查理和鲍勃多给了玛莎一些钱
Charley and Bob pay extry to Martha so that they don’t have to.
所以他们就不用做
但还是不公平
It still don’t seem fair.
玛莎
Martha.
噢,看看谁来了
Well, look what the cat dragged in.
你从肯塔基来的?
You come from Kentucky?
你怎么两耳不闻窗外事,玛莎?
Why do you have your head in a hole, Martha?
伍德和迪克几个月前有过枪战
Wood and Dick had a shooting scrape a few months ago.
去看着水壶,爱达
Cover the kettle, Ida.
你和迪克为什么那样?
And what did you and Dick get in a scrape about?
我爸爸的老婆在煎猪排的时候…
Well, he tampered with my daddy’s wife…
他却来和她调情…
…while a pork chop burned on the skillet…
所以我向他开枪
…so I shot at him.
爱达!撇油脂的时候别把大拇指伸进去!
Ida! Do not stick your thumb in the cream when you skim it.
他的狡诈和沾花惹草的作风…
His chicanery and his philandering ways…
是我们之间怨恨的导火索
…has instigated such malice.
他就像草丛中的蛇一样不可靠,玛莎
He’s a yellow snake in the grass and he can’t be trusted, Martha.
但这事…迪克的说法和你完全不同
Dick told me a complete other version of that affray.
伍德·海特在楼下
Wood Hite’s downstairs.
你说他来这儿了?
You mean he’s here?
对,他昨晚很晚来的
Yeah, he come in late last night.
嗨,冷静点!
Hey, simmer down!
别上去惹事,孩子们!早饭马上就好
Don’t get into a fracas up there, you boys! I’ve got breakfast almost ready.
他还在吸气
He’s still sucking air.
但我想他应该挂了
But I think he’s a goner.
也许你们该上来祝他黄泉路上走好
Maybe y’all better come wish him well on his journey.
伍德?
Wood?
你是个好伙计,伍德
You were a good fellow, Wood.
哦,希望你没受太多苦,伍德
Oh, I sure hope you’re not in frightful pain, Wood.
我想给你点水喝,但我怕你会噎着
I’d get you something to drink, but I’m afraid you’d just choke on it.
小爱达会想你的
Little Ida’s gonna miss you.
家里其他人也会的
So is the rest of the family.
这事算解决了,但不能带他去里士满
Well, one thing’s settled. Can’t take him into Richmond.
为什么?
Why not?
这个…一来,警♥察♥会把鲍勃抓进去
Well, one, sheriff’ll put Bob in jail.
二来,要是杰西发现他的表弟被杀
And two, Jesse’ll find out his cousin Wood’s been shot in our house…
死在我们这里…
…and then that’ll be the end of each and every one of us.
那我们就都完了
冷酷而又残暴得插了进来…
“And in one merciless, violent thrust broke in…
伴随着香水和啤酒…
…and carried all before him, and scented and brewed…
还有我处子之血的味道…
…reeking with blood of my virginity…
在我的身体内膨胀到了极致
…up to its utmost length in my body.”
他并没有消失,让你失望了
He ain’t disappeared, if that’s what you were hoping.
你在读哪一章?
What chapter you on?
她在直布罗陀遇到阿尔及利亚的海盗
She’s met some Algerian corsair down at Gibraltar.
这让她很兴奋
Got herself all agitated.
腿怎样了?
How’s that leg?
痛得要死,鲍勃,谢谢你的关心
Full of torment, Bob. Thanks for asking.
虚心的人有福了…
Blessed are the poor in spirit…
因为天国是他们的
…for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
哀恸的人有福了,因为他们必得安慰
Blessed are them that mourn, for they shall be comforted.
…的人有福了
Blessed are the…
温柔
Meek.
温柔的人有福了
Blessed are the meek.
是他吗? 是的
– Is it him? – Yeah.
他来这干嘛?他知道伍德的事吗?
Why is he here? Does he know about Wood, do you think?
不清楚,我只知道他不是很想念他
I don’t know. All I know is he don’t miss very much.
如果他问到你,我该怎么回答?
– What should I say about you if he asks? – Tell him I’m in K.C. With Mattie.
告诉他我和马蒂在堪萨斯
他在猎杀野牛,能见到你们他真高兴
He was buffalo hunting. He was thrilled to meet yours truly.
是啊,在欧洲,有两个美国人
Yeah, over there in Europe there’s only two Americans they know for certain…
人们肯定认得…
马克·吐温和杰西·詹姆斯…
…Mark Twain and Jesse James.
怎么?是这孩子 一切还好吗?
– Why, it’s the kid. – How’s everything?
我从不摘下枪 是吗?
– I never take off my gun belts. – Yeah?
好主意
Good thinking.
噢,查理,你脚受伤了?
Well, Charley, did you hurt your leg?
是啊,我滑…我从屋顶滑下去了…
Yeah, I slipped… I slipped off the roof…
像个傻子一样摔在了雪地上
…and I smacked down into a snow bank like a ton of stupidness.
前一秒我还在惊叫“噢,天哪”
One second I’m screaming, “Whoa, Nelly!”
