所以我才请他和他妻子
That’s why I asked him and his wife to go out
今天晚上和我们一起出来
with us this evening.
我想那应该会对我有好处
I think it ought to have a very healthy effect on me.
一旦我认识她 我
Once I get to know her, I…
我肯定就能停止这样的傻事
Well, I’m sure I’ll stop being silly about the whole thing.
我们不需要担心那孩子
We don’t need to worry about that child.
她能照顾她自己
She can take care of herself.
她是那么认为的
That’s what she thinks.
-晚上好 -晚上好
-Good evening. -Good evening.
-你认识我父亲 -史蒂芬森先生
-You know my father. -Mr. Stephenson.
很高兴再次见到你
Nice to see you again.
-来一杯 -谢谢
-Have a drink? -Thank you.
我和你父亲打过高尔夫球
I’ve, uh, played a lot of golf with your father.
你回来后去过俱乐部吗
Yes, I know. Been to the club since you got back?
-我还没来得及 -艾尔 我们要迟到了
-Haven’t had a chance. -Come on, we’ll be late.
-是的 -晚安
-Right. -Good night.
-晚安 -玩得愉快 孩子们
-Night. -Well, have a good time, children.
谢谢
Thank you.
替我向弗莱德问好
Give, uh, my best to Fred.
艾尔 快点
Al, come on.
是 弥尔顿先生
Yes, Mr. Milton.
-你好 佩吉 -哦 伍迪 别做讨厌鬼
-Hello, Peggy. -Oh, Woody, don’t be a bore.
我们要迟到了
Come on, we’ll be late.
我们的国家今天也必须 坚持它一直以来坚持的
Our country must stand today where it has always stood…
个人主动性的大本营
…the citadel of individual initiative…
给每个人提供无穷机会的土地
…the land of unlimited opportunity for all.
这是一个特别合适的机会 我们今晚聚在这儿
It is peculiarly appropriate that we meet here tonight…
欢迎一位为了自♥由♥而英勇战斗的人
…to honor one who has valiantly fought for that freedom.
女士们 先生们 我们欢迎我们的朋友
Ladies and gentlemen, we greet our friend…
我们的同事 我们的英雄 艾尔·史蒂芬森
…our coworker, our hero, Al Stephenson.
快点 站起来 艾尔 站起来
Come on, on your feet, Al. On your feet.
女士们 先生们 我非常高兴能在这里
Ladies and gentlemen, I’m very happy to be here.
事实上 我非常高兴在任何地方
In fact, I’m very happy to be anywhere.
事实上 我非常高兴
In fact, I’m very happy.
也许那样最好 如果你能把那瓶子
Uh, perhaps it’d be a good idea if you just put that bottle…
放在这儿的话
…right down here in front of me, hmm?
-可以省得你自己跑来跑去 -老艾尔
-Here, save yourself quite a number of trips. -Heh, good old Al.
我很高兴看到你们都很好地度过了难关
And I’m glad to see you’ve all pulled through so well.
正如弥尔顿先生刚刚精彩的发言
As Mr. Milton so perfectly expressed it,
我们的国家今天所坚持的
our country stands today…
今天所坚持的 正是它一直所坚持的
…where it stands today. Wherever that is.
我肯定你们都会同意我
And I’m sure you’d all agree with me…
如果我说
…if I said that now’s the time for
现在是时间停止这些废话
all of us to stop all this nonsense…
面对现实 解决实际问题
…face facts, get down to brass tacks,
忘掉战争 去钓鱼
forget about the war, and go fishing.
但我不那么说
But I’m not gonna say it.
我只想把所有的事情总结成一句话
I’m just going to sum the whole thing up in one word.
我妻子认为我最好不要把它总结成那样一句话
My wife doesn’t think I’d better sum it up in that one word.
我作为一个士兵成功的原因
I wanna tell you that the reason for my success as a sergeant…
主要归功于我在康贝尔特
…is due primarily to my previous training
信贷公♥司♥以前接受的培训
in the Corn Belt Loan and Trust Company.
我把以前在老银行里学到的知识
The knowledge I acquired in the good old bank…
应用到我在部队里遇到问题上
…I applied to my problems in the infantry.
比方说 有一天在冲绳岛 一个少校说
For instance, in Okinawa, a major comes to me.he says…
“你看见那个山头了吗”
…”Stephenson, you see that hill?”
“是的 先生 我看到了”
“Yes, sir. I see it.”
“好的”他说
“All right,” he Said.
“你和你的排要去进攻那个山头并拿下它”
“You and your platoon will attack said hill and take it.”
于是我说
So I said to the major,
“但那个行动 有很多值得考虑的风险”
“But, uh, that operation involves considerable risk.
“我们没有足够的担♥保♥”
We haven’t sufficient collateral.”
