但说真格的 何必要离婚
But really, what’s the use of a divorce?
她在美国 他在英国
She’s here. He’s there.
中间隔着大西洋
The whole Atlantic’s between them.
伯爵最近很慷慨
As things go, Olenski’s acted generously.
他主动归还一部分钱
He’s already returned some of the money without being asked.
但也不会再多给了
She’ll never get a dollar more than that.
当然啦 她并不在乎钱
Although I understand she attaches no importance to the money.
所以最好还是依她家人的意愿
Considering all that, the wisest thing really, is to do as the family say.
就让事情这样子吧
Just let well enough alone.
我认为此事应由她决定
I think that’s for her to decide.
你是否仔细想过
Have you considered the consequences
离婚会有什么影响吗
if the Countess decides for divorce?
对她的影响吗
The consequences for the Countess?
对每个人的影响
For everyone.
伯爵对她只是做出大概的控诉
I don’t think the Count’s accusations amount to anything more than vague charges.
但总会惹来闲言闲语
It will make for some talk.
我听说过伯爵夫人和那秘书
Well, I have heard talk about the Countess and the secretary.
没看见文件前就听说了
I heard it even before I read the legal papers.
这终究不是一件令人舒服的事
It’s certain to be unpleasant.
不令人舒服
Unpleasant?
离婚总是令人不舒服吧
Divorce is always unpleasant. Don’t you agree?
当然
Naturally.
那么我就拜托你了
Then I can count on you?
她全家都拜托你了
The family can count on you.
你会劝她打消此意吧
You will use your influence against a divorce?
我先和她谈谈再说吧
I can’t promise that, not until I’ve talked to the Countess.
我真搞不懂你
I don’t understand you, Mr. Archer.
为何不让你的亲家
You want to marry into a family
免掉离婚官司呢
with a scandalous divorce suit hanging over it?
这跟我的婚约是两回事
I don’t think that has anything to do with the case.
可否派人将这个送给伯爵夫人
Can someone take this for me to the Countess, please?
(重要……我必须见你)
谢谢
Thank you.
敢不去你就死定了
You refuse such an invitation on threat of death.
真有这么可怕
Is it so bad?
不然就等着大家慢慢折磨你吧
Not if you have a taste for slow agony.
我禁不起折磨的
That’s something I’ve neglected to cultivate.
在冯·德·莱登家住三天
Three days at Skuytercliff with the van der Luydens.
带着皮裘大衣和热水瓶去吧
I think you better take your fur and a hot water bottle.
那房♥里有那么冷吗
Is the house that cold?
不 但路易莎令人不寒而栗
No, but Louisa is.
阿齐先生
Mr. Archer.
星期天到狄摩尼餐厅来吧
Join me at Delmonico’s on Sunday instead.
我请你吃生蚝
I’m having a nice oyster supper in your honour.
包厢 风雅人士作陪
Private room, congenial company. Artists and so on.
真令人心动 我回来后还没见过艺术家
That’s very tempting. I haven’t met a single artist since I’ve been here.
我可以介绍一些画家给你认识
I know one or two painters I could bring to see you if you’d allow me.
画家 纽约还有画家吗
Painters? Are there any painters in New York?
谢谢 但我想认识的是歌♥星
Thank you, but I was really thinking of singers,
演员 和音乐家等演艺人员
actors, musicians, dramatic artists.
我夫家常有许多音乐家来
There were always so many at my husband’s house.
明天再告诉你决定吧
May I write tomorrow and let you know?
现在太晚了
It’s too late to decide this evening.
现在叫晚吗 – 是的
Is this late? – Yes.
因为我还有要事和阿齐先生谈
Because I still have to talk business with Mr. Archer.
当然啦 纽伦
Of course, Newland,
如果你能让她改变心意
if you can persuade the Countess to change her mind about Sunday,
欢迎你来作陪
you can join us, too.
你认识画家 经常来往吗
You know painters then? You live in their milieu?
那倒没有
Not exactly.
你喜欢画作
But you care about such things?
