We were in Vietnam together.
-是吗 你参加过越战吗 -是啊
– Oh. You were in Vietnam? – Yeah.
两次出战 68年退役的
Two tours. Got out in ’68.
你呢
You?
没有 我
No. No, I…
没参加
No.
好吧
Yeah.
好吧 埃利斯先生 我知道你是谁
Well, look, Mr. Ellis, I know who you are.
知道你找我想干嘛
And I know what you want from me.
-但是我不能 -不是 李
– But I just don’t… – No, no, Lee.
任何为国家服务的英勇军人
Any man who served bravely in this country’s military
都不需要听我来唠叨什么
doesn’t need to hear anything more from me.
你随你的心意投票
You vote how you want to.
我尊重你的选择
I’ll respect it.
埃利斯先生
Mr. Ellis?
埃米特也为国家服务过
Emmett served this country, too.
他比我勇敢的多
And he was a lot braver than me.
好了 大家 最后一天了
All right, folks. For our last day,
我们要去进行实地考察
I thought we’d go on a little field trip.
-去哪啊 -周一晚上就要投票了
– Where to? – You gotta vote Monday night.
我觉得实地考察一下过去几周讨论的地方
I think it’s important we get a firsthand look
对我们决策很有帮助
at what we’ve been talkin’ about the past few weeks.
我知道你们已经很累了 这是最后一处
I know it’s been a long day, but this is the last one.
请大家小心脚下
Please be careful. Watch your step.
-这里也没有好到哪去 -一团糟
– Ain’t no better over here. – It’s a mess.
他们为了放味道 所以门一直开着
They gotta keep the doors open because of the smell.
-我猜是这样 -有点用
– I imagine so. – It helps.
暑期班的学生有点多啊
Lot of kids for summer school.
这不是暑期班 C.P.
Uh… That ain’t summer school, C.P.
这些学生上学期的课还没有结束
They still tryin’ to finish up from last year.
由于着火之后的轮流分批上课
Yes, because of the split shifts after the fire,
这些学生每天就只有
the students were really only getting
大概三小时的上课时间
about three hours of schooling per day.
所以 他们还在赶进度
So, they’re still catching up.
你怎么样啊 收到我给你寄的鞋了吗
Hey, how you doin’? Did you get them shoes I sent you?
妈妈
Mama!
这是你女儿吗
Hey. Oh, this your girl?
玛丽琳 这位是埃利斯先生
Marilynn, this here is, uh, Mr. Ellis.
好了 我得赶紧去上课
Well, I better get to class.
她看我的样子就像在看怪物一样
She looked at me like I was some kind of monster.
不然你以为呢
What’d you expect?
不知道 我做的都是为我们好
I don’t know. I’m trying to do right by us.
让事情变好
Make it all better.
这怎么能让事情变好呢
And how’s this gonna make it all better?
老天 我
Hell, I’m…
他们想要合并餐厅 我们合并了
They wanted to integrate restaurants. So we did.
然后是公交车 卫生间和游乐场
Then came buses and bathrooms and playgrounds.
你看 我现在在那边
Look, I’m over there right now
扶持基金给他们建更好的学校
supporting more funding to make their schools better.
如果他们的学校改善了
If they have nicer schools, they’ll…
他们就不会非要跟我们合并了
…stop pushin’ to integrate ours.
我们只剩下学校了
The one thing we have left.
也许那时候我们就不会争斗了
Then maybe we’ll all stop fighting.
然后呢 你要怎么做呢
Then what you gonna do?
什么
What?
所有人都不争斗的时候 你去斗谁呢
When everybody stops fighting, who you gonna fight?
3K党领袖视察
黑人学校
来了
Okay. Coming.
有什么事吗
Can I help you?
你好 安
Hi, Ann. Um…
我叫玛丽·埃利斯 克莱伯恩的妻子
I’m Mary Ellis. Claiborne’s wife.
