in the form of hotel suites…
环球航♥空♥的股份…
TWA stock…
女伴交际费用…
female companionship.
那么我们是不是可以看作…
Now, is it possible that…
是行贿行为呢?
these could be considered bribes?
我想你可以这么叫它
I suppose you could call them that, yes.
你能否重复你刚才所说的
Would you repeat that?
我说了
I said,
你可以认为它们是行贿
I suppose you could consider them bribes, yes.
您是否打算对此进行解释 休斯先生?
Well, would you like to explain that, Mr. Hughes?
恐怕您不清楚航♥空♥业界…
I’m afraid you don’t know how…
是如何做生意的 参议员
the aviation business works, senator.
请空军的高♥官♥吃喝玩乐
See, wining and dining Air Force…
在我们这行非常普遍
dignitaries is common in our business.
因为我们都想要巨额订单
It’s because we all want the big contracts.
所以大型的航♥空♥公♥司♥都这么干
All the major aircraft companies do it.
我不知道这算不算是一个好的体制
I don’t know whether it’s a good system…
我只知道这并不是非法行为
I just know it’s not illegal.
参议员 您自己可是立法者
You, senator, you are the lawmaker.
如果你通过一项法案申明
If you pass a law that states no one can…
而不请空军的高♥官♥吃喝玩乐
entertain Air Force officers, well, hell…
那我很乐意遵守
I’d be happy to abide by it.
您简直是一派胡言
Your story is a pack of lies.
我可以轻易戳穿它们 如果可以交叉质证的话
I can tear it apart if allowed to cross- examine.
我们不会来回进行这种争论
We’re not gonna have this bickering.
对 如果您允许我开始的话…
Yes. Somewhere between two and 500…
我将会有2到500个问题
if you’ll let me get started.
如果你认为你的财富和权力
If you believe your wealth and power…
能够威胁委员会中的任何一人
can intimidate any member of this committee,
你就大错特错了
you’re mistaken.
请提交你的问题
Now submit your questions.
我尽量简单的陈述
I’ll put this very simply.
2月12日 在五月花酒店
On February 1 2th, at the Mayflower Hotel…
您有没有说过…
did you or did you not tell me…
如果我把环球航♥空♥卖♥♥给泛美航♥空♥…
that if I were to sell TWA to Pan Am…
整个调查事件就将结束?
that this entire investigation would be called off?
没有 我已经再三提醒你
I did not. And I have asked you…
用书面的形式提交你的问题
to submit your questions in writing.
您和胡安·特里普认识多久了?
How long have you known Juan Trippe?
我认识他有段日子了
I’ve known him for some time now.
这算什么问题?
And that’s not the question.
他是否资助了2万美元
Is it not true that Juan donated $20,000…
在您上一次的选举活动中?
to your last campaign?
我的意思是 他曾告诉我 您是为他工作的
I mean, he spoke to me as if you worked for him.
我与他保持着私人的友谊…
I have a personal friendship with…
您是否享受着泛美航♥空♥的…
Is it true you accept free Pan Am…
全球免费机票…
tickets to circle the globe…
以换取您提出的航♥空♥共同体法案?
in support of your C.A.B. bill?
不 事实不是这样
No, it is not true.
那么 谁起草的法案 参议员?
Well, who wrote that bill, senator?
航♥空♥共同体法案到底是由谁起草的呢?
Who actually wrote the C.A.B. bill?
真的是您起草的吗?
The actual words. Did you write them?
这不是进行…
This is not how these hearings…
这次听证会的目的
are gonna be conducted.
我带来了 也许我可以提醒您
I have it. Maybe it’ll refresh your memory.
S- 987号♥法案 民用航♥空♥法修正案
“Bill S- 987 to amend the Civil Aeronautics Act.”
您向参议院提起这项法案
Now, you introduced this bill to the Senate.
长篇大论…
A lot of words.
全都是您写的吗?
You write all of them?
你曾经写过其中的任何一条吗 参议员? – 听着
Did you write any of them, senator? – Now, look…
整个议案根本就是…
Now, this entire bill was…
泛美航♥空♥行政人员起草…
written by Pan Am executives…
就是为了让…
and designed to give that airline…
泛美垄断国际航线
a monopoly on international travel.