“我知道那个”
“I’m aware of that,”
少校说
said the major,
“但你是要去负责那个的人”
…and you are the guys who are going to take it.”
于是我对他说
So I said to him,
“对不起 少校 没有担♥保♥ 没有山头”
“I’m sorry, major. No collateral, no hill.”
所以我们没有能拿下那个山头 我们输掉了战争
So we didn’t take the hill, and we lost the war.
呃 我想这个小故事 有相当多的意义
Uh, I think that, uh, little story has considerable significance.
但是我 我已经忘了它是讲什么的了
But I’ve, uh, forgotten what it is.
呃 现在 作为总结
Uh, and now, in conclusion,
我愿意告诉你们一个幽默的奇闻
I’d like to tell you a humorous anecdote.
我知道许多幽默的奇闻
I know several humorous anecdotes…
但我想不出办法把它们整理清楚
…but I can’t think of any way to clean them up.
所以我只说这么多
So I’ll only say this much.
我热爱康贝尔特信贷公♥司♥
I love the Corn Belt Loan and Trust Company.
有人说老银行变得
There are some who say that the old bank is …
越来越冷血
…suffering from hardening of the arteries and of the heart.
我拒绝相信这种胡说八道
I refuse to listen to such radical talk.
我要说我们的银行是活着的 是慷慨的 是
I say that our bank is alive, it’s generous, it’s…
人性的
It’s human!
我们会有这样排长队的顾客
And we’re going to have such a line of customers…
他们寻求得到小♥额♥贷♥款♥
…seeking and getting small loans…
有人会认为我们是在拿储户的钱赌博
…that people will think we’re gambling with the depositors’ money.
而我们就是的
And we will be.
我们赌的就是这个国家的未来
We’ll be gambling on the future of this country.
谢谢你们
I thank you.
伍迪 我不能再吃了 我们坐下吧
Oh, Woody, I can’t take it anymore. Let’s sit down.
我们出不去 我被卡住了
We can’t get out. I’m trapped.
-你好 呕 -哈 哈
-How do you do? Ow. -Ha, ha.
对不起
Beg your pardon.
嗯 不管怎么说 我们不能降落
Well, anyway, we can’t fall down.
-那张桌子满意吗 -一切都很可爱
-Is that table satisfactory? -Everything. Everything’s lovely.
非常感谢 你们愿意现在点吗
Thank you very much. Would you care to order now?
对不起
Sorry.
-我不理解 -什么
-Oh, I can’t understand it. -What?
你为什么不为我发狂 我认为我很诱人
Why you’re not mad about me. I think I’m attractive.
你是的 伍迪 你是令人无法抗拒的
You are, Woody. You’re irresistible.
那你为什么还要抵挡我
Then why do you go on resisting me?
不是所有婚姻都像那个样子的
You know, all marriages don’t have to be like that one.
-哪一个 -你的朋友们 弗莱德和玛丽
-Which one? -Your friends, Fred and Marie.
他们的婚姻有什么问题
What’s wrong with their marriage?
没什么 除了一点小细节
Oh, there’s nothing wrong, except for one slight detail.
他们彼此不喜欢对方
Heh, they just don’t like each other.
那简直是在跳舞地板上的谋杀 太可怕了
Oh, it’s murder on the dance floor. Oh, it’s awful.
你不想再跳了
You mean you don’t wanna dance anymore?
很想 你不介意我借用一下他吧
Oh, I’d love to. You don’t you mind if I borrow him for a while?
不 完全不介意
No, not at all.
你为什么要这么做 佩吉
Why did you do this, Peggy?
做什么 你指什么
Do what? What do you mean?
给玛丽打电♥话♥ 像这样出来
Calling up Marie and going out like this.
一起
Together.
-我故意这么做的 -为什么
-I did it deliberately. -Why?
向我自己证明今天下午发生的一切
To prove to myself that what happened
其实并没有发生
this afternoon didn’t really happen.
但它确实发生了
But it did happen.
它肯定会发生
It had to happen.
如果我们继续看着对方 佩吉 它还会再发生
And if we go on seeing each other, Peggy, it’ll happen again.
对不起
Excuse us.
对不起 对不起
Excuse me. Excuse me.
我们想在几分钟之后照张照片
Oh, we wanna have a picture taken over there in a few minutes, huh?
好的 我会来这儿
Fine, I’ll be there.
对不起
Excuse me.
收到我宝贝的一封信
Got a letter from my baby
你好 玛丽
Hello, Marie.
晚上好
Good evening.
你最好自己小心 许多的狼
You gotta watch yourself in this town. More wolves.
-我知道 -我不会注意那些像征的
-I know. -I pay no attention to the sign.
进去
Go right in, ha, ha.
吉 伍迪是一个可爱的男孩
Gee, Woody’s a cute boy. He’s a lot of fun.