在郊区 总之
…in the suburbs, anyway.
那是你在国外时候会有的 荒谬的梦想
That’s the cockeyed kind of dream you have when you’re overseas.
你不需要去国外做那样的梦
You don’t have to be overseas to have dreams like that.
是的
Yeah.
你可以在家里也得到疯狂的主意
You can get crazy ideas right here at home.
你必须两点回去工作吗
Didn’t you say you had to be back at work at 2?
是的
Yeah.
嗯 你是不是最好
Well, hadn’t you better…?
是的 请结♥帐♥
Yeah. Uh, check, please.
午餐一份是85美分 加上税
Eighty-five cents apiece for lunch, plus tax,
一共是1.76美元
that’s a $1.76.
好的
Okay.
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
-再见 -再见
-Goodbye. -Bye.
再见 小姐 欢迎再来
Goodbye, signorina. Come again.
我们会来的 再见
We’ll do that. So long, Giuseppe.
再见
Arrivederci, Fred.
嗯
Well…
那不应该发生的
That shouldn’t have happened.
但我想它一定会
But I guess it had to.
-再见 佩吉 -再见
-Goodbye, Peggy. -Goodbye.
我们在谈论给这个人的贷款
We were discussing this loan to this man, uh…
他叫什么名字
What’s his name?
诺瓦克
Novak.
是的 是的 我批准的
Yes, yes, I approved it.
我可以问一句吗 艾尔 依据什么
Well, may I ask, Al, on what basis?
依据我自己的判断
On the basis of my own judgment.
诺瓦克看起来像是一个好的客户
-Novak looked to me like a good bet.
但那个人没有抵押 没有担♥保♥
But the man has no collateral, no security.
明显地 你在他身上看到了些东西
Evidently, you saw something in this man.
是的 弥尔顿先生
Yes, Mr. Milton.
-那是什么 -安全
-What was it? -Security.
抵押
Collateral.
在军队里 我和那些被剥夺了
Mr. Milton, in the Army I’ve had to be with men…
所有财产的人在一起
…when they were stripped of everything…
除了那些他们带在身上的
…in the way of property except
和内在的东西
what they carried around with them and inside them.
我看到他们受到考验
I saw them being tested.
一些人经受住了 而另一些经受不住
Some of them stood up to it and some didn’t.
但你能知道 哪些人是你可以信赖的
But you got so you could tell which ones you could count on.
我告诉你 这个诺瓦克是可靠的
I tell you, this man Novak is okay.
他的”抵押”就在他手里 在他心里 在他胆量里
His collateral is in his hands, in his heart, in his guts.
在他作为一个公民的权利里
In his right as a citizen.
没人能否认他的权利
Nobody’s denying him his rights.
我们能 如果我们拒绝了他的机会
Oh, yes, we are. If we deny him his chance to work in his own way.
先生们 没必要提高我们的嗓音
Gentlemen, there’s no need to raise our voices.
当然 既然你已经批准了贷款
Of course, since you’ve approved the loan,
这个意外就结束了
the incident is closed.
但是 将来 艾尔
However, in the future, Al…
是的 我理解 弥尔顿先生
Yes, I understand, Mr. Milton.
将来我一定会更加小心的
In the future, I must exercise more caution.
谢谢 普鲁先生
Thank you, Mr. Prew.
艾尔 呃
AI, uh…
艾尔 你知道我是如何看待你的 一向如此
Al, you know how I feel about you and always have.
嗯 我总是把你看成是家庭里的一员
Why, I’ve always considered you one of the family,
所以才这么说
so to speak.
就像我自己的 亲弟弟一样
Like my own s… Younger brother.
我个人把你提拔到这个位置上
I picked you personally for this job,
我知道你能做好
and I know you’ll make good.
我们也希望
And we do. We have every desire…
能向那些回国的老兵
…to extend a helping hand to returning veterans…
尽一切可能提供帮助
…whenever possible.
但我们都必须记住 这不是我们的钱
But we must all remember that this is not
我们不能施舍
our money we’re doling out.
它属于我们的储户 我们不能拿它赌博
It belongs to our depositors and we can’t gamble with it.
我记住了 弥尔顿先生
I’ll remember, Mr. Milton.
我们7:30在联合俱乐部见
We’ll meet at the Union Club at 7:30.
替我向你迷人的妻子问好
And, uh, give my best to your charming wife.
谢谢 弥尔顿先生
Thank you, Mr. Milton.
-你好 -哦 你好
-Hello. -Oh, hello.
快点穿衣服 穿上你的新西装
Say, better hurry and get dressed. And wear your new suit.
我们要去大使♥馆♥俱乐部吃晚餐
We’re going out to dinner at the Embassy Club.
