oh, really?
怎么厉害
How so?
他有二三十项专利吧
He’s got, what, 20, 30 patents?
我想他可能还是他教堂的执事
I think he’s even a deacon in his church.
那样就叫厉害了吗
And all that makes him tremendous?
光专利就很厉害了
The patents alone.
鲍勃 我无意冒犯
Listen, bob, no offense.
我能看出来你很欣赏吉姆 杨
I can see that you admire the man and all,
但我要跟你说一点关于他的事
but let me tell you a little something about jim young.
什么事
What’s that?
他就是个白♥痴♥
He’s an idiot!
什么
What?
他就是个傻♥逼♥
He’s a moron, bob.
让他给我洗车我都不要
I wouldn’t trust the guy to wax my car.
你为什么这么说
How can you say that?
我跟你说过我们见过面
I’ve met him, remember?
我不止在一个人那里
I’ve gotten an earful of jim young
听过关于他的坏话了
on more than one occasion.
我可以肯定地告诉你
I can tell you for a fact
那个人就是坨屎
the guy is full of shit.
不是的 我天天跟他一起工作
I don’t think so. I work with him every day.
也许你只是不会看人
Well, maybe you just don’t know what to look for.
也许只是我看人的标准跟你不同吧
Maybe I just have different standards.
鲍勃 你现在有空吗
Listen, bob, you got a minute?
我想跟说点事
I want to tell you something.
好啊
Sure.
这世界上有这样一种人
There are people in this world, bob,
当他们在工作的时候
who look very official
他们表现的很正式 很正经
while they’re doing what they’re doing.
可你知道为什么吗
And do you know why?
为什么
Why?
因为他们也不知道自己在做什么
Because they don’t know what they’re doing.
因为如果你知道自己在做什么的话
Because if you know what you’re doing,
你就没必要表现得像你知道自己在做什么一样
you don’t have to look like you know what you’re doing.
你就会表现得很自然 懂我的意思吗
It comes naturally. Do you follow me?
当然懂
Sure.
嗯 所以
Ok, so now,
你现在知道怎么区分了吗
do you know how you can tell the difference?
不知道
No.
区分的方法就是
The way you tell is,
你的潜意识里会突然冒出一个声音
a little voice pops up in the back of your mind
告诉你 坐在我面前的这个人
to say that this guy who’s sitting before me…
在一本正经地撒谎
or she… is lying through his teeth
在瞎扯淡
and telling me stories.
一旦你看出了这一点
Once you get that little piece of information,
你会怎么做
what do you do?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我会这么做
Here’s what I would do.
我会说”兄弟 我活这么大已经听过各种各样的谎话
I would say, “buddy, I’ve heard a lot of horseshit in my time,
因为 拜托 我可是推销员
“’cause god knows I’m a salesman,
我们都要在风雪中跋涉
“and we all have to wade
千辛万苦才能到达目的地
“through our share of the snow to get to the cabin,
但你却捷足先登
“but you take the cake.
我不认为
“I don’t believe you have the first idea
你清楚自己在说什么
“of what you’re talking about.
你的孩子们敬仰你
“Your children admire you, I’m sure,
我们也希望如此
“as we all hope they do,
也许你老婆不知道 但是我知道
“and maybe your wife doesn’t know, but I know.
我的见识让我不得不
“And my knowledge forces me to call you on the fact
在我们谈话的一开始就想骂你
“that you are a goddamn cocksucking liar
是个肮脏的骗子”
from the word go!”
然后我就会坐下继续喝汤
And then I would sit down and finish my soup.
你不会的
You would not.
菲尔 你是不是没听过
Phil, have you or have you not ever heard
或者没见过我这么做
or seen me doing what we were just talking about?
见过
Yes.
听见了吧 这就是为什么干咱们这行有前景
There. You see? That’s why there’s hope, bob.
因为还是有人像我一样愿意倾听的
Because there’s people like me who listen.
什么时候
When was this?
什么”什么时候”
What do you mean, “when”?
你居然怀疑一个坐在这
Are you doubting a man who sits there
看《阁楼》的人会有心思撒谎吗
reading penthouse to expand his mind?
你会怀疑吗
Are you gonna question that?
是在几年前
It was a couple years ago
我们跟一个采购代表吃午饭的时候
when we were having lunch with a purchasing agent.
相信了吧
You see?
你真的那样说了吗
And you actually said that?
一字不差
Word for word.
哪有一字不差
It was not word for word.
基本上是好吗
In principle, phil.
我是在大致地跟这个孩子说
I’m speaking to the boy in principle,
因为毕竟他还年轻 阳光积极
because after all, he’s a bright young man,
而且他也听得明白
and he understands the meaning of a concept.
你骂了他然后呢
So what happened?
你觉得呢
Well, what do you think happened?
你希望会发生什么
What would you expect to have happen?
那个人很生气
The guy got angry.
那个人非常生气
The guy got furious.
然后他就坐在那直到吃完那顿饭
He just sat there through the rest of the meal
沉默着咬牙切齿
just fuming, not saying a word.