So, they’ve been here, too, eh?
我离开这的第二天 森林里响起了鼓声
After I left the other day, the drums started in the forest.
我雇的那两个男孩子马上就哭了起来
Pretty soon my boys was moaning.
我问他们出了什么事
I asked ’em what the trouble was.
他们说那鼓声是说德国人 把各村的村民全部赶走
They said the drums said the soldiers was marching off their people
然后放火把村子烧掉 这样他们就无家可归了
and burning their villages so they couldn’t come back.
果然 我们赶到矿区一切都烧成了灰烬
When I got to the mine, everything was a shambles.
那两个孩子什么也没说就跑进了森林
My boys took one look and bolted into the forest.
依我看 他们是要把土著人 训练成军队来控制整个的非洲
The way I look at it, they plan to make soldiers of the natives and take over all Africa.
– 牧师呢 – 在里面 他死了
– Where’s the reverend? – He’s in there. He’s dead.
哦 哦 这可真可怕
Oh. Oh, well, now, ain’t that awful?
他们连牧师也杀死 这善良的人哪
If they’d shoot a reverend couldn’t do ’em a bit of harm,
那谁也活不了啦
there ain’t nobody safe.
他们没开枪打他 但是也差不多
They didn’t shoot him, Mr Allnut, but they may as well have done.
小姐 这太不幸了 我很难过
Oh, that’s certainly too bad, miss. That’s all I can say.
是什么时候
When’d he die, miss?
就在今天早晨
He died early this morning.
对不起 小姐 我的意思是说
Excuse me, miss. What I mean to say is,
这里的天气尽快要埋到地下 越快越好
what with the climate, the quicker we get him buried the better…
请别介意我这么说
if you don’t mind my saying so.
有铁锹吗? – 在房♥子后面
– You got a spade? – Behind the bungalow.
我尽量找个背阴的地方
I expect he’d like to be buried in the shade.
依我看 我现在呢就去挖墓 你收拾收拾东西
While I’m digging the grave, you get your things together.
凡是想带的都收拾好 然后我们尽快离开这儿 德国人随时都会回来的
We can clear out in a hurry. The Germans might come back anytime.
为什么来这儿
Why should they?
道理很简单 找我的非洲女王号♥
They’ll be back, looking for the African Queen.
他们一定很想弄到这条船 还有船上的东西
They’d give a lot to get their hands on her and what’s in her
炸♥药♥ 罐头 食品 装氧气和氢气的钢瓶
blasting gelatine, cylinders of oxygen and hydrogen,
很多东西他们都想拿去
heaps of things them Germans could use.
这些德国人
The Germans.
我想我们先找个僻静的小岛躲一躲
I figure we can go somewheres behind an island
然后再商量怎么办
and talk about what to do.
– 我去准备 – 好的 我尽量快点
– I’ll get ready. – Fine. I’ll be as quick as I can.
走吧 小姐 晚走不如早走好
Let’s go, miss. Let’s go while the going’s good.
对不起
Pardon me.
小姐 你来掌舵 好吗?
Mind taking the tiller, miss?
– 啊? – 来吧
– Huh? – Come on.
– 可我不会 – 来吧
– But I can’t steer. – Come on.
向左一点 小姐 哦 不 反了
A little to starboard, miss. No, no. The other way.
啊我们还算顺利
Ah. So far so good.
这是安全地带
Here we are safe and sound.
– 问题是下一步怎么办? – 说得对
– The question is, what next? – Quite.
我们有不少罐头 所以不用担心吃的
We got heaps of grub. We’re all right.
还有两千支香烟 两箱子杜松子酒
2000 cigarettes, two cases of gin.
我们可以在这儿呆上几个月
We could stay here for months if we wanted to.
这地方不错 对吧 小姐 可以躲避战争
Not a bad place to sit out a war.
家里有的都有 这儿还有流水
All the comforts of home, including running water.
我们不能永远躲在这儿 一直等到战争结束
We simply can’t remain in this backwater until the war is over.