抱歉突然造访
I’m sorry for just dropping by. I, um…
我只是想谢谢你 感谢你
I wanted to thank you for, um, what you did
为我的家庭和儿子拉里做的事情
for our family, for our son Larry.
请进来吧
Please, come in.
-谢谢 -请进
– Thanks. – Go on in.
-希望你喜欢甜茶 -我喜欢
– Hope you like sweet tea. – I do.
所以拉里好一些了吗
So Larry is doing better, huh?
是的
He is.
你知道 有时很难
You know, sometimes it’s hard to…
让他冷静下来
keep him calm.
那么 拉里一直是那个样子吗
Well, has, uh… has Larry always been like that?
是的
Yeah.
他小的时候 发现
You know, when he was little, it just…
他开始有些事情做不了
He started not to be able to do things.
C.P.一直是那个样子吗
Has C.P. always been like that?
是的
Yes.
差不多吧
More or less.
他以前是个不错的棒球员
You know, he used to be a really good baseball player.
-真的吗 -很有前途的样子
– Really? – Showed a lot of promise.
大学的时候遇到的他
Colleges came and looked at him
就在那边的自♥由♥公园
right over here at Liberty Park.
那是我们相遇的地方
Where we met, actually.
他向我走过来 特别的紧张
Came up to me, he’s so nervous.
话都说不出来 但是特别帅
Couldn’t even talk. So handsome.
怎么了
What?
C.P. 他还帅过
C.P. handsome? Oh.
以前很帅啊
He was.
好吧
Okay.
再次谢谢你
Thank you again.
不客气
You’re welcome.
-安 -什么
– Ann… – Yes?
克莱伯恩在
Claiborne is, uh…
尽他最大的努力
He’s doing the best he can.
再见
Bye.
再见 埃利斯女士
Good-bye, Miss Ellis.
让我跟C.P.单独说会儿话
Gimme a minute with C.P., would you?
没问题 弗洛伊德
Sure thing, Floyd.
怎么说 弗洛伊德
Hey. What do you say, Floyd?
给我来一根吧
You got one of those?
看到报纸了吗
See the paper?
我什么都做不了
Nothin’ I could do about that.
我对整个研讨会无能为力
All part of this charrette business.
不对劲吧
It don’t look right.
没什么不对劲的 弗洛伊德
It don’t matter what it looks like, Floyd.
一♥码♥归一♥码♥
Matters what it is.
是吗
Oh, yeah.
你老婆跑去
Your wife making friends with
跟安·阿特沃特交朋友是怎么回事
Ann Atwater what it is?
什么
What?
几个男孩今天看到他们在一起
Couple of the boys saw ’em today.
我应该怎么跟他们解释
How am I supposed to explain that?
她为拉里做了一些事 仅此而已
She did something for Larry is all.
玛丽可能只是在感谢她
Mary was just probably thanking her.
黑鬼现在给你帮忙了吗 C.P.
Niggers is doing you favors now, C.P.?
别扯这些了 弗洛伊德
Stop with the bullshit, Floyd.
玛丽总是做她自己的事
Mary’s always gone her own way.
和我要做的事情没有关系 从未有过
Has nothin’ to do with how I do my business. Never has.
你现在还想说什么 说出来吧
Now you got something to say? Say it.
看看你的周围 C.P.
Look around you, C.P.
所有人 都敬佩你
All these guys, they look up to you.
他们需要你
They need you.
我不懂你想表达什么 我不是在这吗
I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m here, ain’t I?
-是吗 -我已经在尽我所能了
– Are you? – I’m doin’ everything I can.
特朗布利先生在吗
Hey. Is Mr. Trombley in?
-是的长官 他 -我在这
– Yes, sir. He’s… – Can I help you?
特朗布利先生
Mr. Trombley.
我们是德罕消防局和生命财产安♥全♥局♥的人
We’re from Durham Fire and Life Safety Department. Uh…
我们需要抽检这里
We’ve got a random inspection order here.
在周日吗
On a Sunday?
事情什么时候来我们就什么时候做