当2040年,达到90亿人口的时候,
And in 2040 or so when there are about 9 billion of us,
又要再另外加两个地球。
we need two more again.
帝♥国♥主♥义♥唯一的目标就是不断的扩张,
Capitalism’s only goal is ever expending growth,
但是要想不断扩张,在这个不会长大的地球上…
but ever expending growth on just a one not expending planet…
那是不可能实现的!
It’s impossible.
伪善的经济体系的后果就是灾难,
The con economic system is disastrous,
不光是对地球而已,对大多数的人同样如此。
not just for the planet, but for most people, too.
400年的帝♥国♥主♥义♥,让最有钱的1%分得40%的财富,
400 years of capitalism has allowed the richest one 1% to take 40% for themselves,
只剩下1%给最穷的人。
leaving just 1% for the poorest to have.
每次有人想要拥有不同的生活都是痴人说梦。
But anyone wanting to live differently is fool ticket every time.
因为「利益」,这个唯一衡量的标准,
With profit, the only measuring step,
用来残害这个星球,已经植入我们的社会系统,
destroying the planet is written into the system,
气候变迁,难民如潮,也没甚麽好意外的了。
and run away climate change is not very surprising result.
Logo最重要的就是颜色,像浅灰色,
The logo effectively is color, you know, light grey, you know,
Orange Telecom那样,他们就是深橙色。
orange telecom, they are orangy black.
我们的Logo是萤光色。
Our logo is fluorescent color.
当经济每分每秒都在改变的时候,我们(航♥空♥公♥司♥)进入了。
Where everything changes in economy in minute, you have an airline moving in.
因为人们需要更快的从事各种商业活动,
Because people can basically do business alot faster,
如果经济速度再快一些,也就表示人们有更多的可支配收入。
if businesses grow a lot faster, people have more disposable income,
之后,你知道,就是消费主义了,
then, you know, consumerism sets in,
你知道,只要有消费主义存在,
and you know where the verge where base consumerism is setting in,
那就会像美国一样了。
just moving a lot like America.
我过著这样的生或一点也不高兴。
我现在23岁了,应该身在更好的地方才对。
我一直想要去类似…
美国这种地方。
住在栋舒适的房♥子裡。
拥有很炫的车子。
饮用好的水。
吃好吃的东西。
我一直希望我们的人♥民♥…
至少我身边的人和我自己…
可以过那样的生活。
那种美丽的生活。
如果能过著那样的生活,那根本就不会想要死。
你只想要永远活在世界上。
Jeh现在前往位于法国的Airbus(空客)总部,
Here, Jeh travels to Airbus headquarter in France,
因为空客要在他开业3年内提供26架飞机给他。
as they’ll be supplying him with 26 planes in his first 3 years.
我们印度只有200架民航机,而中国有800架。
We have only 200 aircrafts commercially flying in India, China has 800.
要追上中国、欧洲,
Ultimately, you know, we have a very long way to go,
最终是一条长远的路。
playing catch up with China, catch up with Europe,
举例来说,你知道,美国的西南航♥空♥,有417架飞机,
or, you know, say, America one airline, South West, has 417 aircrafts.
比整个印度一个国家还要多上一倍。
That’s double the amount of aircrafts we have as a country.
你知道,有一句简单的话道出了我的想法,
You know, we simple sentence for me, summarizes it all.
就是事情会越来越好。
Thing is gonna get better.
我的房♥子裡,有10呎深的积水混著烂泥,
In my main house, is has 10 feet of water in it,
整整泡了3个礼拜。
marinated in that sludge for 3 weeks, almost.
这就是我现在的家,我的房♥子,全毁了。
So it’s current state of my house, it’s been demolished.
所有房♥子被剷平,一幢挨著一幢。
It’s flat piece of a property waiting for another house to go on that.
我失去了所有东西,我所有的东西,
I lost everything, everything that i owned,
从传家遗物到厨房♥的卫生纸之类的所有所有东西,
I mean everything from family heirlooms to the paper towels sitting on your kitchen counter,
都失去了。
in everything in between, it goes on and on.
有两个超级,超级漂亮的橡树存活下来了,
Two beautiful, beautiful oak trees I did not lose,
就是那种原生、土生土长、维吉尼亚的橡树,
you know, local, indigenous, quikes, virginianas, live oaks
枝条成荫,超级超级漂亮。
that sprawl all over the place, beautiful, beautiful things.
