I’m so pleased to meet you.
她身旁已围满了我的情敌
She’s already surrounded. I have so many rivals.
是啊
Yes.
那就再陪我多坐一会儿吧
Then stay with me a little longer.
好
Yes.
达哥纳先生 容我介绍奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人
Mr. Urban Dagonet, may I present the Countess Olenska.
幸会
How do you do, my dear?
幸会
How do you do?
明天下午五点 我等你
Tomorrow then, after 5:00 I’ll expect you.
明天见
Tomorrow.
失陪一下
Excuse me.
你人真好
It was good of you to devote yourself to Madame Olenska
肯这样为奥兰斯卡夫人出力
so unselfishly, dear Newland.
是我请亨利去救你的
I told Henry he really must rescue you.
我从未见过梅如此美丽
I think I’ve never seen May looking lovelier.
公爵认她是这里最出色的女子
The Duke thinks her the handsomest woman in the room.
这是我的荣幸
It was my pleasure.
阿齐先生
Mr. Archer.
你对寒舍有何感觉
So how do you like this odd little house?
我自以为犹如天堂
To me, it’s like heaven.
你布置得很雅致 – 是啊
You’ve arranged it delightfully. – Yes.
我设法带了些东西回来
Some of the things I managed to bring with me.
婚变后的残骸
Little pieces of wreckage.
至少不像冯·德·莱登家那么阴森
At least it’s less gloomy than the van der Luydens’,
在这里独处也不会太煎熬
and not so difficult to be alone.
尽管很多人认为冯·德·莱登家很阴森
I am sure it’s often thought the van der Luydens’ is gloomy,
但我倒是第一次亲耳听见
though I’ve never heard it said before.
你真的喜欢独处吗
But tell me, do you really like to be alone?
有朋友作伴就不觉得寂寞
As long as my friends keep me from being lonely.
你已经决定喜欢那儿
I see you’ve already chosen your corner.
是的
Yes.
请坐 – 谢谢
Please, sit. – Thank you.
这是我最喜欢的时刻
This is the hour I like best.
你呢
Don’t you?
我还以你早已将时间遗忘
I was afraid you’d forgotten the hour.
大概布霍有时也很有趣吧
I am sure Beaufort can be very intriguing.
他带我看了几处房♥子 大家都劝我一定要搬
He took me to see some houses. I’m told I must move.
尽管这里是高级住♥宅♥区
Even though this street seems perfectly respectable.
没错 但不够时髦 – 时髦
Yes, but it’s not fashionable. – Fashionable?
时髦与否真的那么重要吗
Is fashion such a serious consideration?
对那些没有更重要的事可操心的人而言
Among people who have nothing more serious to consider.
或许是我太独♥立♥了吧
Perhaps I’ve been too independent.
我只求有人给我关爱和安全感
All I really want is to feel cared for and safe.
冯·德·莱登夫妇可说是全力出动了
Thank you. The van der Luydens do nothing by halves.
昨晚纽约名流都来捧你的场
All New York laid itself out for you last night.
他们人真好 我玩得很开心
It was so kind. Such a nice party.
奶油还是柠檬
Cream or lemon?
柠檬 谢谢
Lemon, please.
冯·德·莱登家族在社会上最有影响力
The van der Luydens are the most powerful influence in New York society.
他们因路易莎的健康不佳而绝少宴客
They very seldom receive because of Cousin Louisa’s health.
或许就是这个理由吧
Perhaps that’s the reason then.
谢谢 理由
Thank you. “The reason”?
愈神秘愈有影响力
For their influence. They make themselves so rare.
但你一定得告诉我
But, of course, you must tell me.
不 你来告诉我
No, it’s you telling me.
谢谢 – 我们可以互相帮助
Thank you. – Then we can both help each other.
可是我更需要帮忙
But I need help so much more.
已经有许多人告诉你该怎么做了
There are so many people all ready to tell you what to do.
我独居 恐怕会使许多人不以为然
I think they’re all a little angry with me for setting up for myself.
至少你的家人会指点你
Still your family can advise you, show you the way.
纽约真的是个大迷宫吗
Is New York such a labyrinth?
我以为条条道路都如第五大道一般宽敞笔直
I thought it was all straight up and down, like Fifth Avenue.
每条街都有编号♥
All the cross streets numbered,
每件东西都贴有大标签
and big, honest labels on everything.
每件东西都有标签 除了人以外
Everything is labelled, but everybody is not.
我需要你的提醒
Then I must count on you for warnings, too.
