我记得他在联合抵♥制♥期间一直处于失业
I remember he kept losin’ jobs during them boycotts.
对此依他旧很恼火
Still pretty sore about it.
跟你说 我不喜欢他那胡子
I don’t like that mustache, tell you what.
行吧 厄尔·威克斯
All right. Earl Weeks.
他 他是我们这边的
He’s… He’s with us.
你怎么知道
How do you know?
从我小时候起他就在我的教堂做执事
He been a deacon at my church since I was a kid.
他谁都不喜欢
He don’t like nobody.
那他是个好人 搞定两个了
That’s a good man. Two for two.
这个叫马蒂·梅斯的姑娘会是个问题
Okay, we gonna have an issue with this gal Maddy Mays.
就是窗边那个金发女郎
The blonde over by the window.
是的 她是个护士
Yeah, she’s a nurse.
是的 在德罕诊所工作
Yeah, over at Durham Clinic.
她人缘很好 我认为需要担心这个人
Real “people person.” I think that’s one to worry about.
最后是李·特朗布利
Last is Lee Trombley.
特朗布利五金店
Trombley Hardware.
就在九号♥公路上
Off of Route Nine.
我们知道些什么
What do we know?
我不了解他 C.P.
I don’t know ’bout him, C.P.
他可能会是个问题
Might be a problem there.
他父亲去世后 他接下了店里的生意
He took over after his daddy passed.
我觉得他是个顾家的人 有两个孩子
Family man, two kids, I think.
还有呢
And?
为他工作的人都是黑鬼
Everybody that works for him is a nigger.
每一个
Every one.
他们都亲密无间
And they all thick as thieves.
我想是时候熟悉一下李·特朗布利了
All right, I guess it’s time we get acquainted with Lee Trombley.
有什么需要吗 先生
Can I help you, sir?
李在这吗
Uh… Lee around?
不 先生 他现在不在
No, sir. He’s not here right now.
不过我是经理
But I’m the manager.
有什么我能帮您的吗
Something I can help you with?
不用
Uh, no. Um…
我改天再来吧
I’ll come back another time.
好
Okay.
有什么想法 见解吗
Any thoughts, uh, insights?
不用举手 马蒂
You don’t have to raise your hand, Maddy.
我觉得 很高兴看到人们能聊一聊
I think it’s nice to see people talking for once.
那不是聊天 是吼叫
That ain’t talkin’. It’s yellin’.
好吧 是争论
Well, okay. It’s arguing.
但是人们在互相倾听 他们真的有听
But people are listening to one another. They really are.
他们在争论 我都听了好几天了
They’re arguing. I’ve been listening to it for days,
仍旧没人能提出来说
and still no one’s answered how
学校合并怎么能帮到我的孩子
integration’s gonna help my kids.
-这肯定不会伤害到他们 -这肯定会
– It sure can’t hurt ’em. – It sure as hell can.
-我想知道如何会 -其一
– I’d like to know how. – Well, for one,
我不想让我女儿在班里坐在黑人男孩旁边
I don’t want my daughter sitting next to a Negro boy in class.
我不想让她在黑人旁边吃饭
I don’t want her eatin’ next to one,
也不想让她在学校和黑人男孩跳舞
and don’t want her being at a school dance with one.
所以 你关心你女儿
So, you care about your daughter?
你不想看她受到伤害
And you don’t want to see her get hurt.
你想说什么
What’s your point?
我想说 这就是我们为人父母所做的
My point is that is what we do as parents.
他们小的时候
When they’re little,
我们尽量不让他们碰到炉子
we try to keep them from touching the stove
他们就不会烧伤
so they don’t burn.
我们教他们小口吃东西
We teach them to take small bites
他们就不会噎到
so they don’t choke.
我们担心他们第一天上学
We worry about their first day at school,
第一次开车
the first time they drive a car,
第一份工作
their very first job.
我们想让他们免受我们所经历的痛苦
See, we want them to avoid the pain that we experienced.
好了 好了
All right. All right.
我们是要坐成一圈 手拉着手
We all gonna sit around, hold hands,
唱丢手绢吗
sing “Kumbaya”?
我们知道你想干什么 霍华德
We see what you’re doing, Howard.
我想干什么 C.P.
And what is that, C.P.?