当然 我在欧洲从不错过画展
Immensely. When I’m in Paris or London, I never miss an exhibition.
我很留意画坛动态
I try to keep up.
以前我也热爱绘画
I used to care immensely, too.
我的生活总充满了艺术气息
My life was full of such things,
但我要忘掉过去 完全美国化
but now I want to cast off all my old life to become a complete American
就像其他人一样
and try to be like everybody else.
你永远都不会和其他人一样
I don’t think you’ll ever quite be like everybody else.
别这么说
Don’t say that to me, please.
我想忘掉过去
I just want to put all the old things behind me.
我知道
I know.
莱特布莱尔先生告诉过我
Mr. Letterblair told me.
莱特布莱尔先生
Mr. Letterblair?
对 是他要我来的 我们在同一家事务所
Yes, I’ve come because he asked me to. I’m in the firm.
这么说是你负责我的案子
You mean it’ll be you who’ll manage everything for me?
我可以和你谈 那太好了
I can talk to you. That’s so much easier.
对 我就是为此而来的
Yes, I’m here to talk about it.
所有文件我都看过了
I’ve read all the legal papers.
还有伯爵寄来的信件
And the letter from the Count.
写得很恶毒
It was vile.
可是如果决定打官司
But if he chooses to fight the case,
他可能说一些 呃
he can say things that might be…
对你很不利的话
That might be disagreeable to you.
并闹得满城风雨
And say them publicly,
那些话是毁灭性的 即使
so that they could be damaging even if…
即使什么
If?
即使毫无根据
Even if they were unfounded.
我在这儿 他怎么中伤我
What harm could accusations like that do me here?
此地的流言杀伤力极强
Perhaps more harm than anywhere else.
尽管法律允许离婚 但民情不容
Our legislation favours divorce, but our social customs don’t.
没有例外吗
Never?
尤其是如果女方
Well, not if the woman
起码表面上 无论怎样轻微也好
has appearances in the least degree against her,
以任何非传统方法也好
has exposed herself by any unconventional behaviour,
有难堪的绯闻
to offensive insinuations and…
我的家人也是这么说的
Yes, so my family tell me.
我们的家人 你将成为我的表妹夫
Our family. You’ll be my cousin soon.
你也同意他们的说法
And you agree with them?
什么事让你冒险离婚
What could you possibly gain that would make up for the scandal?
自♥由♥
My freedom.
你不是已经自♥由♥了吗
But aren’t you free already?
职责所在 我得让你知道
It’s my business to help you see these things just the way
那些关爱你的人对离婚的看法
the people who are fondest of you see them, all your friends and relations.
如果我没告诉你
If I didn’t show you honestly how they judge such matters,
就是没尽到责任
it wouldn’t be fair of me, would it?
没错
No, it wouldn’t be fair.
好吧
Very well. I’ll…
我依你就是了
Do as you wish.

I…
我真的很想帮你
I do want to help you.
你的确帮了我
You do help me.
晚安 表妹夫
Good night, cousin.
求求你 别哭得那么凄惨
For mercy’s sake, don’t cry so bitterly.
忘掉我所做的一切
Forget what I’ve done.
除非你答应我
On one condition.
不管是什么条件我都答应
I accept it, whatever it may be.
别再说你爱我
Never speak a word of love to me again!
永远不会
Never!
我发誓
On my honour.
上天保佑你
Heaven bless you.
永别了
Farewell.
精彩极了
It’s fascinating.
每年这戏中一幕
Every season, the same play, the same scene,
总是令观众感动不已
the same effect on the audience.
很精彩吧 纽伦
Remarkable, isn’t it, Newland?
比我在伦敦看的还精彩
I’m enjoying it even more than the London production.
你出国还看呀
You see this play even when you travel?
我出国就是为了不想看这戏 – 那天是晚宴
I travel to get away from it. – So was it a dinner?
斯特拉瑟斯太太作东
It was a reception at Mrs. Struthers’
虽订在礼拜天
given on the Lord’s Day but with champagne
但不仅有香槟和在桌上歌♥唱

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!