My name’s Regina Townsend.
于是我对她说
And I said to her…
你在布霍娶你入门时 就已冠上夫姓
Your name was Beaufort when he covered you with jewels,
既使现今他已使你蒙羞 你仍姓布霍
and it’s got to stay Beaufort, now that he’s covered you with shame.
然后我就崩溃了
And then I gave out,
就这么崩溃了
simply gave out.
现在大伙全等着参加我的葬礼
And now family is arriving from all over,
然后他们又需要有人招待
expecting a funeral, and they’ll have to be entertained.
真不知大夫通知了多少人
I don’t know how many notes Bencomb sent out.
希望我们能帮得上忙 – 艾伦就快来了
If there’s anything we can do to help out… – Well, my Ellen is coming.
我指名要她来
I expressly asked for her.
她的火车今天到 如果你肯去接她的话
She arrives this afternoon on the train. If you could fetch her…
当然 如果梅要用四轮马车的话 我去乘轮渡
Of course. If May will send the brougham, I’ll take the ferry.
好 谢谢
Fine. Fine. Thank you.
瞧 这不就成了
There? You see, Granny? Everyone will be settled.
谢谢你 乖孙 愿上天保佑你
Thank you, dear. Bless you.
我不想让奶奶操心
I didn’t want to worry Granny,
可是你今天要去华盛顿
but how can you meet Ellen and bring her back here
怎么去接艾伦呢
if you have to go to Washington yourself this afternoon?
我不去了 早上莱特布莱尔告诉我
I’m not going. The case is off, postponed.
开庭延期了
I heard from Letterblair this morning.
延期 这怎么可能
Postponed? How odd.
早上我妈也收到他的通知
Mama had a note from him this morning as well.
他也很关心奶奶 但无法前来
He was concerned about Granny, but had to be away.
他正在最高法♥院♥打一场专利官司
He was arguing a big patent case before the Supreme Court.
一场专利的官司
You did say it was a patent case, didn’t you?
大家都无法出庭
Well, that’s it. The whole office can’t go.
莱特布莱尔只好自己去了
Letterblair decided to go himself.
这不叫延期
So then, it’s not postponed?
对 可是我出庭的日期是延了
No, but my going is.
他计算过乘车和乘船
He knew it was two hours by ferry
从纽泽西市宾州车站到明戈奶奶家
and carriage from the Pennsylvania terminus in Jersey City back to Mrs. Mingott’s.
需要两小时
All of two hours.
或许多一点
And maybe a little more.
没想到我会来吧 – 对
You didn’t expect me today. – No.
我差点去华盛顿找你 我们差点见不到面
I nearly came to Washington to see you. We would have missed each other.
明戈奶奶要我来接你 她好多了
It was Granny Mingott who sent me. She’s much better.
我几乎把你给忘了
You know, I hardly remembered you.
几乎把我给忘了
Hardly remembered?
每次都是如此
I mean… I mean, each time is the same.
每回你都给带我全新的感受
You happen to me all over again.
我知道
Yes, I know.
我也有相同的感受
For me, too.
我们不能再这样耗下去了
Ellen, we can’t stay like this. It can’t last.
我们必须面对现实
I think we should look at reality, not dreams.
我要跟你长相厮守
I just want us to be together.
我不可能嫁给你的
I can’t be your wife, Newland.
难道要我当你情妇吗
Is it your idea I should live with you as your mistress?
我想
I want…
我想要带你远走高飞
Somehow I want to get away with you,
到一个没有妻妾之分的地方
and find a world where words like that don’t exist.
噢 亲爱的
Oh, my dear.
什么地方 你去过吗
Where is that country? Have you ever been there?
到哪儿可以逃过良心的谴责呢
Is there anywhere we can be happy behind the backs of people who trust us?
我不在乎
I’m beyond caring about that.
你不是这种人
No, you’re not.
你从未离经叛道过
You’ve never been beyond that.
而我却是过来人
I have.
我了解那种感受 我们是不可能结合的
I know what it looks like. It’s no place for us.
为何停车 奶奶不住这里
Why are… Why are we stopping? This isn’t Granny’s.
我要在这儿下车
No. I’ll get out here.
你说得对 我不该来的
You were right. I shouldn’t have come today.
