No, I’d still like to be married in April, with your help.
你总算见识了明戈家的厉害
Now you’re seeing the Mingott way.
他们果真如此顽固不灵
Is this really so difficult?
这个家族一向如此
The entire family is difficult.
个个是老古板
Not one of them wants to be different.
不然就像艾伦的父母一样
When they are different, they end up like Ellen’s parents.
简直是欧陆的游牧民族
Nomads, continental wanderers.
带着艾伦到处去
Dragging Ellen about,
为她花了大钱受教育 但总是断断续续
lavishing on her an expensive, but incoherent education.
在所有孙辈中
Out of all of them, I don’t believe there’s one
就属艾伦最像我了
that takes after me but my little Ellen.
你很有眼光
You’ve got a quick eye.
为何没娶她
Why in the world didn’t you marry her?
她不在国内 我无缘娶她
Well, for one thing, she wasn’t there to be married.
说得也是
No, to be sure.
现在还是娶不成 伯爵 你知道
And she’s still not. The Count, you know.
写信给莱特布莱尔先生
He’s written to Mr. Letterblair.
要她回心转意 条件随她开
He wants her back, on her own terms.
伯爵倒没为自己强辩
The Count doesn’t defend himself, I will say that.
如果她执意不回去 那将会是她的损失
And Ellen will be losing a great deal if she stayed here.
那里有她熟悉的生活
There’s her old life,
尼斯的花♥园♥ 珠宝 音乐和清谈
gardens at Nice, jewels, of course, music and conversation.
她说她在欧洲默默无闻
She says she goes unnoticed in Europe,
但我知道 光是她的肖像画就有九幅
but I know her portrait’s been painted nine times.
此外 还有一个有心赔罪的丈夫
All this, and the remorse of a guilty husband.
我宁可她死
I’d rather see her dead.
真的吗
Would you really?
你必须记得婚姻就是婚姻 艾伦已为人♥妻♥
We should remember marriage is marriage, and Ellen is still a wife.
艾伦 瞧瞧谁来了
Ellen! See who’s here!
我知道
Yes, I know.
我去问你妈你去哪儿了
I went to see your mother to ask where you’ve gone.
你老是不给回信 我还担心你病了
Since you never answered my note, I was afraid you might be ill.
因为他正忙着结婚
Well, he was in such a rush to get married, that’s why.
他一下火车就往我这儿跑
Fresh off the train, and straight here.
求我为他说情 让他早点把心上人娶进门
He wants me to use all my influence just to marry his sweetheart sooner.
这个嘛
Well, surely, Granny, between us,
我们都能劝说韦兰家照他的意思去办
we can persuade the Wellands to do as he wishes.
纽伦 听见没 一针见血 就像我一样
There, Newland, you see? Right to the quick of the problem, like me.
我才跟他说他应该娶你的
I told him he should have married you.
他怎么说
And what did he say?
噢 乖孙女啊
Oh, my darling,
自己去找答案吧
I leave you to find that out.
可惜我不能久留
I wish I didn’t have to leave.
我会尽快来看你的
I shall see you very soon, I hope.

Fine.
我送你
I’ll see you out.
何时可去找你
When can I see you?
斯特拉瑟斯家会在七点派车来接我
The Struthers are sending the carriage at 7:00.
晚上好
Good evening.
谁发神经送花给我
Who’s ridiculous enough to send me a bouquet?
我没要去舞会 也没订婚
I’m not going to a ball, and I’m not engaged.
纳斯塔西娅
Nastasia!
(朱礼士·布霍先生 谨献)
就是有人这么神经
Some people are always ridiculous.
把这些花送给街尾那户人家
Take these to that nice family down the street.
嗯 她说的话有些真实
Well, I’ll tell you, in almost everything she says,
也有虚假的成分
there’s something true and something untrue.
为什么
Why?
奶奶跟你说了些什么
What has Granny been telling you?
她认为你会回到丈夫身旁
I think she believes you might go back to your husband.
她相信你至少会考虑一下
I think she believes you might at least consider it.
很多人相信我会做好些东西
A lot of things have been believed of me.