这些就是我仅存的,两棵橡树和一片空荡荡的草坪,其它的都没了。
That’s what I have left, two old oak trees and an empty lawn, everything else is gone.
糟透了。
That sucks.
失去所有的东西,让人无法承受。
Losing everything you have, it’s so overwhelming.
伴随而来的伤痛更是影响深远。
And the grief that comes with that, it is just profound.
我们很有默契的一起装作气候变迁没有发生,
We have an unspoken collected pact to pretend climate change wasn’t happening,
好像我们只要用力的忽略他,就真的不会成真。
as though as long we ignore it hard enough, It wouldn’t be true.
但不是每个人都这样,有一些人在大声疾呼。
Not absolutely everyone, a few were shouting fire.
嗨,进来吧。
Hello, come on in.
面对气候变迁最大的困难是,
One of the greatest difficulties with climate change
我们今天的排放可能会在30到40年后才会对温度有影响,
is that the effects of our emissions today are not actually realized in terms of the temperature
所以是个”时间延迟”的系统。
for 30 or 40 years so there is this time-lag system.
这让我们,人类就很难面对,
Which makes it difficult for us, humans, to respond
因为我们经过演化的结果,只会对即时的威胁做出反应,
because we’re evolutionary equipped to deal with the very immediate threats
像是大军压境或是面临危险的动物。
like advancing armies or dangerous animals.
对于长♥期♥的问题,我们就不知如何理性的应对,就像气候变迁这种。
We’re not so well-equipped with dealing rationally with very long term problems like climate change.
所以我们现在就必须有所作为以防范未然,
So we have to act now to stop something happening in the future,
如果我们真的要等到气温已经完全改变再著手,
if we wait until the full temperature effects are already upon us,
一切就太晚了。
then it’s far too late to stop.
记住一个比甚麽都重要的数字,
If you remember one single number above all else,
2度。
make it two degrees,
现在几乎全世界,
now everyone in the world pretty much,
像欧盟、大型跨国企业、绿色和平组织、政党,
the European Union, big multi-national corporations, Greenpeace, political parties,
都同意我们必须防止全球气温比工业革命前上升超过2度,
all agreed that we have to stabilize global temperatures within 2 degrees above pre-industrial level,
原因是,超过这个上限,对地球来说这个狭窄的拐点,
and the reason for that is because, if you cross that threshold, the narrow tipping point in the earth system,
全球温室效应就会完全的失控。
which could drive the warming process essentially out of control.
世界上巨量的碳元素将会释出,
Huge amount of carbon could be coming out of the world,
树木和土壤,西伯利亚永冻层的甲烷也会跑出来,
trees and soils, methane could be coming out of the perma-frost in Siberia
这些多出来的甲烷,进入大气层的温室气体,
and it’s that extra input of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere,
会导致最糟糕的状况发生,地球上的温度上升6度或更多,
which then leads us up to the worst case scenario to 6 or more degrees
最终大部分的生命将会灭绝。
and the eventual wipeout of most of the life on earth.
能源排放从差不多1950开始不断上升。
So power emission has been going up, between, let’s says, 1950,
现在我们必须要让上升减缓,稳定,
and now they need to level out, stabilize, and then decline
然后尽快下降到一个可以维持恆定的水平,差不多在2050年削减80%。
just as rapidly to sustainable levels about an 80% cut by 2050.
重要的是,想要使温度上升幅度在2度之内,
But crucially, to keep the temperature rise within 2 degrees,
在2015年这个值就必须达到稳定。
this point of stabilization need to be at around 2015.
意思就是,真的,我们拥有的时间一分一秒的过去,
And so that means, really, the time, timeline we’ve got, ticking clock,
从现在2008算起来,7年之内我们必须让全球排放量稳定下来。
is that we have to stabilize global emission within just 7 years from now as we speak 2008.
让整个人类文明转型成低碳的经济形式,
And scale of this task to achieve a transformation to a low carbon economy
这个任务的规模很巨大,
of the entire, entirety of human civilization,
显然是艰巨的任务,可能是人类有史以来最艰巨的。
is obviously, is huge, monumental task, probably the greatest humanity ever faced.
还记得跑去看冰河的伦敦一家人吗?
Remember the English family who went to see the glacier?
他们现在位在英国西南方的家乡,Cornwall,
They’re back home in Cornwall, south west England,
开始面对处理他们自己浪费能源的问题。
inspire to start tackling their own energy wasting.
上面说英国平均一个人要对每年排放10吨♥的温室气体负责。
It says that the average Individual in the UK responsible for emitting 10 tons of greenhouse gas a year.
