We knew she would inspire you to give that speech.
我们知道她会激发你的演说灵感
That speech that brought you back from the edge of oblivion
那次演说让你免于被世人遗忘
and overnight made you the frontrunner in this coming election.
并在一夜之间成为此届选举的大众宠儿
What are you saying? You want me to win the election?
你是说你们想让我赢得这次选举吗
This one and four more after it.
不仅这一届 还有之后的四届
And I’m not just talking about elections for senate.
而且不只是参议院选举
You can matter, David.
你会有所成就 戴维
Really matter.
不小的成就
What your father wanted when he took you to the Senate Gallery
你十岁那年 你父亲为什么带你
when you were 10.
到参议院旁听
What your brother wanted when he made you promise
你哥因为吸毒过量而去世前
the day before he overdosed that you wouldn’t be like him.
为什么让你发誓不重蹈他的覆辙
Why do you think you have that yearning to be in front of people?
想想看 为什么你这么想成为公众人物
That terrible emptiness when you’re not.
当你不这样时是无比的空虚
Don’t do that.
别说了
David, you can change the world,
戴维 你可以改变世界
but that doesn’t happen if you stay with her.
但她会是你的障碍
Why do you people care who I love?
你们干嘛要管我爱谁
It’s not about her, it’s about you.
不是她的问题 是你
What being with her does to you.
和她在一起会对你产生影响
What it does to me?
影响我什么
I’m better when I’m with her!
和她在一起我会做得更好
Even you said it. The speech.
你也这样说 比如那次演说
In small doses, Elise was the cure.
偶尔地接触 爱丽丝的确很管用
But in large doses,
但接触多了
she rubs off on you.
她会侵蚀你
Stop.
别说了
David, the president can’t be a loose cannon.
戴维 总统不能我行我素
Stop talking. It’s not working.
别说了 没用的
Why do you refuse to accept
事实都这么显而易见了
what should be completely obvious by now?
你为什么还要推脱
You’ve seen what we can do.
你知道我们的本事
You can’t doubt we are who we say we are.
你不能质疑我们的存在
Look, it’s not about who you are,
听着 问题不在于你们
it’s about who I am.
而是我
Can’t outrun your fate, David.
戴维 你无法逃脱你的命运
I just disagree with you about what my fate is.
我只是不想顺从你所说的命运
I know what I feel for her,
我了解自己对她的感觉
and it’s not going to change.
这种感觉不会变
All I have are the choices that I make.
我有权自己决定
And I choose her,
不论发生什么
come what may.
我都会选择她
It’s 6:20.
现在是六点二十
If you leave now,
如果你现在去的话
you can make Elise’s show.
还能赶上爱丽丝的表演
She’s a beautiful dancer.
她是个美丽的舞者
I thought I made myself clear.
我想我已经说得很清楚了
There is one more piece to this I haven’t mentioned.
还有件事我没告诉你
I guess I just didn’t have the heart.
我想我是不忍♥心告诉你
If you stay with her,
如果你执意跟她在一起
it not only kills your dreams,
不仅会毁了自己的梦想
it kills hers.
也会毁了她的
What?
什么
Elise is about to become
爱丽丝将会成为
one of the most famous dancers in the country,
全美最著名的舞蹈演员之一
and eventually one of the world’s greatest choreographers.
最终会成为全球最了不起的编舞
If she stays with you,
如果和你在一起
she ends up teaching dance to six-year-olds.
她就只能教六岁小屁孩学跳舞了
When you look back at all this, David,
戴维 当你回首这一切的时候
just remember we tried to reason with you.
别怪我们没提醒过你
I always hear people saying,
我常听人说
“You can’t blame yourself for what happens to other people,”
发生在别人身上的不幸不要归咎于自己
but in this case, really, you can.
但这件事 的确是你的错
This is what you do, David.
你就是这样的人 戴维
This is what you did getting into a bar fight the night you first got elected.
所以你会在初选之夜在酒吧打架
What you did to get that embarrassing photo in The New York Post.
丢人的照片还被登在纽约邮报上
We give you opportunities other people would kill for,
这些机会别人挤破头也争取不到
and you squander them with impulse.
你却如此轻率地浪费
It doesn’t take a genius to see Elise
是个人都能看出来
isn’t exactly helping you with this.
爱丽丝对你并没有帮助
It’s a sprain, David,
这次只是扭伤 戴维
but if you stay with her,
但如果你还和她在一起
you’ll take away the only thing she ever cared about.
你会剥夺她唯一在乎的东西
It’s up to you.
你自己看着办
It’s just a sprain.
只是脚扭伤了
Yeah.
是的
The doctor said it’s going to be better in a month or less.
医生说最多一个月就能好
That’s totally unexpected.
幸好没大碍
I’m so relieved.
我也松了口气
Great. Great.
那就好
You’re such a great dancer,
你的舞跳得真好
and you’ll heal up and just get better and better.
你会没事的 之后还会越跳越好
I’m going to go make a couple phone calls.
我去打几个电♥话♥
Okay.
好
Okay.
好
I’m so happy for you.
我真为你高兴
It’s done. Thompson finished it.
好了 汤普森搞定了
I know.
我知道
You can’t let it get to you
你没必要为此感到困扰
like it did with his family.
他家的遭遇曾一度让你自责
This is the job.
这是工作需要
You ever wonder
难道你从没想过
if it’s right?
这到底是对是错吗
I mean,
我是说
if it’s always right?
难道这一切都是对的吗
Not like I used to.
我现在不想这么多了
Look, Chairman has the plan.
局长自有他的规划
We only see part of it.
我们看到的只是其中一部分
I was talking to some friends of ours over in Monroe County this morning,
今天早上跟门罗县的几个朋友聊天时
and you know I said something to them that I think
说起一件事
a lot of you may have heard me say before,
之前你们大概听我说过
but it bears repeating.
但仍值得一提
David Norris, who has spent the
戴维·诺里斯 经过在惠特利县
last two days campaigning in the Tri-Lakes area
为期两天的竞选运动
received some welcome news yesterday
昨日传来喜讯
when the latest New York Times poll
最新纽♥约♥时♥报♥民♥意♥调查显示
gave him a 16-point lead over his opponent.
其支持率领先竞选对手十六个百分点
less than a month before election day.
而距选举只剩不到一个月的时间
Since his announcement 11 months ago,
他十一个月前发表声明参选
Norris has had a significant lead…
如今诺里斯已遥遥领先
Hi. Thanks. Thanks a lot.
谢谢 非常感谢
Yeah, thank you. I need it. Thank you.
谢谢 我需要你们 谢谢
Who should I make it out to? My nephew, Miles.
写给谁 我侄子 迈尔斯
There you go. Thank you so much.
给 谢谢
Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure.
不客气
Thank you. My pleasure. Pleasure.
谢谢 我的荣幸
Can we get a picture with you?
我们能和你合影吗
Sure, come on.
当然 来吧
Thank you. Thanks.
谢谢 谢谢
I want to show you this, because you would find out eventually.
我想给你看看这个 反正你早晚都会知道
I want to be here when you do.
我只是不想让你一个人看到
She’s getting married to that guy she was engaged to.
她要结婚了 他们之前就定过婚
You okay?
你还好吧
I think I’m going to…
我想…
Take a day off.
请天假
Hell, take a couple. We’re 16 points up.
休两天吧 我们领先16点
Yeah, even I can’t blow a lead that big.
就算我没领先那么多也一样
Congressman, good to see you again.
议员先生 很高兴又见到你
Your friend just left you this.
你朋友刚给你留了这个
He said you would be stopping by.
他说你会过来