she’s gotta hit 70 to have any kind of chance.
是的 我知道 我知道
Yeah, I know. I know.
今天又是南加州…
It’s a beautiful day here off the coast…
美丽的一天 天气晴朗
of Southern California. Blue skies…
太阳高照
a warm sun…
每小时25英里
Twenty- five miles per hour.
海面平静 – 30英里
And a relatively calm sea… – Thirty.
35英里
Thirty- five.
有些人认为这8个引擎…
One would think these eight power…
可能会把飞机震成碎片
plants might shake the craft to pieces…
别紧张 霍华德
Take it easy, Howard.
40 – 收油门 右转180度
Forty! – Throttling back for starboard turn 1 80.
收油门 右转180度
Throttling back for starboard turn 1 80.
机组人员由4人组成
The flight crew itself consists of four men.
休斯先生在这次处♥女♥航中…
Mr. Hughes, however, has added…
增加了11名维护人员
1 1 maintenance men to this maiden taxi test…
分布在飞船的各个角落
stationed at various places throughout the ship,
检查压力和扭力的情况
checking points of stress and strain.
它听起来怎么样 欧迪?
How does she sound, Odie?
很不错 霍华德
Sounds good, Howard.
教授 – 什么?
Professor. – Yes?
能帮我个忙吗?
Would you do me a favor?
你能帮我看一下窗外
Would you take a look out that window…
告诉我风向如何吗?
and tell me what the wind is doing?
飞速大约在每小时15节
I would say that we have a 1 5- knot wind.
是不是逆风 教授?
Would you call that a headwind, professor?
是的 休斯先生
I would, Mr. Hughes.
我们必须保持沉默
We must maintain silence.
在整个过程中保持安静
We must have quiet during the proceedings.
休斯先生 你能起立发誓吗?
Mr. Hughes, will you stand and be sworn?
休斯先生 你是否收到
Mr. Hughes, did you receive…
4300万美元用于给美国空军…
$43 million to manufacture 1 00 XF- 1 1…
制♥造♥100架XF- 11型间谍侦察机?
spy planes for the United States Air Force?
是的
I did.
您最终为美国空军…
How many functional planes…
提供了几架成品?
did you deliver to the United States Air Force?
一架都没有
None.
你能否靠近一点…
Would you lean a little closer…
麦克风 先生?
to the microphones, sir?
一架都没有
None.
你是否收到1300万美元用于制♥造♥
Did you receive $1 3 million to manufacture…
大力神式飞船的原型机?
a prototype of a flying boat known as The Hercules?
是的
I did.
您交付了没有?
And did you deliver that plane?
没有
I did not.
根据你对议院所陈述的事实 休斯先生
So by your admission in this chamber, Mr. Hughes…
您曾收到超过5600万美元
you have received $56 million…
来自美国政♥府♥…
from the United States government…
没有交付甚至一架飞机
for planes you never delivered.
是的
That is correct.
请允许我提问 休斯先生…
Well, excuse me for asking, Mr. Hughes…
那些钱都跑哪去了呢?
but where did all that money go?
都投入到飞机的开♥发♥中 参议员
Well, it went into the planes, senator.
还有更多的呢
And a lot more.
更多? 请详细说明 休斯先生
More? Do tell, Mr. Hughes,
你还犯过哪些盗窃罪?
what other larcenies did you commit?
我是说 我把自己的钱投入到飞机的制♥造♥中
I mean, I put my money into the planes,
参议员 我自己的钱
senator. My money.
明白吧 问题在于我在乎…
See, the thing is that I care…
您个人的财政情况不是…
Your personal finances are not…
让他说
Let him speak.
请继续 休斯先生
Proceed, Mr. Hughes.
事情就是这样的 我非常在乎航♥空♥业
See, the thing is, I care very much about aviation.
这是我人生最大的乐趣
It has been the great joy of my life.
这也是为什么我把自己的钱投资在飞机上
That’s why I put my own money into these planes.
我已经损失了几百万 参议员
And I’ve lost millions, senator,
我还将继续损失几百万…
and I’ll go on losing millions. It’s just…
这就是我在干的事情
what I do.