你为了他们的利益
You’ve been flogging this bill…
而到全世界宣传这个法案 对不对?
all around the world on their behalf, have you not?
我具有…
I have duties that take me…
走访各国的责任
all over the world, Mr. Hughes.
一个缅因州的参议员…
Well, what the hell does a senator…
跑去秘鲁干什么?
from Maine need to visit Peru for?
为我们的贸易商品寻求出口
I was seeking outlets for our trade goods.
他们要买♥♥大批的龙虾 对吗?
Buy a lot of lobsters down there, do they?
参议员 在最近的三个月内
Senator, how many times have you visited…
您去过多少次
Trippe’s office in New York…
特里普在纽约的办公室?
in the last three months?
需要我提醒您吗 参议员?
Would you like me to tell you, senator?
够了 扯的太远了
All right, this has gone on long enough.
胡安是一个安分守己的美国公民
Juan is a great American.
他的公♥司♥为美国航♥空♥业…
His airline has advanced the cause…
服务了数十年
of commercial aviation for decades.
胡安 特里普是个爱国者
Juan Trippe is a patriot.
胡安·特里普不是一个…
Juan Trippe is not a man…
眼里只有钱的人
who is interested in making money.
我想他的股票持有者…
Well, I’m sure his stockholders…
恐怕都乐坏了
would be happy to hear that.
全体肃静…
We’re gonna clear this room.
这里是詹姆斯·麦克纳马拉为您带来
This is James McNamara speaking to you…
关于休斯那2000吨♥重的飞船的报道
from the Hughes 2000- ton flying boat…
世界上最大的飞机
the world’s largest aircraft.
这个空中的庞然大物
This is the sky giant…
曾经引起国会调查…
which has prompted Congress to investigate…
与军方签订合同的休斯先生
the war contracts of Mr. Hughes.
在登机前
Before boarding the craft,
休斯先生告诉记者这次的试飞
Mr. Hughes told newsmen that this test…
只是一次简单的测试
would be solely a taxi experiment.
他也不清楚究竟会发生什么
He said he didn’t know what might happen.
巨型的胶合板做成的机身
The mammoth flying plywood shell…
可能会由于高速滑行的压力而近水
might ship water under high- speed taxi pressure.
他不会在明年春天之前…
He will not take the craft…
把它升上天空
into the air until next spring.
这来自洛杉矶的小个子…
The thin man from Culver City…
声称他不清楚这架飞机的具体重量
pronounced the craft an unknown quantity.
或者她具体能达到怎样的高度
He has an idea what it can do…
现在别拍 现在别拍
None of that, now. None of that.
我们就站在休斯先生身后五英尺左右
We are about 5 feet in back of Mr. Hughes.
我们正在从…
We are looking through…
驾驶舱的一段朝外望去
one of the side windows in the cockpit.
教授 为什么不到前面来
Professor, why don’t you come on up front here.
也就是说
In other words,
我们站在距离水平面30英尺高的地方
we are 30 feet high in this aircraft.
拴上安全带坐好吧
Strap yourself in right there.
你应该亲眼见证这个伟大的时刻
You ought to be able to see just great.
海岸边聚集着…
Huge crowds jam the surrounding…
大量的人群
shoreline this morning.
好吧 伙计们 让我们发动吧
All right, boys, let’s fire it up.
一号♥引擎正常
One’s good.
二号♥正常
Two’s good.
三号♥正常
Three’s good.
四号♥正常
Four’s good.
五号♥正常
Five’s good.
六号♥正常
Six is good.
七号♥正常
Seven’s good.
八号♥正常
Eight’s good.
打开主油门
Advancing master throttles.
打开主油门
Advancing master throttles.
你们也许可以想像 我需要…
As you probably know, I have to do a great deal…
多大的声音才能盖过飞机的轰鸣
of screaming into our microphone.
明白 襟翼降低15度
Understood. Lower it 1 5 degrees of flaps.
襟翼降低15度
Lowering 1 5 degrees of flaps.
霍华德
Howard,
时速起码要达到70英里才有可能