不能吗? 你有地图 你指一条路 我听你的
Can’t we, miss? You got the map. Show me a way out, I’ll take it.
英国♥军♥队肯定会发动进攻的 问题是他们从哪个方向进攻?
The British will attack. Which way will they come?
可能从海上来 铁路都被封锁了
Maybe from the sea, but that would put the Germans between us.
德国人想得十分周到 你看 他们会不会从东面打过来?
Mightn’t our soldiers come in from British East?
有可能 不过等他们穿过那片大森林 欧洲战争早该结束了
But the war would be over before they hacked through that forest.
当然我们只是猜想 究竟怎么打那是军官们的事
We’re in a bit of a fix, miss.
但是假如他们真想打 我认为也不会取道刚果
One thing’s sure, they won’t come up from the Congo.
那儿要穿过大湖 湖上有路易莎号♥ 谁也别想过去
They can’t cross that lake while the Luisa’s there.
– 路易莎?什么路易莎? – 一条大船
– The Luisa?What Luisa? – A 100- ton steamer.
德国人把它拆开
The Germans brought her in sections.
通过陆地运到了湖上 谁也斗不过它 它有六磅的大家伙
She’s the boss of the lake cos she’s got a six – pounder.
什么大家伙? – 大炮 是中部非洲最大的炮
– What’s that? – The biggest gun in central Africa.
我懂了 – 如果没有那艘船 问题就不大了
– I see. – Without the Luisa, it’d be easy.
我们的人只要能够过了湖 德国人就坚持不了多久
The Germans wouldn’t last a month if our men could get across the lake.
可是我们现在呢 还困在这儿 你说呢 小姐
All that don’t get us any closer to home.
这条河 乌兰加河 最后流进湖里 对吗?
This river, the Ulanga, runs into the lake, doesn’t it?
啊是的 小姐
Well, yes, miss, it does.
不过假如你想顺流漂到湖上的话 那你趁早别这么想
But if you got ideas about going in this launch, get rid of ’em.
为什么啊?
Why?
首先因为在肖纳
Well, first off, there’s Shona.
德国人在那儿筑了堡垒监视河面
The Germans have a fort there.
我们要穿过他们的 炮火恐怕很难活着过去
If we tried to pass their guns, they’d blow us up.
过了肖纳就是大急流 小姐
Then there’s the rapids.
一百英里的急流就像从枪口喷出来一样
100 miles of water like it was coming from a fire hose.
再往下走连河的名字都变了 下面的河叫博拉
Then the river’s called the Bora.
以前人们以为是两条河 直到那位史朋格勒
They didn’t know it was the same river until this Spengler…
他漂流而下 我记得 – 是的 小姐 他驾着独木
– He got down it, I remember. – Yes, in a dug – out canoe.
雇了六名当地的划桨手 他去绘地图 其实这地图就是他绘的
With six Swahili paddlers. That was his map you was looking at.
奥尔纳特先生 什么 小姐 你说这些有红线的箱子里装着什么?
Mr Allnut, what’s in these boxes with the red lines on them?
啊这些? 这些都是炸♥药♥
Oh, them? Well, that’s blasting gelatine, miss.
– 有危险吗? – 别担心 小姐 没危险
– Is it dangerous? – No, miss. That’s safety stuff.
把它们弄湿就没危险了
You can get it wet and it don’t do it any harm.
如果用火点它们会燃烧 你用猛士锤子砸它它也不会爆♥炸♥ 至少我觉得不会
You can hit it with a hammer, and it won’t go off.
要想爆♥炸♥还得有引爆器
Takes a detonator to set it off.
– 你要是不放心我把它拿开 – 不 也许用得着
– I’ll put it over the side for you. – No, we may want it.
奥尔纳特先生 这些又圆又长像鱼雷的东西是什么?
What are these long, round, torpedo – like things?
哦 这些? 这是装氧气和氢气的钢瓶
Oh, them? Them’s oxygen and hydrogen cylinders, miss.
– 奥尔纳特先生… – 我在这儿 小姐
– Mr Allnut… – I’m still right here.