你在看什么
What are you reading?
一本有关日本的书
It’s a book about Japan.
为何读它
Why?
我也不知道
I don’t know.
因为那是不同的国家
Because it’s a different country.
你不是爱读诗吗
You used to read poetry.
我喜欢你念诗给我听
It was so nice when you read it to me.
纽伦
Newland.
你会感冒的
You’ll catch your death.
当然
Of course.
他发现他已有如行尸走肉
But then he realised, “I am dead.
死了好几个月
“I’ve been dead for months and months.”
他突然想到她可以死掉
Then it occurred to him that she might die.
世事难料 健康的年轻人也可能遭遇不测
People did. Young people, healthy people did.
也许她会死 让他恢复自♥由♥
She might die and set him free.
纽伦
Newland?
艾伦 我非见你不可
Ellen, I have to see you.
你何时离开
I didn’t know when you were leaving again.
我不走了
I’m… I’m not leaving.
奶奶要我留下来照顾她
Granny’s asked me to stay and take care of her.
那么我们得好好谈谈
Then we have to talk now.
我得到雷芝娜家去 坐奶奶的车去
I’m due at Regina Beaufort’s. Granny lent me her carriage.
奶奶说布霍是个无赖 我先生也一样
I know Granny says Julius Beaufort is a scoundrel,
而全家族的人却都要我回到他身旁
but so is my husband, and the family still want me to go back to him.
只有奶奶是个明理之人 她甚至时常接济我
Only Granny understands. She’s even seen to my allowance.
我必须找个地方和你独处
I have to see you, somewhere we can be alone.
在纽约吗 – 只要是能独处的地方
In New York? – Alone. Somewhere we can be alone.
明天下午两点半美术馆见
The art museum in the park, 2:30 tomorrow.
我在门口等你
I’ll be at the door.
(用途不详)
你到纽约来只因你怕
You came to New York because you were afraid.
怕什么 – 怕我去华盛顿找你
Afraid? – Of my coming to Washington.
我以为在纽约会比较安全
I thought I would be safer.
怕我打扰你
Safer from me?
艾伦
Ellen?

S…
怕自己陷得太深吗
Safer from loving me?
可以给你一次然后回家去吗
Shall I come to you once and then go home?
给我一次吧
Come to me once then.
什么时候
When?
明天
Tomorrow.
后天吧
The day after.
(奥兰斯卡夫人 第五大道 八〇九号♥)
抱歉 我回来晚了 没让你操心吧
I’m sorry I’m late. You weren’t worried, were you?
现在很晚吗
Is it late?
已经七点多了
It’s past 7:00.
我和艾伦在奶奶家聊
I stayed at Granny’s because Cousin Ellen came in.
她非常友好 我们聊得很开心 就像是从前的她
We had a wonderful talk. She was so dear, just like the old Ellen.
奶奶好喜欢她
Granny was so charmed by her.
不过她有时真让人反感
But you can see, though, how the family’s been annoyed with her at times.
例如坐奶奶的车去看布霍太太
Going to see Regina Beaufort in Granny’s carriage and…
今晚要出去吃吗
Are we dining out tonight?
你今天还没亲我
You haven’t kissed me today.
当时纽约人的习惯
It was the custom in old New York
新婚的前几年
for brides to appear in their wedding dress
新嫁娘都穿着结婚礼服出门
during the first year or two of marriage.
但梅从欧洲回来后
But May, since returning from Europe,
今晚是她第一次穿上结婚礼服
had not worn her bridal satin until this evening.
抱歉 梅 我的头好痛
May, I’m sorry. My head’s bursting.
别告诉任何人 我们回家吧
Please don’t tell anyone. Come home with me now.
你不是该休息
Shouldn’t you rest?
我的头好多了
My head’s not as bad as that.
有件事我得告诉你
And there’s something important I have to say to you right away.
我得和你谈谈
May, there is something that I’ve got to tell you.
关于我自己
About myself.
奥兰斯卡夫人
Madame Olenska…
为何要在今晚谈她
Why should we talk about Ellen tonight?
因为我早就该说了
Because I should have spoken before and…
真有那么重要吗
Is it really worthwhile, dear?
我知道有时我对她过于冷淡

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!