Good-bye.
再见 巴黎见了
Good-bye. And I’ll see you very soon in Paris.
噢 希望你和梅能来
Oh, if you and May could come.
可以走了吗
Shall we make our way to the carriage, my dear?
今晚真开心
Delightful evening, Newland.
晚安 纽伦
Good night, Newland.
晚安 西勒顿 拉瑞
Good night, Sillerton. Good night, Larry.
今夜的晚宴很棒吧
It did go off beautifully, didn’t it?
噢 对
Oh, yes.
我能进来聊聊吗
May I come in and talk it over?
当然 可是你一定很想睡了
Of course. But you must be very sleepy.
不 我想和你聊聊 – 好
No, I’m not. I’d like to be with you a little. – Fine.
如果你愿意
If you feel up to it, May,
我想告诉你一件事
there is something that I’ve been wanting to talk to you about.
那一夜就想告诉你的那件事
And I tried to talk to you the other evening.
是的 有关你自己的事
Yes, dear. Something about yourself.
对 有关我自己的事
About myself, yes.
真不知该从何说起
It’s so difficult to find the right words.
我觉得好累
But it’s just that I feel so terribly tired at the moment.
我想
And I think…
而且每况愈下
Each day a little more so.
我想如果我休息一阵子 或许对大家都有好处
And I think it would be better for everyone if I were to make a break.
你是指辞职
You mean give up the law?
辞职当然也是一部分
Well, certainly that would be a part of it. And also just to…
然后出国
Just to get away.
我想出去旅行
I… I’d like to do some travelling.
欧洲
To Europe or…
或是更远的地方
Perhaps even farther.
多远
How far?
我也不知道
I don’t know. I thought…
印度或是日本吧
India or Japan.
像那么远的地方
As far as that?
这个嘛
Well…
恐怕你不能去 亲爱的
I’m afraid you can’t, dear.
除非你带我去
Not unless you take me with you.
只怕医生不会同意
That is, if the doctors will let me go, and I’m afraid they won’t.
纽伦 早上才确定的
Newland, I’ve been sure of something since this morning,
我一直想找机会告诉你
and I’ve been longing to tell you.
噢 亲爱的
Oh, my dear.
意外吧
You didn’t guess?
对 我希望 但
No. I mean, of course, I… I hoped, but…
你还告诉了谁
Have you told anyone else?
只有我妈妈和你母亲
Only Mamma and your mother…
还有艾伦
And Ellen.
我说过我们聊了很久 而且她人很好
I told you we had a long talk one afternoon and how wonderful she was to me.
你不想让她知道吗
Did you mind my telling her, Newland?
怎么会呢
Mind? Why should I?
那已经是两星期前的事了吧
But that was two weeks ago, wasn’t it?
你不是今天才确定的吗
I thought you just said you weren’t sure till today?
当时我是不确定
No, I… I wasn’t sure then,
但我还是告诉她了
but I told her I was.
而且呢 我猜对了
And you see, I was right.
就在这书房♥
It was the room
他生命中最真实的事发生了
in which most of the real things of his life had happened.
他们的长子西奥多
Their eldest boy, Theodore,
无法在隆冬抱出门
too delicate to be taken to church in midwinter,
因此就在这儿受洗
had been christened there.
我以圣父
I baptise thee in the name of the Father,
圣子
and of the son,
以及圣灵的名义 为你施洗礼
and of the holy spirit.
泰德就在这里学走路
It was here that Ted took his first steps.
纽伦夫妇也常在此
And it was here that Archer and his wife always discussed
讨论子女的未来
the future of all their children.
比尔对考古有兴趣
Bill’s interest in archaeology,
玛丽喜欢体育和慈善活动
Mary’s passion for sports and philanthropy,
热爱艺术的泰德想当建筑师
Ted’s inclination toward art that led to a job with an architect,
和从事室内装潢的工作
as well as some considerable redecoration.
玛丽在这里宣布喜讯
It was in this room that Mary had announced her engagement…
我真为你开心
I’m so happy for you.
她嫁给了拉瑞·莱弗茨的儿子
To the dullest and most reliable of Larry Lefferts’ many sons.
纽伦也在这里亲吻了她
And it was in this room, too, that her father had kissed her
然后坐车陪她上教堂结婚
through her wedding veil before they motored to Grace Church.
纽伦是个贤夫慈父
He was a dutiful and loving father, and a faithful husband.
当梅因照顾比尔而感染肺炎过世
When May died of infectious pneumonia after nursing Bill safely through,
他深深哀悼
he had honestly mourned her.
世界在她的岁月中粉碎瓦解
The world of her youth had fallen into pieces
然后形成一个新世界 而她并未察觉
and rebuilt itself without her ever noticing.
纯真无邪的她
This hard, bright blindness,
似乎很难意识到周遭的变动
her incapacity to recognise change,
因此儿女就像阿齐一样 不愿对她透露内心的看法
made her children conceal their views from her, just as Archer concealed his.
她死时仍然觉得这世界是一片乐土
She died thinking the world a good place,
充满爱与和谐 就像她的家庭一样
full of loving and harmonious households like her own.
纽伦·阿齐在五十七岁时
Newland Archer, in his 57th year,
追忆过去 感慨万千
mourned his past and honoured it.