船就这么大个地方 我不会跑到别处去的
There ain’t any other place I could be on a 30- foot boat.
你是机械师 对吗? 你在矿上就干这一行?
You’re a machinist, aren’t you? Wasn’t that your job at the mine?
对 是修理工 正像他们说的我行行通 但是都不精
Yes, a kind of jack – of – all – trades, master of none, like they say.
– 你会做鱼雷吗? – 你说什么 小姐?
– Could you make a torpedo? – How’s that, miss?
你会做鱼雷吗?
Could you make a torpedo?
做鱼雷?
A torpedo?
做鱼雷 你还不如造条能站起来的船呢
Ask me to make a dreadnought and do it up right.
你问的问题太外行了 小姐
A torpedo? You don’t know what you’re asking.
要说内部的构造 没有任何机械比鱼雷的构造更复杂了
There ain’t nothing so complicated as the insides of a torpedo.
里面有陀螺仪 压缩器室还有补偿重物…
It’s got gyroscopes, compressed air chambers…
以及其它 所有这些 比如陀螺仪 都是用来让它前进的 对吗?
But all those things, they’re only to make it go, right?
啊是的 前进 并且追击击中目标
Yeah. Yeah, go and hit what it’s aimed at.
啊我们有非洲女王号♥
Well, we’ve got the African Queen.
你说什么 女士?
Uh, how’s that, miss?
如果我们给这些钢瓶装满了炸♥药♥ 然后固定好
If we were to fill those cylinders with that blasting gelatine
让它们露出船头 那么如果我们用船撞到轮船上 它们就会像鱼雷一样爆♥炸♥
and fix them out over the boat, then run the boat against a ship,
是不是这样 奥尔纳特先生?
they’d go off just like a torpedo, wouldn’t they?
哦 没问题 如果前面再装上引爆器
Yeah, if they had detonators in the end.
我们能做 就像你说的 给一点动力 然后直接撞上轮船
We could get a good head of steam up,
在它撞上之前我们跳水 可以吗?
and just before she hits, we could dive off, couldn’t we?
当然了 小姐 绝对没问题
Why, sure, miss. Sure. Absolutely.
可你的想法有一点不现实
There’s one thing wrong with your idea.
我们造了鱼雷有什么用呢
There ain’t nothing to torpedo.
哦 当然有用
Oh, yes, there is.
– 干什么 – 攻击目标啊
– Is what? – Something to torpedo.
– 什么目标啊? – 路易莎号♥
– What’s that? – The Luisa.
路易莎号♥?
The Luisa?
别说傻话了 小姐
Oh, now, don’t talk silly.
绝对不行 这肯定不行 我说过了 乌兰加河我们过不去
You can’t do that, honest! We can’t get down the Ulanga.
史朋格勒过去了 他用独木舟 德国人能做到我们也能做到
Spengler did. If a German did it, we can, too.
绝对不行 那只能白白送命
You never tried it!
你怎么知道 你没试过 我还没试过
I never tried shooting myself in the head neither!
朝我自己的脑袋开枪 而且你对船一窍不通
Trouble is, you don’t know anything about boats.
– 也就是说 在国家需要你的时候
– In other words, you refuse to help your country
你也不肯为它效力 奥尔纳特先生? – 啊?
in her hour of need, Mr Allnut? – Huh?
什么 我可没那么说
Well, I wouldn’t put it that way.
那么你想怎么说呢 奥尔纳特先生?
Just how would you put it, Mr Allnut?
好吧 就按你说的办 只是到时候你不要怪我
All right, have it your way, but don’t blame me for what happens.
很好 马上开始
Very well. Let’s get started.
– 什么 马上开始? – 对 现在
– What, now, miss? – Yes, now.
离天黑不到两个小时了 小姐
There ain’t two hours of daylight.
两小时能赶很长的路 奥尔纳特先生
We can go a long way in two hours.
哦 我还得添火把锅炉再烧起来…
Uh, I’ll have to get the old kettle to boiling and…
对 烧吧 奥尔纳特先生
Well, do so, Mr Allnut.
你会做鱼雷吗?