别担心 一分钱也不用花 我们被邀请了
Oh, don’t worry, it won’t cost a nickel. We got invited.
-谁邀请了我们 -佩吉·史蒂芬森小姐
-Who invited us? -Ms. Peggy Stephenson.
她打电♥话♥过来
She called up a little while ago
说她父亲是你的一个朋友
and said her father was a friend of yours.
她听起来像一个很好的孩子
She sounded like a nice kid.
她要和一个男朋友约会
She’s going with some boyfriend of hers…
要我们作陪 当客人
…and asked us to come on a double date, as guests.
-你告诉她我们要去吗 -我的确答应了
-You told her we could go? -You bet I did.
嗯 给她打电♥话♥告诉她我们去不了
Well, call her up and tell her we can’t go.
告诉她我有另一个约会
Tell her I made another engagement. Tell her anything.
那么 这个佩吉·史蒂芬森是谁
Say, who is this Peggy Stephenson?
-她是一个女孩 -我知道她不是袋鼠
-She’s a girl. -I didn’t think she was a kangaroo.
你在哪儿认识她的
Where did you meet her?
我回来的那天晚上
I told you, the night I got back and you weren’t here.
艾尔 史蒂芬森 和他妻子带我去他们家
Al Stephenson and his wife took me home.
她是他们的女儿 我以前从没有见过她
She’s their daughter. I’d never seen her before.
还是自从
Or since?
如果你想从这里面发现什么东西
If you think you’re gonna make anything out of this,
你肯定会失望的
you’re due for a disappointment.
我只是不喜欢接受施舍
I just don’t like accepting handouts when we’re broke.
你最好习惯那个
Well, you’d better get used to it.
因为我们没法靠你的
Because I don’t see how we’re gonna get much fun
一周32.50块生活
on your 32.50 a week.
-站住 -唔
-Hold still. -Mm.
你可能必须做一个演讲
You’ll probably have to make a speech.
我的计划是通过喝得醉醺醺地 来解决那种情况
It’s my plan to meet that situation by getting well plastered.
佩吉要和伍迪·麦瑞尔出去
Peggy’s going out dancing with Woody Merrill.
-他是谁 -你认识的 比尔·麦瑞尔的儿子
-Who’s he? -You know, Bill Merrill’s son.
哦 是的 好人家 麦瑞尔一家 严格的顶信
Oh, yeah. Fine people, the Merrills. Strictly TCR.
-那是什么意思 -顶级信用
-What’s that? -Top credit rating.
-他的意图良好吗 -我很怀疑
-Are his intentions honorable? -I doubt it.
但弗莱德·代瑞和他妻子
But they’re going to be properly chaperoned
会陪同他们
by Fred Derry and his wife.
弗莱德·代瑞 哈 陪同
Fred Derry? Ha. Some chaperone.
-我想她为他着迷 -谁 麦瑞尔
-I think she’s crazy about him. -Who, Merrill?
不 弗莱德
No, Fred.
你有证据支持那种奇怪的说法吗
Have you got any evidence to support that amazing statement?
-只是一种预感 -哦
-Just a hunch. -Oh.
但我的预感很准
But my hunches are pretty good.
-啊 鸡尾酒 -不 不行
-Ah, cocktails. -Oh, no, you don’t.
这是我为伍迪·麦瑞尔做的
I made this for Woody Merrill, he’s coming to pick me up.
你当然不会拒绝在这样一个
Surely you wouldn’t deny your poor old father
寒冷的夜里给你父亲一小杯
a drop on a cold night like this.
我会的 如果我能够
I would if I could.
-我听说你要见弗莱德 嗯 -是的
-I hear you’re gonna see Fred, hmm? -Yes.
他妻子长什么样
What’s his wife like?
我不知道 我以后告诉你
I don’t know. I’ll tell you later.
他们要在联合俱乐部喝鸡尾酒
They’ll have cocktails at the Union Club.
我知道和蔼的弥尔顿夫人提供
I know the kind Mrs. Milton serves.
粉色的 甜的和恶心的
Pink, sweet and nauseating.
我刚在问佩吉关于弗莱德的妻子
I was just asking Peggy about Fred’s wife.
别介意 妈妈 我知道你们在想什么
Never mind, Mom. I know what you’re both thinking.
我们在想什么
What are we thinking?
你们怕我会爱上弗莱德
You’re afraid I may be in love with Fred.
-啊 我从来也没这么想过 -闭嘴 艾尔
-Why, I never had any such id… -Shut up, Al.
你爱上他了吗
Are you in love with him?
是的
Yes.
但我不想这样
But I don’t want to be.