Whenever he thought of Ellen Olenska,
他总感觉虚幻宁静
it had been abstractly, serenely,
宛如画中的仕女
like an imaginary loved one in a book or picture.
她象征他所错失的一切
She had become the complete vision of all that he had missed.
我才五十七岁啊
I’m only 57.
布霍再婚时
Did Mr. Beaufort really have such a bad time of it
阻力真有这么大吗
when he wanted to remarry?
大家都不谦让他一分
No one wanted to give him an inch?
或许是以前谦让过太多
Perhaps because he’d already taken so much.
但现在谁还记得 谁还在乎呢
As if anyone remembers any more, or cares.
安妮·瑞茵为他生了个宝贝女儿 你真幸运
Well, Annie Ring and he did have a lovely daughter. You’re very lucky.
你是指我们都很幸运
We’re very lucky, you mean.
当然
Yes, of course that’s what I mean.
人生至此 早已事过境迁
So considering how that all turned out, and all the time that’s gone by,
你怎么还要抗拒呢
I don’t see how you can resist.
你们结婚 我一开始也无法接受
I did have some resistance at first to your marriage, as I told you…
我是指你拒绝见一个你差点为她牺牲一切的女人
No. I mean resist seeing the woman you almost threw everything over for.
只是你悬崖勒马了
Only you didn’t.
我悬崖勒马
I didn’t?
没错
No.
但母亲说
But Mother said that she knew
我们都会安然无恙的 – 你母亲
we would be safe with you. – Your mother?
还记得她临终的前一天 要单独跟我谈吗
Yes. The day before she died she asked to see me alone. Remember?
她说她放心把这个家交给你
She said she knew we were safe with you,
一直如此安心
and always would be,
因为你曾答应她
because once, when she asked you to,
放弃你的最爱
you gave up the thing that you wanted most.
她从未提起此事
She never asked.
她从未要求过我
She never asked me.
一会儿之后 他对泰德的直率不再感到懊恼
After a little while he did not regret Ted’s indiscretion.
他的心结终于松绑
It seemed to take an iron band from his heart to know that,
毕竟 终究有人猜到而且怜悯过他
after all, someone had guessed and pitied,
而那个人居然是自己的太太 这更叫他感动莫名
and that it should have been his wife moved him inexpressibly.
门童说她住在三楼
The porter says it’s the third floor.
一定是有两篷的那一户
Must be the one with the awnings.
快六点了
It’s nearly 6:00.
我想坐一会儿
I think I’ll just sit for a while.
你不想上去吗
Do you mean you won’t come?
真的不上去吗 – 我也不知道
You really won’t come at all? – I don’t know.
她不会理解的
She won’t understand.
去吧 泰德 也许我随后就到
Go on, Ted. Maybe I’ll follow you.
我该怎么告诉她
What will I tell her?
你不是最能言善道了吗
Don’t you always have something to say?
我说你很老派
I’ll tell her you’re old-fashioned,
坚持走楼梯 而不愿意去乘电梯
and you insist on walking up three flights instead of taking the elevator.
就说我很老派
Just say I’m old-fashioned.
这足够了 去吧
That should be enough. Go on.
去吧
Go on.
献给我的父亲 路希安诺·查尔斯·斯科塞斯
(导演的父亲在影片即将上映前离世)
旁白: 祖安娜·伍德沃德