后一秒我已被埋在齐脖深的雪里了
Next second, poof, I’m neck-deep in snow.
那是什么让你在冬天爬上屋顶的?
Well, whatever possessed you to climb a roof in December?
有一个…风筝,我说啥?有一只猫
There was a k… A kite. What am I saying? There was a cat.
一只猫,在屋顶上,我去追它
A cat. It was on the roof and I went after him.
是只公猫,在嗷嗷叫,我就摔了
It was a tomcat yowling and what all, and I slipped.
我以为你畸形腿了呢
I thought maybe your club foot was gaining on you.
是啊
Oh, yeah.
迪克去堪萨斯见他老婆去了
Dick went to Kansas City to be with his wife. He was here for a bit.
他之前在这呆过一阵子
对了杰西,给你讲个可爱的故事吧
Hey, here’s a cute story, Jess.
鲍勃11还是12岁的时候
Bobby was what, 11 or 12…
非常非常仰慕你
…and you were by far his most admired personage.
不停地讲你…
He couldn’t get enough.
杰西这样、杰西那样,一天到晚说不倦
It was “Jesse this” and “Jesse that” and “Jesse this” from sunrise to sunset.
真有趣
Fascinating.
还有更逗的呢
No, there’s more. This is cute.
有次我们在吃饭,鲍勃问:
We’re at supper and Bob asks, “You know what size boot Jesse wears?”
你们知道杰西穿几号♥鞋吗?
查理,杰西不想听这个
– Charley, Jesse doesn’t wanna hear this. – Shush, now, Bob, let me tell it.
鲍勃,别插嘴,让我说嘛
鲍勃说“你知道杰西穿几号♥鞋吗?”
Bob says… He says, “You know what size boot Jesse wears?”
他说“6寸半”,还说“这够大吗?”
He says, “Six and a half.” He says, “Ain’t that a big enough boot…
“他五尺八寸高呢”
…for a man 5’8″tall?”
我就想逗逗他,他是我小♥弟♥弟♥嘛
I decided to josh him a little, you know, he being my kid brother and everything.
我就说“因为他没有脚指头啊”
So I said, “He doesn’t have toes is why.”
这故事太傻了啊
That’s a really stupid story.
他有一次脚泡在水沟里
“He was dangling his feet off a culvert and a catfish nibbled his toes off.”
脚趾被鲶鱼啃没了
鲍勃想破了头,就是想不明白
Bob taxed himself trying to picture it.
如果你觉得这故事好笑,倒是个好笑话
That’d be a good joke if it was funny.
很逗吧,杰西?
Isn’t that a cute story, Jess?
多给我讲讲吧,鲍勃
Give me some more conversations, Bob.
我想到了一个更牛的,是关于你…
I got one. This one’s about as crackerjack… It’s the one about your…
让鲍勃讲吧
Let Bob tell it.
好吧
All right.
我都不知道你说什么
I don’t even know what you’re talking about.
你不是说你和杰西有很多共同点嘛
About how you and Jesse have so much in common.
来讲讲吧,鲍勃
Go on, Bob.
对啊,快,鲍勃
Yeah, come on, Bob.
给我们讲个故事
Tell us a story.
不要 快啦,让杰西高兴一下
– Nope. No. – Come on, entertain Jesse. He’s here.
说嘛
Come on.
说了你不要生气,我觉得
Well, if you’ll pardon my saying so, I guess…
我们俩有很多重叠的地方,挺有趣的
…it is interesting the many ways you and I overlap and whatnot.
从我们的爸爸说起吧
I mean, you begin with our daddies.
你♥爸♥爸是个浸信会牧师
Your daddy was a pastor at the New Hope Baptist Church…
而我爸爸是艾克塞尔西奥泉市的牧师
…and my daddy was a pastor at the church in Excelsior Springs.
你在家里三兄弟中最小
You’re the youngest of three James boys, and I’m the youngest of five Ford boys.
我家五兄弟,我最小
查理和我中间还有个哥哥…韦伯
Between Charley and me, there’s another brother, Wilbur…
他名字是六个字母
…with six letters in his name.
你和弗兰克中间有个哥哥叫罗伯特
And between Frank and you, is another brother Robert, also with six letters.
名字也是六个字母
恰好我的洗礼教名也是罗伯特
And my Christian name is Robert, of course.
你眼睛是蓝的,我也是
You have blue eyes, I have blue eyes.
你五尺八寸高,我也是
You’re 5’8″tall, I’m 5’8″ tall.
我12岁时列出一长串相似点
Me, I must have had a list as long as your nightshirt when I was 12, but…
比你的睡衣还长呢
但长大后,这种好奇心就没了
…I seem to have lost some curiosities over the years.
他还真厉害
Ain’t he something?
我有没有给你们讲过…
Did I ever tell you the story about that scalawag, George Shepherd?
有个叫乔治·谢坡德的家伙
他是考崔尔底下的一个士兵
Shepherd’s one of Quantrill’s lieutenants.
我想起他,是他的故事和鲍勃有点像
He give me a story much like Bob’s what bring him to mind.
他给我讲,我俩有多少多少相似点
Going on about how much we had in common, and so on…
就想加入我们
…so he could get in the gang.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!