All right, Patsy, what’s wrong?
没事 你知道的 我讨厌这个昵称
Nothing. And you know I detest that nickname.
你也想知道这里发生的一切吗 是不是
You have to know everything, don’t you?
我并不是为了好奇才来到这的
I didn’t mean to be inquisitive.
看在上帝的份上 坐下来
Oh, for heaven’s sake, sit down.
我想说 一些人你不能侮辱
I declare, some people you can’t insult at all…
一些人却为了一点小事发怒
and other people get in a huff over the slightest thing.
对不起
Oh, I’m sorry.
到了今天这个地步 我也不知道我在说些什么
I’m in such a state today I don’t know what I’m saying.
你到底想不想告诉我发生了什么
Well, are you going to tell me or not?
朱莉 我想说他不是我心目中那个男人
Oh, Julie, he’s not the man I remembered.
你的意思是 他没有像他在船上做的那么好
Well, he couldn’t very well bring his ship with him.
这里发生了什么事 帕特
What’s going on here, Pat?
你和吉姆之间发生了什么
What’s happened between you and Jim?
拉姆 说他去了镇上
Ram said he went into town.
是的 我把他赶走的
Yes. I sent him away.
天啊 为什么 帕特
For heaven’s sakes, why, Pat?
因为 他在所有人面前向史提夫退缩了
Well, because. He backed down from Steve in front of everybody.
史提夫对着他的脸说他是个骗子
Steve called him a liar right to his face
他只是站在那里
and he just stood there and took it.
为什么要说他是骗子
Why did he call him a liar?
吉姆说
Jim said…
这有什么分别呢
What difference does it make?
重要的是 吉姆拒绝了和史提夫决斗
The important thing is that Steve said it and Jim refused to fight.
这只是一个导火索
It’s just sort of the last straw.
从开始的时候就一件事情接着一件
It’s been one thing right after another.
巴克·汉纳森在路上欺负他
Buck Hannassey beats him up on the road
他却拒绝做任何报复
and he refuses to do anything about it.
还有他怕掉下马来被愚弄
But he wouldn’t even get on Old Thunder
都不敢去骑老雷
when the boys saddled him up for a lark.
当史提夫称他是骗子的时候只会站在那里
Then just to stand there
不做任何事情
when Steve called him a liar and not do anything…
你说吉姆不敢骑老雷
You say Jim wouldn’t ride Old Thunder?
这下有趣了 他说过因为那匹马碰到了些麻烦
That’s funny. He mentioned about having trouble with a horse…
我马上就回来
I’ll be right back.
-你去哪儿 -去问拉姆 一些事情
-Where are you going? -To ask Ram something.
我知道他不敢骑它 这里的每个人都知道
I know that he didn’t ride him. Everybody here knows it.
上校当时就站在那里
The major was standing right there.
你以为你什么都知道 朱莉 但这次你错了
You always think you know everything, Julie, but this time you’re wrong.
来吧 我们去找拉姆
Come on. Let’s go find Ram.
是的
Yes?
麦凯先生骑过老雷吗
Did Mr. McKay ride Old Thunder?
没有 我不这么认为
No. I don’t think so.
拉姆 为什么麦凯先生让你不要告诉任何人
Ram, why did Mr. McKay ask you not to tell anybody?
我不知道 也许是因为他
I don’t know. Maybe because he…
这不公平
That is no fair.
对不起 拉姆 但我们已经知道了
I’m sorry, Ram, but we had to know.
所以他骑过老雷
So he did ride him?
是的 他一个人骑的
Oh, yes. He ride him himself.
老雷大概将他摔下去五十次 我不记得多少次了
Old Thunder threw him down five, ten times. I don’t know how many.
但他没有放弃
And he don’t give up.
不过最后老雷放弃了
But Old Thunder give up,
然后他就骑着老雷这样子走
and then he was walking like this,
像骑一匹老驴子 你知道吗
like an old burro, you know.
像他这样的男人是很少见的
A man like him is very rare.
谢谢你 拉姆
Thank you, Ram.
愿意为您效劳 小姐
You’re welcome, serita.
如果他想骑老雷 为什么当时不这么做呢
If he was gonna ride the brute, why didn’t he do it when it meant something?
这意味着他不想让人们知道
Well, he did ride it when it meant something to him.
很显然 麦凯先生只担心一件事
Obviously Mr. McKay is afraid of only one thing:
人们可能怀疑他在炫耀自己
That people may suspect him of showing off.
但如果他爱我 为什么要让我觉得他是一个胆小鬼
But if he loved me, why would he let me think he’s a coward?