尽管我让美国政♥府♥…
Now, if I’ve lost a lot of the…
损失了不少钱 但是我希望民众
government’s money during the war, I hope folks…
用一种带有远见的眼光来看待问题
will put that into perspective.
其他公♥司♥也收到超过…
More than 60 other airplanes…
60种飞机的订单
ordered from such firms as…
比如洛克希德 麦道 诺斯罗普…
Lockheed, Douglas, Northrop…
还有波音 他们也没有交付成品
and Boeing never saw action either.
政♥府♥在战争期间总共花费了8亿美元
In all, more than $800 million…
在飞不起来的飞机上
was spent during the war on planes that never flew.
超过60亿的军♥火♥…
Over 6 billion on other weapons…
从来没有被交付过
that were never delivered.
而休斯航♥空♥公♥司♥ 因为它的5600万美元
Yet Hughes Aircraft, with her 56 million…
却是唯一一家在这里被调查的公♥司♥
is the only firm under investigation here.
我不禁要猜想是针对环球航♥空♥公♥司♥本身
I cannot help but think that has a little more
还是针对那些飞不起来的飞机
to do with TWA than planes that did not fly.
你已经表明你的意思了 休斯先生
You’ve made your point, Mr. Hughes.
稍等 我还有一件事情要说
One second. I have one more thing…
向全体委员会陈述
to say here to this committee.
是和大力神有关
And that has to do with The Hercules.
现在 我的所作所为…
Now, I am supposed to be…
遭到非议
many things which are not complimentary.
我被认为是个反复无常的人
I am supposed to be capricious.
我曾经被称作花♥花♥公♥子♥
I have been called a playboy.
甚至被叫过疯子
I’ve even been called an eccentric…
但我不认为我应该…
but I do not believe that…
背负骗子的声名
I have the reputation of being a liar.
更不用说
Needless to say,
大力神将是一个里程碑
The Hercules was a monumental undertaking.
那是迄今为止最大的飞机
It is the largest plane ever built.
有五层楼那么高
It is over five stories tall…
翼展超过一个足球场
with a wingspan longer than a football field.
甚至大过一个街区
That’s more than a city block.
我把我的全部心血投入进去
Now, I put the sweat of my life into this.
我这辈子的声望都倾注于此
I got my reputation all rolled up in it.
我不止一次的声明过
I have stated several times…
如果大力神失败了…
that if The Hercules fails to fly…
我就离开这个国家再也不回来
I will leave this country and never come back.
我可是认真的
And I mean it.
布鲁斯特参议员 你可以传唤我
Now, Senator Brewster, you can subpoena me…
你可以逮捕我 甚至可以宣布…
you can arrest me, you can even claim I’ve
我垮台或者出局了
folded up and taken a run- out powder…
但是 我对这无聊的一切
but, well, I’ve had just about enough…
已经受够了 再见!
of this nonsense. Good afternoon.
我还有事情去做
I had to do it.
休斯先生 – 休斯先生
Mr. Hughes. – Mr. Hughes.
我很期待能看到大力神飞起来
I’d love to see The Hercules in the air.
谢谢 非常感谢
Thank you, thank you so much.
关掉吧
Switch it off.
听证会还没结束…
The hearings aren’t over yet.
听证会已经结束了
The hearings are over.
议会不会通过航♥空♥议案
The airline bill will be defeated in the Senate.
环球航♥空♥将开始从纽约到巴黎的航♥班♥
TWA will begin flights from New York to Paris…
然后到莫斯科 日本…
then on to Moscow, to Japan,
夏威夷 洛杉机…
to Hawaii, to Los Angeles…
再回到纽约…
to New York.
我♥操♥!
Fuck.
加大马力 – 加大马力
Power coming up. – Power coming up.
霍华德·休斯刚才提醒我们
Howard Hughes has just alerted us.
他要求每个人坚持住
He has asked everyone to hold on.
巨大的马力正在不断增加
Tremendous horsepower kicking up.
向我汇报 欧迪
Let me hear it, Odie.
每小时25英里
Twenty- five miles per hour.
30英里