你想说黑人和白人没有区别 对吗
That there’s no difference between blacks and whites, right?
因为我们都担心我们的孩子
‘Cause we all worry about our kids.
我们都一样 对吧
We’re all the same, right?
事实上 不是的 C.P.
Actually, no, C.P.
我们不一样
We’re not.
我之前有所保留
See, I left some things out.
我隐瞒了黑人们
I left out that black folks have
在承受着另一系列的不同的痛苦
a whole different menu of pain to worry about.
我们的孩子会被无缘无故的唾弃
Our kids get spit on for no reason.
我们的孩子不得不在人行道上给白人让路
Our kids have to move on the sidewalk to let white folks pass,
不然就会挨打
or they get beat.
我们的孩子不允许在他们想坐的地方坐着
Our kids aren’t allowed to sit where they want,
在他们想玩儿的地方玩儿
play where they want,
去他们想去的学校上学
go to school where they want.
看 这是他们每天都会经历的痛苦
See, this is the pain they experience every day
而我们 我们无法
that we, we can’t…
无法让他们免受这些
can’t spare them from.
这是一种
And that is a…
是一种无助的感觉
It’s a helpless feeling.
一种你永远不会明白的无助的感觉
A more helpless feeling than you could ever know.
-我正好掉进了他挖的坑 -是啊
– I fell right into that one. – Yeah.
-靠 -你看到特朗布利的表情了吗
– Shit! – Did you see Trombley’s face?
-昨晚你找特朗布利了吗 -他没在
– Did you get anywhere with Trombley last night? – He wasn’t there.
不过他们说的对 他找了个黑人经理
They were right, though. He got a black manager.
好吧 那我们去哪儿找他
Well, where we gonna get him, then?
就现在 午饭的时候我们围堵他
Right now. We gonna crowd him at lunch.
好 大家听好了
Okay. Everybody listen up.
我们今天要尝试一些不同的做法
We’re going to be trying something different today.
这间餐厅的每个座位上都有名牌
There are name cards at each seat in this lunchroom.
剩下的研讨会期间 这就是你的座位
This will be your seat for the rest of the charrette.
你不能移♥动♥你的名牌
You may not move your name card.
你猜对了 坐在你旁边的那个人
And you guessed it, the person sitting next to you
和你不会是同种肤色
will not be the same color as you.
-啥 -还有
– What? – And…
还有 在这一小时内不得讨论任何议题
And no discussion of issues during this hour.
聊点别的吧
Talk about something else.
真是难以下咽
I just can’t do it. Mm-mm.
这鱼棒真是干啊
These fish sticks is dry.
即使我们改变不了其他事
If we can’t change anything else,
我们肯定可以要求学校的饭菜好一些
we can sure demand better school lunches, huh?
我们不该谈论议题
We’re not supposed to talk about issues.
我想你说的对
I guess you’re right.
霍华德
Howard…
霍华德刚才在会上说错了 对吧
Howard was wrong in there, weren’t he?
错了吗
Wrong?
我是说 他说的黑人孩子的经历没有错
Well, I mean, he weren’t wrong about what black kids go through.
但是
But…
他说你不知道什么是无助是错的 对吧
He was wrong about you not knowing what helpless is, weren’t he?
什么意思
What does that mean?
你有个儿子在默多克是吧 C.P.
You got a boy out at Murdock, don’t you, C.P.?
-我不想聊这个 -我只是想试着
– I don’t wanna talk about that. – I’m just trying…
安 别谈论我儿子
Ann, don’t talk about my son.
-永远不要谈论我儿子 -好的
– Don’t ever talk about my son. – Okay.
随着指导委员会的研讨会进入第二周
出于好奇 与会人员似乎在逐渐增多
议会等待研讨会定案
我们愿意去上暑期班
We’re willing to go to summer school,
甚至是晚课 只要能赶上白人学生
even nights, just to catch up with the white students.
上帝从来没有打算让黑人享有平等的权利
Good Lord never intended for blacks to have equal rights.
爸爸 怎么了 怎么了 甜心
Daddy! What’s wrong? What’s wrong, sugar?
拉里出事了
It’s Larry.
怎么回事
What’s goin’ on?
这是谁
Who is this?
阿尔文 他周五搬进来的
Alvin. He moved in Friday.
嘿 小南瓜