如果你爱他 为什么要在乎那些呢
If you love him, why would you think it?
要多少次让男人这样赢得你呢
How many times does a man have to win you?
好了 我认为这是一种彻底的欺骗方式
Well, I think it’s a downright deceitful way of acting.
我很高兴他走了
I’m glad he’s gone.
如果你还想批评我可以继续去找理由
And you can go too if all you can think to do is criticise me.
你现在这样护着他
The way you’re sticking up for him…
一些人会认为是你自己喜欢上了他
a person might think you were in love with him yourself.
如果你觉的他这么好 为什么你不去找他呢
If you feel that way about him, why don’t you go after him?
我确信我不在乎
I’m sure I don’t care.
你个傻瓜
You fool!
那个男人爱你
The man loves you!
当你责备他的时候 你知道他在做什么吗
While you were blaming him, do you know what he was doing?
他买♥♥下了大湿地来作为结婚礼物
Buying Big Muddy for you as a wedding present!
还好吗 吉姆
Hello, Jim.
我一直在找你
I’ve been looking for you.
我想和你谈谈关于大湿地的事情
I wanted to talk to you about the Big Muddy.
我希望是个与我无关的问题
I hoped I was free of that problem for good.
你能理解我当初买♥♥下这块地
I bought it on the understanding
是想作为结婚礼物送给帕特
that it would be a wedding present for Pat.
我不希望让它变成一个虚假的借口
I don’t want to keep it under false pretences.
吉姆 你在犯一个错误 你会后悔的
Jim, you’re making a mistake you’re gonna regret.
我了解帕特 她很大方 敏感
I know Pat. She’s generous, sensitive…
有点点紧张 容易情绪波动
a little high-strung, maybe.
可是一旦你得到她 让她离开 她父亲的影响
Once you get her…get her away from her father’s influence…
她会成为一个出色的妻子
she’s got the makings of a wonderful wife.
在我看来
Well, it seems to me
当一个男人远离他熟悉的生活
that when a man uproots his life
经过两千英里的路来到这里
and travels 2000 miles…
他的心中一定充满了最真的爱
he must be very much in love.
你怎么能因为一个愚蠢的误解就改变你的想法
How can you change your mind after one silly misunderstanding?
它远比这更深
It goes much deeper than that.
一切都结束了
It’s finished.
对不起
I’m sorry.
我真不明白
I guess I’ve been conducting a class on something
我猜我再说什么也没用了
I don’t know very much about.
帕特很幸运有你这样的朋友
Pat’s very lucky to have you for a friend.
现在
Now…
可以谈谈大湿地的事了
What about the Big Muddy?
你要让我把它收回来吗
Do you want me to take it back?
不 我要保留它 去那里开垦
No, I want to keep it. Work it.
把牧场建立起来
Build it up.
我想在那片土地上有些作为
I’d like to go ahead and have the deed recorded.
好的
All right.
谢谢你 朱莉
Thanks, Julie.
请进
Come in.
帕特
Pat.
请进
Come in.
你为什么不坐下 我认为这是把可靠的椅子
Won’t you sit down? I think this is the safest chair.
谢谢 我不能留下 我来只是把枪还给你
Thanks, but I can’t stay. I just came to return these pistols.
少校认为应该把这个还给你
The major felt that you should have them back.
他们是一个礼物 我想这是属于他的
They were a gift. I want him to have them.
吉姆 我 我不能再假装骄傲和礼貌的态度
Jim, I…I can’t pretend to be proud and polite any longer.
他们不是我来的原因
They’re not why I came.
从我决定来到时候它们就不是理由
I didn’t even think of them till I had my hat on.
你说过你想要考虑一些事情
You said that you wanted to think things over.
想好了吗
Have you?
是的
Yes.
但我不认为这会解决我们之间矛盾 帕特
I don’t think it’ll work out between us, Pat.
吉姆 你不能这么说
Oh, Jim, you can’t mean that.
我知道我错了
I know I’ve been wrong.
我说那些话很傻
I’ve been silly and stupid and…
但你不知道吗
But can’t you see?
在那两天可怕的日子里我有多么的担心你
Those two dreadful days and nights of worrying about you.
我都不敢想 我都不知道该怎么办
I couldn’t think. I was out of my mind.
如果你还记得你对我意味着什么
If only you’d remembered how much you mean to me.
你只要告诉我 向我解释清楚
If only you’d told me, explained to me…
你让我解释的机会并不多 帕特
You didn’t give me much of a chance, Pat.
你只想看着我去决斗
You were all so determined to see me fight.
但那在这里意味着很多事情 如果我知道