Yes, hello? Hello?
芝加哥电♥话♥
Chicago wants you.

Hello?
爸 – 泰德 是你吗
Dad? – Is that you, Ted?
爸 我刚完工
Dad, I’m just about finished out here,
但客户要求我去看几座花♥园♥ 再着手设计
but my client wants me to look at some gardens before I start designing.
不错嘛 在哪儿
That sounds fine. Where?
欧洲 – 天啊
Europe. – Gracious.
我下周三搭船过去
I’ll have to sail next Wednesday on the Mauretania.
什么 要错过自己的婚礼吗
What, and miss the wedding?
我想安妮会等我的
I think Annie will wait for me.
我一号♥就回来了 赶得上五号♥的婚礼
I’ll be back on the 1st, and our wedding’s not till the 5th.
没想到你还记得日期
I’m surprised you remember the date.
希望你能和我一起去 – 什么
Well… Dad, I was hoping you’d join me. – What?
我需要你提醒我孰重孰轻
I’ll need you to remind me of what’s important.
结婚前的最后一次父子同游
What do you say? It will be our last father-and-son trip.
感谢你的邀请 – 太好了
Well, Ted, I do appreciate the invitation… – Wonderful!
明天记得订船票
Can you call the Cunard office first thing tomorrow?
但我得取消
But it would take me till next Wednesday just to cancel my…
我不想听 大西洋正在召唤我们
I won’t hear it, Dad. The Atlantic is calling us.
周一我就到纽约
I’ll be in New York on Monday, and I’ll contact you then.
什么时候 – 星期一
You’ll be in New… – On Monday.
我尽力就是了
I’ll see what I can do.
订购船票 爸
Settle the tickets, Dad.
我不能拍心口保证 我尽力就是了
I can’t promise anything, Ted. I’ll see what I can do. All right.
再见 – 再见
Bye-bye. – Bye.
我要和陶娜去凡尔赛宫 你去不去
I’m going out to Versailles with Tourneur. Will you join us?
我想去罗浮宫
I thought I’d go to the Louvre.
那么我去找你
I’ll meet you there later then.
我跟奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人约在五点半见
Countess Olenska’s expecting us at 5:30.
什么
What?
我没告诉你吗
Didn’t I tell you?
安妮要我在巴黎为她做三件事
Annie made me swear to do three things in Paris.
帮她买♥♥套德彪西的最新曲谱合辑
Get her the score of the last Debussy songs,
去大木偶剧院 以及去看奥兰斯卡夫人
go to the Grand Guignol, and see Madame Olenska.
布霍送安妮来索邦大学读书时
You know, she was awfully good to Annie
她待她好极了
when Mr. Beaufort sent her over to the Sorbonne.
伯爵夫人跟布霍的前妻关系不太好 对吗
Wasn’t the Countess friendly with Mr. Beaufort’s first wife or something?
布霍先生是这么说的
I think Mrs. Beaufort said that she was.
总之 早上我打了电♥话♥给伯爵夫人
In any case, I called the Countess first thing this morning,
告诉她我是她的外甥
introduced myself as her cousin.
你提到过我也来了吗
Did you tell her I was here, Ted?
当然 有何不可
Of course. Why not?
她听起来很可爱 她一向如此吗
She sounds lovely. Was she?
可爱
Lovely?
我不知道 她变了
I don’t know. She was different.
每当忆起艾伦·奥兰斯卡

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!