年长的女士都喜欢你 他们乐意伸出援手
All the older women like and admire you. They want to help.
我知道 只要她们没听见什么传闻
I know. I know, as long as they don’t hear anything unpleasant.
难道这里没人肯听实话
Does no one here want to know the truth, Mr. Archer?
真正的寂寞是住在这种好人之中
The real loneliness is living among all these kind people
他们要你戴上假面具
who only ask you to pretend.
不 千万别这么做
No, no, you mustn’t.
奥兰斯卡夫人
Madame Olenska.
艾伦
Ellen.
难道这里的人也都不哭吗
Does no one cry here either?
大概是没有哭的必要吧
I suppose there’s no need to.
阿齐先生 晚上好
Mr. Archer, good evening.
今早没见到你
We didn’t see you this morning
我们不知是否要送花给韦兰小姐
and we weren’t sure whether to send Miss Welland the usual…
以后每天一束百合
Lilies-of-the-valley. Yes, I think we better make that a standing order.
好的 先生
Very good, sir.
还有那些黄玫瑰 我给你另一个地址
And those yellow roses. I’ll give you another address.
好的
Very good.
(奥兰斯卡夫人 纽伦·阿齐先生)
乔治
George!
阿齐先生 两束花分送两处
Mr. Archer, two separate orders.
马上送出吗
They’ll go at once?
马上 先生
At once, sir.
能闻着百合香醒来
It’s wonderful to wake every morning
感觉真好
with lilies-of-the-valley in my room.
就像你在身旁
It’s like being with you.
昨天花送迟了 我忘了时间
They came late yesterday, I know. Somehow the time got away from me.
但你总会记起来的
But still you always remember.
我也送了玫瑰给艾伦 可以吗
I sent some roses to your Cousin Ellen, too. Was that right?
当然可以
Very right.
但今天午餐时她没提起
She didn’t mention it at lunch today though.
她说布霍先生送给她漂亮的兰花
She said she got some wonderful orchids from Mr. Beaufort,
亨利·冯·德莱登也送她一篮康乃馨
and a whole hamper of carnations from Cousin Henry van der Luyden.
她好开心
She was so very delighted.
难道欧洲人都不送花吗
Don’t people send flowers in Europe?
我知道你觉得订婚期太长
I know you do consider it a long time.
没错
Very long.
可是奇弗斯夫妇订婚一年半
But the Chiverses were engaged for a year and a half.
莱弗茨夫妇更长达两年
Larry Lefferts and Gertrude were engaged for two.
妈妈希望我们能依照传统
I’m sure Mamma expects something customary.
你从小就有主见
Ever since you were little, your parents let you have your way.
你也快二十二岁了 何妨跟你母亲直说
You’re almost 22. Just tell your mother what you want.
我不能拒绝她对我的最后要求
I couldn’t refuse her the very last thing she’d ask of me as a little girl.
难道我们就不能任性一点吗
Can’t we just strike out for ourselves, May?
难道我们应该私奔
Shall we elope?
如果你愿意 有何不可
Well, if you would, why not?
你是真心爱我 我好开心
You do love me, Newland. I’m so happy.
你可以更快乐的
Well, why not be happier?
无法更快乐了 亲爱的
I couldn’t be happier, dearest.
我拿戒指给艾伦看
Did I tell you I showed Ellen the ring?
她说没见过比这更漂亮的
She thought it was the most beautiful setting she ever saw.
连巴黎的款式也比不上
She said there was nothing like it in the Rue de la Paix.
我好爱你 纽伦
I do love you, Newland.
你做的每件事都好特别
Everything you do is so special.
这案子很棘手 我得借重你的长才
I want to call on your legal skills for a rather delicate matter.
奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人想离婚
Countess Olenska wants to sue her husband for divorce.
有人说她想再婚 尽管她矢口否认
It’s been suggested she means to marry again, although she denies it.
请恕我因订婚之故
Because of… I beg your pardon, sir, but because of my engagement,
你可否另请高明
perhaps one of the other members of the firm could consider this matter.
正因为你与她将有亲属关系
But precisely because of your prospective alliance,
她的家人也指明要你
and considering that several members of the family have already asked for you,
希望你能考虑接下
I’d like you to consider the case.
这是家务事 自家人出面协调比较妥当
It’s a family matter. Perhaps it’s best settled by the family.
他们的态度相当明确
Their position is clear.
他们坚决反对离婚
They’re entirely and rightly against a divorce.
但奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人坚持要请教律师
But Countess Olenska still insists on a legal opinion.