他们在计算现在他们一家到底排放出多少温室气体,
They’re calculating exactly how much climate-change-gases their family currently produces,
并且该怎麽减量。
and how it can be reduced.
对,但那是一个人平均而已,我们有五个人。
Yeah, but that’s the average individual, there are five of us.
恩…,不管怎麽看,都不太好。
Whichever way you look at this, it isn’t good.
我们自己生产大约一半我们所需的食物,并试图减少对肉类和乳类的需求。
We produce about half of our food, and we try keep our consumption of meat and dairy down.
我的车是用鸡脂肪当油,我们也尽量骑脚踏车。
My car runs on chick fat and we do cycle when we can.
我们刚买♥♥了风力发电机,足以生产我们全部的用电量。
We just got our wind turbine, which will produce all our own electricity.
我们的目标是每人每年降到剩一吨♥排放量,
We’re aiming to cut down to about one ton each per year,
也就是地球上的树木和植物可以再吸收的负荷量。
which is apparently the sustainable amount that the world’s trees and plants can reabsorb.
但最大的问题是搭飞机,仅是一个中程的旅行,像伦敦到纽约,
But the big problem is flying, just one mid-term flight, say, London to New York,
就可以超过3.5年的碳排放预算。
would blow our entire carbon budget for about 3.5 years.
很明显的,除了放火烧森林之外,
Apparently, other than setting fire to a forest,
一个人最能影响气候变方式就是搭飞机。
flying is the single worst thing an ordinary individual can do to cause climate change.
真是有点让人进退两难,因为才刚有人邀我们去法国滑雪。
So, it’s a bit of a dilemma, because we’ve just been invited to go skiing in France.
我们可以搭差不多40分钟车到离这边最近的机场Newquay上飞机,
Then I am flying from Newquay, which is our nearest airport,
我们可以搭差不多40分钟车到离这边最近的机场Newquay上飞机,
say, 40 minutes from here, to Bergerac,
然后差不多一个半小时就可以飞到Bergerac。
which is like, you know, an hour and a half or something, from it.
意思就是我们可以早上从Cornwall出发,
And literally we could leave here in the morning, that’s we leave like in, Cornwall,
意思就是我们可以早上从Cornwall出发,
we could leave Cornwall in the morning,
然后在午餐时间附近到Bergerac。
and be in Bergerac by sort of, for lunch, after lunch.
但如果你这样想,这样做会导致有人为此而死去,事实上,效果是一样的
But if you actually think, this is going to cause the death of people, actually in effect
每个人都是相互关联的。这样去想就十分吓人。
people are make that direct connection, then it’s a really scary thought.
显然,如果我们不坐飞机去法国或者以后也不坐飞机,
到底有没有办法解决问题也很难讲。
Obviously, us not flying to France or not flying, wherever, it’s hard to guess, will solve the problem.
但如果你想这麽做是正确的话,那很让人沮丧。
But it’s down to what you think it’s the correct thing to do.
因为其它人都这麽做,你也这麽做,这从来都不是个好理由。
Because everyone else’s doing it, I mean, that is not a good reason to do anything.
回头看历史上后来让人感到后悔的悲剧,
You know, to look at the terrible things in our history that everyone regrets now,
像大屠♥杀♥,各种惨案…很多之类的事,
you know, massacres, the holocaust…etc. a lot of that ,
都只不过是跟著当时的主流思想在走。
was just going a long way what was the predominant thinking at the time.
我一度有忌妒的感觉,
I almost jealous at the time,
要是在5年、10年前,我就会丝毫没有罪恶感的跳上飞机,
5 or 10 years ago when I could just jump on a plane with impunity,
想都不用想,超爽快,不需要面对这种道德的困境。
I didn’t even think about it, it’s blissful, no moral dilemma there, whatsoever.
不用说,他们没有坐飞机去。
Needless to say, they didn’t take that flight.
用参加对抗气候变迁的游♥行♥
And joining the climate change protest march
来庆祝结婚十週年纪念日应该不是大家都会做的,
may not be everybody’s idea of the 10th wedding anniversary,
但这是Piers和Lisa从一开始认识就有同样的理想。
but Piers and Lisa have share ideals from the moment they met.
我跟我朋友一起去参加派对,
My friend, we went along to the party together,
他基本上就是直接带我去找Piers,说
and she just basically took me straight over to Piers and said,
“嘿,Piers,她是Lisa”,然后说,”答答答答嘟嘟嘟嘟答答答”