如果她相信我会考虑
But if she thinks I would consider it,
那表示她在代我考虑
that also means she would consider it for me,
也同时在考虑让你提早结婚
as Granny is weighing your idea of advancing the marriage.
我和梅在佛州已经把话谈开了
May and I had a frank talk in Florida.
那或许是我们的第一次
It’s probably our first.
她想晚一点结婚 给我多一点时间
She wants a long engagement, to give me time.
多一点时间干嘛
Time for what?
她认为我急着与她结婚
She thinks I want to marry her at once…
是为了逃避某人
To get away from someone that I care for
一个我用情更深的人
more.
让你有时间为别的女人放弃她
Time to give her up for another woman?
如果我够绝情的话
If I want to.
她简直是个圣人
That’s very noble.
没错
Yes.
真是荒谬至极
But it’s ridiculous.
怎么说
Why?
因为根本没有第三者
Because there is no other woman?
是因为
No.
因为我非她莫娶
Because I don’t mean to marry anyone else.
那个第三者也深爱着你吗
This other woman, does she love you too?
根本没有第三者 梅所怀疑的人根本就
There is no other woman! The person May was thinking of was never…
一定是接你的马车来了
That must be your carriage.

Yes, I…
我该走了
I suppose I should be leaving soon.
到斯特拉瑟斯家去吗
To Mrs. Struthers’?
对 人家邀我去 我就赴约 一个人太寂寞了
Yes. I must go where I’m invited, or I should be too lonely.
为何不同我一起去呢
Why not come with me?
其实梅猜得没错
May guessed the truth.
的确有第三者
There is another woman.
但不是她担心的那一个
Only, not the one she thinks.
别对我调情 太多人对我调情
Don’t make love to me, too many people have done that.
我是真心的
I’ve never made love to you.
如果可以
But you are the woman I would’ve married
我要娶你
if it had been possible for either of us.
是你让它成为不可能的
You can say that when you’re the one who’s made it impossible?
我 – 你叫我别离婚
I’ve made it? – Isn’t it you who made me give up divorcing?
你在这屋里劝我要牺牲
Didn’t you talk to me here, in this house,
免得遭人议论
about sacrifice and sparing scandal?
为了成全你们 我乖乖听你的话
And for May’s sake, and for yours, I did what you asked me!
你丈夫在信里说你
There were things in your husband’s letter…
那封信唬不了我的
I had nothing to fear from that letter, absolutely nothing.
我只担心你和梅 还有我的家人
I was just afraid of scandal for the family and you and May.
艾伦
Ellen.
艾伦
Ellen.
没有什么
Nothing’s…
没有什么是无法挽回的
Nothing’s done that can’t be undone.
我仍单身
I’m still free.
你也可以
You can be, too.
求你告诉我
Please, Ellen.
现在我还能娶梅吗 你愿意看见我娶她吗
Lord, can I marry May now? Do you see me marrying May now?
你认为你可以问她这个吗
I don’t see you putting that question to May, do you?
事已至此
But I have to.
我别无选择
It’s too late to do anything else.
这不是真的
You say that because it’s the easiest thing to say at this moment,
你只是在逃避
not because it’s true.
我真搞不懂你
I don’t understand you.
因为你不知道
You don’t understand because you don’t yet realise
你已改变了我
how you’ve changed things for me.
你对你所做的事浑然不知
You don’t know all that you’ve done.
我做的事
All I’ve done?
你暗中为我做的事
All the good things you’ve done for me, Newland, that I never knew.
你去找冯·德·莱登 只因大家都不理我
Going to the van der Luydens’ because people refused to meet me.
在舞会上宣布婚讯
Announcing your engagement at the ball so there would be
如此一来多了一个家族支持我
two families standing behind me instead of one.
从前我并不知道别人是如此地鄙视我
I never understood how dreadful people thought I was.
直到外婆有一天不小心说溜了嘴
Granny blurted it out one day.
我好傻
I was stupid. I never thought…
我总以为到了纽约我就自♥由♥了
New York meant freedom to me.
每个人都那么好 那么乐于见到我
Everyone seemed so kind, and glad to see me.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!